[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>buying a shotgun as a first firearm and not a rifle or pistol

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

>buying a shotgun as a first firearm and not a rifle or pistol

Why do people do this
>>
Cheap
Versatile
Doesn't require Pistol permit for states that do

If you can get 1 gun get a shotgun
If you can get 2 guns get a pistol and a rifle
>>
>>34033852
>buys a shotgun
>doesn't learn proper marksmanship
>many places can't shoot them outside of trap ranges
>>
>>34033852
>If you can get 1 gun get a shotgun

I don't know about you but if I could have one gun, it would be a handgun.
>>
>>34033842
Why do you care? Why would anyone care?

This thread is shit and you should feel bad.
>>
>>34033842
Cheap, cheap ammo, most retailers will tell you they're good at HD which is what a lot of first time gun buyers are looking for.
>>
>>34033867
Because I want a discussion on what can be seen as a common beginner mistake.

Fuck off back to whatever shit general you spawned from, nogunz.
>>
>>34033871
Plenty of cheap .22lr firearms and 9mm handguns and such. A ar15 isn't really much more expensive desu.

Birdshot is cheap. Buckshot and slugs? Not cheap at all.

Handgun or rifle is perfectly serviceable for HD, will have cheaper ammo, and easier to learn marksmanship with.

>>34033864
I'd said only if you can get a CC, otherwise I'd want a rifle
>>
>>34033876
>I want a discussion
No you don't. If someone came in here with a decent reason why to get a shotgun as your first gun you would just shit all over them. Asking for opinions and then ripping them apart when you get them is counterproductive and detrimental to /k/
>>
>>34033842
I bought a shotgun as my first gun, here's why:
>I can't hit shit with handguns, but do fine with rifles and shotguns
>commiefornia, so i need to be 21 for handguns anyways as no private sale allowed
>AR-15 too expensive
>.22 can't into home defense
>didn't like slavshit at the time, so no SKS
>fuck bolt actions for home defense
>>
File: 1488893425120.jpg (105KB, 600x442px) Image search: [Google]
1488893425120.jpg
105KB, 600x442px
>>34033864

No, no, no. If a man is going to own only one firearm it should be a rifle. A rifle extends your personal sovereignty from the end of the muzzle out to the distance you can reliably make hits. Handguns and shotguns are not effective at longer ranges and thus offer less options in terms of engagement.
>>
>>34033944
t. larper
>>
>>34033910
>No you don't

Then what's all this shit right here, fuckboy >>34033895

Like I said, fuck off back to whatever shitty general you came from
>>
>>34033910
This
>>34033876
Your smug frog doesn't help, so it makes people think you came here with your mind already made up about the subject. Phrasing your question better next time.
>>
Besides shooting birds out of the sky, a rifle does everything a shotgun can do only better and it can do things NO shotgun can do.
>>
I only own shotguns, four of them. Hunting, sporting clays, HD, another for friends to use,
>>
>>34033966
Tools for a job
>>
>>34033956
Not really, a rifle just does everything a pistol does but better outside of CC, if you aren't going to CC, get a rifle.

Of course this is all from a purely utilitarian standpoint, if you don't care and just want a gun for some range fun and no actual use planned just buy whatever you want.
>>
>>34033944
For the guy buying one gun for their idea of home defense, range like youre describing is unnecessary.
>>34033842
Also something I don't think has been mentioned is that most people believe that you need less skill and marksmanship to operate a shotgun properly. I'm not saying I believe that but it's worth mentioning that the people buying think so.
>>
>>34033960
>so I will complain about a thread being shitty by shitting it up with posting about how bad it is.
>>
>>34033985
Why gimp yourself? You may be right and you never have to leave your house with your gun, but if you ever do Jamal and his buddies with AKs are gonna push your shit in. A rifle witll work just fine for HD AND if you ever have the need for more range it can do that too.

Shotgun is a fucking meme unless you hunt birds or live somewhere you can't own a rifle.
>>
>>34033995
SHOTGUNS AREN'T FUCKING MEMES
SOME PEOPLE ENJOY SPORT SHOOTING YOU LARPING, KILL HUNGRY FAGGOT
>>
>>34033990
Oopsie meant for
>>34033964

>>34033985
So again, why do they buy a shotgun if they believe it takes less marksmanship.
If your the type to buy a shotgun as your only gun, load it with ammo and leave it buy your bedside, never touching it unless you need to defend yourself, then I guess? However I see a lot of /k/ommandos buying them as first guns.
Being /k/ommandos, one's got to assume they have more of an interest in firearms and marksmanship than the average person. So why get the weapon that will sorta cripple your marksmanship training?
>>
File: lol82.png (3KB, 343x543px) Image search: [Google]
lol82.png
3KB, 343x543px
>>34033842

Because they don't see firearms as a hobby, don't plan on buying more than 1 gun, and want something cheap they can defend their home with, and maybe hunt some day if they get around to it.

I know it's hard for autists to put themselves in other people's shoes, but this question really didn't need to be asked.
>>
>>34034006
Lawls UMADBRO?

I said it has a purpose...
>you hunt birds

but HD isn't that purpose. Rifle is better. Always.
>>
>>34033842
Because of 'shotguns are good for home defense' forced meme.
>>
>>34033995

A shotgun has the best first shot stop potential.
Besides, Jamal's friends are all gonna run away when Jamal gets blasted.
I use a rifle for HD too, but pretending the shotgun offers 0 advantages whatsoever is childish.
>>
>>34034017
yes I'm madbro. What HD situation has you magdumping Jamal and his buds from 100+ yards?
>>
>>34034009
>it takes less marksmanship.
You wanna make hits at HD ranges as a noguns faggot that never goes to the range? Get a 10/22 with a 25rd magazine for HD. No recoil, won't blow out your eardrums, MUH capacity, good for weaker people who might not be able to operate a pump. Rifle wins again.
>>
>>34034019
To be fair 00 buck is absolutely fucking devastating against unarmoured people.
>>
File: lol80.jpg (10KB, 185x185px) Image search: [Google]
lol80.jpg
10KB, 185x185px
>>34034030

>.22 for HD
>>
>>34034026
I didn't say it has ZERO advantages just that a rifle has MORE advantages in more varied situations.

And I'm gonna call bullshit on your first shot stop. I defy you to find a single bit of difference in the outcome of a .223 to the face vs a 12ga to the face at 10 feet.
>>
File: 1485242906242.jpg (58KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
1485242906242.jpg
58KB, 460x460px
>>34033944
>No, no, no. If a man is going to own only one firearm it should be a rifle. A rifle extends your personal sovereignty from the end of the muzzle out to the distance you can reliably make hits. Handguns and shotguns are not effective at longer ranges and thus offer less options in terms of engagement.

And you cannot conceal carry a rifle or shotgun. Making them useless. A handgun, while not as effective as a rifle or shotgun is for home defense, a pistol is more versatile despite it being less effective.
>buh-buh-buh muh messenger bag carry!!1

Like you would actually do this shit everyday and this is assuming it's practical.
>>
>>34034027
>not having 100+ yard long hallways
>>
>>34034040
If you don't think 25rds of .22lr in your head/chest will make you change your mind about whatever it is you are doing I can't help you anon.
>>
>>34033842
Cheaper and cheaper ammo

Less finnicky than a hand gun or semi auto rifle

Meaning neglected cleanings aren't a huge deal
>>
Shotguns are cool mmmkay
>>
>>34034047

Was half way through replying seriously, then I noticed you said
>to the face
and realized you're not worth talking to.
Good luck finding someone more on your level.
>>
>>34034048

All you faggots want to put conditions on this shit that aren't in the OP.

If you want to CCW...handgun
If you want to shoot birds out of the sky...shotgun
If you want to do anything else...rifle
>>
>>34033864

Unless your conceal carrying then a handgun as uour only firearm is fucking retarded over a shotgun or rifle
>>
>>34034059
Lawls you can't make shots in a 10" circle at 10 feet with a long gun?
>>
>>34034051
Buckshot and slugs aren't cheap
>>
>>34034072
I can find buckshot for .30 cents a round
>>
>>34033842
Because you can find used single-jingles for Sub-$100 a lot of the time, $150-200 for a used pump, they are rather versatile and are usually easy to do basic cleaning on. As for >>34033864 a lot of first timers are under 21.
>t. Maverick 88 was my first gun and then I got a RIA 1911 and a nugget
>>
>>34033842
To shoot ducks and gooses and shit you city-dwelling faggot.
>>
File: 80678563464596.png (472KB, 666x345px) Image search: [Google]
80678563464596.png
472KB, 666x345px
>>34033842
Versatility mostly. Few firearms can serve as both HD and primary hunting gun. Also, manual-action and breech loaders are pretty cheap.
>>
>>34033842
Cheap, reliable, easy to clean and less "intimidating" to no guns looking to start

No in rail vs over rail slide, no 500 different cartridges to chose from, 99% are either 12 or 20 gauge, people don't look at you like a psycho if you say you got a shotgun especially of you have a no gunz/fudd family
>>
>>34033859
>proper marksmanship
>aim at target
>don't aim at not target
>shoot

Unless you think shotguns are like video games where they're useless past 10 ft and have retarded spread

At 50 yards with an unchoked 20" barrel my spread is only something like 2 or 3 inches
>>
>>34034031
agreed but lets not be silly, armoured B&E punks? not likely.
>>
>>34034050
25?? try 1 round. It will change your mind.
>>
>>34033842
You can hunt pretty much anything with them with the exception of maybe African dangerous game (still works for dangerous African-Americans though) Some animals may prove a challenge to get in range of the shotgun however, I doubt it's feasible to hunt mountain goats with them. You need them to hunt birds as well as participate in clay shooting sports (e.g. sporting clays, five stand, skeet, and trap (not the 4chan kind)). There are plenty of public hunting lands where you can't use rifles too. Overall they are also useful for home defense as they aren't particularly difficult to use, offer good power via buckshot and slugs, and if you're really concerned about being outgunned, there are plenty of good semi-autos available. You still have to aim them, but they are arguably easier to point and shoot than a rifle, especially if they have bead sights.

TLDR, there's tons of good reasons to get a shotgun as a first gun, it just depends on your intended uses.
>>
>>34037112
Shotgun was my first gun solely because you can hunt everything in my state with it
>>
Practical use instead of hobby shooting. Find me a better $150 home defense and hunting weapon.
>>
>>34033842
>good scattergats are cheaper to get into than good rifles (pump shotty ~$350, basic-bitch AR ~$500)
>usually not restricted to the same degree as handguns
>12/20ga ammo is cheap, abundant, and versatile enough to kill everything from doves to large deer
>accuracy isn't as critical with multiple projectiles
>>
Same reason I buy one power drill and a lot of different bits instead of the 73 more expensive dedicated tools that would do a better job or last longer at each of the 73 tasks individually.

You can hunt turkey, deer, dove, and duck; use it effectively for HD, skeet shoot for fun on the off season, and never, ever have a tough time finding ammo or paying for it. Wide range of ammo choice, versatile for just about any situation. All for about $300. I'm fine with that.

Also, many wildlife management areas don't allow rifle hunting, shotgun only.
>>
>>34033842
Some people actually use their firearms for things other than shooting at paper.
>>
>>34034929
>50 yards
>"unchoked"
you mean cylinder bore?
>2 inch spread

you are full of shit. stop lying on the internet
>>
>>34033859
>many places can't shoot them outside of trap ranges
Now, I'm confused.
If you can't shoot a plebeian shotgun outside of officially sanctioned places in your scenario, how in the world are you even going to get permission to purchase an evil cop-killer handgun?
You, Sir, are a deviant.
>>
>>34038324
You try throwing clays at the 50yd rifle range, everyone will push your shot in for that
>>
>>34038240
Nah I'm just dumb, i meant 2 ft not inches
>>
>Cheap
>Versatile
>Very effective at home defense applications
>Maximum effective range of 00 buckshot exceeds the marksmanship skills of a novice shooter
>Possible hunting applications
>Possible sport shooting applications
>Requires practically no aftermarket support to be effective
>Simple to operate
>Ammunition is widely available and extremely standardized

I know this is an alien concept to /k/, but a lot of people don't give a fuck about guns. A lot of people just want a cheapish gun for home protection and that's as far as their interest in firearms goes. They will purchase a gun, take it to the range once or twice, and then leave it to collect dust in their closet, because shooting to them just isn't fun nor interesting.

These people don't give a shit about how modular and tacticool the AR15 platform is because they don't care enough about guns to bother researching aftermarket bullshit. They don't care enough to go to the range every weekend to get good with a handgun. All they want is a cheap, utilitarian gun that comes out of the box ready to blow away a home invader and collect dust.

Shotguns are perfect for this. A top notch shotgun (barring gimmick shotguns like the KSG) will set you back around $650, and they can go MUCH cheaper. My brothers RIA M5 cost him $250, and it is a perfectly fine shotgun. And for that comparatively humble price, you get a gun that requires no modifications or additions to be a devastatingly effective home defense weapon. They require far less practice to become proficient at than a handgun, and tend to have much more simple controls than a rifle, not to mention the ballistic advantages of using shot rather than bullets.

Simply put, shotguns offer everything the average person wants and nothing they don't want.
>>
>>34038458
>Nah I'm just dumb, i meant 2 ft not inches
at 50 yards there would be an 80 inch spread with birdshot
>>
I live in California, I can't get a pistol, and want my first rifle to be something that isn't complete shit
>>
File: 1495226572110.png (492KB, 497x641px) Image search: [Google]
1495226572110.png
492KB, 497x641px
>>34038480
Well said friend, my Remington 870 is my first gun and i luv it
>>
Probably because shotgun is generally cheapest and killiest.
>>
>>34033842
>Why do people do this

People still buy the shotgun is the best home defense gun meme. They are great, they are fun to shoot, and are pretty versatile, but they are not the best home defense gun. Most people making their first purchase likely buy shotguns for one of a few reasons: the "don't have to aim and cut them in half" meme, the "it can't jam" meme, the "first purchase should be a shotgun" meme etc.
>>
>>34038480
Perfect, if you will only ever own 1 gun... make it a pump 12
>>
>>34033842
Because it's cheap as shit and versatile as shit. A shotgun can do decently well at anything but long-range shooting or concealment, and it can do some things no other gun can do at all.

You can hunt literally any game animal in North America with one,from squirrels and small birds to moose and bears if you use big ass slugs, it's perfectly serviceable for HD or as a truck gun, and ammo is cheap and plentiful. Also, they are cheap and easy to maintain, and you can safely buy used ones without worrying much about quality and accuracy. Literally the only things it can't do are shoot at long range or carry conveniently for protection. That's not bad for a gun you can find for under $100.
>>
>>34033842
Because a shotgun is a jack of all trades and a master of none.
>>
>>34033842
Bang for buck ratio.
>>
>>34033842
My first gun was a Winchester 20ga pump. It was light enough to carry all day, capable of hunting small game, water fowl, turkey, deer, black bear, predators, and feral pigs, and was reliable and powerful enough for personal defense. There is no other firearm in the world as versatile as a shotgun.
>>
>>34034017
>rifle is better

Ha, haha!
When you put all 30rds through Jamal and into little Sally in the next apartment/house next door, have fun in civil court explaining how you needed to mag dump a weapon designed for penetration and how 00 buck is a meme.

Neck yourself larping tactifag.
>>
>>34034072
>implying pistol and rifle calibers worth using are
>implying every shotshell is Gucci brenneke tier pricing

Good god, why do I come here anymore? 90% of /k/ are larping COD kiddies, 5% shills, 4% Reddit invaders, and 1% own a firearm.
>>
>>34033842
>Why do people do this
Shotguns are fun, recoil is fun, and it's a fucking shotgun
>>
File: 1491375343019.png (19KB, 192x286px) Image search: [Google]
1491375343019.png
19KB, 192x286px
>>34033944
A shotgun will hit things at any range that you could conceivable non-warfare combat need to extend your sovereignty to, and is a fucking whole hell of a lot more versatile than a rifle is, and this is coming from the owner of 2 rifles and a pistol
>>
>>34033842
Because they like shotguns?
>>
>>34034030
The probably with rimfire has as much to do with reliability as it does terminal ballistics.
>>
>>34042528
*problem
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.