[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for people who have served in the military: How do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: 1493009856049.jpg (447KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1493009856049.jpg
447KB, 1024x768px
Question for people who have served in the military:

How do you deal with worried parents? Has anyone here almost gone through with joining the military but not because of how worried your parents would be?

I'm in my early twenties and they still just don't even like to talk about the possibility of me signing up. Also it looks like the only option for me left at this point is the FFL so it's not like there would be lots of opportunities for me to visit/call home.
>>
>>34042706
if you're that big of a puss, you wouldn't last long in selection.
>>
>>34042706
you're a fucking adult you stupid cunt, they can't tell you what to do.
>>
>>34042706
Jesus FUCK, you're a grown man. Go do your own thing.

For me? I left at 19 (tried college, didn't work) and didn't come back until i was 23. Parents were career military during peacetime, so they worried, but I told them I would send word because "no news is good news."

Quit being a bitch, go, and chase down something. I can guarantee you'll regret it if you don't.
>>
>>34042706

is this what a normal family relationship is like
>>
>>34042706
I have 2 questions, one for the OP and one for the /k/ommandos who served.

1. Is age 25 too late to serve in the Army? I'm just about to start my semester at a state university, I have also gotten an AA in arabic so I would like to do something with the language while also in the field.

2. OP why is the FFL looking like your only option? Thats probably the worst choice if youre in the US.
>>
>>34042726
With today's helicopter parents? Yes.

>>34042738
Talk to a recruiter. Your language skills might be of use. Agewise....you're borderline. I heard the window was at 24, but this was in 2004.
>>
Ignore the keyboard commandos OP, it's a perfectly normal feeling and every person and their situation is different so comparing your self to other people might not be the best thing to do.

Just ask your self how important it is to you.
>>
>>34042706
I haven't served yet but my parents are exactly the same about me joining up. My parents really aren't the kind of parents that you can talk back to so it's kind of difficult for me to basically say "fuck you I can do what I want" because that's just not how I was brought up.
However, I just told them that it's what I want to do with my life and it's what I'm going to do no matter what you say. They still don't like the idea but at least now they know that I'm not bullshitting
>>
I'm 19, leaving for fort benning in July. My mom cries every other day. Either on the phone while I'm at work or over at my house to me or my fiance.

It gets over bearing at times, but she's going to have to learn I'm any adult and I live on my own therefore I'll do what I please.

Just don't let the regret choke you up op
>>
>>34043952
>19
>Joining the Army
>Fiance

Don't get to attached to her anon.
>>
>>34043535
No legally declared wars does not mean no wars.

OP: Your parents are going to worry no matter what you do.
>>
>>34044602
This.
Seriously.
>>
>>34044637
this
oldfag here.

one of the best memories from childhood was when my father came home from vietnam.
when i served my dear old mom knew the drill, but still worried over me.
when my son was deployed to afghanistan i was VERY concerned with his well being.
so good luck with your military career and know there's no way around this one.
>>
If you're going to obey your parents' will and you're in your early twenties, you don't belong in the military. Make your own decisions. You can reassure them that you'll be ok, but foregoing a life choice because you're worried about what they think means you never really left home.
>>
>>34044735
Yep. It's just what parents do. It doesn't matter if you're inna Afghanistan or inna college. They're going to worry.
>>
>>34043952
>>34044602
>>34044692

Is there a financial benefit to joining the military while already married/planning to get married? Because this is one thing I've never understood about young guys who joined the military, getting married right before they join up.
>>
>>34044971
Not unless you count child support and alimony as a 'benefit'.
>>
You gotta let them know you're your own man. Of you can't do that. Find something else.

The cut off is usually 24, But if you're in shape and have some skills to offer, it wouldn't be that hard and I've seen people just a year or two shy of 30 getting in. But they have a place to go and a job set out that some 18 year old fuck up isn't going to do.
Also from what I understand, unless you're a perfect specimen, have some highly desired skill, or most importatly have some combat experiance usually the ffl won't take you. If you can't get into the army or marines the ffl probably won't take you, the only exclusion is some minor criminal charge.
But talk to a recruter they can make things happen. >>34044971
Yeah they get fantastic benefits usually a housing allowance, they can live off of you, it's not easy, especially if you're a lower pay grade. But it can be done.
The reason you see so many though, inmaturity. Most young marines I've met, never owned a car, never been able to go somewhere without there parents taking them. Only been with one girl from high school, that they've mustered up the courage to talk to right before they leave for basic. They get fit, paid, and some where half way through a tour in Japan or Hawaii they send them a ring, then they either find out about the other guys she's with or she plays it off and leaches on, because no other guy that age around her has the same prospects.
>>
File: 1490477590806.png (611KB, 780x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490477590806.png
611KB, 780x720px
>>34043952
>Fiance
I hope you like it when Jody fucks your bitch, anon.
>>
I joined at 17 so I had to have my parents sign a waiver. They didn't really want me to join but signed anyway.

>>34042738
>>34042744
>I heard the window was 24

Lol what? The age limit for the Army was 42 until recently. Now it's 35, same as Navy. Marines and Air Force are 28.
>>
>>34043952
>Fiance
You're either going to be the proud owner of alimony payments to a guy named Jody, or a dependontamous very shortly.
>>
>>34045262
When I was in Oki in the late 90s, there was a LCpl in my shop who was like 35. I think he had been in the National Guard for years, and took a demotion to change branches and go active.
>>
>>34042706
Yep I didn't join because my parents are liberal and my dad is a pacifist. And I know he would never forgive himself. It's one of my biggest regrets in life I looked at joining the Marines right out of hs because I had no clue what I wanted to do. I'm glad I didn't for the sake of my family and this was back in '08 when things where hot in the sand box. Part of why I come here is to see what life could have been like. That said if you don't know what you are doing with your life and you don't mind d being a pog or what ever your job might be in the military. Id say if you have realistic expectations of what you can get out of it. You absoutly should join .

That peace time army and Marines espeshily are a shit show I hear.
>>
>>34042706
>Has anyone here almost gone through with joining the military but not because of how worried your parents would be?
Nope, destroyed my knee before I could enlist. Ripped my kneecap right off and tore a bunch of cartilage out of the joint.
>tfw damn near everyone throughout your childhood and teen years was telling you how 'you'd make one helluva marine' and every aptitude test pointed towards officer's school only to end up medically unfit before you're even old enough to enlist.
>>
>>34042706
>How do you deal with worried parents?
Talk to them about what you want to do and more importantly why. Sell your choice to them.

>Has anyone here almost gone through with joining the military but not because of how worried your parents would be?
No, that's like meta-beta. You have to live your life at some point, no risk no reward and all that.

>I'm in my early twenties and they still just don't even like to talk about the possibility of me signing up.
"mom can I get this tattoo i want?" -wtf?
You are an ADULT, make your own choices ffs.

>Also it looks like the only option for me left at this point is the FFL so it's not like there would be lots of opportunities for me to visit/call home.
If this low-t post is any reflection of your character you would never make it the FFL let alone any other military
>>
>>34042706
Don't worry about worried parents. They will get over it. Or laugh at them. Unless they served themselves, they will freak out the same if you are sent to Kuwait as they would if you get sent to afghanistan or somewhere real.

>>34042712
This.
>>
>>34042706
You ignore them and do what you want because you're a grown ass man that can make your own decisions. It's natural that parents worry but something like this is your own decision to make, not theirs.
>>
>>34042706
You're an adult. You can do whatever the fuck you want.
My dad thought it was great because I was working towards something I cared about, it was a stable job and gave me training I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
My mom thought I was gonna die in Afghanistan or somewhere and didn't realize that the army was like a 9-5, that I got off work and changed out of my uniform and drank and chilled and had weekends off. She assumed it was like basic training for 4 years straight.

And to be honest, all I ever wanted was to die in combat anyway. Never got that chance though
>>
>>34042738
I knew dudes who joined in their mid 30s.
>>
>>34049144
>And to be honest, all I ever wanted was to die in combat anyway.
Same, some day the gates of Valhalla will open to us.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.