[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/nogun/ here, why do the vast majority of shotguns require manual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: aa12-p.jpg (142KB, 544x300px) Image search: [Google]
aa12-p.jpg
142KB, 544x300px
/nogun/ here, why do the vast majority of shotguns require manual input to chamber the shells after each shot and why there are so few (compared to automatic rifles) fully automatic/magazine fed shotguns?

is it because they are useless compared to rifles in a combat situation so they get less attention from gun companies r&d that want army contracts or because the recoil would make automatic fire pointless? even if that's the case, why are most shotguns designed to need the pump action after each shot?
>>
I'm not the best person to answer this, but to make a shotgun fully automatic, requires it to be quite heavy. Add to that the fact that you're going to be putting a drum on it and that thing is extremely heavy.

When you think about it, there's probably not a huge benefit in one of those vs a short barreled carbine in something like a 6.8 spc.

As for other non-semi auto configurations for shotguns it has to do with their use and price. Pumps are cheap to make, and good for poor conditions where it could get wet or have mud it in or something, like water fowl hunting.

Over/unders are like single shots in the sense of lowering the amount of moving parts and ensuring accuracy, so competitive trap shooters love them.
>>
Not a whole lot of motivation to improve the boomstick. It's not a prime war fighting weapon so military is content with having some pumps/semis for limited roles. Poorfags gravitate towards shottys - if it ain't broke don't fix it.
>>
>>33996464
Auto shotguns are a meme for anything other than suppressing fire.
Why the fuck do you need to spray that much lead? To keep the fucks from even trying to shoot back.
Other than that they have mag fed Semi automatic shotguns, pump actions and breaks being the more common, since they're used more for hunting than fighting.
That being said, no one is arguing that shotguns can't fucking hold their own in combat, just that they're more used in hunting.

But yeah, combat scenarios don't play well to a shotguns strengths, you don't really need to put a lot of R&D into it. Make a rifle that takes shot gun shells, done. Cue the Saiga.
>The saiga is literally a rifle made for 12 gauge shells.
>>
File: 1473726763607.jpg (240KB, 1920x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1473726763607.jpg
240KB, 1920x1260px
>>33996464
Considering the low capacity of even magazine fed shotguns, being able to stuff rounds in your blaster on the fly is superior. You could just as easily transition to your pistol as opposed to changing mags on a shotgun, which is arguably a better choice to be using to start with.
>>
Shotguns are for birds and doors. Rifles are laughably superior for everything else.

Ammo is fuckhuge, recoil is excessive, capacity is low, range is pitiful. Get the picture?
>>
>>33996699
shotgun is literally the worst for suppression. I'd rather have a paintball gun, almost.

The shells are too heavy. Grunt struggle to carry belts for machine guns as is, but a usable quantity of shotshells is going to break the backs of everybody for hundreds of meters
>>
>>33996464
Because when you have a semi auto shotgun, you can basically use just one type of ammo based on spring pressure...
>>
Because shotguns are shit and nobody cares about them, just get an M4 and be done with it.
>>
>>33996493
>a short barreled carbine in something like a 6.8 spc

You mean .300 ACC blackout. 6.8 SPC is dead.
>>
>>33996464
no, it's because a shotgun shell is practically a cylinder without a tip or angle to help feeding

that's why

fucking noguns...
>>
>>33996699
32 rounds of 00 buck is nothing to snicker at.

>>33998138
The AA-12 is 7.3kg when loaded with the 32 round drum. Pretty heavy, but not bad if you have big biceps.
>>
>>33998766
And Most Autistic Post Of The Day goes to...!
>>
>>33998782
Now i gotta carry extra drums? fml no thenks

the shotgun is fine, i'm arguing against the round. I don't want to hump any significant quantity of 12ga
>>
File: Saiga_12_shotgun[1].jpg (152KB, 900x599px) Image search: [Google]
Saiga_12_shotgun[1].jpg
152KB, 900x599px
Is the saiga any good? Obama banned them from import in 2014, after Russia annexed Crimea.
>>
>>33998996
Vepr is better out of box. But saigas are bretty good
>>
>>33996699
Is noone gonna acknowledge those FUCKING DIGITS
>>
>>33999702
No, because we're not 12 years old. Get over it.
>>
plastic shells deform in box mags and drums. full brass shells cost more and add weight.

shell shape leads to feed and extraction problems.

>us army should adopt the KSG as their standard shotgun. it is the perfect compromise between the 590a1, pistol grip shorties, and underslug shotgun solutions.
>>
First of all, OP, there are probably two questions there:
1) Why are there not more AUTOLOADING shotguns instead of pump (answer: there are plenty, pumps and break actions are just cheaper and so more common.)
2) Why are there not any (or more) FULL AUTO shotguns (answer: because that's basically retarded outside of fun time at the range or very specific military applications.)

Even among rifles, very few people go through the Federal crap and expense it takes to get a full auto. In fact, there are plenty of us who would only want full auto for occasional stupid range fun as they aren't practical and not terribly useful outside of suppression fire while sitting next to a crate of pre-loaded mags.

Another reason is that shotguns are used a LOT for hunting, where they're a very useful tool. With a few boxes of different ammo and a couple of interchangeable barrels, I can hunt anything from dove to deer, and still have a great self defense weapon. But when hunting, I have to limit my shots on hand with a plug in the mag tube; depending on where you live you may only be allowed three before reload.

I don't have a problem with a competent law-abiding person owning whatever badass gun tickles his or her fancy, but there would be a winning lotto ticket's worth of guns on my take-home list ahead of a full auto shotty.
>>
>>33998782
the aa12 is 5.2 empty
thats 2.1 kilos/ 4.62 lbs of drum to carry 32 rounds you could carry 4 ar mags or 3 ak mags
>>
>>33998996
Saiga 12s are a finicky thing. Some of them have shitty gas ports and feed unreliably. In all honesty, the Vepr 12 is the best way to go.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.