[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>You are in charge of weapons design for a survival horror

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 16

File: fuck fatties.gif (123KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
fuck fatties.gif
123KB, 500x500px
>You are in charge of weapons design for a survival horror game
>your boss gives you the direction, no semi auto (revolvers are fine), they don't want the player to have to deal with getting new magazines and want all bullets found to be loose or in boxes.
>player characters can only store bullets in holsters, bandoleers, pockets, or back packs
>no limit to how many guns can be carried at a given time, but they must have some way to carry them IE holster, pocket, or sling. And all weight is counted for encumbrance

What weapons do you include and what year do you set the game?
>>
>Snubby .38 for starting weapon
>S&W 686
>SxS 12 gauge
>Ithaca 37
>Some sort of fudd deer rifle
>M1 Garand
>>
>>33953069
>Early 1900s
>Lebel
>Martini-Henry
>Nagant revolver
>New Police
No semi-auto is a brutal caveat, but to each autist their own.
>>
>>33953114
>>33953109
OK how about this. If you want to include a magazine system (or clips for the garand). How do you implement a system that realistically uses detachable mags and clips?
IE no I picked up a box of bullets so suddenly I have a full clip.
>>
>>33953109
>M1 Garand
He said no Semi-auto, aside from revolvers
>>
>>33953069
It's set in Africa in the late 19th century, during the Zulu War. The player's default weapon is a Martini-Henry rifle.

The game starts with you as a British colonial soldier travelling up river into the unknown on an expedition to find an evil African shaman rumored to be rallying the natives around his heathen religion. The boat catches fire and sinks and you wake up on the river bank alone with nothing but your trusty rifle. You have to make your way through the bush back to civilization, while facing tribal savages, wild beasts, and the unnatural horrors summoned by the shaman.
>>
>>33953069
>no semi auto
MG42
Beretta M93 locked in burst
>>
>>33953069
>1998
>Ruger GP100
>Mosin-Nagant
>Ithaca 37
>PTRD
>>
I actually thought of such a horror game!
>1919, a cabin on a remote lake deep in the forests of Canada.
>A Canadian combat veteran of The Great War is recovering from shell shock
>He has isolated himself from society and lives off the land
>In his cabin, he is armed with a Lee-Enfield rifle (with bayonet), a Webley Mk. IV, and an axe.
>With 300 rounds of .303 and 50 rounds of .455 Webley, you must hunt game and fight off the mysterious bipedal being that haunts the lake.
>As the game progresses, and the being (or beings) grow bolder, your own psychosis deepens.
>>
>>33953127

You have a box of bullets in your inventory.
>open inventory
>right click
>select "Refill Magazines"

Magazines *also* take up inventory space.
>>
1920s
England
Webleys
'73 Walker
Martini-Henry
Purdey Coach gun
Claymore
Cavalry sabre
Crossbow
Finally, a 1901 Winchester
>>
>>33953069
present day present time
-steel pipe or other improvised melee weapon(s)
-S&W 586, 4"
-Ruger Super Blackhawk, 5.5", stainless (heavier, rarer ammo, slower reloads, better for boss fights or tough guy enemies)
-generic wood-furniture pump shotgun
-sawed-off SxS shotgun (lighter, but more spread and less capacity)
-bolt-action rifle (heavier than the Blackhawk, but easier to aim, easier to find ammo, faster to reload, similar power (for gameplay reasons))

>>33953127
Ammo and mags are separate items that have to be combined with each other to work in mag-fed guns and can be picked up separately or together.
When reloading the player can double-tap the reload button to dump their current mag and its remaining ammo onto the ground rather than retaining it, which is faster but means they have to remember to pick it up again later.
>>
>>33953069
>>
>>33953069
Dragon dildo.. guess where the holster is. Make a rare to find.
>>
>>33953069
I know you're just the weapons designer being lazy. Why list when I don't get paid?
>>
>>33953069
>prehistoric times
>club
>stone axe
>spear
>atlatl
>>
>>33953127
>>33953156
I'm not going to suggest it's really easy, but here's how I would tackle the problem...

Decide where the player finds new weapons. Maybe it's like Fallout 3/NV/4 where you can take guns from NPC's, find in the open environment, buy from an NPC, or spawn as random loot.

For NPC's, most (low levels) will spawn with non-magazine guns. Mid levels may spawn with rifles & 1-2 magazine. High levels maybe with a rifle and 2-3 magazines. Bosses with a rifle and 3 magazines.

Open environment will usually have the mag fed guns separate from their magazines. Weight it heavily towards a large variety of rifles first. When you have a particular rifle, lower the chances of finding compatible magazines. Give mags weight and bulk to discourage looting all of them. Don't give players storage--they either make a stash (might be looted randomly) or carry everything. Implement weight vs volume restrictions, so players can't stuff a drum mag in their jeans pocket.

For buying them off the NPC, only high-tier vendors carry a decent selection of guns/mags. Make it random what they carry (1-3 mags of one type), and they sell the gun AND magazine as a package only. Prices vary based on utility first.

>1 gun & 0 mags -- sell for 100 caps (200 if NPC has 1+ mag), buy for 500 caps
>1 gun & 1 mags -- sell for 500 caps, buy for 750 caps
>1 gun & 2 mags -- sell 750 caps, buy for 1200 caps

Finally, random loot. Decent chance of spawning your ammo type, low chance of a matching weapon without magazine, very low chance of one to two matching magazines. The random loot may get deleted 5 to 10 minutes after leaving the cell, with higher probabilities the longer you're away and the more accessible the loot might be. Let the player cover their tracks and lock up doors or chests to decrease (but not eliminate) the chance.
>>
>>33953142
Kek
>>
>>33953142
I'm actually really intrigued by the idea of a survival horror game with really strict ammo management and encumbrance gameplay but all the guns are full retard only.
>>
>>33953069
wild west ya dummy
>>
>>33953155
>recovering from PTSD
>isolates himself
No wonder he ends up fighting a mysterious bipedal monster in the middle of the night.
>>
File: IMG_55111435239911.jpg (48KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_55111435239911.jpg
48KB, 480x360px
>>33953711
The Wild West is overplayed.
What about a survival horror game where you play as a Japanese cop, and the only guns you can get are your service revolver and whatever you can scrounge off of dead civilians who tried to put their hunting/sporting arms to practical use?
maybe a katana or something for melee
>>
>>33953758
It was a different time. Whether or not the monsters are real will be an element of the game.
>>
>>33953069

>present day or near future
>S&W K-Frame with 4 inch barrel
>SxS shotgun
>pump shotgun
>Winchester Model 70

Have the guns be powerful as fuck but ammo scarce so you have to git gud or use melee weapons/stealth
>>
>>33953848
I could fuck with this.
>finally find a household that has guns inside
>hunter has only 10 rounds of .308 along with his rifle
>>
>>33953127
Depends on how autistic you want to get with it. If you want to go the casual route, just make the player go into an inventory screen and combine ammo with an empty magazine. Semi casual, make loading a magazine a QTE or handled outside of the menu by equipping the magazine, setting the ammo box/container of loose rounds down on a hard surface (rendering the PC stationary or with massively slowed reaction times) and pressing a button combo to load an individual mag. Have the mag be equipped and then switch to the weapon corresponding to the mag, press another button, and combine the two outside of a menu. This is all with console in mind, if we're talking mustard race just use the full keyboard like Receiver.
>>
>>33953069
So what? You're a cowboy in the wild west with a single action revolver and lever action rifle hunting chupacabras?

Just include magazines otherwise you are really limiting yourself here. Or do the stereotypical lazy dev shit where you already carry infinity mags.
>>
>>33953848
>wild west overplayed
>survival horror not overplayed

wutwut
>>
>>33953928
>ammo is stored in a locked box in a totally different room from the rifle itself.
Fuck yeah. I like it.
>>
>>33953137
Holy shit that would be awesome. Almost like a colonial far cry with magic.
>>
>>33954061
All the survival horror from the last few years has been Outlast clones; survival horror with guns and really shitty combat mechanics are due for a comeback.
>>
>>33953155
>>33953758
>>33953919

Y'all are a little late to the game. Check out the trailer for "Ad Infinitum" that came out recently. A horror game set in WWI where a shell shocked soldier is trying to survive monsters which may or may not be manifesting as a result of PTSD.
>>
>OP makes no semi auto a caveat when he really means no detachable box magazines
SKS can take loose rounds just fine.
>>
>>33953069
>1920's
>Smith & Wesson Model 10 in .38 special
>Colt SAA in .45 long colt
>Winchester 92 in .44-40
>Winchester 94 in 30-30
>Winchester 1897
>Sporterized 1903 Springfield
>Browning Auto 5 for end game

And of course
>The secret M16A1 mode after you beat the game
God I miss shit like that in vidya
>>
>>33956838
Same guy again, but that also took a page out of 1916 Der Unbekkante Krieg in regards to fear shaping real objects into fantasy.
>>
>>33953069
>Early 1900s noir-themed
>You are a detective, and the weapons they issue at the station are rather shoddy at best, and the big weapons are only for SHTF

>Lo and behold, SHTF and there's paranormal shit happening around the town, the police department is assigned to contain it until the army pulls its shit together

>You are given two weapons to use in the beginning: A S&W Model 10 and one of the station's two Browning Auto 5s (These were rather new at the time and the other one went to the chief, whilst you got stuck with the shitty 16-gauge). The ammo for the Model 10 is easy enough to find to warrant using it, but the Auto-5's ammo is near-unobtanium as the general store didn't stock anything in 16-gauge.

>When people start dying and shit, you can take whatever they called "Protection" against these things and use it. Weapons include Winchester model 73s, model 76's, a couple of muzzle-loaders and an assortment of colt, lebel, and remington revolvers.
>>
>>33953137
>the boat catches fire and sinks
>I am incapable of original thought
>>
>>33956889
>The secret M16A1 mode after you pay $15.99 for DLC
ftfy. The good times are long over friendo.
>>
>>33954052
>Lever action rifle
>Single action revolver
>Magazine
I hope that you're at home, one day, talking to your mother on the phone when she gets distracted by something and flips the car. I hope you hear everything, the shattering glass, the crumpling metal, her screams. I hope you get to beg for help as she is pinned inside, most of her bones broken, lung punctured, miles away from help. I hope that you stay on the line with her, and finally, when you hear sirens of ambulances in the distance, knowing help is so close, knowing that she may survive, I hope you hear her final gasp for breath and her death rattle.
>>
>>33956959
>implying that isn't the point of exactly describing a synopsis of Heart of Darkness
>>
>>33953128
tbf, a semi-auto like an M1 Garand may be a nice end-game or "New Game+" reward weapon.
>>
Here is the overall setting OP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlands

make it a survival horror like that.

Alternatively you could do a Call of Cthulhu rpg-style. Eldritch horrors, set it to a 40s or 50's noire setting in the Appalachian/rural NY "Arkham" area. You play as a private eye on a mission to investigate some missing person, which leads to a cult, which leads to supernatural shit. Your starting weapon is a Colt Detective .38 special, with a mid-game upgrade to say a .357 magnum or .45 m1911 (player choice, damage vs. capacity).

Cultists mainly use melee weapons, like knives and shit, but occasionally use firearms like bolt-action rifles (Springfields, etc.), and pump shotguns (870s were a thing back then, no?). Maybe one boss uses some thompson or BAR or other auto. Supernatural stuff consists of weird tentacle monsters, specters, and possessed people who will wreck your shit in melee. Some may not be killable without special methods (ie., burning them, or exposing them to light and THEN shooting them, a la Alan Wake).

Cult hideouts are mainly abandoned farms, a decomissioned military facility closed post-WW2/WW1 (depending on year), a church that has been warped by the eldritch horror, an old coal mine area, and a small town that has been taken over by the cult a la Jonestown or a survivalist-kinda compound in the Appalachian mountains (perhaps an old company town, or train station).

Ammo will be limited.
>>
File: 1412313971950.jpg (26KB, 482x277px) Image search: [Google]
1412313971950.jpg
26KB, 482x277px
>>33957003
Why did the vidya industry have to turn into such a complete fucking shitshow? Seems Fromsoft is the only one making good games these days.
>>
>>33959930
The idea that games exist to sell hardware creating an ever-shrinking pool of developers with enough resources to make tentpole games and the existence of high-capacity mass storage devices and ubiquitous high-speed internet access making post-release patches, to include DLC, routine.
>>
>>33962081
Also, online forums and guides make adding 'secret' content uninteresting, considering everything will be listed on the first google search a person makes.
>>
>>33953155
That sounds cool as fuck

I might steal this idea one day
>>
>>33962778
To be fair, a lot of "secret" content is still that way, and it's nobody's fault but the player for going out of their way to be spoiled on certain things that they'd normally come across on a normal playthrough, or if they play through it a certain way.
>>
>>33953137
FUND IT
>>
>>33959855
So a pre-WWII RE4?
>>
>>33953069
Buddy, my dick can only get so hard.

I was working on something like this.
Due to my limited skills with 3d Modeling it was all a 2D platformer, But i wanted as many mechanics in there as possible.
Australian Outback, where Spoopy shit is going down. You and a few of your city slicking friends are going to a buddys uncles farm in the mountains to get out of town for a bit.
Fits the bill as Semi-Autos are banned in australia. Uncle turns out to be a cultist and shit sorta spirals away from there.
Magazines had to be individually loaded.
Items would just have a ??? until you stopped and inspected them so you could pick up a mag but it's quality and number of bullets inside was not determined until you stopped and investigated it.
Bad quality mags would Misfeed and jam.
Reloading all weapons required you to operate the slide or bolt depending on the gun.
Moving while performing these actions had the chance for you to fuck up or fumble a round.

The weapons i had included, were mostly based off what i had shot on a mates uncles farm.
So i'd been meaning to get to him to find exact models and types.
> Four Winds Shotgun
> Generic single shot .22 Zip Gun (silenced)
> Webley MKIV
> Lee-Enfield No. 4
> bolt action .22
> Over/Under shotgun
> Henry .22LR Pump action rifle
> Pump action shotgun

and a final weapon you find with only two mags would've been the Owens Submachine gun.
>>
>>33963441
Why are they called Four Winds Shotguns?
>>
>>33963765
Because they scatter lead to the four winds (metaphor. "The four winds" is meant to denote everywhere)
>>
>>33963809
Really? That's at the same time more and less interesting than I thought it would be. Huh.
>>
>>33962792
I don't give a fuck about video games, and am financially good. So if you want to steal an idea steal "first person stapler", where it's like call of duty but it's set in an office and you shoot people with a stapler. Only problem is I can only think of 2 types of staplers, so maybe add in paper planes and rubber bands and shit.
>>
>some time between the end of the Thirty Years' War and the French Revolution
>muzzleloading flintlock pistol

You can only reload out of combat. Hope you killed or wounded the spooky ooky, because you only have the one shot.
>>
>>33964175
>you only have the one shot
one opportunity
>>
You guys should check out Sang Froid sometime

The traps get cartoony but the concept of being in the mid 1800s Canada's pretty neat, you have a muzzle loader but all you get is one shot (or two, there's a double barrel one) and reloading is more or less an out of combat activity

Something else worth taking from the game is the fear mechanic, if you are so inclined. You can do shit like make fire and get magic talismans to increase your scaryness, which can and will cause the gribblies to stop and size you up for a bit before they come after you. This is modified by asskicking as well
>>
>>33953069
>2020
>SoCal
>Meteor hits and the PC has to survive in a sense city where the remnants of police and gangs outgun him to fuck so he can't engage directly
>Has to find a place and hole up quietly so he doesn't attract better armed baddies who want his baked beans or machete armed cultists who want his boipoosi
>Constantly bitching about how this wouldn't be do damned hopeless if he'd been allowed to own REAL weapons

Weapons:
Pencil
Pocket knife
Flashlight
Muzzle loading dueling pistol
BP revolver
Double barrel shotgun
Police Special .38
>>
>>33962792
Please do! Lord knows I'm not gonna do anything with it. If some day years from now I see my idea out there, I'll be giddy as fuck.
>>
>>33963809
While that sounds intuitive, you're incorrect. After use (usually doing something illegal) it can be quickly disassembled and the parts scattered to "the four winds".
>>
>>33953137
I too also read heart of darkness.
>>
File: Spec_Ops_The_Line_cover.png (252KB, 300x367px) Image search: [Google]
Spec_Ops_The_Line_cover.png
252KB, 300x367px
>>33956959
>>33965250
>making a video game adaptation of "Heart of Darkness" would be bad
>>
>>33965300
>the Modern Warfare series does a fine job deconstructing military FPS if you pay attention to its story
>lets make a game that calls you an asshole for playing the game you bought

I never played Spec Ops, ergo I'm a better person.
>>
>>33965508
I watched a Let's Play of COD: Black Ops, it was like something teenage Tom Clancy would have scribbled in his math textbook.
>>
>>33965610
Modern Warfare is a different series than Black Ops.
>>
>>33953069
DA .38/.357 3'+ barrel
a snub nose .38
And a short 12 gauge pump action

.38 and .357 are common so is 12 gauge.
>>
File: walrus.jpg (194KB, 825x783px) Image search: [Google]
walrus.jpg
194KB, 825x783px
>>33959855
>Deadlands
>Call of Cthulhu
You have the tastes of a true patrician anon
>>
>no civil war era spooky huntan game
>you will never franticly reload your musket while IT gets closer and closer
>your powder will never get wet fording a river of blood
>you will never fortify a plantation house along side fellow soldiers from both sides of the war as dead soldiers fill the porch
>>
>>33965788
I can smell the gunpowder and blood already
>>
>>33953155
And at the end you wake up from a coma in a hospital after the war has ended
>>
>>33953652
"Remember: short, controlled bursts"
>>
>>33953652
Literally contagion. The autoguns at best for fighting swathes of zombies but are stuck on full auto cause the devs didn't want a "realistic military game"

It's retarded but you can get around it by tap firing and that works pretty well.
>>
File: CWuHFZR_d.jpg (93KB, 557x843px) Image search: [Google]
CWuHFZR_d.jpg
93KB, 557x843px
>>33965931
Also contagion has Jessica who is beautiful zombie apocalypse waifu.
>>
>>33953711
This. Survive the night alone, with a pack of wolves on your trail, with only a torch, some cloth bandages, and your trusty single action army to keep you company. Let's see what you can scavenge. Maybe a coach gun, or perhaps a lever action that takes your .45 rounds? If you're lucky, you may happen upon a .45-70 rifle. But the wolves are closing in, you can hear their calls nearby. Can you last the night?
>>
>>33953069
Game is set in Italy in 1943 to 1944 during the Allied invasion. You play as a Canadian tail gunner who's plane is shot down and you have no idea where you are nor how you're going to get back. You're armed with your issue Colt New Service chambered in .455 Webley, a pocket of loose ammunition, a kabar, and a zippo. You traverse the unknown landscape hiding from enemy patrols and finding discarded weaponry on the battlefield as you go the only direction you know to go; southwest.
>>
>>33954003
Man, manually loading bullets in real time in a survival horror vidya would be the tits
>range of vision is narrowed
>can choose to quit early to save time
>>
>>33966208
Carcano without enbloc, only loose ammunition. You must load every round into chamber individually.
>>
>>33965892
I was thinking of leaving it ambiguous. Throughout the game, through diary entries, PC hints that he is out here trying to "answer The Question." As winter is about to set in, he decides he has found his answer. It's revealed that The Question was whether or not he would choose to take his own life.

Ending 1: Player chooses to die fighting. As snow falls, he fights the beings with whatever ammunition he has left. When one finally makes it to the door (they're endless, so one WILL make it), PC dashes a lantern against it, cabin goes up in flames. Fade to red to black. Panning shot over the cabins smoldering remains the next morning. No trace of beings or PC. Cut to black. Roll credits.

Ending 2: Player chooses to live. He takes his axe, his bayonet, and if he still has ammo, his guns. He heads off into the woods engaged in a running battle with the beings until he breaks out into a clearing outside of their territory. Fade to black. A young woman hangs laundry on the line outside her little clapboard house. She gasps and freezes as her eyes catch PC [the camera]. Quietly, "John?" Cut to black. Roll credits.
>>
>>33966288
Very nice. I like it a lot. Thought up a soundtrack yet? Soft classical music that varies in intensity would fit the horror/dramatic tone
>>
File: eo-1644[1].jpg (543KB, 2800x2168px) Image search: [Google]
eo-1644[1].jpg
543KB, 2800x2168px
>>33966414
No soundtrack. Just you and the chirping of birds. Or the very sudden lack their of when It is near. Although you remind me that there was quite a bit of singing in WWI. PC could sing to himself as he chops wood, butchers elk, etc.
Soundtrack:
It’s a Long, Long Way to Tipperary
Hanging on the Old Barbed Wire
Lloyd George's Beer
I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now

And last but not least, this happy little diddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssfRd2Ppnac
A pause after that last line and then quietly, "Sorry, George."
>>
File: 1402208299939.jpg (115KB, 678x800px) Image search: [Google]
1402208299939.jpg
115KB, 678x800px
>>33953155
>Final stage of the game is you running through a cave that constantly changes into a nightmarish version of a trench, your sporterized Enfield turning into a military Enfield as horrific versions of the enemy, your dead friends, and your abandoned family haunt and attack you
>>
>>33953069
>set in ancient rome, on verge of collapse
>start out with basic farming tools
>can get bows, javelins, arming swords, etc
>>
>>33968335
The city proper or some rural backwater?
>>
>>33953155
The twist is the whole game was a metaphor for his own psyche and the main character was actually in the looney bin the whole time.
>>
>>33968315
I wouldn't take it to QUITE that extent, but you could have fun with quick flashbacks and auditory hallucinations. Picture it. You're going about the business of survival when out of nowhere you hear: https://youtu.be/NnSrb8-gryI?t=90
PC involuntarily throws himself to the deck.
>>
>>33968369
>>33968315
Ooh! On second thought, you could go the whole game within a game route.
>PC goes to sleep on his cot in the cabin. Fade to black.
>"ON YOUR FUCKING FEET CORPORAL!"
>Suddenly dragged to standing by the collar of your trench coat.
>Soldiers everywhere manning the ladders.
>Your inventory has changed. Rifle, grenades, trench club.
>"OVER THE TOP!"
>Charge into no mans land.
>Mud and debris and shit flying everywhere.
>Men cut down by machine gun fire to your left and right.
>Jump into enemy trench.
>As you make a close range kill, cut to a position three hundred yards from your cabin, the shot you intended to fire (or axe swing, if using the club) is instead fired into a gnarled, dead tree. You have no shoes on.
>>
>>33953069
Tell us about enemy design. Zombies? Demons? Shamans? Or just Zulus on PCP?
>>
>>33968422
>As the game goes on the memories and reality become more and more confused
>You start seeing Germans ducking from tree to tree
>You come across a river that suddenly starts flowing with blood and later empty Canadian uniforms
>Sometimes when chasing a deer your clothes become a uniform and your rifle unsporterizes itself
>Random artillery explosions will just happen right in front of you and knock you back, but when you get up you're unharmed and the forest doesn't have a single sign of damage
>Sometimes your foggy breath will come out thicker and in greater quantities until you start suffocating, seeing mustard gas all around you
>>
>>33953069
>Alternative 1900s
>Iver Johnson (fast but very weak, very common)
>SAA in .44-40 (slow and powerful, relativly common)
>Model 10(less damage and lighter but faster)
>Colt New Service (power of .44-40, with speed of model 10, endgame handgun)
>Winchester in .44-40
>generic Double Barrel
>Burgess Folding Shotgun
>Mauser based scout rifle
>>
>>33953069
>they don't want the player to have to deal with getting new magazines and want all bullets found to be loose or in boxes.
This is why games suck, fucking casuals
>>
>>33953069
>.38 colt detective
>remimgton 870
>a cz bolt action rifle in .308
>a lead pipe for for very beginning and if the player runs out of ammo
>.44 magnum
Basically Silent Hill 2 but replace a Beretta with a colt and add a big bore revolver
>>
>>33968498
Forgot to add year. I'd make it ambiguous, it could be from as early as the 70s to the late 90s. I'd add some background object into the game to confuse the player as well, maybe an old jukebox in a relatively modern diner
>>
File: 1494857783695-k.jpg (45KB, 1000x649px) Image search: [Google]
1494857783695-k.jpg
45KB, 1000x649px
How retarded is it allowed to be?
>>
>>33959855
I want this so bad. It could also work as a faction based rts like Warhamburger or turn-based strategy in the same vein as Xcom
>>
>>33968602
The fuck? The longer I look at it, the funnier it gets.
>>
File: Rhino2_Nera_0[1].jpg (76KB, 660x505px) Image search: [Google]
Rhino2_Nera_0[1].jpg
76KB, 660x505px
>>33953069
Set in the near or semi far future, things look Cyberpunk as fuck. You're in an urban environment with poor lighting. Martial law is in effect, being enforced by humanoid robots. You've been given a simple message, that you are needed on the other side of the city. It's urgent. While things have been left intentionally vague for security reasons, you gather that the robots aren't your friends.

The idea is to move from cache to cache, sneaking past the robots or engaging them sparingly. As you could imagine a single shot will alert all nearby units. Ideally you'd have to hit the robots power source to disable properly, but you could also hit it's sensory unit or any of it's limbs to immobilise it. Enemies would come in a few flavours. Riot police robots with clubs and shields, robots armed with slow firing shotguns loaded with bean bags, SWAT robots armoured with bullet hose SMGs, along with a couple of non-combative robots that use search lights. Add some scouting drones to make sure you don't spend too long holed up in the same spot.

You have a flashlight and pic related, the game mechanics would work similarly to Receiver. The gun would need to be operated like in real life, each step of operating the firearm is its own action requiring you to execute it properly. You die after a single hit, maybe two if you're lucky. There would be equipment stashed over the city, and random objects like tin cans and the like that could be used to distract the robots. Other weapons would be available like a shot barrelled shotgun or EMP grenades, but would have a "one use" nature to them as well as a weight penalty due to not being able to store them properly like your standard equipment. They would making you slower and louder, ruining your ability to sneak.
>>
>>33953109
That 686 needs to be a 19, 13, 65, 66 or 27
>>
>>33968896
This idea is great.
But once again, as every game ever involving robots, the need to make them indépendant to let the game be playable completely kills my temporary suspension of disbelief.
Any proper robotical force would be highly networked, instantly coming on your ass hard at the first hostile encounter and tracking you recklessly.
>>
>>33969684
Police are already highly networked via radios and dispatchers, and when some suspect is spotted in a back alley in Brooklyn, you don't have every cop in the borough suddenly rushing in. They've got a lot of real estate to cover and shit to do. If we assume player character isn't a cop (robot?) killer or the subject of a massive manhunt, The response to his being sighted would be proportional and appropriate. The robot would call in whatever units are available in a given radius based on priority. Of course, actions taken by the player such as drawing or shooting could widen that radius considerably. I could see such a game being both quite playable AND believable.
>>
>>33969770
Yeah but unlike a cop that needs to radio shit in ever robot would know everything that's happening as if they were there themselves, and if a single robot mysteriously goes quiet they'll all know and come up with the most logical conclusion, he was taken out by a hostile, a silent take down would be impossible.
>>
>>33969811
Then it seems to me the only solution would be to set the game during some period of considerable unrest, like during or in the immediate wake of a large riot when even hostile action would only prompt the response of the nearest half dozen or so bots.
>>
>>33957095
So you're too stupid to understand that anons context since OP is being made to avoid things with magazines arbitrarily in an incredibly vague game with no real setting. No to mention lever actions do have magazines, they just aren't removable.

I would be surprised if they just didn't want to model the mags or dev the mechanics since they could just use stripper clips
>>
>>33969902
This is the only viable solution.
As you outlined, petty criminality would probably warrant you a low degree of manhunt.
But as soon as you start taking them down (including surveillance drone) you'd trigger a pretty strong and very coordinated response. Every robot knowing as much as all of them, including the one you take down, needing no sleep or rest, being able to follow on the same idea for a long while etc makes a robotics law enforcement pretty darn efficient.

So yeah, massive unrest that would make even some hostile action look more normal while the rest of the force is busy with protesters or looters could be a solution. Don't know how it goes with your scenario?
>>
>>33970110
I think it's because OP doesn't want to have to explain why full magazines are everywhere.
>>
>William Hope Hodgson times: some time between the closing of the frontier and the beginning of WW1
>double barrel shotgun
>revolver
>flare gun

The caveat? You only have the ammunition that was on your ship when it ran aground on Spooky Ooky Island. Hope you can make those somethingteen shells/twentysomething bullets/three flares last the whole game, friendo.
>>
File: 1484436233835-b.jpg (61KB, 349x636px) Image search: [Google]
1484436233835-b.jpg
61KB, 349x636px
Probably some shit like this.
>>
>>33970856
Are you able to craft blunt weapons, spears, and other improvised weapons?
>>
File: cry of fear.jpg (75KB, 1131x707px) Image search: [Google]
cry of fear.jpg
75KB, 1131x707px
>>33953069
I really thought Cry of fear did this super well. the only horror game I really played that didnt have the FPS ammunition system
>>
>>33953069
If semi-autos are a strict no, do the next best thing: Lee Enfield No4 Mk1(T) (does not need to be unscoped to actuate bolt)
>>
File: 1487186786886-k.jpg (484KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1487186786886-k.jpg
484KB, 1500x1000px
>>33968896
>>
>>33953069

>Colt Single Action Army
>Marlin 336 .30-30
>Winchester 1897
>Enfield No.4 Mk.1
>Single Shot .410
>S&W 29
>Winchester 1892

early 1970's, Rural canada
>>
>>33965788
Someone needs to make this game/movie
>>
>>33970967
Glad to see my game getting some recognition! I havent much true knowledge of firearms because I havent had many chances to use them because I live in Sweden.
>>
>>33953137
I had an idea like that for an HP Lovecraft-inspired game, but set in the 21st century.

The villain of that section of the game would be a shaman that has slightly lighter skin than the other villagers; it would eventually be revealed that he was the descendant of Delapore's cousin (from The Rats In The Walls), who inherited his white ancestors' insanity and fondness for cannibalism/farming inbred people.

He would also worship Nyarlathotep and Shub-Niggurath.
>>
>>33971043
>unusable sights
>>
>>33971842
are you really one of the team? If so what brings you to /k/?
>>
>>33953155
The villain should be a wendigo
>>
>>33972244
By Jove, you're right!
>>
>>33953069
Alan Wake did that already using a revolver, SxS, pump shotgun and durr rifle, with a single shot breech loaded flaregun as a special weapon because the enemies were shadow creatures weak to light
>>
Set it in the Balkans during the late 90s and include the RT-20
>>
>>33969684
>But once again, as every game ever involving robots, the need to make them indépendant to let the game be playable completely kills my temporary suspension of disbelief.
>Any proper robotical force would be highly networked, instantly coming on your ass hard at the first hostile encounter and tracking you recklessly.

Yeah, I also had this thought as I was writing it but I was running out of room and time to address it. After sleep and my morning coffee, I reached the conclusion that a successful kill (full stealth, one hit to the power supply shutting the robot down completely or some kind of EMP device) would draw attention from the above command. Considering that the whole city is under marital law, resources are stretched thin so without any confirmation of ill deed a single nearby unit would be set to investigate. By the time the robot confirms the kill and requests backup you should be able to get far enough away that the extra units patrolling do not impact on you, this might even help you as it draws robots away to an area you have no intention of being. Think of it like a giant version of throwing a magazine in Metal Gear Solid. The downside to this is, in future areas more robots would be stationed. Making future areas harder to sneak though, also similar to MGS.

To add to this, an imperfect kill (disabled sensor unit ie. headshot or a termination of a limb rendering it unarmed or immobile) would allow the robot to call in exactly what happened (minus your exact location if sensor unit was hit) and would allow faster response from command. Meaning you cannot put enough distance between you and the downed robot to completely escape the response.

These repercussions would give every possible kill weight. Do you shoot that robot so you can pass through this lit up street with no issues, cutting your trip time down? Can you afford the increased resistance later? Can you actually nail the shot from this angle/distance? Do you have enough ammo?
>>
>>33964265
>mom's spaghetti
>>
>le gets back from work
>sees response
>>33970962
Yes.
>>
>>33953548
Better web gear gives more mag pouches, or MOLLE gear lets you find pouches to attach as you go.
>>
>Be WWII Australia before Battle of Coral Sea
>Play conscript home guard trooper
>Desert into Outback because scared shitless of Japs
>End up pissing off aboriginal shaman
>Have to survive whole game with SMLE, Webly, and whatever ammo you started with
>Since you're a coward, if you get too scared you drop whatever you're holding and sprint away
>>
>>33968287
Just another thought. As long as he's out there singing to himself, he'd probably also talk to himself throughout the game. Quick snippets or little monologues hinting at what he's been through.

>"Patty, you old Newfie bastard. You never bought me the beer you owed me... Damned Typhoid."
>"Antoine, How's Montreal? Shame about your leg. They should've taken you to the rear before it got so bad."
>"How old were you? Still fresh faced. You're the only one I know for certain I killed. You looked so shocked at the end of my bayonet."
>*chuckle* "Quel est votre prix, mademoiselle?"
>>
File: Outbreak.jpg (81KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Outbreak.jpg
81KB, 1280x720px
>>33953127
Very late reply, but I liked how Resident Evil Outbreak handled reloading. If a handgun magazine wasn't present in the inventory but ammunition was, the character would load each round individually. It made boss encounters much harder than the previous games. The animation showed the character loading rounds into the chamber, however.
>>
>>33959855
Deadlands is the coolest shit.
I'd love to see the Hangin' Judges implemented somehow in a vidyagame. The whole concept of them spooks the shit out of me..
>>
>>33968451
>Canadian uniforms
Whats with the fucking leaf posting in this thread?
>>
File: IMG_1202.jpg (86KB, 858x472px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1202.jpg
86KB, 858x472px
1887 in fort keogh, eastern Montana. During the Indian wars, a decade after the battle of Little Bighorn. The Sioux tribes frequently attack patrols in the unforgiving landscape. The winter yields freakish storms and strange weather, even a 15" snowflake is recorded to have fallen. The army is armed with Springfield trapdoor single shot 45-70 rifles and Colt SAA revolvers, pitted against lever action repeating rifles used by the Indians. You might survive ambushes without being scalped, and you might not go insane. You might survive exposure in the drifting snows and freezing temperatures. You might even survive the wild animals that are even hungrier than you. But one thing is certain, something out there is determined to kill you.
>1873 trapdoor
>1873 SAA revolver
>Henry, Marlin and Winchester lever action rifles
>colt 1851 navy cap and ball revolver
>sharps sportsman rifles
>various coach guns and shotguns
Inspired by a US army bayonet from ft keogh sitting on my shelf.
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.