[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /k/, I know you fanboys love to argue. I seek civil

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 19

File: 1911.jpg (60KB, 600x372px) Image search: [Google]
1911.jpg
60KB, 600x372px
Alright /k/, I know you fanboys love to argue.

I seek civil discourse, not autistic rage and shit flinging, but with that being said I do know where I am.

The question is, why would you buy a modern production 1911 over a more modern design? Glock, M&P, VP9, CZ-75, Browning Hi-Power. Basically anything double-stack. For this hypothetical, the 1911 in question must cost $1,000 or less.

Hard mode:

Leave personal preference and anecdotal evidence aside. Such examples:

>It fits better in my hand
>It looks nicer
>It's more accurate

Does the 1911 have any concrete advantages? I understand that some people just like them better, and that doesn't affect me in any way. i'm just wondering if there's any other reason why every giant gun company is still pumping them out en mass.
>>
>muh glawk
FUCK off the 1911 is literally the pinaccle of hand gun achievement
>>
.460 Rowland and .45 Super conversions work better with 1911s.
Better triggers than any other gun under $1000.
Ten round mag cap states make a 1911 in 10mm or some fuckoff powerful wildcat .45 round a reasonable option, just like they do eight shot revolvers.
>>
>>33954974
Okay, tell me why.

>>33954985
I think triggers have to compete in their own category. It seems unfair to compare a D/S hammer trigger or SA striker trigger to a SAO hammer trigger,
>>
File: nutn.png (501KB, 469x900px) Image search: [Google]
nutn.png
501KB, 469x900px
>>33954950
>Leave personal preference and anecdotal evidence aside
>>
>The question is, why would you buy a modern production 1911 over a more modern design? Glock, M&P, VP9, CZ-75, Browning Hi-Power. Basically anything double-stack. For this hypothetical, the 1911 in question must cost $1,000 or less.

If you live in New Jersey/only shoot FMJs, .45 ACP IS more effective than 9mm. Considering that your average person spends 99% of the time practicing with FMJs and not expensive self-defense ammo AND that it's best to carry with the ammo that you are most accustomed to training with (see: the Newhall massacre), a 1911 is not a bad choice in light of this.

Also, magazine size limits. The point of a G19 or any other doublestack 9 out there is its capacity. When you are limited to 7 shots or 10 shots, something like a good magnum revolver or a 1911 become much more attractive options.

>inb4 why not the USP then?

The USP is too large for most people to easily conceal, and it has an absolutely terrible factory trigger.
>>
>>33955003
Stop moving the goalposts. A nice SAO trigger is a major selling point of the 1911.
>>
>>33955027
Valid point. Still, I don't think the majority of gun buyers live in states that cap mags at 10 rounds. If you're talking about concealed carry, I'd argue that a 1911 is larger and heavier than an ideal carry piece. Not saying it's impossible, but it wouldn't be my choice.

>>33955034
Sure, but there are advantages and disadvantages to every style of trigger. If you're only talking about pull weight/feel, I'd agree that it's better, but a more direct comparison would be to weigh it against other SAO triggers.
>>
>>33955089
>Still, I don't think the majority of gun buyers live in states that cap mags at 10 rounds.

California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York all have 10 round limits. The most important US cities are all in one of these states. Furthermore, upstate NY actually has limits of 7 rounds in some locales.

>If you're talking about concealed carry, I'd argue that a 1911 is larger and heavier than an ideal carry piece. Not saying it's impossible, but it wouldn't be my choice.

I wouldn't choose to carry a 1911 either, but they're actually better than you might think. Even the full size 5'' barrel ones conceal decently because of how slim they are, and the scaled down ones like the Officer's Model are actually far easier to conceal than something like a G19.

>Sure, but there are advantages and disadvantages to every style of trigger. If you're only talking about pull weight/feel, I'd agree that it's better, but a more direct comparison would be to weigh it against other SAO triggers.

Were you not aware that 1911s have the best SAO triggers as well? No other model of standard production semi-autos out there compares to them in that respect.
>>
>>33954950
>Does the 1911 have any concrete advantages?
Yes. Most modern pistols have piss poor triggers, and many are available in the woefully inadequate 9mm cartridge. There is no substitute for a crisp trigger and a 45 caliber bullet.
>>
>>33954950

It has a nice crisp trigger, less recoil that polymer guns due to steel frame, it points naturally (with an arched msh), very ergonomic, huge aftermarket, and it comes in the caliber I want.
I'm also a huge historyfag, and out of my entire collection, my modern 1911 is one of only two guns manufactured post WW2.

I don't really care about capacity because there's plenty of statistics out there to show how rare it is to fire more than 9 shots,
and I consider the weight to be a good thing.

That's why I edc one.
>>
>>33954950
>i'm just wondering if there's any other reason why every giant gun company is still pumping them out en mass.
Because people keep buying them? And there's a huge contingent of people born before 1975 that were issued them and still swear they're the best handguns ever made. Those people also have more money to spend on average than younger gun owners I'd assume. I still see old Vietnam vets scrape their pennies together for 1911's when Glock 21's are $200 or more cheaper because "I carried TWO of these inside the wire during my deployment because I don't trust plastic guns like the M16".
They don't have any big advantages outside of anecdotal evidence but half of the gun owning consumers in the US prefer anecdotal evidence over facts.
>>
>>33955236
The US has a hard on for iconic guns.
>cowboy guns like revolvers and lever guns
>World War winners: 1903s and other Mauser actions, Garand actions, 1911s, .30-06 and .45ACP in general
>modern hand cannons: magnum DA revolvers
>cop guns: muh glawk
>current issue: ARs and Beretta 92s
Seriously that covers pretty much every popular gun in America other than the 10/22, slavshit, and shotguns.
>>
>>33954950
What's weird is if okay the range just to have fun I'll usually enjoy shooting a 9 like my 226 or CZ SP 01. But I live in California so really there no advantage to a 9mm because I can't benefit from the capacity when it comes to home defense. I have a 10 round mag in my TRP that I shoot at least once every other week just so I feel competent with it.

That being said, hands down the best ha shun I've fired that fits me perfectly is the CZ 97. It's the feel of the SP 01 bit in a larger .45 frame.

Do I think that 1911's are the best handguns ever? No

Do I enjoy them and find them practical?yes

It's like if you said "why even want a Shelby Cobra when you could get a 2018 Shelby Mustang cause it's new and has sat/nav." Because I want to drive that shit with the wind in my hair and my gf giving me road head, that's why
>>
File: IMG_1854.jpg (1MB, 1936x1296px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1854.jpg
1MB, 1936x1296px
>>33955286
Summed up well, and don't forget the new addition to the gang
>>
>>33955309
Give it a couple of years. The popularity spike will come when milfags that trained on one in basic start buying them as civvies.
>>
File: Doubletap-450-SMC-2.jpg (75KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Doubletap-450-SMC-2.jpg
75KB, 1000x667px
>>33954950
Ok. all personal preference aside. a .45 is nice, and a steel frame 1911 handles .450 SMC/ .45 super. So take a cheap spring, and now you are shooting in the .357 magnum tier.

While I am impressed by 9mm +p+, I will trust a .450SMC shooting out of a steel frame, to kill whatever I hit.

Also that trigger.

Side note, since you said modern production 1911. I will flex the rules of the game:

Para Ordnance P14.45
Thats a whole lotta high speed lead.
>>
>>33955371
RIA makes a tacticool double stack 10mm 1911 that's back ordered for about a year.
>>
>>33954950
because a big ass metal handgun feels 10000 times nicer to shoot, try it one day OP. Also triggers, fuck safety triggers specifically.

What concrete advantages do modern designs have besides weight? What other double stack 45 metal frame options do you even have besides sig?
>>
File: glocknade.jpg (71KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
glocknade.jpg
71KB, 500x400px
>>33954950
huh.
why would i prefer a 1911 over a glock

m9 master race though fuck everything else
>>
>>33954950
The $1000 1911 will have a significantly better trigger. There are options for fully adjustable target sights. There are options for double stack mags in at least 3 mainstream calibers and a couple snowflake ones.

It may not be the best duty or combat handgun but there's a reason it's remained the top competition gun.
>>
File: 555.jpg (15KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
555.jpg
15KB, 600x375px
>>33954950
>personal preference and anecdotal evidence
>It's more accurate
thats one of its few actual objective advantages
>>
>>33955382
10mm and .45 super/ .450 SMC are oddly equal. With 10mm you get 2 extra rounds of pew in 16+1 vs 14+1 at parity in a doublestack 1911.

Though if we are going for maximum rooty tooty point and shooty, may I offer 2 less rounds and a lot more power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.460_Rowland

Though honestly, 10mm or .450 SMC are the way to go. Rowland is just a gun breaker fireball maker.
>>
>>33955089
Fine, it's also the best of the VERY FUCKING SMALL number of other SAO triggers, none of which are available in sub $1000 autoloading pistols. Pretty much the only others available are the CZ competition guns ($1700+) or the Sig P210 ($1200+).
>>
File: Snapchat-77756199.jpg (441KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-77756199.jpg
441KB, 1080x1920px
>all steel frame soaks up recoil allowing for faster followup shots
>thin body makes concealment easy
>multiple safeties make the newfriends in the room less nervous
>hammer works well as a loaded chamber indicator
>Trigger easier to master than those of other handguns
>also
>godlike reliability if you pick a good one
source: Longtime owner and shooter of the platform
>>
>>33955428
I have a Witness in 10mm but I may get a single stack 1911 (RIA or Delta Elite) to go with it, as a carry weapon. The Witness is great but it's ridiculously huge.
>>
>>33955330
The gun store I work at just sold our last P320c, covered in scratches and missing its chamber indicator and owner's manual from its box (gun has never been fired), for $550. Now all we have are the subcompacts and people are even buying them because muh army contract.
It'll only get worse.
>>
File: 0413171321a.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
0413171321a.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>33955444
The trips of truth
>>
>>33955236
Perhaps they prefer a gun that doesn't come with a trigger designed to be shit on purpose.
>>
File: Colt 1911 Serial Number 1.jpg (64KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Colt 1911 Serial Number 1.jpg
64KB, 800x600px
I fantasize about owning 1911 Serial Number 1.
>>
>>33955594
I would not want to own that.
>live in a rainforest
>if dessication system in safe stops working a priceless artifact turns in to a lump of rust
>>
I would buy the 1911 shown in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKM5B7ykQBs
>>
File: P1180101-900x601.jpg (60KB, 900x601px) Image search: [Google]
P1180101-900x601.jpg
60KB, 900x601px
>>33954950
Same reason people buy Revolvers: there's no practical reason to own one. A 1911 needs to be a fullsize handgun, which isn't practical for carry yet home defense is better suited to a shotgun or carbine rifle.

I own a GI 1911 which is fun but pretty shit to be honest, out of everything I've shot. It was better than other options at the time, where older bullets were shittier necessitating larger calibers and the actual handguns weren't as well refined.

There's no reason to own one outside of FUN value, or historical value. A modern handgun for the everyman's defense isn't a 1911. That being said, I've got nothing against getting one anyway for the sake of shooting it. It's not like they stopped working.

I do think they're more expensive than they actually are these days though, just due to demand and fame. And god help anyone dealing with the fucking stovepipe jams. Even if you think you can tune the extractor, and even if you think if that doesn't work then a replacement extractor can work, and even if that fails and you think a gunsmith can fix it, there's a point where you shouldn't even bother with one. I own a highpoint that's lasted through more shots fired than my 1911. That's an insult, but the highpoint is an older and simpler design overengineered for bigger calibers. There's been better developments since the 1911 for practical semi-automatics.
>>
>Leave personal preference and anecdotal evidence aside.
So, marketing bullshit and memes only?
Yep, sounds about /k/.
>>
>>33955695
Snub revolvers can be practical for carry though
>>
>>33955444
What brand is that one? STI?

I was looking at theirs at some point. You recommend them?
>>
>>33955744
That is a Springfield TRP
and if not for their recent transgressions Id wholeheartedly reccomend it until I were blue in the face. As of now though?Yeah. Its pretty good if you don't mind funding a judas
>>
>>33955719
Oh definitely. You can not make a sub-compact 1911 actually work though, believe me I've shot those too. A 38 special revolver is still more or less the end-all to carry weapons for the last 100 years still.
>>
>>33955695
You haven't the first clue about 1911 malfunctions if you think "stovepipes" are a legitimate concern with the gun.

Also, until another firearm comes along that has a combination of a trigger better than a tuned 1911, and ergos that are better than a 1911, it's "finicky" nature (it's just expensive to build properly) is worth dealing with for those that would rather have a gun you don't have to fight against to get good hits.
>>
>>33956053
>if you think "stovepipes" are a legitimate concern with the gun.

Take mine. Please. I'm sure I could solve the problem trying two dozen more different brands of ammo, or perhaps several years of experimenting with hand loads.

Every striker fired 45 I shot was flawless by comparison. And those were beat to shit rentals.

>You haven't the first clue about 1911 malfunctions

Oh, what personal hell was yours? I'd believe anything after trying to like mine for so long. Did it fuck your wife and kill your dog? I'd fucking believe it. I fucking hate this thing. I've replaced the extractor and fired more shots trying to tune the extractor than actually shoot for fun and it still can't cycle properly.

I didn't spend over 1000$ on it though. That's probably the reason.
>>
>>33954950
1911's are fun to shoot. I would never carry one over a 9mm double-stack though.
>>
File: IMG-20170512-WA0003.jpg (569KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170512-WA0003.jpg
569KB, 1520x2688px
>posting in a bait thread
The trigger. Precision wise, most designs can be hand-fitted to be just as precise. This is coming from someone who just bought a Glock.
>>
>>33956098
...therefore...?

Do people really think the 1911 style trigger is good?

>Bought a glock
There are so many knockoffs which come with better triggers now that buying a Glock and mentioning it's trigger is just funny now
>>
>>33955151
Colorado is 15
>>
>>33956083
>I didn't spend over 1000$ on it though. That's probably the reason.

Your actual problem was that you probably bought into some kind of marketing. Can you link the 1911 you bought? 9/10, the problems with a malfunctioning 1911 can be traced to deviations from JMB's original design. Better sights are fine, but things like external extractors or full-length guide rods? They actually impede the proper function of the gun; the reason they exist is solely to create "features" to justify charging people more money.
>>
File: 1400102029191.jpg (127KB, 834x556px) Image search: [Google]
1400102029191.jpg
127KB, 834x556px
>>33956149
It's a Springfield I was given, not bought. I've bitched about it on /k/ several times before and been told to just ditch it because it's a lemon. Probably not incorrect. I literally just tried to search for prior posts since I've bitched on here before but external archives are jews without search function enabled right now, and using google just gives me other people with the same fucking issues among others.

Curious what you've experienced, since the feeding/ejection issues that have been my personal hell don't seem as uncommon as you imply. Most semi-autos aren't capable of much other things in terms of malfunctions. Especially with the 1911's extractor.

Either way, my point being it's not as reliable of a design as people believe. A fucking AK-47 can be made in a cave and work great, but a 1911 made in A M E R I C A costing over 1000$ can still fucking jam. No exaggeration.
>>
>>33956181
It was a gun designed to be built by hand, with certain specs being VERY specific (the frame ramp has a +/- tolerance of literally HALF a degree), feeding a very specific cartridge, from a magazine that is generally not available anymore and the only ones still made are built by checkmate.

The original 1911 trials gun went for 6000 rounds without a malfunction. It was renowned for reliability during ww1, ww2, Korea, and Vietnam. The guns can be made to work but it's not cheap, it's an old world design.

If you're having ejection issues (if it isn't your extractor tension) then it's the ejector not having been fitted correctly. After that it could be a poorly manufactured slide. This along with out of spec frames is actually common on even 1000 dollar 1911s.
Blaming QC on the design is ridiculous, the gun has proven itself in more conflict and in longer service than any handgun save MAYBE the browning hi power, and that too is great gun.

The most common issues though I've seen on 1911s are not stovepipes though to answer your earlier question, it's usually feeding issues and many times that's from the magazines and then a too tight extractor or the extractor is "clocking" and not presenting the bevel to the case rim causing a failure to return to battery.

I'm sorry you're experience hasn't been great, but you're not the first and won't be the last.
>>
>>33956181
What's the exact model of Springfield?

>Curious what you've experienced, since the feeding/ejection issues that have been my personal hell don't seem as uncommon as you imply.

You misunderstand. My experience is that the malfunctions you describe are actually extremely common and that the frequency with which they appear is directly proportional to the extent that the gun deviates from the standard government model as designed by Browning.
>>
>>33956212
Well, thanks for being more helpful in specific possibilities than most replies I've gotten about this problematic gun. Either way, I'm going to sell it when I get the opportunity. It's too much trouble. I'm going to guess it's the slide or frame, since I get the "worst case" vibe from this stupid fucker.

I'm still going to avoid 1911's in the future regardless.

>>33956216
>What's the exact model of Springfield?

It's the A1 GI model AKA ""mil-spec"". Given what I've found on google, I'd guess it's actually not that great. Still leaning towards "Lemon" more than anything else though.
>>
>>33955695

Pretty hilarious that you posted that pic, thinking it was a 1911
Instantly invalidates your entire post.
>>
>>33956212

>It was a gun designed to be built by hand, with certain specs being VERY specific (the frame ramp has a +/- tolerance of literally HALF a degree), feeding a very specific cartridge, from a magazine that is generally not available anymore and the only ones still made are built by checkmate.

Nope. 100% wrong. Please stop posting this.
>>
>>33956282
Star B? Clone from the 1930's.

The fucking Russians did a better job of stealing designs.

Hardly invalidates the "military spec" 1911 which I do have. Perhaps I have the only Lemon 1911 military standard in existence, but google says otherwise.
>>
>>33954950
The only reason would be that you think it's cool. They're objectively inferior to modern handguns in every way. Which isn't intended as an insult to the 1911, they were excellent pistols for their time (although they would have been better in 9mm or .38 Super instead of Fuddy-five), but technology and methodology have evolved since then.

Everyone produces them because the patents are all expired and there's enough Fudds out there who will buy them based on silly gun lore and myths, and enough poorfags who want a historical gun but can't afford an actual antique. The latter catagory includes myself.
>>
>>33954950
Some people just don't trust plastic. I like an exposed hammer, I consider it my safety and don't use other safety features. They are heavy and absorb the recoil of a .45 ACP very well. Can be used as a club if shit really goes south. And now we have 8 round flush magazines. I just bought my first 1911 yesterday.
>>
>>33954950
Cheap competition grade accuracy
Although you can also just get a sig 226
>>
>>33956330
>Some people just don't trust plastic
Some people are stupid.
>>
>>33956353
I'm convinced that there was some Iron Age version of a Fudd who kept using his iron sword because he "didn't trust dat dare new-fangled steel".
>>
>>33956353
The only plastic I trust: Bakelite.
I don't wear cotton.
I don't microwave food.
I don't have a credit/ debit card.
I cook everything in cast iron.
I won't buy a ploymer frame striker fired handgun.
>>
>>33956388
I don't own a cellphone.
I don't use running water.
I don't use air conditioning.
I heat my house with a wood furnace.
My house is actually a cave.
My computer is a Commodore 64.
I barter for everything.
I fight wild dogs for food.
>>
>>33956388
Which is hilarious because Bakelite is actually less durable than modern polymers by a lot. But I've actually seen Fudds hold this position.
>>
>>33956427
The packs rarely exceed seven in number, and since I installed Wilson Combat followers into beat USGIs, I have a couple of security rounds.
>>
>>33954950
Can you name a handgun in that price range that looks good that isn't a revolver?
>>
>>33954950
I bought a springfield range officer purely for the fact that it was a 1911. My carry gun (cz75 compact) is a better gun im alsmost every way. Its lighter, smaller, higher round count, lower recoil, cheaper, cheaper to feed, can be de cocked, etc.

I bought a 1911 just because i wanted one, not because its the best gun of all time.
>>
>>33956431
Who gives a fuck when it's just the buttons on your wool shirt?
>>
>>33956466
Presumably the same people who don't know jack shit about manufacturing or engineering of firearms and yet still insist they know better than 90% of the industry what isn't strong enough?
>>
>>33956303

>Star B? Clone from the 1930's.

It's actually not though.
See what I mean about you not knowing jack shit?
>>
>>33956355

He would be right to, considering how shaky of a process it was in the early days.
>>
>>33956495
Still better than raw iron or bronze.
>>
>>33956506

Bronze: generally yes, though at least when those do break, they're usually not as dangerous to the user as a steel weapon breaking
Iron: depends wildly on the technique and ore quality
>>
>>33956518
>At least when 1911s do break, they aren't as dangerous to use as Glawks.
>>
>>33956463
1911 can't be decocked? Receiver lied to me?
>>
>>33955695
>posting a Russian capture STAR Modelo B stovepipeing to try to give an example of why the 1911 is bad

Wew lad I know some people really don't like 1911s around here but let's at least try to stick to the correct handgun
>>
>>33956463
is the cz75 compact good for carry or should i go with something polymer?
>>
>>33956854
Heavy, but if you think you can carry it all day, be guest.
>>
>>33955286
Rem 870s and (((Mossberg))) 500s are both military and police use and are probably the most popular scattergats both in the US and in Canada.
>>
>>33956987
>(((Mossberg)))
I mean, I like to meme too, but the name is technically Swedish.
>>
>>33957031
>implying Sweden isn't controlled by the Jews, and is destroying itself of its own free will
>>
File: 1491572749624.jpg (20KB, 401x301px) Image search: [Google]
1491572749624.jpg
20KB, 401x301px
>>33954950
some of us live in mag restricted states, so the "lol only 7 rounds vs 17 rounds?!" doesnt even matter to us
also, the 1911 is really comfortable to hold and to shoot, even my mall ninja friends admit it when we go shooting. I do admit its outdated in terms of a combat sidearm, but Its still a fine pistol for other uses
>>
the 1911 is the fedora of the gun world
>>
File: 1493795369558.jpg (22KB, 540x527px) Image search: [Google]
1493795369558.jpg
22KB, 540x527px
>>33956108
>do people really think the 1911 trigger is good?
SAO and even cheap foreign built knock offs break at under five pounds. I don't have an anime face condescending enough for this.
>>
>you can't say that it fits in your hand better

But what if it does? I also like the slow, steady push of the .45's recoil impulse. It takes a bit more practice to train to get back on target after each shot, but in my opinion you ought to be practicing with your CCW a lot anyway. Also it has a really nice trigger
>>
>>33956303
I think you are either a troll, or a goober with a shit gun.

Good news though. Even a shit gun can take a trip to a competent gunsmith and get fixed up in most cases, and its one of two things.

Nearly all 1911 problems come from one item. The magazine, especially if you have the old magazine.

After that ensure your extractor is still operating correctly, it may need to be replaced. Extractors are consumable parts on a 1911.
>>
>>33956303
the star b isn't even .45 acp, it's 9mm. ontop of that the one in the pic is a russian capture. they completely disassembled all the guns they captured, put the parts in storage and then later reassembled them with mismatched parts
>>
>>33954950
No OP, it's popular still purely because of it's historic relevancy, aesthetics, and personal preference.

Not everyody has to be best, and if we did, not everyone could be
>>
>>33954950
>>33955003
>>33955089
>>33955151
I think this is the first time I've ever *actually* seen someone on the autism spectrum OP, and everybody is hella patient and explaining to them, with minimal flaming.

See guys? 4chin isn't as bad as everyone says
>>
File: 1450640403829.jpg (27KB, 510x498px) Image search: [Google]
1450640403829.jpg
27KB, 510x498px
>>33956330
>>33956353
How about this.

I don't like the way plastic looks. I don't own a single plastic gun, and I likely never will.
>>
>>33956286
>claims inaccuracies
>doesn't offer any corrections
Great Post!
>>
>>33954950
>look cool
>muh won 2 world wars
>the best option if you don't carry spare mags (why) and use FMJ only
>makes people feel better because safeties
>that fucking trigger
>good size overall
>is the model for most grips now because it handles so well
>hard to limpwrist because it's made of fucking metal
>>
>>33955371
>So take a cheap spring, and now you are shooting in the .357 magnum tier.
You really need to get a properly radiused firing pin stop, as well.

Hell, you should get a properly radiused firing pin stop on your 1911 regardless, like it was originally designed for.
>>
>>33956506
>Still better than raw iron or bronze.
>>33956518
>Bronze: generally yes
Goddamn steel fags not showing about glorious Bronze. High quality Bronze, which was insanely easy, if expensive, to make was on par with the highest quality steels able to be produced before crucible mono-steels became a thing in the 800s AD. Bronze's only drawbacks was its expense, rarity, and plasticity make it impractical for longer lengths of blade.
>>
>>33956560
It can be I guess, but then you can't use the safety, and it's single action only so you would have to manually chick it again, unlike the cz
>>
>>33954950
>The question is, why would you buy a modern production 1911 over a more modern design?

Nostalgia and most importantly familiarity with the platform.
>>
>>33954950
>Does the 1911 have any concrete advantages
Since you've mentioned CZ-75 and BHP - only the cartridge, since all the functionality is also present there. Neither CZ nor BHP come in .45 or 10mm though, so here you go.
>>
>>33958710
The grip on the cz75 and bhp is plenty different to the 1911. It's nit picking but there are some people who can't stand the grip shape.
The safety, imho, on both isn't as well placed or shaped, I've not look at aftermarket options for them however.
Don't get me wrong, I think those are both great all steel handguns with cocked and locked carry capability, and I even think the browning hi power was the best handgun of the 20th century, but I understand some people choosing the 1911 over it or the CZ.
>>
>>33958767
But the CZ 97 is the same gun but chambered in .45. And Tanfoglio (CZ 75 clone) makes a bunch of pistols in 10mm
>>
>>33958966
I never said anything about caliber that was >>33958710

My point was ergonomics issues and the cz97 and tanfoglio guns still have CZ ergos, if someone doesn't like the feel of a CZ75 a bigger caliber isn't going to do much to change that. (I do not dislike the ergos of the CZ)
>>
>>33957431
People CCW 1911s? I know they're single stack and all but aren't they still long and heavy?
>>
>>33959021
Absolutely people still do, length of the barrel is not really an issue for IWB and although they are heavy a good belt and holster goes a long way.
Most people these days aren't walking everywhere either, they are driving to the store and maybe spending 45 minutes walking around. It's not hard, I had an all stainless 1911 on my hip while loading lumber into my buddies barn, the gun was of no concern.
>>
>>33959021
i ccw mine but i am very obese and drive around in a rascal scooter so an extra couple pounds isnt a big deal to me
>>
>>33954950
>Leave personal preference and anecdotal evidence aside. Such examples:
Fun anecdote, Gaston Glock is quoted in saying he model the glock specifically to be like parts of the 1911
>>
>>33958665
The game is accurate, then. Can't engage safety when decocked.
>>
>>33954950
Because I like it, fuck off
>>
>>33958434
Well then you're an irrational moron.
>>
>>33959611
Only because every modern pistol is at least slightly based on the layout of the Browning slide-locked pistol.
>>
>>33954950
>>It fits better in my hand
>>It's more accurate
These are not all that anecdotal.

Selecting a pistol SHOULD be all about how YOU PERSONALLY do with that handgun. Proper grip is like one of the 3 basics of good shooting.

I have a sub 1,000 1911 and it's great and it does fit my hand very, very well, and I shoot it very, very well.

I also have a few modern 9s and a .357 revolver.

The only real world benefit of choosing a "more modern design" is ammo capacity. You will always get more out of a double stack or a smaller caliber.

The only other possible 'downside' to the 1911 for me is that you have to carry safety on if it's chambered no matter what. DAOs and Strikers obviously don't *need* to be carried with a manual safety engaged, neither do most SA/DAs, so you can take a first shot without having to remember to disengage a safety.
>>
>>33955594
>Assembled by JH Fitzgerald
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle.
>>
File: 1451328299467.jpg (39KB, 500x329px) Image search: [Google]
1451328299467.jpg
39KB, 500x329px
>>33960246
>I don't like the aesthetics of X gun
>YOU FUKIN' MORAN
Keep telling yourself that. I won't buy an AR, or a Glawk or anything along those lines because I like my guns to be made out of wood and metal. It's a taste thing, sorry you have different ones.
>>
>>33954950
>For this hypothetical, the 1911 in question must cost $1,000 or less
you realize that while this is on the cheaper end of 1911's, a $1k 1911 will beat the piss out of any poly wonder9mm. how many glockfags buy a $500 glock, then proceed to buy another $500 of aftermarket parts to make it not shit
>>
>>33960386
>you have different ones.
actually he doesn't have any at all.
it's probably what led him to a glock in the first place
>>
>>33960386
>All I care about is aesthetics
That's why you're a moron.
>>
File: 1452478437751.jpg (68KB, 431x450px) Image search: [Google]
1452478437751.jpg
68KB, 431x450px
>>33960513
Exactly how many times have you shot another person?

Why am I even doing this?
You buy guns for whatever reason you want, I'll keep buying guns for the reasons I want.
>>
>>33955767
Shame, I was thinking about getting a Springfield Milspec. Maybe I'll wait for a used one to avoid directly supporting the company.
>>
>>33956212
>a magazine that is generally not available anymore and the only ones still made are built by checkmate

1911 mags not made by anyone but Checkmate? You are wrong kiddo. Mec Gar for one.
>>
File: my name is jeff.png (112KB, 725x261px) Image search: [Google]
my name is jeff.png
112KB, 725x261px
>>33954950
Its easy for me to make consecutive head shots at 25 yards with a 1911.

I basically only carry one so I can wow people by how "good" I am even though its all because of my gun rather than my own merit.

Shooting a 1911 is literally cheating
>>
>>33960542
Oh you're welcome to value form over function. But you can't argue that that's not a stupid position to hold. How good something is at its job is more important than how it looks.
>>
>>33961107
>How good something is at its job is more important than how it looks.
What job? Putting lead down the range? Every gun I've ever owned has been good at that.

>you can't argue that that's not a stupid position to hold
>you can't argue your opinion is as equally as mine
I don't really want to, but I certainly can.
>>
>>33961131
>equally valid*
forgot a word
>>
>>33960298
>The only real world benefit of choosing a "more modern design" is ammo capacity. You will always get more out of a double stack or a smaller caliber.
There are also double-stack 1911s in .45 and 10mm, although that changes the grip shape a bit.
>>
>>33954950
Skinnier with proper grips, light recoiling for caliber due to weight/grip/boreaxis, mechanically more accurate than many other designs(not opinion is actually fact..), straight pull trigger makes for better practical accuracy for most people not to mention many are better from the factory than other guns are after having work done. Only real negatives are that they're kinda maintenance intensive and heavy. If you want more capacity the double stack models are actually almost the same thickness as your average stock 1911.
>>
>>33956053
You do know cz exists and make pistols that check all of those boxes.
>>
>>33960712
Only checkmate makes the usgi tapered feed lip magazines, the original magazine intended for the gun, learn to have reading comprehension.
>>
>>33956854
Pcr comes with an aluminum frame.
>>
>>33962176
Not everyone likes the grip shape on the CZ and the safety is arguably too high and not very wide.
The CZ also has slide stop breaking issues.
>>
>>33962324
I understand all issues stated besides the safety issue. As the safeties are almost all interchangable and come in different shapes and thicknesses depending on model.
>>
>>33962432
Well then if they have a different design than the stock cz75 one that's great, I don't personally have an issue with it but I've heard that complaint from those that chose the 1911 over the CZ.
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.