[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking to get my first handgun but I'm not sure what to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: download.jpg (7KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 284x177px
Looking to get my first handgun but I'm not sure what to get, I like the colt m1911 but they can get a little pricey, i also would need a mini safe to keep it in. Could anybody help?
>>
>>34027105
Get a Glock 19.
>>
>>34027296
Why that one specifically?
>>
File: IMG_1551.png (535KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1551.png
535KB, 640x1136px
Check the catalog before posting a stupid thread asking us to do your research for you
>>
File: IMG_0338.jpg (283KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0338.jpg
283KB, 1440x1080px
>>34027392
9mm is cheap and easy to shoot, and the 19 is a good in-between size that's small enough for most people to CCW but big enough to get a full grip on and attach a normal weaponlight if you want.
Furthermore, Glocks are easy to do armorer work on and hold their value well, so you can tweak it to suit your preferences as they develop or sell it at a small loss if you decide after a few thousand rounds that there's nothing to be done about it.
It's a great little gun that does everything well.
>>
>>34027296
Don't listen to the glock faggot. Buy what you think looks cool and you can afford. This whole board is nothing but mall ninja tacticool faggots that will try to convince you to buy shit that makes them not regret their own purchases
>>
get a ruger 1911 for 600 dollars if you want a 1911
>>
>>34027604
Fucking this.
Buy what you want/looks aesthetic/feels nice.
Main thing is to check up to make sure you don't buy a known lemon.

Glockfags act like a cult for some reason. Not sure why. Even my own family.
My dad, a lifelong Hi-Power shooter, got a glock a year ago. Sold 2 of his other handguns and bought a sackfull of tacticool bullshit for his glock. This is a 70 year old veteran for fucks sake. What is it about glocks that do this to people? I've shot it. It's blocky and I hate the sights. No weight to it so it snaps when fired. I do not get the appeal.
>>
>>34028354
Ive never liked them either, I like to hold heavy guns. Thats why I like the m1911 and large caliber revolvers, I'm just fairly limited on budget.
>>
>>34027105
1911, cz75, etc double/single action pistols are impossible to fuck up and are the safe enough to hand to a total retard whos never seen a gun

Glock 19/ DAO striker pistol is still a good choice if you are 100% confident in your ability to handle a pistol safely.

New pistols come in cases with a place to padlock it, start there and buy a real safe when you inevitably buy more guns
>>
>>34028710
Ive done a lot of shooting but never done gun maintenance myself so I appreciate the advice, and yeah I really just want to keep it out of my retarded roommates hands.
>>
>>34028779
Hoppes brand cleaning supplies will have kits and oils and shit for the caliber you choose. Also buy a bore snake, it will save you a shit ton of time cleaning your barrel
>>
>>34028905
Do they have a kit that comes with just all the essentials? That way I don't have to buy it all seperately
>>
>>34028905
cleaning your barrel is a meme except for precision rifles
>>
>>34029065
Any new in box pistol from a major company is going to come with all the basics and 2-3 mags. Cleaning brush, speedloader, etc. I think glocks actually come with a lock for the case.

Trigger locks also exist if you cant keep the box hidden

Lower end pistols from cheap companies generally give you 1 mag and a pamflet
>>
>>34029065
Yes. Its called the hoppes gun cleaning kit. Comes with cleaning rod, patches, brushes, some solvent, oil and cleaning mat. The aluminum cleaning rod it comes with kinda sucks though. I 2nd the boresnake. Much easier amd quicker than using a cleaning rod/patches.
If your worried about maintenance a 1911 is the way to go. Super easy to maintain.
1911s are simple to strip, clean and reassemble. If your not wanting to spend over $600 bucks on a 1911 I would recommend the Ruger SR1911 or an Auto Ordnance BKO if your a super poor fag (can be found under $500).
>>
>>34029065
Yeah it will have a rod and threaded attachment so you can run a cloth through the barrel. And it's not a meme to clean your barrel, the fouling will affect you accuracy. Make sure you only use the solvent in the barrel and don't let it sit in there too long. That shits corrosive and will eat away at your finish. The guide rails I would use oil and an old toothbrush to scrub it out, then just wipe it clean
>>
>>34029226
>>34029207
How much does the kit run for? And where's the best place to buy an m1911?
>>34029182
I'll probably go higher end then for the locks, just want to make sure my shit is safe.
>>
>>34027105
You have a lot to think about.

>polymer or metal frame
>semi auto or revolver
>caliber
>size
>what will you use it for (sport, fun, hunting, self defense, concealed carry)
>price

You should do research on these things and your question will answer itself.

I am not exactly a handgun expert but I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.
>>
>>34027105
What do you want it for? If you want protection, get a Smith & Wesson 586 or a Colt Series 70 (not series 80). If you want a gun for the range, get a 22 for the cheap ammo.

Do not get a striker fired pistol. The triggers are so bad that you will get frustrated at the range very quickly.
>>
>>34029558
The first two pistols I ever shot were a Ruger GP100 and a Glock 19. I was making usable groupings with the Ruger within minutes. The Glock left me with tinnitus and a bleeding hand, and nothing resembling accuracy. Fuck Glocks.
>>
>>34029525
>>polymer or metal frame
Metal, dont like the feel of plastic
>>semi auto or revolver
Really unsure, if semi it will probably be an m1911, that was the first gun I ever fired. But I do love revolvers so Im really not sure.
>>caliber
I dont need it to hit someone at my neighbours house behind ths fridge, but I dont want something really small either
>>size
Preferably full size, I have large hands
>>what will you use it for (sport, fun, hunting, self defense, concealed carry)
Mostly self defense, maybe the range
>>price
Nothing over $1,000
>>
>>34029583
So far I've heard nothing good about glocks except from the fanatics
>>
File: 164300_01_lg_0.jpg (17KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
164300_01_lg_0.jpg
17KB, 500x500px
>>34029621
S&W 686P 3"
>>
>>34029473
Like 10 bucks or so. Any gun store will have a variety of 1911s since they're still so popular. Just don't buy from Springfield they're gun gun grabbing treasonous faggots
>>
>>34029621

Ruger gp100
>>
>>34029631
That's because writing everybody who says anything good about Glocks off as a fanatic is a /k/ meme.
>>
>>34029672
Ah okay. Well I'm pretty new to the board, sorry
>>
>>34029621
Look into 1911's, Sig Sauer's, and CZ's for semi autos. Do some research on .45acp options from those companies. In my experience 9mm seems to penetrate a lot farther than .45acp.

For revolvers, S&W and Ruger are some good companies to look at. I would look at .357 or .38 special options. Revolvers are notorious for heavy recoil, and .357/38 special is a good "beginner" revolver round. Keep in mind that most .357 revolvers will also fire .38 special cartridges. .38 costs slightly less to shoot and has less recoil. This does not work the other way around...do not shoot a .357 cartridge through a revolver designed only for .38 special. One Ruger model, the "Blackhawk" also comes with a conversion cylinder that allows you to shoot 9mm out of it. Just sayin'. Pretty cool.
>>
>>34029633
I'm not a big fan of the short barrel
>>34029652
I'm not sure if there is a local gun store around here, I'll have to look
>>34029655
I actually really like how that one works
>>
File: 164194_01_lg.jpg (15KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
164194_01_lg.jpg
15KB, 500x500px
>>34029722
You will be if you ever decide to carry it.
That said, they also make 4" and 6" versions.
>>
>>34029701
That ruger does sound pretty cool, I must agree. And that's all some very useful info, thank you anon. My knowledge really extends to just being able to shoot a gun. Are revolvers easier for cleaning?
>>
>>34029759
I don't know if I would be carrying, I would rather not be shot by some trigger happy cops.
>>
>>34029837
>I would rather not be shot by some trigger happy cops
Are you a brown person?
>>
>>34029985
No, just live in an area with a lot of cops like that. But the city I live in is primarily spic so there's that.
>>
>>34030005
You'll be fine.
The cops, like everyone else, won't know you're carrying a gun.
>>
>>34030037
I normally just where shorts and a shirt though.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170520-134408.png (515KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170520-134408.png
515KB, 720x1280px
get this joint my man,niggaz dont be trippin no mo since i got this biscuit
>>
>>34030459
You'd be surprised how oblivious people are to that sort of thing.
>>
Australian here. I'm also looking into purchasing my first 'real' handgun. Tossing up between a Beretta 92 or CZ 75.

Retarded laws regarding barrel length means all the guns I really want are a no-go, or prohibitively expensive for a some fancy pants special edition with an extended barrel.
>>
>>34030708
I'm Amerifat, so not a lot of issues like that
>>
>>34027105
The money definitely makes a difference. Get a custom or semi-custom. Les Baer would be solid.

Don't worry on a safe, it'll be a carry or bedside gun. Just get good cleaning materials, and learn the guts of your gun. Initially you may want to sand the metal touchie pieces, then later keep it clean and lubricated.
>>
>>34030708

berreta 92 is the way to go.
>>
get a 50. cal desert eagle and blow holes into any would-be attackers
>>
>>34032396

>>caliber
I dont need it to hit someone at my neighbours house behind ths fridge, but I dont want something really small either
>>
>>34032329
Money doesn't make that much of a difference honestly senpai, all it does is make you more pissed when your $1500 Operator Edition fucks up just as much as your $500 Rock Island
>>
>>34032452
Spoken as someone who hasn't bought both and shot them side-by-side.
>>
There are a shitton of things to take into account, most of its been pointed out in other posts but I'mma do my best to summarize here:

Start off with the easiest part of all of this "Why am I buying a handgun".

If you're buying it for something cheap to plink targets/kill paper, i'd probably recommend something cheap, 9mm and .22LR are generally a sound investment in that regard. I'm of the anti-glock camp, primarily because I've yet to find one I can comfortably grip in a mid-size caliber I prefer. In this light, Ruger makes plenty of solid .22 weapons (Revolver and automatic alike)

If its for Concealed Carry, I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a .38 S&W (revolver side) or a .40 S&W (automatic), .38s tend to be available in compact models whilst still offering more punch than some of those smaller calibers (i've seen several reports of people surviving shooting THEMSELVES with .380s IN THE HEAD)

I, frankly, prefer .45 ACP in a self-defense sidearm because i've always found 1911s (at least those I've owned and regularly shoot) to be reliable, and it is still used by numerous security and armed forces the world 'round over 100 years later for a reason. Rock Island makes several solid models that are still affordable. Ruger also, once again, makes some solid sidearms, particularly revolvers (I have a GP-100 which was considered for police carry as a .357 Mag.), Revolvers are of course also require minimal maintenance.

If its for hunting (as a sidearm), depends widely on WHAT you'd be hunting. Varmints (such as Squirrels, mice, raccoons etc.) shouldn't need anything more than a .22 LR tops, I keep a .22 revolver ready for the odd snake or such around the yard. Deer (on the off chance you need to mercy it) I'd recommend a .45 minimal, both calibers I've already discussed. If you're hunting anything particularly aggressive (Boar and Bear come to mind) I'd honestly recommend something that will drop it outright, .500 Mag would prob. do the trick.
>>
With regards to containing the weapon, there are plenty of options, that said, if you're willing to spring a little extra, a simple carrying case you can fit a lock to would probably work just fine. I just have a lock 'n key cabinet for mine I think I dropped 100$ USD on? It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to hold your weapons; magazines and ammo.
>>
File: 61236122636352.jpg (1MB, 2581x1929px) Image search: [Google]
61236122636352.jpg
1MB, 2581x1929px
>>34027105
>they can get a little pricey

Get a job.
>>
>>34032619
I have a job dick head.
>>
>>34032760
Than stop being poor.
>>
>>34032876
Sure I'll just stop paying for college
>>
>>34027105

There's a Rem 1911R1 sale on some gun site you can see on the, dare I say it, gun deal subreddit. 400 bucks after 100 dollar mail in rebate. I'd highly recommend it, but I'm sure suggesting anything remington will get me assblasted.

At the end of the day, do what makes you happy, and that you can afford man.
>>
>>34033042
Remington products are shit.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.