[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My dream gun is currently on gunbroker, but I've never used

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: gb.png (5KB, 296x170px) Image search: [Google]
gb.png
5KB, 296x170px
My dream gun is currently on gunbroker, but I've never used it before.

Should I wait until the auction is almost over to bid? It has 36 hours left and one bidder.
>>
>>34067143
No. Just put the highest price you're wiling to pay and call it good. It will auto-outbid the other guy. There's a 15 min window at the end of the bid period to discourage sniping (as on Ebay) so really, it's point-and-shoot simple.

Honestly, GunBroker is probably one of the best auction sites of any kind on the internet.
>>
>>34067166
yea this.
>>
File: pepe frog.jpg (7KB, 241x209px) Image search: [Google]
pepe frog.jpg
7KB, 241x209px
>>34067166

But what if the other bidder sees that I've beat him out and increases his max? Wouldn't it make sense to wait until the end and hope he doesn't notice?
>>
>>34067166
Seconding this.
>>34067206
No. Because again, 15 minute window.

If a bidder bids on a gun that has 15 minutes or less on it, it resets back to 15 minutes.

It also sends email alerts(If you set that up) and phone app alerts(If you set that up) if you've been outbid.

So like zed said, put your max price, leave it alone.
>>
>>34067245

But it ends in the morning, and that other bidder may be working or asleep depending on their lifestyle.

I see no strategic benefit to putting a bid in now.
>>
>>34067252
Then wait.
>>
>>34067143
people dont snipe on gunbroker but if u bid now it will give him until auction end to decide to say fuck it and bid higher so i normally wait until its about to end anyway
>>
>>34067206
So you're saying you should pay more than you want for an item...?

Bid what you're willing to pay. You'll either win or lose. Nothing you do can change that.
>>
>>34067340
Auctions are definitely tough.

I believe it's designed so that the seller will ultimately sell for above market or material value. Most cases for an auction are "I have something not readily available and am willing to ditch it."

If it's something readily available and the buyer pays above market value then they're a fucking moron. Auctions are therefore a seller's market for items not readily attainable.
>>
>>34067252

You set a maximum bid, it'll outbid the current highest bid automatically.

Let's say its at 400$ right now, and you set your highest to 600$. It doesn't bid 600 automatically, it'll simply outbid the current highest by 5$ and then wait until someone, let's say, puts their highest bid at 450$. At which point, your bids will fight, and since you have a higher cap, it would out bid his 450$ by, again, 5$.

I see what you're saying, but I wouldn't attempt to snipe as that might make things more competitive and cause you guys to over pay.

I bought a Webley a few weeks back, I waited until the last hour or so, set my highest, and just watched it go. Figure out how much you're willing to pay, and then be at peace with what happens.

That all being said, good luck!
>>
>>34067143
>>34067166

Don't listen to Zed, he's literally been ruining /k/ for 10 years now.

If you are bidding on a commodity with no known firm value, or grading system, it's basically impossible to tell how much the actual object is worth other than you spitballing. The notion that you should only bid as high as you are willing is counter-intuitive for two reasons:

- Reason #1 being the item might actually be worth more than you thought it was, and so you never really made a bid that would place you within the relatively safe zone of securing the item. (For instance, if you bid 2k on something but didn't know it regularly went for 3k.)

- Reason #2 you don't do this is because you are ultimately performing an inverse haggle with the auctioneer. You want to make the best bid you can, but also don't wan to overbid. For example, you are a billionaire. Should you therefore just buy every item you ever buy from no one above MSRP because you're a billionaire? No, absolutely not. Just because someone has the money, you shouldn't fritter it away stupidly. Consequently you want to engage in loss aversion, and not overbid on an item simply because you can.

The best thing you can do is find out how the item has sold for in previously completed auctions (which you can do in the Advanced Search menu), and then see if those prices fit with what you are comfortable with spending. If not, you likely don't stand a chance at winning. If they do - go ahead and make a bid slightly below market price. That way if it does go to 15 over time, you can still make a bid you are willing to make and secure the item.
>>
>>34067516
>The best thing you can do is find out how the item has sold for in previously completed auctions

It's a surplus tier item but they've become rare in the past year. The price is fairly low, and has been lower in recent years, but this is the first one I've seen listed in six months. So while there were some around for sub 300 last year, I don't think that's necessarily representative of the demand right now.
>>
>>34067516
>Reason #1 being the item might actually be worth more than you thought it was, and so you never really made a bid that would place you within the relatively safe zone of securing the item.
Does not matter if it's more than you can afford to, or want to, pay in the first place.
>For example, you are a billionaire. Should you therefore just buy every item you ever buy from no one above MSRP because you're a billionaire?
If you want it, why not? Saving a few bucks to wait months, or possibly years for something when you can have it now and afford it now is foolish. Time is money.
>>
>>34067516

I'm sorry but everything as a value, either a commonly accepted value, or for more obscure items, you can quantify how much it means to you. Just because something is worth 3k doesn't mean you want to pay 3k. Maybe in your hypothetical, the buyer would've liked to have gotten the item the 2k, and if not, he wouldn't want it any longer. That's the purpose of a maximum bid.
>>
>>34067166
suck a dick faggot
>>
>>34067573

Then widen your search to gun forums, subreddits, and other sites like armslist. You just need more data.

>>34067576

>Does not matter if it's more than you can afford to, or want to, pay in the first place.

Then you were never going to get it via auction, so your argument is moot. I want a fucking STG-44, but I am not going to bid stupidly on one in the hopes that someone magically doesn't outbid me or the seller forgot to set a reserve.

>If you want it, why not? Saving a few bucks to wait months...

It depends on relative value. If it's something where overbidding means you put in a few extra dollars, whatever. You are probably going to spend more on shipping. The problem is when it's a high value commodity with a tenuous estimate for its true value, combined with a known rarity. Then you can accidentally overbid by thousands of dollars because someone else wanted it just as badly as you.
>>
>>34067573
post the auction i might wanna bid on it too
>>
>>34067166
I still don't fucking get why ebay doesn't have the 15 minute system gunbroker has
>>
>>34067573

Also, what is it?

I am not in the market for any new guns/militaria (I literally bought two guns yesterday along with a shit ton of ammo, so I am all tapped out), but I could potentially see if I can find some sort of more recent sales for the item for you. If you don't want to post it here (for some reason), you could email me the link: [email protected]

I am not doing anything this evening besides finger fucking my guns and then literally fucking an ona hole before sleeping.
>>
>>34067681

They want overbidding.

I am not sure what GB's take on auctions is, but with eBay it is 10% off the final listing.
>>
>>34067657
>the hopes that someone magically doesn't outbid me or the seller forgot to set a reserve
Happens all the time. I've benefited from it many times.
>>
>>34067379
What the buyer is willing to pay IS the market value.
>>
>>34067516
That assumes you're buying it with the intention of selling it. If you're buying it because you just want it, then nothing matters except how much you're willing to pay.
>>
>>34067755
This.
>>
bid at 15:00 from close, do I need to even tell you this? I swear you guys are fucking retarded sometimes
>>
on a gunbroker related note, what email provider did yall use to sign up with? or did you pay the 2$ to register with gmail/yahoo/etc?
Im wondering if theyll recognize a paid protonmail account
>>
>>34067516
You are overthinking this

Researching is part of how you determine your max bid, you find its value then you make your max bid a function of that value, the cash you have at hand and your desire to own the item

Believing that max bid only means whatever is in your bank account is is pretty dumb presumption
>>
>>34067516

allllll thiiiiis buuuuuuullshit. listen to zed op, at least we know he has one gun.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.