[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the consensus on Springfield bolt actions? I hear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: images.jpg (4KB, 317x159px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 317x159px
What's the consensus on Springfield bolt actions?

I hear nothing about them on this board at all, and that seemed to be a red flag when I considered buying.

Are they just hard to find?

Are they so shit no one bothers to buy one?

Or are they just average rifles that no one really cares about?
>>
>>33980545
Yea, Springfield rifles are hard to find that have been left in their military configuration and not sporterized.
>>
>>33980545
They're just "expensive". They're a sold design and have the added bonus of being American. If you want a milsurp bolt gun they'll perform just fine.
>>
>>33980545
I personally think they're overpriced for what they are but they're fun rifles. I definitely wouldn't call them shit, they're just expensive so fewer people have them.

They're like a target competition variant of the mauser. It has a tiny pinhole rear aperture and a very thin front sight blade. My 03a3 is probably my most used bolt action milsurp.
>>
>>33980545
How do people feel about the Gibbs rifles.

I know they got some shit for being built on drill recievers in the past.

But I would just feel guilty about shooting one of some dwindling supply of actual ww2 1903s.
>>
File: 1903A3_2-7-2016_C.jpg (635KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1903A3_2-7-2016_C.jpg
635KB, 1024x768px
>>33980707
>I would just feel guilty about shooting one of some dwindling supply of actual ww2 1903s.
Why; we made like 2 million of them and they barely did anything in American hands during the war.
>>
>>33980723
Dunno.

I'd rather have both but shoot and fuck with the repro more.
>>
>>33980723
This. Springfields saw dickall combat compared to the M1917 and the later M1 Garand, and the Army couldn't wait to drop the 1903A4 like a hot potatoe so they jury rigged some scopes on Garands
>>
>>33980545

They are Mausers.

Mausers are good.

'03s are good.

They are overshadowed by Garands for 'Murrican milsurp because Garand.
>>
File: 1903 Sporter.png (2MB, 1229x670px) Image search: [Google]
1903 Sporter.png
2MB, 1229x670px
>>33980545
They are magnificent rifles, and if you want to just shoot and enjoy them, look at the "sportered" versions. NOT BUBBA'D. Sportered. There's a difference.

You'll enjoy the hell out of it. I know I do.
>>
>>33980545
>Or are they just average rifles that no one really cares about?

they are great rifles. fun to shoot as long as you're okay with strong recoil.

and there are interesting variations if you're a collector.

the only problem is that they are expensive because they are american.
>>
>>33980775
>Springfields saw dickall combat compared to the M1917
The M1903 did see plenty of combat in WW1; just because the M1917 outnumbered it 3:1 in issue doesn't mean that the M1903s extant at the time didn't get used. Springfield and Rock Island were not large-scale manufacturing enterprises and Remington & Winchester made 2X more M1917s in 18 months of war than the US Government did in 14 years of peace.

We are speaking of the M1903A3 though, which was primarily used to arm US allies during the war.
>>
>>33980847
>during the war.
*during the Second World War.
>>
>>33980545
Its an american Mauser that's why you don't hear about them. The M1917 overall was also just a better rifle. It's a shame we went back to the M1903 after the war and didn't continue the M1917 line,
>>
>>33981050
>It's a shame we went back to the M1903 after the war and didn't continue the M1917 line,
It's a shame we bothered manufacturing any more bolt-action rifles after 1918.
>>
How did they clear houses back in WWI/II when the majority were armed with bolt guns. Seems like a massive pain unless they just didnt or cleared every room with grenades
>>
>>33981199
They used tanks and artillery. Nobody cared about keeping the houses intact.
>>
>>33981199

In WW1 you didn't. The houses were probably destroyed by arty before you got there.
>>
>>33981199
>cleared every room with grenades
Hand grenades, rifles grenades, shooting rifles from the hip, pistols and revolvers, shotguns, bayonets, knives, clubs, and flamethrowers.
>>
>>33981199
Bayonettes, revolvers, semi-auto pistols, grenades, and trench spades.
>>
>>33980545
Comparatively expensive for similar milsurp bolt actions but very accurate
>>
>>33981158
>It's a shame we bothered manufacturing any more bolt-action rifles after 1918.
And replace everything with the BAR? Great in 1918 and shit past it?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.