[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WWII >gets surprised by Japs in the Phillippines >So slow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: douglas_macarthur-P.jpg (349KB, 1038x539px) Image search: [Google]
douglas_macarthur-P.jpg
349KB, 1038x539px
WWII
>gets surprised by Japs in the Phillippines
>So slow to mobilize that even hours into the invasion, USAAF planes were still sitting wing to wing on the runway without orders to scramble and get ripped to shreds
>Lets the Army get surrounded and pushed into the mountains and captured while he chills on an island off the coast until is recalled by the President
>Performed SO badly as an Army general that an Admiral is made the overall commander of all forces in the Pacific

Korean War
>Thinks the Chinese are subhuman and incapable of launching a strong attack against the US
>Pushes the Norks all the way back to almost the Yalu river, basically playing chicken with Mao
>All while finding dead Chinese """""""""""volunteers""""""""""""
>Sends the marines into the Chosin reservoir without support, in three groups that are too thinly spread to link with each other to defend
>Allows them to basically get surrounded by the Chinese who he STILL thinks can't give the US a bloody nose
>whines to the media to make himself look good and Truman look bad because he wasn't allowed to engage in a full scale war with China and possibly even nuking them
>A red China that during this time was still under the Soviet protection umbrella, meaning if China went to outright war with the US, so would Russia

Why is he considered a good general again?
>>
>>34047302
Sounds like a faggot. Case dismissed.
>Insert JudgeJudy.jpg here.
>>
>>34047327
I get that you're being a cool guy and trying to bait, but I need to know; Was saying the wrong general part of the bait or are you actually that functionally defective? I kinda already know the answer due to the quality of the bait, but still, holy shit.
>>
>>34047302
Fucking prima donna, and his diversion of troops to retake the Phillipines (after fucking it up in the first place) pulled resources from more strategically useful invasions.
>>
>>34047327
When did Hotepism become a meme on 4Chan of all places.
>>
>>34047440
Lmao, the Army has always been gunning for the Philippines at the very start. The Muhreens are enough for those small ass chickenshit islands in the Pacific.
>>
>>34047302
I've been needing to ask I've been refuting you trumanite anti MacArthur cucks for months now. Where are you getting all this bullsit and poor understanding of war in particular chain of command or naval realities. I need to ask because it sounds like some idiot who's never read the primary sources released a hitjob documentary or a book or something. Where are you fags getting all this revisionist history assassinating historical figures. I was annoyed with the new pseudo intellectual attacks on Jefferson, but the pure amount of not knowing shit about ww2 i find in anti MacAruthur posts is astounding. Where are you getting all this from?
>>
>>34047302
I thought he's considered total shit-tier by most historians.
>>
>>34047625
>DUDE LMAO DISAGREE WITH WAR DEPARTMENT'S PLAN TO DEFEND THE PHILIPPINES.
>KYK MOVE DEFENSES TO THE SHORELINE FYT THEM ON THE BEACHES.
>Philippines is an Archipelago and therefore has a largeass shoreline.
>Defenses get spread out, logistics nightmares ensue, when the Nips land they virtually do it unopposed.
>Fall back to the war department plan of creating a single hardpoint on the northern Island.
>>
>>34047641
>>34047660
Most historians have zero understanding of war and focus on civilian bs. Or the fact that MacArthur was facing Ryujo and 9 other ijn heavy cruisers aswell as several ijn destroyer groups. With nothing more than 17 pre wilkes class ww1 destroyers. He never would have been able to defend the Philippines effectively. People like to point at muh numbers of which he did not have enough to deal with the naval block aid destroying his supply lines. Kinda hard to fight on an idland when you relly on trade to get enough food and you have no fucking supple lines and can't break the fuck massive ijn fleet People also point to the airforce. He wouldn't have been able to do much with roughly 50 old out of repair p-40's with rookie pilots against Japanese veterans. The b-17's had he been actually notified by his army airforce commander to preempt with likely would have done little. Unlike your delusions firing at the shoreline would have been a retarded plan and never worked for anyone ever during the war. Pulling them in was the better decision yet like I said he was doomed from the start. The phillipenes are fucking impossible to defend it's never been done their are far to many methods of ingress. This was compounded by MacArthur getting fucked over by Washington pre war. Who should really be blamed for the event is FDR who fucking KNEW for years that a war in the pacific was of high likely hood and had a fucking decade of time as president(THE HIGHEST MILITARY OFFICIAL IN THE US) yet he did jack shit for preparation. Our navy was a complete disaster. All militrary planning was fucking garbage the equipment was all bad the training was bad. Instead fags like you desperately try to pin it on the ww1 general who had been retired for 3 years and pulled off the greatest naval landing in history just to coddle FDR and Truman's memory. Good day friendo.
>>
>>34047660
Can you answer my question of your source for all your anti MacArthur angst was there a movie or a recent book?
>>
>>34047801
>>34047625
You sound really bootyblistered over it, but I know that Ken Burn's "The War" and PBS's Chosin documentary weren't very friendly to him.
>>
Macarthur DELIBERATELY lost the Phillipines & the bomber force there

Thats why he is only rewarded for his failures
>>
>>34047801
>opposed bureaucracy and physically removed communists
>why doesn't the mass media like him?

You can nitpick the actions of literally any general in hindsight, it's generally actually done to discredit them as a political figure.
>>
>>34047440
Taking the Philippines instead of Formosa wasn't a bad move, pulling troops from the attack on Luzon to wipe out every chickenshit little Nip garrison was though.
>>
>>34047302
>Why is he considered a good general again?

He's not.
>>
>>34048184
But everything OP posted were inherent failures of MacArthur that you can't imagine Ike doing.
>>
File: Time for Espresso.png (205KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
Time for Espresso.png
205KB, 500x280px
>>34047780
Fuck, son. Was Dugout Doug your daddy or something?

You're putting more effort into defending his legacy than he did fighting the Japs!
>>
File: 394623.jpg (519KB, 1277x1644px) Image search: [Google]
394623.jpg
519KB, 1277x1644px
>>34047780
>I just read 'American Caesar' and am now an expert historian.
>>
Why are US commanders like MacArthur and Patton so overrated?
>>
>>34047780
>Our navy was a complete disaster.
Lmao what?

>>34047801
Recently declassified material made it clear that everyone else thought that restricted warfare played more to UN strengths, and they make a far better case than Mac made for nuclear war
>>
>>34047302

because he won
>>
>>34048184
>literally any general

Yes, but its usually easier to paint a picture of someone as a glory seeking, blundering narcissist when the figure in question seems to provide so many good examples.
>>
>>34047780
>Most historians have zero understanding of war
and you have even less.

GTFO.
>>
>>34047780
the problem with McFagthur isn't really a lack of competence, but his hubris causing him to commit strategic mistakes.

Since you're a dumb fuck on 4chan, let me break it down to terms you can understand.

MacFagthur is what a 4chan poster who is going for broke after making incorrect assertions and getting called out for it would be if he were the General of the Army.
>>
>>34050418
Because they became famous during a time of peak patriotism and were charismatic and eccentric enough to become bigger than themselves. If Admiral Halsey could get away with sailing into two separate typhoons, killing nearly 800 sailors, while avoiding any sort of disciplinary action because of his "prior service record," you can imagine how much these men and their legacies meant to the general public.
>>
>>34050418
Cult of personality and being in the right place at the right time. Same reason Beatty kept getting promoted desipte being a pretty terrible squadron commander.
>>
File: vietnam heli art (140).jpg (52KB, 566x378px) Image search: [Google]
vietnam heli art (140).jpg
52KB, 566x378px
>Before heading to Saigon, [Westmoreland] met to discuss the new assignment with retired general Douglas MacArthur. According to Westmoreland’s memoir, MacArthur “urged me to make sure I always had plenty of artillery, for the Oriental, he said, ‘greatly fears artillery,’” and suggested that Westmoreland might have to employ a “scorched earth policy” in Vietnam.

>As U.S. troops began to flood into the country in the mid-1960s, Eggleston’s guidance quickly gave way to policies that hewed to MacArthur’s advice. In September 1965, Westmoreland issued MACV Directive Number 525-3. Ostensibly concerned with “minimizing non-combatant battle casualties,” it actually turned vast swaths of the South Vietnamese countryside into areas where anyone and anything was fair game for U.S. firepower. “Free strike zones should be configured to eliminate populated areas except those in accepted VC bases,” the directive decreed—thus declaring open season on millions of Vietnamese.
>>
>>34050712
this fuck should have been tried for war crime.
>>
>>34050627

You shut your whore mouth about my Beatty.
>>
>>34051118
Beatty was a dumbass whose incompetence resulted in the death of 3,000 sailors in the Battle of Jutland, probably extended the war by a year, and who likely would have died at Jutland if not for the excellent performance of officers from Jellicoe's side of the fleet.
>>
>>34051118
Beatty was trash. Jericho made jutland at least a victory.
>>
>>34047302

By who?

What reasons do they give?

I get you're a faggot, but you don't have to advertise it.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.