[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am purchasing a gun this weekend and my friend said because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1487469151658.jpg (133KB, 795x784px) Image search: [Google]
1487469151658.jpg
133KB, 795x784px
I am purchasing a gun this weekend and my friend said because I was diagnosed with depression in high school that I will fail the background check. I was never on suicide watch or anything other serious like that.

So /k/ will I fail my background check?
>>
>>34081319
No.
>>
No. There is no central medical database that they could draw that information from.

Don't shoot yourself though, it makes us look bad.
>>
Nope, you should be fine
>>
>>34081356
Not really depressed anymore, turned my life around so that shouldn't be an issue.
>>
no. just answer NO to 11f, do not say yes.
>>
>>34081319
Only matters if a judge has committed you.
>>
>>34081319
Have you been "involuntarily" institutionalized? if yes- no you cannot *legally* own a firearm. If voluntarily institutionalized, then things get a little tricky/precarious.
>>
>>34081319
No.

But worst case scenario get your friend to buy it for you.
>>
>>34081475

Voluntary admission restrictions varies by state. Florida for instance only has restrictions on people who "voluntarily" went into a ward in order to avoid going in front of a judge. This requires you to literally sign a form stating "I am voluntarily entering into treatment and if I don't volunteer then they will commit me involuntarily." They only do this to people who don't want to go into a program but also don't want to go to court and have a record.
>>
>>34081319
No, if you just say no to involuntary institutionalization. I was in the air force 2yrs ago and I got put on suicide watch and then ELSed in basic with a 3mo suspension and the chance to come back (pfft, fuck those assholes, all I said is that I wanted a phone call and they pressured me into saying I was suicidal, so they can eat shit). Anyways, I still got my carry permit and my funs, so you can definitely get one.
>>
>>34081487

That's breaking two laws, and not just one. In fact if you attempt to get a gun legally and fail the background check, it is only a crime if you did so in bad faith. Like you're a criminal who hasn't had their rights restored and you know full well you can't legally buy a gun. But good faith is preserved.

Again IANAL.
>>
>>34081519
Well then don't if you care about the law that keeps you disarmed.
>>
>>34081319
Your friend doesn't know shit.

If you weren't involuntarily committed you're fine.
>>
>>34081545

You can still get a god damn gun, most states have a time limit on how it's been since you were committed. IIRC in Florida it is 5 years, and you need to jump through a few hoops. Your suggestion slaps the seller with a misdemeanor and a felony and the buyer with at least a misdemeanor.
>>
>>34081319
You'll be fine. 11f only asks if you have been "adjudicated as a mental defective". In other words, you'll be fine unless you were ordered by a court to receive mental health treatment or something similar. I've actually spent time in a mental ward when I was a teenager and can buy guns now.
>>
File: Map of Texas Gun Owners.png (6KB, 816x343px) Image search: [Google]
Map of Texas Gun Owners.png
6KB, 816x343px
>>34081319
I've been diagnosed with major depressive disorder in the recent past and I can buy guns. You'll be fine unless a judge literally ordered you to be involuntarily institutionalized.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.