[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would England have fared in the Hundred Years' War if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: waifu.jpg (328KB, 1600x1158px) Image search: [Google]
waifu.jpg
328KB, 1600x1158px
How would England have fared in the Hundred Years' War if at the start of the conflict their longbows were suddenly replaced with compound bows from the 2010s?
>>
>>33973463
What's the poundage of those bows? Assuming that you had the same or greater poundage, the English would be able to turn essentially any man into a very skilled archer with minimal investment of time.
>>
>>33973463
good
>>
>>33973463

Poorly.

> Bows cause the arrows to shatter into their archers wrists
> No archers
>>
>>33973496
Let's just say 60lbs as I'm sure if the bows were scaled up to what they were used to the arrows would explode
>>
>>33973591
A warbow would be twice that drawweight, so these are absolutely useless.
>>
>>33973646
wat

Longbows had huge draw weights because they were mechanically inefficient. You ever heard of an English longbow launching an arrow at 300+ fps like a compound bow can do?
>>
>>33973675
You ever hear of an English longbow launching light as fuck composite arrows? No, their arrows were big and beefy because of the forces involved.

And the problem here is that you're using two entirely different scales.
>>
>>33973463
I don't give a shot what England does in real life. So I sure as shit don't care about hypothetical scenarios. Prince William and Harry blow each other.

England and their royalty. I'm the King of an anthill in my backyard.
>>
>>33973591
You should read about hunting bows some time. You can buy a 90# bow. Arrows are spined for that weight
>>
>>33973463
They would've been worse off. Modern compound bows are not designed to deliver at hundreds of yards.

Utilizing them properly would not be possible.
>>
>>33973591
Let's say they give away 40 lb bows so that female soldiers (a meme, I know) can utilize them
>>
I'm going to assume the English would also have matching composite arrows and have the ability to change the heads on them to bodkin points.

The archers would quickly be able to transition to an artillery force capable of putting arrows through the eyeslits of men-at-arms with regularity. French cavalry would also be seriously neutered from the increased accuracy. The Englishman would launch devastating attacks in the rain when they discover that moisture doesn't affect their polymer bowstrings. Frogs would be weeping tears of blood and English would be spoken in every corner of France today.
>>
Logistics would fuck them. A tool that works just fine and that they can actually make more of or something more complex and useful but you has one less after each break?
>>
they would lose, considering a Hundred Years War archer used to dish out 10 arrows a minute with precision and with bow poundage with anything from 120 lbs to 200 lbs

it was the perfect counter for the french conroi, the arrows would even pierce lower quality steel with the power they delivered, a conroi was just a big fucking moving target, any arrow inside the zone was a kill

what i have said is all "historian accepted" for whatever it's worth (not much)
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.