[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the story on coated bolts and such? Is it just an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 446331.jpg (30KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
446331.jpg
30KB, 880x660px
What's the story on coated bolts and such? Is it just an excuse to have gold parts on your rifle, or does it have actual benefits?
>>
>>34083751
What are you, a poorfag?
Hey everyone, laugh at this poorfag
>>
Its a gimmick. But i just bought a cryptic bronze because its aesthetic as fuck
>>
>>34083751
It might defend against corrosion, but the gold could wear off on a bolt.
>>
It's easier to clean and that's about it. For the price I would rather buy two regular bcgs. Then you have twice the bolt life and you can just swap em out when they're dirty. Toss the dirt one in a sonic cleaner while you shoot the clean one
>>
>>34083775
>the comic about expensive shit still being shit
>>
>>34083751
I've heard some power coating are really good for BCG and you can get them is any color you want.
>>
>>34083751
I have a couple of NiB bcgs and triggers. They tend to clean up easy and work smoother, especially when dirty.

Don't buy anything for looks. An NiB coating discolors over a few hundred rounds. I would imagine the same for any other color. Also, don't coat a crap bgc. It'll still be a crap bcg with an expensive coating. Instead buy a good bgc from a company that offers a coated option. They're usually only a few bucks more than a standard non-coated bgc.
>>
Only real benefit in my opinion comes from the nickel boron plated ones. Carbon deposits just wipe right off and cleaning the BCG is so much easier with it. And the smoother texturing (down to the atomic layer) must mean less friction and resistance on it. So even when dirty it should help with reliability some I would think
>>
>>34084007
Why is the whole bolt coated and not only the contact surfaces though?
>>
>>34083751
It provides slightly better lubricity and is slightly easier to clean...At a (generally) much higher cost.

That being said, the original design called for a hard chromed BCG/bolt, but the military felt the extra expenditure wasn't worth it. It's likely that the improved coating are better, but I would argue most people buying them are, indeed, buying merely for the aesthetic factor.
>>
File: cryptic_coatings.jpg (63KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
cryptic_coatings.jpg
63KB, 1000x600px
>>34083751
swigitty swagitty swag
>>
>>34083751
easier to clean is the only practical advantage

they claim smoother cycling, which makes some sense, and lessened recoil impact but ive yet to see any evidence of that

just get a phosphate bolt
>>
>>34084299
it's easier to just toss the entire bolt into the electroplating tub, instead of selectively plating small sections.
>>
It's stupidity, also the last thing on an AR to wear out.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.