[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

since knife blades are typically steel would it be possible to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

since knife blades are typically steel
would it be possible to build a strong magnetic staff or baton that could safely disarm a knife wielding opponent?
>>
>>33960085
In theory a strong enough electro-magnet should do the job, the problem is that it will not be man portable due to the power requirements.
>>
>>33960118
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpApYnGOrEk
the magnet in the video has a 200kg pull force and weighs 1.5 kg
>>
If you could come up with a portable MRI machine that poops out about 0.5 to 3 Tesla's, then you can really bend the shit out of reality for anyone its pointed at (vertigo, hallucinations, dizziness)
Oh, they also won't have a knife, or fillings, or earings etc
>>
>>33960085
Then it will just boil down to who has a better grip. What if the knife wielder furiously masterbates twenty times a day and has the thumb strength of hulk? What if he's also a neckbearded fatass, the combination of these attributes mean you get pulled to him if you manage to hold onto the magnetic baton. Which, you are now in range for the smell of such man to incapacitate you.
>>
>>33960085
YOU'RE FROM BRITANIA, AREN'T YOU?
>>
File: IMG_0126.jpg (51KB, 600x759px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0126.jpg
51KB, 600x759px
>punk with knife
>need to eliminate threat of bodily harm by knife
>deploy magnet
>knife is now flying towards you point-first at 200fps
>>
>>33960205
1.5kg at the end of a baton is a lot of weight... but 200kg is probably more force than necessary.
>>33960118
It doesn't need to run for very long, does it.
>>33960276
Give it a nice secure grip. Also, the baton will get drawn towards the knive and probably hit it in the process, so the impact will weaken his grip.
>>
>>33960409
Doing it at range means that the magnet has to be way stronger (plus there's tons of other shit it will attract). NOT a good idea.
>>
>>33960085
Lead will disarm a knife wielding opponent.
>>
File: hmmm.jpg (29KB, 640x519px) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.jpg
29KB, 640x519px
Thread hijack inbound...

Anyone use magnets to conceal firearms around their residence? What kind of magnets are you using and how are you mounting them?
>>
>>33960085
Give me yourrr wallet ya Cunt!

>deploy magnet

*Sounds of tearing*
>>
>>33960085
any baton will already do that, you just hit them in the knife hand/wrist/arm
>>
>>33960085
If anti-steels were commonplace, wrongdoers would get ceramic knives.
>>
>>33960518
I knew a chick who had (way too many) piercings in the face, she went to work at one of those scrap dealers with the big magnetic crane.
No worries as Stainless Steel is non-magnetic thanks to the alloy composition.
>>
So... you want a device that will send a knife flying toward your body at high speed and at an unpredictable angle?

What could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>33960859
Do you not understand how magnets work?
The knife would be drawn to the baton.
>>
File: 1489028195854.jpg (463KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1489028195854.jpg
463KB, 600x450px
>>33960085
>hurr durr stainless steel is magnetic
>>
>>33960913
It is if you have a strong enough electromagnet. Most stainless alloys are more like "reduced magnetism" than completely nonmagnetic.
>>
>>33960085

It's easier and more fun for police to just murder people.
>>
File: file.png (79KB, 599x374px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
79KB, 599x374px
>>33960205
>200kg pull force
inverse cube law means this kind of thing pretty much sucks unless your right next to it.
pic related.
>>
Just shoot the guy with the knife.
>>
File: NorkCommanders.jpg (34KB, 403x342px) Image search: [Google]
NorkCommanders.jpg
34KB, 403x342px
>>33960085
We could fly a huge magnet over the Norks and take out their entire military command.
>>
>>33961853
>meeting deadly force with deadly force is murder
>>
>>33960409
Beat me to it
>>
>>33960495
i lost all my magnets in a tragic boating accident
>>
>>33961980
well it's a baton, you beat the guy with it and disarm him in the process. If you're lucky the knife will latch on point-forward so your baton becomes a tomahawk
>>
File: Condescending Wonka.jpg (106KB, 1600x899px) Image search: [Google]
Condescending Wonka.jpg
106KB, 1600x899px
>>33960913
Some stainless steels commonly found in knives are in fact magnetic you dumbfuck manchild.
>>
>>33960890
as long as the force is enough to stop the knife. lets say he throws it. he dosent have to throw hard, it aims right at you, and if it was heavy enough, itll pass the magnet anyways
>>
>>33960913
>less magnetic
besides I spend all day sifting though scrap metal
by now I can tell be mass and texture also by smell what a metal is
>>
>>33967377
are you a trash goblin?
>>
>>33967420
I believe the PC term is "junk homunculus."
>>
File: pig pen.png (747KB, 1176x1097px) Image search: [Google]
pig pen.png
747KB, 1176x1097px
>>33967420
like pig pen but with swarf and metallic dust
in turning and fitting + salvage / tear down
>>
>>33960085
In the short answer: no.
More detailed answer: A magnet is unfeasible because you'd need a dense fuck-off magnet that would weigh more than you would care to have on your person. Such a magnet could also upset any electronics in your pocket because said dense magnet would have to be considerably powerful either naturally or through electrical means. You're better off learning martial arts, getting a gun, or knowing dirty fighting tricks to deal with a knife fag instead of a brick of metal to lug around or lots of wires.
>>
The problem is a magnet that strong would be more dangerous to the person holding it

also very strong magnets are super brittle and could not withstand impact

look at how difficult to move and the safety precautions needed to handle this thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvyWGq3fn7k
>>
>>33967453
Magnets in general can't stand impact because regularly sustained impact interferes with the magnetic charge that pulls metal.
>>
>>33967534

They aren't that weak. I work with rare earth magnets most days and you can throw them accross the room and stick them to doors without breaking. Mostly.

Also, a baton with a few 50x20x10mm magnets would stick well without being too heavy.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.