[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just inherited a browning auto-5 12 guage Any tips or something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: S4731a__20044.jpg (36KB, 1280x363px) Image search: [Google]
S4731a__20044.jpg
36KB, 1280x363px
Just inherited a browning auto-5 12 guage
Any tips or something I should know before shooting it?
I'm mainly used to break action when it comes to shotguns
>>
>>33979032
Replace all the springs. All of brownings guns are notoriously hard on the springs, and replacing them will make things a lot easier.
>>
>>33979308
This, also clean this shit out of it and make sure everything internally is properly oiled if you intend to actually fire it. Friend of mine had an old Browning that was prone to slam-firing because he never cleaned the internals. Almost shot my dad in the ass when were shooting clays one time because of it. I lol'd.
>>
>>33979032
>inherited
look up the serial number on it. it might actually be worth something. i got my sweet 16 appraised 5 years ago and was told it was definitely worth at least $1200.

it'd be a shame if the gun was worth a considerable amount and you let it rust to shit because you decided shooting in the rain was a good idea. i have retarded friends.
>>
File: friction ring label.png (115KB, 927x184px) Image search: [Google]
friction ring label.png
115KB, 927x184px
>>33979032
Learn to set up your friction rings properly for the type of ammo you plan on shooting that day.

Don't think for a second that you can shoot buckshot or heavy turkey loads with your rings set up for 7 1/2 shot, and NOT split your stock. You would be amazed how many people do not know this most basic thing about an Auto-5. It's so bad, you're more likely to find an Auto-5 with a cracked in the stock than not.

Print this, cut it out, and paste it in the forearm of your inheritance. You and future generations who own that gun will be thankful.
>>
File: cq5dam.web.835.835.jpg (15KB, 300x185px) Image search: [Google]
cq5dam.web.835.835.jpg
15KB, 300x185px
>>33980158
Also:
Because it seems that NO MOTHERFUCKER ON EARTH understands why setting up your rings properly is important, I will explain:

Can you see in the pic how the two forward rings (the bronze ring, depicted as white, with a thinner steel band around it) are split? And can you see how the rear ring has a tapered inside?

Basically, what's happening when you fire is that the bronze ring is forced into that taper, which squeezes the ring (hence the split) onto the magazine tube, acting like a brake. This resistance, in addition to the resistance of the recoil spring, absorbs enough of the recoil energy from the higher-power loads to prevent that energy from being able to use the rear of your receiver as a splitting wedge.

As you can see, when you set it up for light loads, all you're doing is taking the tapered ring out of the equation, so that only the recoil spring is used, leaving more energy from the lighter loads to be used for cycling.

It's not hard, it's not complicated, and it's a requirement to know if you're going to be a non-dumbass Auto-5 owner.
>>
>>33979032
>tfw my mother sold the one I should have inherited for $100
>>
File: our lord jmb.jpg (18KB, 319x460px) Image search: [Google]
our lord jmb.jpg
18KB, 319x460px
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/browning-auto-5-part-kits

Replace the springs and if you take it apart either use thin specialty screwdrivers so you don't fuck the thin headed screws.
Pretty much follow what Zed said. The Forearm will crack if you are a fucktard. I bought mine with a hairline crack in it and repaired it with sanding it down on the inside and putting in some fiberglass sheeting and acraglas then resealing. You could be proactive if it isn't cracked and seal it before hand.

Test What rounds are best. If it's a Magnum model it won't cycle super light modern rounds like the Remington Gun club even on it's lightest ring setting. Mine like's Heavy Dove loads and is a sweet shooter.
>>
>>33979032
Probably won't work. Admire it, maybe test fire it, then go buy something else.

I inherited 2 A-5s, one in 20Ga and one in 12, both of which short stroke every time. I did some work on the 20, and now it's even worse: rather than just failing to cycle, it now cycles just enough to load a fresh shell, but not enough to cock the hammer, so now when you cycle it manually, you eject a live shell.

I'm sure you could make them work, but it probably isn't worth it desu.
>>
>>33981600
Why didn't you just take them to a gunsmith? They are great guns.
>>
>>33981600
You clearly have no idea how short-recoil operation works, because the symptoms you describe are literally the easiest to remedy on the planet earth.
> I did some work on the 20...
I think you should qualify this
>>
These guns are long recoil so it's a good idea to hold the butt barely touching your shoulder like a 1/4 inch gap works great for me
>>
File: don laugh.jpg (15KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
don laugh.jpg
15KB, 413x395px
>>33985766
>>
I've heard A5's kick the shit out of you. Is this true, because if it is, I want one.
>>
>>33985834
if you have the rings set up right it should have less felt recoil than other shotguns.
>>
>>33981600
You're dumb as fuck, auto5's run great if they are tuned for the right shell. Also, op dont ever try to take it all the way apart these fuckers are complicated and you will end up taking it to a gun smith
>>
>>33985834
When set up correctly it is pretty soft shooter. The recoil is fairly long "spring sproing" because of the strong ass recoil spring and relatively slow cycling of the action. I think it kicks forward as much as it kicks back. You certainly need to keep hold of it.
>>
>>33986490
To add to this, DO NOT try to jam your bubba screwdrivers in there. You will booger the heads something fierce.

If you insist on taking one apart they make specialty screwdrivers for the auto 5 as the cuts are incredibly small and fine. They're cheap so don't just wing it.

Also, chop it in half.
>>
>>33985834
Have you ever shot a Benelli? They're almost like a blowback gun.
>>
File: Roofing.jpg (37KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
Roofing.jpg
37KB, 500x501px
>>33985834
I've heard some men say that the Auto-5 kicks hard.

I've also heard some men say that they like sucking dick.

I'm not sure what percentage of the Venn Diagram of these to populations overlap, but I can say that if you think the Auto-5 is hard-recoiling, you are probably a little bitchnigger.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.