[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what's the deal with the L85A2? >Troops generally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: l85a2[1].jpg (65KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
l85a2[1].jpg
65KB, 600x400px
So what's the deal with the L85A2?

>Troops generally enjoy it
>No stoppages in a test of 65,000 rounds
>No issues with mags
>Modernized with rails and other useful variants

I've heard people say "The gun so bad even the Germans couldn't fix it" but it seems like they did, so what gives?
>>
>>34051930
That ACOG mount looks fucking retarded.
>>
>I've heard people say "The gun so bad even the Germans couldn't fix it"
Thats an obvious meme. Delete this shit thread.
>>
>>34051930
>"The gun so bad even the Germans couldn't fix it"
That's not what I heard, I heard that "the gun was so bad they had to get HK to redesign it", which is mostly true.
>>
>>34051951
You can't just say mate and hope that's enough to convince people you're a squaddie.

So fuck off cadet.
>>
>>34051999
If your Dad is young enough to have used an A2 for any extended period then you're not old enough to post here.
>>
>>34051930
I wish they had made one with a carry handle optic like the G36. Like a pseudo-SUSAT or something.
>>
>>34051999
Ahahha and there we have it. A kid indeed.

P.S. I knew full well you hadn't touched an L85A2 hence why you're talking shit about it.
>>
>>34052011
This feller is correct, you are either underage or your dad is parroting on about the A1.
>>
>>34052011
>A2 been in service since 2001-2
>If your Dad is young enough to have used an A2 for any extended period then you're not old enough to post here.
How do you come to that conclusion? Anons dad could be anywhere from 34 to 50, and that's just assuming the extreme that hes been using it first adoption. If it was a legal teen pregnancy, anon could be in his 30s.
That aside, "my daddy said" is not a reliable source.
>>
>heavier than the FAL
Seriously how the fuck did the brits manage to fuck up an intermediate caliber design so much that it weighs more than a full rifle caliber design.
>>
>>34052185
>>heavier than the FAL

it's not though
>>
>>34051930
>>No stoppages in a test of 65,000 rounds
A claim that hilarious I wouldn't even expect from a Russian defending his AK.
>>
>>34051930
that gun is extremely unreliable havent u guys ever played stalker
>>
It has spent most of its service life as a liability, and even though it has finally been brought into an acceptable state, it is still unnecessarily heavy for its capabilities compared to its NATO contemporaries. Oh, its one unique selling point as being part of a family of weapons with the L86 LSW hasn't worked since first the army got the FN MINIMI as LMG replacement since it was gash at sustained fire, then they bought a LMT made 7.62x51 DMR since it was lacking at Afghan ranges.
>>
>>34051930
Kind of tired of saying this, but I'll say it again.

A1= fried horseshit.
A2= reliable, pointable, accurate, but unergonomic. Once you get used to it it's pretty good.
>>
>>34051949
Yeah it does look off doesn't it
>>
>>34052424
Basically this.

They would be infinitely better off if they just adopted Colt C8s and were done with it.
>>
>>34051930
Jesus the kiddies crawling out of the woodwork to talk shit about a gun they've only seen in cawwadooey while never actually touching a firearm is beyond pathetic.

B& anon, I hope you see this and quit being a fucking idiot.
>>
The A2 is fine. It's perfectly acceptable as a service rifle. People just love to meme about it. Just shows people base their beliefs on rumor and first impressions more than facts.
>>
>crossbar safety is poorly marked. Looks like a take down pin.
>selector switch is in an awful place. Most soldiers don't bother with it.
>>
>>34052424
This.

The L85 as a whole gets shit on thanks to the a1 being dogshit. Its the same thing like the M16a1 being all FUBARed, so everyone hates on all M16 variants for the longest time.
>>
>>34054646
> Only for those doing familiarity with it, and idiots.
> Somewhat true. To be fair most of the boys have never bothered with the Fun setting because thats the minimis job.
>>
>>34054656
>M16a1
the m16a1 is the improved version retard
it is as reliable as any variant made today
>>
>>34054706
I know that. But it is the same case of lore and a heritage of shit that follows it because it started with the first model.
>>
>>34051956
this, next time you post bait OP, make sure you dont play all your cards in one post.
>>
>obligatory forgotten weapons
>L85 A1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDCRop6CRwY
>SA80 History: L85 A1 vs A2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js4d8c7KzCQ
>>
>>34051930
>but it seems like they did, so what gives?

The main improvements were to reliability, but there remain fundamental flaws inherent to the design.

>probably the heaviest modern service rifle
>total nightmare for left handed shooters
>fire selector located behind the magazine
>proprietary optics

Other rifles may share one or two of these disadvantages, but none that I can think of share all of them. Even the QBZ-95, which is totally shit for many of the same reasons is still at least a lighter rifle.

L85 is now a usable rifle, but still not a particularly good one as service rifles go.
>>
>>34051930
>So what's the deal with the L85A2?
>Troops generally enjoy it

You would probably think shit tasted okay if you never ate anything better.
>>
>>34054656
>>34054723
M16 issues in Vietnam were not design related.
>>
>>34059865
yes it was. other than the gunpowder thing 5.56 was a shit round for jungle combat. when u try to push a bullet that small that fast it will fly off course when it hits a leaf or twig. 7.62x39 is a much better round in the jungle
>>
>>34060659
maximum fuddlore
>>
>>34060659
Every high velocity rifle round will deflect off of branches.
>>
>>34060711
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5dve7vAY9I
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.