[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've put together a BoB alongside my camping shit, feel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: 234535434.jpg (76KB, 480x551px) Image search: [Google]
234535434.jpg
76KB, 480x551px
I've put together a BoB alongside my camping shit, feel free to tell me why I'm a fucking idiot or what I've done wrong:

>External frame molle II ruck (woodland)
>Ground sheet, 1-2 person tent
>Stainless steel camping cookpan + dish/lid + fork/knife
>Stainless steel canteen
>Firestarter+striker, matches, bic, cotton balls soaked in vaseline
>Lifestraw water filter
>Datrex emergency ration
>Woobie
>Map, compass, headlamp w/ red filter
>Kephart Knife
>Rain Poncho + pack cover + garbage bag for inside ruck
>IFAK(field dressing, shears, chest seal x2, quikclot, CAT, gloves)
>Minor med shit(booboo bandages, diarrhea pills, sewing kit)
>Sleeping bag + Klymit inflatable air mattress
>Ammunition

I've been looking over the infographics and I feel like I've missed something. It's meant to get me back to my family before I fortify before SHTF/Katrina boogaloo 2.0
>>
you forgot bottle of tequila, ounce of weed, and toilet paper

>Firestarter+striker, matches, bic, cotton balls soaked in vaseline

ok when you morons do shit like this i wonder why you're too stupid to carry a bic lighter or two
>>
>>33983750
I've wiped my ass with leaves, I don't care, and the bic lighter is right there in the line you quoted so I don't know what you're getting at. Starting a fire with flint is great but I've had that go wrong already out in the bush so I always take matches and a bic as backup.
>>
>>33983658
>Map, compass, headlamp
Go with a grid map and grid protractor if you can. Be precise.
Okay princess.

How much does your BOB weigh and have you ever hiked with that much weight on your back?
>>
>>33983658
cute. so much fucking bullshit, you think you are going camping? if the shtf you'll discard all, or loose it while running, or have it stolen from you. Only viable approach is to have a cabin in the butt fuck nowhere that bya stroke of divine luck you can get to when shit starts happening. ANd it better be well stocked with a water source nearby. ammo ammo ammo, some food
>>
>>33983658
the problem with most bug out bags is that they are way too heavy because they are full of unnecessary shit. heres how you can cut down your autismpack
>External frame molle II ruck (woodland)
the frames are somewhat crack prone under heavy use if its an old one. theyre also heavy af and stand out.
>Ground sheet, 1-2 person tent
just use a contractor bag if you want a ground sheet. use a bivy or tarp instead of a tent. lighter, more versatile, and in the case of a bivy, much less setup required
a cook pot would be more useful for water. make sure its small tho. most things youd want to fry in a pan could just be cooked over an open flame or boiled. fuck the lid and make sure that dish is some light plastic. use your cool knife for eating. bring a plastic fork
>Stainless steel canteen
boiling water in a ss canteen is aight but not as useful as a canteen cup imo because of the small opening. if you only carry one canteen of water you fucked up
>Lifestraw water filter
lifestraws very limited in how you can use them. use a sawyer so you can squirt water through it into a container or use it as a tism straw for the same price
>Datrex emergency ration
if shit has gotten so bad that you need to bug out armed, you may wanna bring more than one. thats only 3600 calories which is like 2 days at most if youre fucking around on foot
>Rain Poncho + pack cover + garbage bag for inside ruck
fuck the pack cover just take a shit load of garbage bags. depending on the type of poncho, you may be better served replacing it with garbage bags too
>>
File: do you even prep bro.jpg (24KB, 384x256px) Image search: [Google]
do you even prep bro.jpg
24KB, 384x256px
>External frame molle II ruck
do you need something that large
>Ground.....
get a hammock and a rainfly. easier to set up and lighter.
>Stainless steel...
don't need a fork, and your knife should be on your belt
>Stainless steel.....
is that your only water source?
>Firestarter.....
if these aren't water proof, fix yourself.
>Lifestraw.....
where's your purification tablets
>Datrex emergency ration
is that enough food for 3-7 days
>Woobie
the best thing you have so far
>Map.....
is your map water proofed? is it topographic? is it global? do you have extra batteries?
>Kephart Knife
this should be your edc
>Rain Poncho......
everything needs individual water proofing. wax your canvas on your bag.
>IFAK.....
this needs to be on your person, on your belt. if you get hurt are you going to be able to dig around in the pack that the bear ripped off of you while you were running innawoods.
>Minor med shit....
where's your pain killers, radiation meds, and amoxicillin? band aids are sissy stickers.
>Sleeping bag.....
heavy comfort goods, get rid of them cupcake.
>Ammunition
should be your "extra" ammunition.
>>
>>33983658
Micro fishing kit - A few hooks and some sinkers.
Micro sewing kit - Many uses.
Paracord
>>
File: operator beavis.jpg (50KB, 224x278px) Image search: [Google]
operator beavis.jpg
50KB, 224x278px
You need a sewing kit. You also need to know how to sew.

You also need TP for your bunghole and a trowel for digging shitters, unless you were planning on wiping n Arab.your ass with your left hand like a
>>
>>33983658
Dump the air mattress, replace with a half dozen contractor grade trash bags. Stuff 2 with leaves/grass, there's your mattress. They're versatile as fuck. I would say replace the poncho with bags, but the poncho is probably more durable. You need duct tape, though.
>>
>>33983658
Lose the canteen, replace with 2 half liter water bottles. The kind that you buy water in. Rotate every 6 months. Add another couple of bottles of water, so you have 2 liters of good water with your BOB.

Toss in a fistful of hard candy and a can of sardines. Add a small plastic jar of peanut butter and a couple ounces of honey. One Datrex block is marginal, at best. Those things aren't designed to sustain heavy work output.

Add a handheld flashlight, that shares battery commonality with your headlamp.
>>
>>33985372
Did you just have a stroke? You managed to mutilate a 1 sentence post.
>>
>>33987858
>Toss in a fistful of hard candy
Fucking this. Morale booster and quick sugar rush.
>>
>>33985013
>posting this many implications
>>
Drop the mattress and tent. Space blanket and tarp saves space and keeps you warm. Lose the pan, get a pot. Buy some bleach crystals if you wanna purify water en mass. One crystal can purify a gallon or two of water. Get some painkillers, like lidocaine cream.
>>
>>33987890
And a lightweight trade good.
>>
>>33983658
>no soap
Just get a bottle of Dr Bronner's you dummy

>lifestraw
Sawyer filters do more for less. Straight-up splice one into a hydration bladder line so you can just scoop water and drink it.

>steel canteen
1L Nalgene widemouth wrapped in duct tape my dude.

Also milsurp gear a shit compared to civvy stuff. Fucking REI store brand BTFOs every single military-style backpack I've ever hauled around and won't stand out provided you get one in neutral colors. And I've done thousands of miles in various packs.
>>
>>33985372
how about you wipe your arabs somewhere else, tripfag
>>
>>33988342

Why would soap be worth it's weight?
>>
>>33985239
>purification tablets
Have fun drinking water full of dirt and garbage.
>>
>>33988568
Keeping you and your mess kit clean.
>>
File: IQ6SfHg.png (74KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IQ6SfHg.png
74KB, 1200x1200px
Pic unrelated.
Ditch the lifestraw and use tablets for purification. If you must use a filter get a sawyer. Get a foam mat, they are more reliable and you can cut them down for weight. (Honestly you could ditch a mat altogether) Tents suck, use a tarp or a tarp + a hammock. Make sure the pack has a gen 4 frame, the others snap easily. You don't need a pack cover with a molle ruck, they are treated already, plus you are using a trash bag. Replace the canteen with a 1l nalgene or smartwater bottle, your choice. Actually get several of those. Replace fork/knife with spork. Add shemagh/bandanas en masse. Get a source hydration 3l bladder.
>33988644
Just turn your bottle so the mouth faces downstream. Classic boy scout trick.
>>
>>33988568
Hygiene is pretty important. Not to mention a great morale booster.

>b-but it's the end of the world
Emergencies make hygiene even more important, not less. A small bootle of liquid soap weight next to nothing and takes almost no space.
>>
>>33988895
>A small bootle of liquid soap
Campsuds.
>>
>>33988762
>Just turn your bottle so the mouth faces downstream. Classic boy scout trick.
Or you could just get a Sawyer, fill the pouch and whatever empty bottles you have and get moving.

Then you can drink from the pouch while walking and without waiting for the tablet to dissolve or worrying about swallowing dirt and chlorine.
>>
>>33989016
Contrary to popular belief, filters don't purify things 100% they leave viruses and small bacteria. Plus a sawyer can't match the weight/pure water ratio of micropur drops (Sawyer's number is very much on the high side of things, and I wouldn't dare get near the maximum gallons for any filter.)
Still a good idea to have both. They have their own strengths and weaknesses.
Filters also can break down quicker in winter.
>>
>>33983658

Lifestraws are crap, go with a Sawyer mini. It filters more water, plus it filters like twice the deal that a life straw does. They're like the same size too.
>>
>>33988762
>just turn the mouth downstream
This is making a relatively large assumption you will have moving water that is safe to reach. Which, at least where I live, is the least likely water source.
>>
>>33989427
The Mini is literally a third the size of a Lifestraw. Its about the length of a Bic lighter, but round instead of flat oval.
>>
>>33988568
Not washing your hands is a great way to get sick. And innawoods/shtf, sick=dead.
Have fun dying from dehydration after shitting your guts out for three days.

As someone who has had to be evacced from a wilderness area with a 102° fever while shitting and puking, trust me: Wash. Your. Fucking. Hands.
>>
>>33989489
If you don't have running water, it probably isn't safe to only filter. Good chance of a viral infection that can't be removed via filter. If that is the case, put a bandanna over your bottle mouth and dunk it sideways. Purification drops are cheap, last forever, and are stupid easy to use. I carried both on a 12 day trip, and if I had to do it again I wouldn't bother with the filter. It weighed quite a bit for the one I had, and we always ended up tableting our water anyways for fear of viral contamination. Plus, if you have adequate water storage, the 4 hour time isn't a big deal. You typically end up getting tomorrow's water and the cooking water you need at the end of the day when you cook, and treat it overnight. There's no real benefit for filters.
>>
>>33988762
>>33983658
Also, food. Bring lots of it. Mountain house is probably what you want if you are bringing a stove. 25 year shelf life, and every 5 years they find out it lasts 5 more
>>
The answers itt show how little this board actually goes outside.
>>
>>33985239
>get a hammock and a rainfly. easier to set up and lighter.
if you a real nigga all you need is the poncho and woobie combo
>>
>>33983658
I like having extra rope and tarps. Basically a fire can technically work if it is raining but it is nice to be under a tarp enjoying said fire during the rain. Not to mention a Tarp can be used to collect rain water. or have it as a second deflection for tent. Sun, wind, rain, etc.
>>
>>33988568
>>33988690
just carry baby wipes
>>
>>33983750
I like the way you think partner...
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.