[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If this man broke into my house tomorrow and I had a .357 caliber

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 10

File: big man tyrone x1000.jpg (38KB, 311x400px) Image search: [Google]
big man tyrone x1000.jpg
38KB, 311x400px
If this man broke into my house tomorrow and I had a .357 caliber revolver to defend myself, could two shoots to the chest take him down?

And if not, what caliber of weapon would I need to use?
>>
one shot...
>>
>>34032541
Muscle tissue is not an effective way of stopping bullets.
You only need a single round to hit a vital system in order to stop a threat.
If you're concerned about first-shot probability, just use a shotgun with 00 Buck.
>>
>>34032541
Yes. But let's be honest, you'd bend over and spread your boi pussy for him. I hope you die tommorow and your mom finds muscular black guys saved on your hard drive.
>>
>>34032541
9mm should do. one in the middle of chest.
>>
>>34032554
Never heard of 00 buck anon. What is difference between that and a regular shotgun shell anon?
>>
>>34032567
My lord. Google before you post at least. My my my.
>>
File: shot_sizes.jpg (44KB, 420x369px) Image search: [Google]
shot_sizes.jpg
44KB, 420x369px
>>34032567
00 Buck is a size of shot.
>>
File: anabolic-steroids-for-sale.jpg (33KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
anabolic-steroids-for-sale.jpg
33KB, 1000x666px
What if he was on steroids? What then /k/?
>>
File: esqc5e.jpg (52KB, 680x600px) Image search: [Google]
esqc5e.jpg
52KB, 680x600px
>>34032541
if anything his thickness would make the rounds more effective
>>
>>34032574
Getting shot in the heart or CNS doesn't become less lethal if they are on steroids, PCP or anything else.
>>
>>34032567
its kind of like laying into someone with an smg
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/what-does-a-buckshot-pellet-compare-to-ballistically.308597/
>>
>>34032541
>f this man broke into my house tomorrow and I had a .357 caliber revolver to defend myself, could two shoots to the chest take him down?

.357 Magnum with hollow points has over a ninety percent drop rate with one shot.

.357 is the king of wheelgun home defense rounds, because (A) you can practice and git gud wit .38 special, which is cheap and easy to shoot, and (B) it is a beast for short-range self defense with magnum hollow points.
>>
>>34032580
So even if he was on the most badass drug to date, where he felt no pain whatsoever?

Would he just ignore the pain of being shot and snap your neck or would his body internally shut down because our system cannot handle past a threshold of pain?
>>
>>34032574
...I hope you coated your bullets in estrogen and fatty snacks then.
>>
>>34032587
It has zero to do with pain.
If you get shot in the heart or the central nervous system, you go down pretty much instantly.
>>
File: an american weapon.jpg (34KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
an american weapon.jpg
34KB, 320x240px
>>34032593
Ah, good to know anon. Thank you.

My conclusion is a shotgun with a good choice of shotgun shells seems to be a very good choice for home defense. You point and shoot at his general direction and the shotgun does the rest.

Thanks anon!
>>
>>34032601
>You point and shoot at his general direction and the shotgun does the rest.

Yup. Totally. Point it at your chin and it still hits the intruder. Great stuff.
>>
>>34032574
He is on steroids.
>>
>>34032541
Two .357 shots in the chest from close range will take down a fucking grizzly with high rate of probability.
>>
>>34032593
To add to this, the most common method by which gunshots kill, is loss of blood pressure. Don't matter how much pain you can stand if no blood is going where it needs to go because your vascular system has been depressurized by multiple recently created orifices. So remember, if someone is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting 5 or 6 times.
>>
>>34032541
just use an HK-51B instead
>>
>>34032693
Literally how can a .40 gold dot penetrate less than one inch? You could blame his jacket/shirt for the torso hits, but what about the throat shot that did less than 1"?
>>
>>34032541
Muscle is soft so any caliber can go through it no matter how thick the muscle is.

Your only obstacle is bone and that
.357 would defenetly punch through bone. So would a regular 9mm.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (100KB, 692x720px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
100KB, 692x720px
>>34032739
• At least 107 rounds (.40/.223) were fired by two officers.
• First officer on scene seriously wounded in left forearm and seat-belted in cruiser was unable to return fire.
• Assailant fired 26 rounds and reloaded magazine from box of loose ammunition.
• Assailant was shot 17 times with 11 rounds exiting body.
• Incident lasted approximately 3.5 minutes.
• Six .40 S&W rounds, five which expanded, were recovered on autopsy.
• It is impossible for .40 S&W 180 gr. JHP ammunition to expand with only 1 in. or less penetration in a human body.
• After all .223 rounds had been fired, assailant was hit with 180 gr. Gold Dot in right arm above the elbow.
• Officers had to “fight” assailant in order to get handcuffed.

his puffy coat is enchanted with good luck
>>
>>34032764
"what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
-dead guy
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (59KB, 544x663px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
59KB, 544x663px
>>34032771
yee his tattoos are top bant's
>>
File: 1467627956003.png (3KB, 217x219px) Image search: [Google]
1467627956003.png
3KB, 217x219px
>>34032780
>>
>>34032567
yeah check the chart the other guy posted. Buckshot sizes #1 through #000 are popular for self defense. Smaller pellets get less effective on people (more pellets but poor penetration).
>>
>>34032541
A .22 is fine too.
>>
>>34032585
But what about the NOISE anon? I have a 357 for HD myself, but I am very very concerned for my eardrums after discharging in a small hallway
>>
>>34032693
>.40 couldn't even penetrate a foam headrest

How? How is it possible to make a round so bad?
>>
>>34034403
in this scenario ear pro is not a life or death decision, neutralize the threat to your life, all else is folly.
>>
>>34034403
>not sleeping with your air frame on with attached nods and peltor comtacs

It's like you don't even care about your safety anon...
>>
>>34032541
We already had the gorilla thread a few days ago anon
>>
>>34032764
At 20 yards 9mm wouldn't have done much better and .45 would have been about the same. At some point you have to just say fuck it becasue a handgun is probably not going to do great past 10 yards unless you are talking hot 10mm or a hunting revolver.
>>
>>34032571
>triple-aught
>36 inches
>>
>>34036487
Hah. I never noticed it was missing the decimal.
>>
>>34032567
Wait til you find out about 007 buck
>>
>>34032764
I feel using ball ammo with the hollow points would have helped as the down probably caught up the hollowpoint cavity and dragged a bunch of fibers with it at 20 yards but mixing ammo is probably asking for a malfunction.
>>
>>34032541
Just punch him in the gut and he'll go down screaming in pain. I'd worry if it was a fatso. They can take a lot more abuse.
>>
>>34036660
Hahahahaha

^ this nigga has not boxed a day in his life
>>
>>34032693
>>34032739
>>34032764
>>34032771
>>34036449
>>34036601
>CONCLUSION OF THE REPORT
>ROUNDS WENT THROUGH WINDSHIELD AND WERE INEFFECTIVE BECAUSE OF THAT
>>
>>34032541
Zero difference between him and a fat white dude in terms of terminal ballistics. In fact, that may be incorrect - the fat white dude may have a little more padding to act like a couple inches of ballistic gel, not that it will matter.

However, given that he happens to be NOT a fat white dude, the odds of you encountering a situation of the kind you describe is significantly higher.
>>
>>34036980
>actually reading the report
what a fag, just post .40 Short&Weak and be done with it
>>
>>34036851
Neither have you. The guy in OPs pic is a bodybuilder. They look like retarded giant toddlers when try to fight.
>>
>>34032622
With a probability approaching statistical certainty.

Look up the top truly natural bodybuilders - the ones who are genetically gifted and leverage that with obsessive diet and workout regimen. The best of them barely reach that level of muscle mass and low bodyfat in combination.

That being said, steroids might make him more aggressive, but not less killable.
>>
File: synthol_muscles-54.jpg (40KB, 600x388px) Image search: [Google]
synthol_muscles-54.jpg
40KB, 600x388px
>>34032541
Just an air rifle to pop the synthol balloons all over his body to make his muscles look symmetrical
>>
>>34032764
Take home message: cops suck at shot placement. 107 rounds, over 85% misses, at best 3 (2.8%) glancing into center mass from side. All hits nonlethal or slowly lethal only in combination with significant "fight" and unknown detention time prior to receiving medical treatment.

But hey, I'm happy with the cops' story that it took 107 rounds from highly trained professionals plus a fight with those professionals afterward to subdue the suspect - all the more argument in favor of 30 round mags for AR-15's and 15+ round mags for handguns for home defense purposes. And this was only one dude. Just think if he had two buddies with him - that could have taken 321 shots just to get them to the point that a single person might even have the option of attempting to wrestle three fighting criminals into submission!
>>
>>34034403
This is why I load my .357 S&W with four rounds, and store earplugs in the other two chambers.

Then it's just plug, plug, snug 'em in, adjust a little, yawn, pop the ears, check the fit, and then slap that cylinder shut and open fire.
>>
>>34037164
It's hard to make shots at 20 yards while getting shot at, very thought provoking.
>>
>>34034494
Not to start a war here, but this is why I always use ball ammo. I prefer penetration. I've seen "overpenetration" when hunting - little hole in and big hole out. Hard to imagine that's not as good as "hollow point shot its wad trying to expand on windshield/clothing/nonvitals before it reached anything of importance."
>>
>>34037075
Good point.

The synthol bullshit, pec implants, calf implants...it's all worthy of utter mockery.

I admit the double standard. Fake tits, while unnecessary, can be nice if well done.
>>
>>34034494
What is glass made of?

That's right, minerals heated to plastic state and cooled sold. Automotive glass even has layers of polymer to hold it together.

What are ceramic plates made of?

That's right, minerals heated to a plastic state and cooled solid.

So what happens if you have a hard material and a bullet out of a handgun hits it? Think very, very hard.
>>
>>34032541
Muscles are not bullet proof.
>>
>>34032541
ONLY QUADS CAN KILL GIGA NIGGA
>>
>>34037196
Hey, I agree - that's why I suggested it's a great argument to use against those idiots who want to limit magazines to 10 rounds with the whole "nobody needs more than that" position. Point them toward every instance where cops used some ridiculous number of rounds to take out a bad guy, and then say "and they're trained pros! The average person in a self defense scenario needs even more!"

I get the whole "military needs bazookas, average Joe doesn't" argument, though I still think average Joe should still be able to get bazookas if the importation and possession of them is reasonably regulated instead of outright banned. But I've always believed that cops and citizens should be tied at the hip on firearm regulation - if I can't possess something legally because you say there is no valid reason for me to do so, then there is no valid reason that police should be able to either.

When it comes to potential tyranny in the event of a sudden "happening," you have more to fear from local forces than Federal ones. Why do you suppose the Feds just love their "partnerships" with local LEO's in the name of drug enforcement, and LEO's pee themselves to have a chance to put "member of FBI multi-agency task force" on their resume?

Regardless, any weapons purchase my local Sheriff can justify by using the words "emergency management" and "Homeland Security" and "riot protection" and "officer safety," don't tell me I don't need it for similar reasons.
>>
>>34037284
Your highly logical analogy leads to the inescapable conclusion that I can use dollar store mirrors in my plate carrier and save a bundle of cash. Thanks for the tip, /k/omrade!

Also, I have plenty of ceramic coffee mugs, and if I can patent a way of zip-tying their handles to MOLLE gear, I could make a mint at gun shows!
>>
>>34037471
It doesn't stop them but it causes them to slow down and lose energy, if you weren't retarded and trying to cover your ass you would see this.
>>
>>34032541
If it doesn't you have 4 more
>>
>>34037284
Rear windows aren't made out of safety glass

The fact that i only hear of these premature expansions in 40 implies it's an issue with the round
>>
>>34037499
Trying to cover my ass? I'm not the "how is a round this bad" poster you were responding to. I was just funnin' a little about the plates. Of course, it's a very different thing, ceramic plates and windshield glass, just as is windshield glass and dollar store mirror glass.

Your point might be better made in saying that ANYTHING that causes them to slow down and lose energy is going to impact penetration, not going into the chemistry of glass and ceramics and implying that automotive glass is similar at all to ceramic plates because it's all "melted minerals." Yeah, sheet metal car doors and steel plates are far MORE identical than windshield glass and ceramic, just a matter of thickness, but that's kind of the point. One is an effective armor, one is not, and it's probably true that one should expect a round to penetrate glass and sheet metal with plenty of leftover energy; if it doesn't, it can be ineffective in real world situations and it's fair to ask whether the physical geometry (JHP, spitzer, LRN, etc.), velocity, or mass is most at fault.
>>
>>34032555
xd
>>
>>34032588
kek
>>
>>34037364
Thank you
>>
>>34037067
I'd like to see you fight jujimufu. Muh exceptions whatever lad.

Your statement is even more stupid than the guy I replied to, implying a fatso could take a punch better than a bodybuilder as you mentioned which has a thick set of abdominal muscles he most certainly knows how to contract.

Who cares how terrible eithers form is at fighting that is not what is in question faggot get it together and concentrate.

A bodybuilder flexing thick ab muscles will take a punch much better than a random billyjoebob with a beer and mcdonalds burger gut. The soft gut would probably only act as padding for knuckles.

That your punching form is not good or strong enough to get through the fat and you assume because you make solid contact on a bodybuilder immediately he will take more damage is another matter entirely. One that hints you'd probably hurt your wrist punching giganiggas hip hop test. Edition abs.
>>
>>34037565
>i only hear of these premature expansions in 40
Oh, we are just going to start shitposting whatever now? Somehow .40 is immune to any ballistic logic because it is short and weak, truly memes are the true power behind everything.

>>34037622
Sheet metal is not anywhere similar to glass in terms of how something moving at high speed reacts when it hits.
>>
>>34037499
Hey guys, check out Captain Obvious here. He says when a bullet hits something, it slows down and loses energy. Got a lot of fancy-schmancy stuff about minerals and third grade physical science shit that seems to back him up, too. Can we vote him in as the new /k/ ballistics editor? I just wanna know if wood counts too 'cause it ain't got no minerals, far as I know, but none of my .40 rounds are going through the oak tree in my backyard neither. We might have us a class action lawsuit on our hands and he could be our expert witness.
>>
>>34037753
>damage controlling this hard
The force it takes to break glass an ceramics isn't insignificant and different than wood or steel.
>>
>>34034403
If you don't wing him on the side of the head, there should be two good eardrums laying on the floor for the taking. Make sure to clean the wax off them first.
>>
>>34037731
Are you actually able to read? Where did anyone say anything about sheet metal being similar to glass? What he said was that sheet metal is made of very similar material to steel plates, to counter the previous poster's contention that .40 can't be faulted for not going through windshield glass because windshield glass is so similar (hint: it isn't, really) to ceramic plate armor. The point being that energy expended on the glass has more to do with the glass being a hard object than its physical or chemical composition being remarkably similar to ceramic plate, and maybe it isn't a great excuse for why a .40 JHP performs poorly against it - perhaps the fault lies in the fact that it's JHP instead of ball, or its terminal ballistics, or the angle of the windshield causing partial deflection. I wouldn't know; .40 seems fine to me but I don't shoot JHP and don't shoot at glass or hard objects situated at an angle.
>>
>>34032541
If Ronnie Coleman broke into my house I'd ask for an autograph and wonder how he got lost.
>>
Daisy Red Ryder defeating ceramic armor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9NmZPwAWDg
>>
>>34037904
>slow it down and cause erratic penetration at distance
>this is the same as ceramic armor
Keep posting, this is actually kind of funny.
>>
Koreans Develop Tactical Red Ryder That Outperforms .40 S&W Against Minerals Heated to Plastic State and Cooled Solid; U.S. Fears "Ceramic Armor" Ineffective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sleKLK6HExk
>>
"Minerals Heated To Plastic State and Cooled Solid" Bulletproof Windshield Formula Finally Stops Red Ryder Terror..."It's the Polymer," States 4Chan Ballistics Expert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WovKqtQ58y4
>>
>>34037070
if you've ever lifted in your life you would know that this negros body is literally impossible to achieve without sterons hgh and insulin
>>
>>34038067
Yeah, which is exactly what I said. Reading comprehension isn't your forte, is it, champ?
>>
Defeating glass really depends on the hardness of the projectile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhlmKHbPFhU
>>
>>34037189
Lol, chuckled. I got a mental image of you pointing the gun in your ears to load the earplugs, then firing the other four shots @ the intruder
>>
>>34037853
Yuck, but point taken...
>>
>>34034403
If you are worrying about your hearing then you have already won.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.