[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are American Military parades so fucking ugly? For the most

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 221
Thread images: 47

File: parade.jpg (113KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
parade.jpg
113KB, 960x640px
Why are American Military parades so fucking ugly? For the most powerful military on the planet, they have some of the worst parades I've ever seen.

Maybe it's the fuck ugly uniforms.

>muh merine bloos
>>
No historical military traditions. I mean look at this shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9q7b_2tkMo
>>
>>33948094
because we don't waste our time on drill and ceremony we train, and train and train to to better where it counts down range. we do enough drill ceremony to get by who cares, rather be better at eliminating the enemy
>>
File: 1485530496499.jpg (151KB, 508x720px) Image search: [Google]
1485530496499.jpg
151KB, 508x720px
Too busy training to waste motherfuckers.
>>
It's the lack of bagpipes

Marching to bagpipes was the best drill of my life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE6cJJQACGU
>>
>>33948146
dam right 1st sergeant, just today taped up my FLC squared away the ruck and the IOTV
>>
>>33948146
But you haven't out right won a war since WWII so your training hasn't done you much has it.
>>
>>33948134
>>33948146
KEK

41% of the US military is overweight. Great training,huh?
>>
>>33948171
edgy
>>
>>33948181
It's hardly edgy when it's true.
>>
>>33948179
>POGs
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CueyX_LtHeo

Look at this shit, it's a bunch of meaningless movements, this isn't drill, this is bullshit

The marine silent bullshit platoon

Drill is supposed to be loud and aggressive, it's not a dance
>>
>>33948187
>Look mom I posted it again!
>>
File: 86.gif (1MB, 828x828px) Image search: [Google]
86.gif
1MB, 828x828px
>>33948208
>>
>>33948201
>video
Who needs combat robots when you have these things?
>>
File: 1469031924842.jpg (25KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1469031924842.jpg
25KB, 400x300px
>>33948215
>Projecting
>>
>>33948171
Gulf War, Cold war.
>>
>>33948187
"if" it was true.
>>
>>33948167
Did you get a ribbon for marching in that parade?
>>
>>33948278
Cold War was cold. Gulf War made it worse.
>>
>>33948119
Plenty of other militaries have drill teams. You are showing unprecedented levels of autism.

Ill take capability of MUH TRADISHUN any day.

What joke countries do you admire for their useless parades?
>>
>>33948094
Because there is no famas
>>
>>33948201
again autist, numerous countires have drill teams. Why do they exist?

Because civilians like them.

The Silent Drill Platoon draws huge crowds.

Now go be dumb somewhere else.

wachbattalion drill team
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5vjAU1XsX8

HMKG drill team
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX6eWJfJtxk&t=77s
>>
>>33948094
Ever seen the Marine Corps silent drill platoon in person? I have.

If you can flip a historical rifle and have your buddy catch it at salute arms, call me. Otherwise shut your stupid mouth kid.
>>
>>33948419
But we still won the gulf war. And Panama, and Grenada. Korea is also unfinished business.
>>
>>33948179
ass statistics, the post.
>>
Americans don't really care. The liberals have derided parades since the 60's and protest them, and people that might care either have deployed family or are done with the military. A parade shows off military strength to civilians and is used as propaganda. You don't really need either with our current military and government. Look at how hard the Norks marched last month and you'll see what I mean, the smallest dog has to bark the loudest.
>>
>>33948094
Because instead of wasting time, money, and effort on looking pretty, we focus on training to be better than you.
>>
>>33948534
People fail to realize how well executed panama was. Yes the panamanian army was a joke compared to the US, but there was a huge portion of "civil police" Noriega had to fight an insurgency that was crush before that could even happen. The whole country was basically siezed in about 3 days with minimal resistance being shut down completely in a few weeks. This is including the fact that there were us military bases in country, often joint us panamanian bases with us civilian families on them and US casualties were kept to a small handful. Seriously look it up
>>
Git Gud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3H4OjD2bfM
>>
File: 49.png (128KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
49.png
128KB, 1000x1000px
>>33948470
are you suggesting I claimed to be able to do that?

If a chef makes a meal and you try it and it's dog shit, then you are free to criticise it. But it doesn't make you a chef does it? Fucking retard.
>>
>>33948171
>be America
>get bored
>decide to invade someone
>Completely fucking destroy their country for a few years
>set them 100 years back
>Hundreds of enemies dead to a single American
>get bored
>Leave

other countries

>HUEHUEHUEHUE DUMB AMERICANS CANT EVEN WIN A WAR
>>
>>33948179
"Overweight" is not the same as fat/obese. Got a lot of gym rats in the military. Short, stocky, beefy dudes everywhere.
>>
>>33948134
>we do enough drill ceremony to get by who cares
Basically this. An hour or two a day depending on how important the ceremony you're in is for like 2 or 3 days and then memory dump all of it the moment you're dismissed. Drill is for boot camp and show ponies like the Silent Drill Platoon.
>>
The eastern bloc used elaborate parades as a propaganda weapon to disguise the weakness of the regime and state. Western armies never faced these problems
>>
>America focuses on training instead of looking pretty in parades

The marines have a fucking 12 week long basic training course and you're trying to boast about your training? The British Royal Marines have a 32 week training period and still have time to look pretty in parades.
>>
>>33949735
This.
Drill in terms of training is nothing to do with looking ally, its all about discipline, attention to detail, patience, self control and most importantly, getting soldiers to obey commands without question, hence why it is still used today as a very important tool to get a large rabble of men operating and thinking as one.

I guess over in the US they just put on Rambo: First Blood and be like 'you see that guy? Be that guy.'
>>
>>33949735
>Thinks basic training matters as much as unit-level advanced training

>>33949830
And we do enough of it to get that effect, but it's not going to help that much in combat.
>>
>>33948094
Parades are a cultural meme, more sad than this is Germany totally abandoning prussian traditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7mQPKRMTQw
>>
>>33949851
> but its not going to help that much in combat

So when youre about to assault an enemy position under fire and you say to your mucker 'get on my fucking arse and stay there, we're taking that position', do you want him to stop and think about it, or come with you without question?
When you get back from a patrol to a harbour area and youre tired and hungry, do you want your lads to have the discipline to clear and check their weapons, get themselves squared away and ensure theyre still alert and ready to fight if need be?
When you see a potential enemy who hasnt engaged yet, would you want someone who gets scared and lacks the discipline and self control to not fire until in immediate danger?

I guess thats the difference in UK and US ROE; americans can open fire when they feel under threat/scared for their life, brits can only open fire when there is a direct and immediate threat, i.e someone pointing a rifle at you or your mate.
>>
Drill and Ceremony are for militarys that don't have the budget to do actual warfighting training.
>>
>>33948167
Americans would already get ptsd'd from the music being too loud
>>
>>33948094
>garands
>ugly
Wat
>>
>>33949906
>americans can open fire when they feel under threat/scared for their life, brits can only open fire when there is a direct and immediate threat, i.e someone pointing a rifle at you or your mate.
you didn't describe anything

to me that sounds like the same fucking thing but the US one is superior because its more flexible in this day and age of COIN operations

people who are dangerous with out guns
>artillery spotters
>remote operated IEDs
>>
>>33949906
>We don't want smart, well trained soldiers who can act independently
We don't seem to have any problem that you think we do in combat.
>>
>>33948094
the countries that dont have a reliable military are the ones spending all their time making themselves look good, even though they know they arent, hence NK
>>
>>33950046
> US one is superior

> come into a house
> see people in the room
> get scared
> light them up
> murder civilians because 'I felt threatened/was scared'

Vs

> come into house
> see people in the room
> no weapons pointed at you
> realise they have no weapons and arent a threat
> no dead civilians

Perfect example of this is US aviation lighting up people thinking theyre carrying weapons when theyre carrying a shovel, sticks etc, like that Apache crew who iced a van full of reporters and a kid.
>>
>>33950106
>I'm going to make a bullshit generalization that doesn't actually fit over a decade of combat ops
>>
>>33950106
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Singapore
>>
>>33950106
that crew was with ones that were armed, so by association they were hit too, their fault to be near armed mudshits in a warzone, no significant loss
>>
I'm just gonna leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ0ue-XGl9c
>>
>>33950106
>like that Apache crew who iced a van full of reporters and a kid.
You mean the attack that killed an armed group of insurgents the reporters decided to hang out with a block from a convoy that had already been attacked a few blocks back, and the van that came to pick up all the evidence that they were armed?
>>
>>33950112
Search 'american caused civilian deaths in iraq/afghanistan/syria' and see how many pop up...
>>
>>33950160
If you mean the one where they mistook a camera for an RPG then sure
>>
>>33950166
And the brits had a proportionally similar count, don't pretend otherwise.
>>
>>33950180
Yeah, no, that was definitely an RPG-7 they ID'd.
>>
>>33948179
By Army's own ht/wt table? I believe it.

Also, alcohlism is rampant. Shame the only service that addresses it is Navy.
>>
military parades are for despots.
>>
>>33949345
see
>>33948458

this should have been /thread already but OP is a faggot who wants to vent his anti-Americanism under a thin /k/ related veil.
>>
>>33950120
> Operation Cottage
> 300+ yanks die fighting an island with no japs on it

Also:
> having to go all the way back to WW2 to find a british military fuckup
Whereas:
> Vietnam
> Korea
> Bay of Pigs
>>
>>33948171
>Panama
>Grenada
>Iraq 1
>Bosnia
>Afghanistan
>Iraq 2

That's the last 40 years.

>inb4 you lost to goat fuckers
The war was separate from the occupation.
>>
>>33950183
If you can show a source for that Ill believe it
>>
>>33950188
And thats why when you watch the guncam footage hes pointing the 'RPG' at the other peoples faces almost like its a camera
>>
>>33948094
>For the most powerful military on the planet, they have some of the worst parades I've ever seen.

If you want pageantry and pomp, tune in to halftime of any college football game. Those college marching bands have everything you're looking for;
>intricate facing moves
>precision marching
>peacock uniforms
>martial music with a fast tempo

Plus the added bonus of pretty, athletic girls in skimpy outfits.

Maybe the reason we have the most powerful military on the planet is because we don't expect our military to perform like a college marching band.
>>
>>33950234
> 'won' afghanistan
> afghan parliment gets hit by massive bomb a week after ISAF forces pull out

What a lasting victory, sure showed them huh?
>>
>>33948171
How many wars has your country won since then?
>>
>>33950253
>focuses on a camera and not the other guys lugging RPGs that are clearly too long and slender to be a camera
>>
>>33948179
Citation, pls
>>
>>33950272
I think they have the Falklands on their own and a bunch of participation medals in US-led NATO/Coalition actions.
>>
>>33949735
>commandos are the same as the USMC
>Not including MOS training, which is separated from basic training, into the USMC training time
Also, the real training begins after you get to your unit. There isn't the time nor the need for battalion sized FTX's that last 3 weeks in basic training.

The US military has the best training and facilities in the world, it's why everyone comes here to train.
>>
>>33949906
What you're too stupid to understand is we train out soldiers/marines to do all that stuff by actually training to do that instead of drilling them on the parade deck.

>Hey mate, follow me we're clearing this building
>Oi m8 righto this is just like marching
or
>I already know to stick to my team leader because we've done this drill a thousand times.
>>
File: ArmyHQ-2014-066-009_4PARA.jpg (136KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
ArmyHQ-2014-066-009_4PARA.jpg
136KB, 960x640px
>>33950290
Apart from all the officers who come to Sandhurst from around the world including the US (not to mention West Point, the American Sandhurst, who gets beaten soundly every year in the competition by Brits) the US marines, airborne and others who come here to train...we only come to you because youve got so much cash to spunk you dont know what to do with it
>>
>>33950180
Go watch it again, they had AKs and RPGs.
>>
>>33950316
> he thinks we train people to clear buildings by marching

This is some really weak bait m8
>>
>>33950264
>The war was separate from the occupation.
You dumb.
>>33950323
>We only come to you because you have the budget and facilities we don't have
Thanks for agreeing with me.
>>33950331
>Reading comprehension.
>>
>>33949906
>brits can only open fire when there is a direct and immediate threat, i.e someone pointing a rifle at you or your mate.

as of 2017 this is also american SOP
>>
>>33950316
I think we did three weeks just on Combat Marksmanship drilling to get the initial muscle memory and enough range trigger time. That's just not something you can devote that much time to in building baseline skill sets.

And my OSUT course was 16 weeks because we had to learn basically every weapons system in US inventory, comms, call for fire, HMMWVs, M3 Brads, and all the movement and field ops stuff infantry needs.
>>
File: falky.jpg (82KB, 634x427px) Image search: [Google]
falky.jpg
82KB, 634x427px
>>33950272
Britain.

16 of the wars we have been post WWII we have won.

Most of the wars that have resulted in stalemate or loss have had some kind of US involvement (Korea, Afghanistan).
>>
>>33950327
And maybe not watch the "Collateral Murder" version that primes you to see it the way they want you to.
>>
>>33949735
>The British Royal Marines have a 32 week training period and still have time to look pretty in parades.

The Royal Marines are also 1/23rd the size of the USMC, and have the time to be a boutique military branch because they don't have the meaningful numbers to be deployed in the same manner as the USMC.
>>
>>33950367
Few years too late m8
>>
>>33950356
> why spend our own money when we can just use up theirs, theyve got more than enough anyway
Thats economical thinking right there
> reading comprehension
You wrote the dumb post, dont get buttmad when you get called out for posting something as retarded as 'oi m8 lets clear the building, its just like marching'. I mean really, what did you hope to achieve?
>>
>>33950395
> only marine force in Europe able to conduct amphibious operations at brigade level
> still manages to train its soldiers to elite tier

> US marines
> 'waah we have so many we can just use pure mass of numbers as a substitute for training!'

Is that really the argument youre trying to make? That you dont have the time or money to train Marines properly?
>>
>>33948094
the time and money spent on military parades is better spent on training
>>
>>33950382
>Not watching the unedited original
>Being too dumb to see the clearly visible weapons being held by the people around the journalists.
>>
>>33950469
Marines take 32 weeks to train in the UK.
>>
File: FirstBloodRambo_3136Pyxurz.jpg (226KB, 1600x1201px) Image search: [Google]
FirstBloodRambo_3136Pyxurz.jpg
226KB, 1600x1201px
>>33948171
>We wanted to win but someone didn't let us win
>>
>>33950426
> why spend our own money when we can just use up theirs, theyve got more than enough anyway
>Thats economical thinking right there
So you agree that we have the better training and facilities that your military takes advantage of. Good.

>You wrote the dumb post, dont get buttmad when you get called out for posting something as retarded as 'oi m8 lets clear the building, its just like marching'. I mean really, what did you hope to achieve?
Other anon understood the meaning. Could you just be retarded and not understand sarcasm?
>>
File: Martini Party.webm (3MB, 960x407px) Image search: [Google]
Martini Party.webm
3MB, 960x407px
>>33950488

and 30 of those weeks are spent on sensitivity training.
>>
>>33950488
>hurr US marines never do any form of training again after basic
lol
>>
>>33949830
>hence why it is still used today as a very important tool to get a large rabble of men operating and thinking as one.

Formation marching came about as an effective way to move large bodies of men in an organized manner. Mechanization has since rendered that function relatively obsolete.

Rifle drill and the manual of arms evolved from 2 historic practices-
-men at arms in a levy presenting arms to demonstrate that they were armed with functional weapon, and

-musketry drill, firing, countermarching, reloading, advancing, and firing again. Again, this is an obsolete practice.

>I guess over in the US they just put on Rambo: First Blood and be like 'you see that guy? Be that guy.'

Yes, especially the part where he keeps saying 'I don't want anybody to get hurt'.

Were you referring to the fact that we tend to emphasize personal initiative as opposed to unthinking obedience to orders? Yes, we do do that. Considerably moreso than other militaries. You train your troops to obey, we train ours to think.
>>
>>33948179
I'm 5'9 and according to the Army, being 164 pounds is over weight. I'm 185 pounds now and not fat at all. They just look at the numbers and assume having a higher weight = fat.
>>
>>33950542
Would you rather stay in a 5 star hotel for £2000 a night, or a 3 star hotel which is free?

Also, isnt sarcasm meant to have a hint of humour? I dont think youve quite got the hang of banter there lad. Also if it was sarcastic, therefore in irony or in jest and therefore untrue, what was your point exactly, apart from exaggerating the fact that what you were saying was false and therefore in no way a valid contradiction to my post before it?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-03-14-21-19.png (197KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-03-14-21-19.png
197KB, 720x1280px
>>33950552
Yet the US marines still manage to have a tough time when they give it a go.
>>
>>33950593
>Would you rather stay in a 5 star hotel for £2000 a night, or a 3 star hotel which is free?
A very nice herring you have there. Doesn't detract from the fact that your country still sends your people here to receive training that they otherwise couldn't get.
>>
>>33950578
> we train our troops to think, not just obey

If you believe that no other country does this then im sincerely worried about you. Theres a reason why British forces are considered amongst the most professional in the world.
>>
>>33950610
And your country sends its potential leaders here to get taught how to be a real officer. I think weve reached a point of agreement there.
>>
>>33949574
y'know that government in Iraq is still up and running right?

Is Iraq a complete failure? I mean..
>>
>>33950630
Except they don't. Officers stationed in the UK, training with UK forces isn't the same as "sending its potential leaders there to get taught how to be a real officer"
>>
>>33948094
Say that to my face
>>
Bullshit debates aside, who else noticed there's only one dude in the picture who isn't a boot?
>>
>>33950643
They aren't doing great, but as the bank robbery money has run out ISIS has been losing ground.
>>
>>33948167
Glorious
>>
>>33948134
>train to to better where it count
>still lost the last two wars
>>
>>33950660
Not until you mentioned it
>>
>>33950677
An occupation =/= war
>>
>>33950604
I've had guys in San Diego buy shots when they learned myself and friends were Marines. Stationed in Camp Pendleton.

We crashed a bachelerot party once and we're still welcome.
>>
>>33950649
I wonder why every military officer institution around the globe is a model copy of, and sends its best officers to, Sandhurst and not West Point? Oh wait...
>>
File: iraq war.png (2KB, 292x38px) Image search: [Google]
iraq war.png
2KB, 292x38px
>>33950685
>if i re-define the very definition of war, then the US did not lose!
>>
>>33950695
Ayy fellow Pendeltonian here.
>>
Well fuck, pack it up, boys. Anon says we suck. Time to stop BTFOing everyone we fight and go home.
>>
>>33950695
Youre RM or USMC..? In all fairness, we jest but we are all brothers in arms here. I just wish the UK had the same open acceptance and admiration for our military as the US does. Advised to not even wear our uniforms out and about because of all the IRA wankers and pissed off muzzies targeting squaddies, feels bad man.
>>
>>33950732
The Taliban, Al Qaeda and massively increased heroin output would disagree with you
>>
>>33950700
>I wonder why every military officer institution around the globe is a model copy of
Sandhurst didn't become a military college until 1802. West Point was literally founded the same year. So you're already spouting bullshit.
>and sends its best officers to, Sandhurst and not West Point?
Gonna source that? Because there are foreign officers at West Point all the time.
>>33950704
>if i re-define the very definition of war
Then you conflate an occupation with a conventional war.
>>
File: 1491474644851.jpg (83KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1491474644851.jpg
83KB, 550x550px
>>33950734
I've always felt for you guys. Way under-appreciated.
>>
File: american soldier1.jpg (43KB, 358x480px) Image search: [Google]
american soldier1.jpg
43KB, 358x480px
>>33949602
>"Overweight" is not the same as fat/obese
Most American post I have seen in days.
>>
File: american soldier2.jpg (63KB, 541x960px) Image search: [Google]
american soldier2.jpg
63KB, 541x960px
>>
File: american soldier3.jpg (36KB, 426x320px) Image search: [Google]
american soldier3.jpg
36KB, 426x320px
>>
>>33950754

considering the stated goal of the US political leadership and military was to occupy iraq and impose a democratic system of governance, including the occupation period of is the only intellectual honest way to assess the war.

the US military "winning" the operation stage is utterly worthless in the proper context, moreoever, the military's failure to devise and execute an occupation strategy, and to develop tactics and train to them to that strategic end, is entirely a military failure, not a political one.
>>
File: american soldier4.jpg (82KB, 639x960px) Image search: [Google]
american soldier4.jpg
82KB, 639x960px
>>
File: american soldier5.jpg (39KB, 404x720px) Image search: [Google]
american soldier5.jpg
39KB, 404x720px
>>
>>33950749
Heroin is how everyone in Afghanistan makes their money. Not just AQ or Taliban.

Also, just because we didn't kill every single one of them doesn't mean we didn't wreck their shit. It's difficult to stamp out generations of anti-American ideology. I understand we didn't "win" the war in Afghanistan but fuck dude, we sure as shit didn't get shown up by goat herders with rusty AKs. Every time they tried taking us on in a conventional assault they got shat on. We're getting a hell of a lot better at this whole unconventional warfare thing, too. Example:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-islamic-state-us-american-soldier-how-many-deaths-killed-iraq-syria-a7226061.html

Yes, I understand we aren't fighting Daesh the same way we fought AQ or Taliban, but it's still a good example.
>>
File: american soldier6.jpg (66KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
american soldier6.jpg
66KB, 720x960px
>>
File: american soldier7.jpg (43KB, 394x604px) Image search: [Google]
american soldier7.jpg
43KB, 394x604px
>>
>>33950800
>Every time they tried taking us on in a conventional assault they got shat on
>devise irrelevant metric to measure success
>hey guys we won!
>>
>>33950749
>>33950800
AQ is still functioning, but they're weak. Their last true stronghold is the Arabian Peninsula. The Taliban was pretty effectively dismantled.

Most of the terror attacks you hear about in Afghanistan are ISIS-K.
>>
File: american soldier8.jpg (80KB, 771x458px) Image search: [Google]
american soldier8.jpg
80KB, 771x458px
>>
>>33950809
Did I say we won? No. We didn't win strategically. Tactically, we did.
>>
File: american soldier9.jpg (27KB, 450x482px) Image search: [Google]
american soldier9.jpg
27KB, 450x482px
>>
File: lemme smash.png (138KB, 233x357px) Image search: [Google]
lemme smash.png
138KB, 233x357px
>>33950767
>>33950773

T H I C C

/r/ing moar
>>
File: american soldier10.jpg (44KB, 600x790px) Image search: [Google]
american soldier10.jpg
44KB, 600x790px
>>
>>33950800
The Taliban had opium production down to <5% in 2000 before the US invaded.

Now Afghanistan produces over 95% of the world's opium, while the US protects and ships it.
>>
>>33950819
>implying tactics aren't subservient to strategic goals
>>
>>33950831
They are more so in conventional warfare.
>>
>>33950712
Yup. Horno. Holla at the SOI boots.
>>33950734
USMC. But if I was a Brit, I'd do Royal Marines. Marine by trade, go where the action is.
>>
>>33950829
Nice source.
>>
>>33950839
>more so

why is there a difference?
>>
>>33950853
Conventional warfare is dismantling a regime, military, etc. Something structured and more established. What we tried doing was applying conventional warfighting in an unconventional conflict. We weren't fighting so much an organization as much as an ideology. That's why we all but toppled the Taliban and AQ but violence still persists in the region.
>>
>>33950853
>>33950873
Does that kinda explain what I was getting at?
>>
File: american army.jpg (514KB, 2304x1536px) Image search: [Google]
american army.jpg
514KB, 2304x1536px
>>33950827
Only have these.
>>
File: american army.webm (2MB, 720x1296px) Image search: [Google]
american army.webm
2MB, 720x1296px
>>
>>33950873
>What we tried doing was applying conventional warfighting in an unconventional conflict

A textbook strategic error. The US military failed to figure out what they were fighting, whatever "tactical success" is meaningless.

The best they can say is "we killed a bunch of people". I suppose some people consider that a "tactical success". But just like in Vietnam, it is amusing that all these tactical successes translated into all of nothing (inb4 politicians, fifth columns, and other sad excuses).
>>
File: american army2.jpg (51KB, 340x510px) Image search: [Google]
american army2.jpg
51KB, 340x510px
>>
File: american army3.png (5KB, 554x87px) Image search: [Google]
american army3.png
5KB, 554x87px
>>
>>33950928
this one is actually important to do tho
>>
File: american army4.png (859KB, 924x752px) Image search: [Google]
american army4.png
859KB, 924x752px
>>
>>33950853
>>33950873
>>33950883
Let me try again. The end goal in Afghanistan is/was pretty obvious. A free, democratic, independent, self sufficient country where women don't have to worry about having acid thrown on them for going to school. This is in addition to toppling the terror organizations that were pretty much running the country, and were guilty of committing terror attacks on the west. That was what we were trying to achieve strategically.

Tactically, our goals were things such as taking airfields, clearing towns of the enemy, and killing organization leaders. Tactics are more subservient in conventional warfare because in conventional warfare there is a much clearer, defined goal. Our goal of "democracy" was pretty vague. However, our tactical goals of destroying AQ and Taliban were pretty solid, and were more or less achieved.

Our goal of democracy had the caveat that we would have to eradicate an ideology. Trying to attain that through tactical means obviously didn't work.
>>
File: american army5.jpg (94KB, 600x928px) Image search: [Google]
american army5.jpg
94KB, 600x928px
>>33950944
Aha, right.
>>
>>33950925
I agree. That's kinda what I've been trying to explain. It's unfortunate.
>>
File: american army6.jpg (87KB, 538x720px) Image search: [Google]
american army6.jpg
87KB, 538x720px
>>
>>33950844
Fair play to you mate, good lad.
>>
>>33950970
>>33950925
The only way for radical Islamic terrorism to cease is by means of an internal change of ideology and theology in the Muslim world. We can throw bullets, bombs, and aid at the problem, but until that happens, nothing will change.
>>
>>33950895
>>33950917
>>33950950
>>33950958
>>33950973
>Disciplining soldiers with dumb, mundane tasks means the military as a whole is a joke
>>
>>33950957
>A free, democratic, independent, self sufficient country where women don't have to worry about having acid thrown on them for going to school.

>Hey Abdul Al-Goatfucker
>I know you've had a great couple millenia breeding with your cousins and beating your 9-year old wives
>but you democracy now
>here have some money and guns
>better use that cash to build roads and universities and better not use those guns for petty tribal squabbles haha
>ok see ya
>>
>>33951006
>means the military as a whole is a joke
Your words, not mine.
>>
>>33950957

Even if you exclude the grand strategic vision of defeating an ideology, in the narrow context of developing counter-insurgency tactics to defeat the Iraqi insurgency, the US military failed.
>>
>>33950992
>>33951015
Read the other post I made. I agree with you.
>>
>>33951045
I know. Iraq was a different beast. I hope we have greater success with Daesh.

Until, that is, the Peshmerga or whoever we're arming becomes the next terror organization.
>>
>>33950760
Hes right though. Im 6'2", 220 lbs, but only 17% bf. According to the Army though, no matter what my actual bf content is, if I'm over 205 lbs (at 6'1") then I'm overweight period.
>>
File: T5r0Ixz.jpg (205KB, 1517x1178px) Image search: [Google]
T5r0Ixz.jpg
205KB, 1517x1178px
>>33951150
Just because you can be less fat and more fit doesn't mean every overweight person in the military is that way. I'd argue it is rather the opposite.
>>
>>33950106
I bet you Brits were taking a lot of needless casualties because of your ROE.
>>
File: 1477218625746.jpg (231KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1477218625746.jpg
231KB, 2048x1365px
>>33948094
>only 2 blacks
>no proud, strong, womyn, transsexuals, mexican midgets
That pic must be 20 years old.
>>
>>33951238
How the fuck can one look at these hats and not burst into laughter?
>>
>>33951255
You'd get chewed out and smoked, becoming thoroughly exhausted for lacking discipline. Then you won't ever do it again.
>>
>>33951255

part of the training is disciplining yourself so you can fight the urge to laugh at womanlets with funny hats

makes you a better soldier :^)
>>
>>33951275
I don't have any problems with spik womenlet, but god damn it the hats are amusing.
>>
File: 1469827803145.gif (2MB, 384x372px) Image search: [Google]
1469827803145.gif
2MB, 384x372px
>>33951255
I don't know man... I'd laugh so hard, I'd get BCD on the spot.
>>
>>33950374
So maybe the lesson you should take away from this is, don't get involved in wars the US is in. You should have figured that out more than 2 centuries ago.
>>
>>33950829
I mean, I'm sure they just killed anyone involved in drugs. Pretty sure the US could have done so as well, if they desired.
>>
>>33951198
Seeing as most of our casualties were from IEDs/EFPs not really, and at standard engagement range goathearders arent exactly crack shots.
>>
>>33948094
I don't see your problem
>class A nice uniforms
>everything straight and ironed
>garands
>nice formation
only problem is some height differences and the fact that they're looking at the camera more than forward
>>
>>33948167
>all those filthy niggers in kilts
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>33951255
>>
>>33950453
>Is that really the argument youre trying to make?

Not at all.

>That you dont have the time or money to train Marines properly?

But we do. 0311 training, which is the lowest common denominator, is 8 weeks. Add that to the 12 weeks of boot camp and your training gap between the 2 Corps gets considerably smaller.

How often do you deploy in brigade strength? We currently have 7 Marine Expeditionary Brigades, each of which is approximately twice the size of your entire Corps. Total number of deployed US Marines at any given time is at least as large as your entire Corps.

We train our Marines to be competent, then we deploy them. You train your Marines, and then you train them some more, and then after further training you put them on display in parades.

That is not optimal use of allocated resources.
>>
>>33950488
We get it, UK Marines are dumber than US Marines.
>>
File: git on the level.gif (1MB, 670x345px) Image search: [Google]
git on the level.gif
1MB, 670x345px
OP here.

This thread is more ugly than the subject matter of the thread (US Military Parades
>>
>>33950643
>y'know that government in Iraq is still up and running right?
Because we installed it numbnuts.
>>
>>33951642
STFU pog. You can't even get boot camp + extended school correct.

Don't expect anyone to read your bullshit.
>>
>>33951574
There's a reason they're looking off to the side. It's a drill movement. It's called "Eyes Right".
>>
File: dontthinkaboutyouatall.png (435KB, 490x554px) Image search: [Google]
dontthinkaboutyouatall.png
435KB, 490x554px
>this thread
>>
File: aRPmXp2_700b.jpg (64KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
aRPmXp2_700b.jpg
64KB, 540x540px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtRw_Ij2_mM&t=69s

Polish parades are the best
>>
>>33951725
well, go figure. thanks.
also
>our drills don't look the greatest because we don't spend money on them
>we don't spend money on them because we're footing NATO's bills while euroshits drill all day
>>
>>33951642
No actually, after further training they then rotate on various garrisons, and can further specialise, for example the Arctic & Mountain Warfare Cadre or as part of the Special Forces Support Group. Years ago Royal Marines were also deployed to South America in conjunction with US anti narcotic forces, and were used as long range deep recce teams.
>>
>>33951657
Royal Marines have a reputation for being hard bastards and some of the most elite soldiers in the world, not 'huah debbah dawg' crayon eaters who are only glorified by other marines, their families and hollywood.
Good effort on the bait though
>>
File: 59.jpg (20KB, 249x249px) Image search: [Google]
59.jpg
20KB, 249x249px
>>33951836
HOW DOES HE KNOW
>>
>>33948179
>41% of the US military is overweight

There are as of currently 23 people in my Unit who are "overweight". Of those 23 people 18 of them are 7% bodyfat or lower and have damn near perfect PT scores
>>
>>33948094
They were considered distasteful after the Civil War, and Grant famously hated them. The idea of a standing federal army was considered anti-American for much of our history, the Union Army was massive (larger than our WWI military by % of population) and had just been used against other Americans.

There's also the broader political reason that a republic is ruled by law and not by force, republican Rome outlawing standing armies from crossing the Rubicon for example.
>>
>>33948094
when you're the best, you don't need to LARP and pretend you're strong like Russia and shit
>>
>>33951336
>Man if a DS yelled at me I'd...
Internet toughguy neverserved types are so easy to spot.
>>
>>33951725
>>33951783
To expound: Eyes Right is a command used during a pass in review where the element's commander is saluting the General/Dignitaries on the stand to the right side of the marching formation, and looking to the right is essentially a full-formation salute.
>>
>>33950488
>comparing elite light infantry in the UK to what's basically the equivalent to royal guards in the US

Royal Marines do not serve the same function as the United States Marine Corps. Compare Royal Marines to USMC Force Reconnaissance or 75th Ranger Regiment.

>those two units still spend a greater proportion of time training on warfare and less on ceremony because killing is more useful than marching
>>
>>33950695
>crashed a bachelerot party once
That's excepted at a bachelorette party, dummy. Much like you take a guy to s a strip club for his bachelor party....
>>
File: 2d96ad2cb6e.jpg (72KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
2d96ad2cb6e.jpg
72KB, 500x375px
>>33952184
>>
>>33950700
Sandhurst accepts candidates from around 20 countries

http://www.army.mod.uk/training_education/25512.aspx

West Point makes slots available for candidates from 162 countries.

http://www.dami.army.pentagon.mil/g2Docs/DAMI-FL/USMAInternationalProgram_2014.pdf

You were saying?
>>
>>33951275
>womanlets

You mean chicklets?
>>
It's kind of hard to practice drill and ceremony when you're waist deep in dead sandniggers.

Come back when your country invades Syria, Afghanistan and re-invades Iraq.
>>
>>33951678
What, you didn't think you were going to get a jingoistic shitpostfest from your moderately inflammatory OP post? How new are you?
>>
>>33952662
We arent too keen on teaching just anyone who fancies it all of our in depth strategy just to curry favour and influence. Also given the US has over 1400 bases around the globe, not exactly surprising.
>>
US mil is more apt to going to war than looking good beyond being in uniform. Parades are a waste of time you should be training.
>>
>>33951937
Why hasn't the mil as a whole got its head out of its ass in regards to weight/height standards? If you're kicking ass at your PFT and not slowing down at PT does your command really care?
>>
>>33951722
12 weeks for boot camp

https://www.marines.com/becoming-a-marine/enlisted/training.html

59 days (8.43 weeks) for ITB (03xx series infantry training), infantry being the lowest common denominator you drooling fucking tard. Any other MOS in the 0311 series gets additional training after ITB.

http://whatsafterboot.com/soi.asp

Non-infantry Marines get 29 days of MCT, followed by MOS training. How many non-infantry MOS schools are less than 30 days? Any? Otherwise, MCT + MOS school, at a minimum, equals or exceeds the 0311 baseline 59 days.

The point I was getting at, Corky, is that the training difference between US and UK Marines is not 20 weeks as was implied by the poster I was responding to. Learn reading comprehension, you ignorant fuck.
>>
>>33953050
13 weeks you basic bitch. Then 2 months of SOI ITB. Then hit the fleet another 10 months if training.

Nice Wikipedia.
>>
File: britisharmy.png (436KB, 760x362px) Image search: [Google]
britisharmy.png
436KB, 760x362px
>>33952831
>Everyone comes to us to learn how to officer!
>Um, actually they go to the US
>Well we don't want to teach people our secrets!
Keep moving this goal posts. I almost can't even see them anymore.
>>
File: kommando philip.jpg (152KB, 570x816px) Image search: [Google]
kommando philip.jpg
152KB, 570x816px
>>33953336
those three look quite badass IMO
>>
File: CS82706141Alan-Lewis-Photopre[1].jpg (350KB, 1958x1227px) Image search: [Google]
CS82706141Alan-Lewis-Photopre[1].jpg
350KB, 1958x1227px
>>33954942
That's Clarkson, Hammond, and May in a wargames thing ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Abdullah_II_Special_Operations_Training_Centre ) where if one "dies" they have to start over. It takes a few hundred tries.
>>
>>33951836
>Good effort on the bait though

I put some thought into it. All shitposting aside, I think that the fundamental difference between the 2 Corps is the USMC is shock troops while the Royal Marines are more akin to Army Rangers.
>>
Parades are gay. You'd know you had participated in one.
>repetitions
>standing doing nothing
>more repetitions
>more waiting
fuck that
Most of the time this shit doesn't even look entertaining, just a bunch of people walking/vehicles moving
All that money spent on rehearsing and doing the parade could have been used for training things that military actually needs
>>
>>33948201
>drill is supposed to be loud

Confirmed for never having had stood in a change of command formation.
>>
>>33950957
Muslims can only commit terrorist attacks in the West because we allow them to flood in by the millions

If we just kept them out, then there would be no problem.

The Taliban were not a terrorist organization either, the war started because they tried to ban opium
>>
>>33955264
And the only excitement is if somebody passes out.

I got my wisdom teeth pulled to skip a change of command.
>>
>>33955320
>Muslims can only commit terrorist attacks in the West because we allow them to flood in by the millions
Reminder that Right-wing Christians commit far more terrorist attacks in the west than "them scurry mooslimes."
>>
>>33950973
I always loved this one
>>
>>33953100
>Nice Wikipedia.

Which I avoided using because it's Wikipedia. You seem to have connections, tell the Corps and Marine Parents to unfuck their websites so people like me don't get bad info any more.
>>
>>33950148

I legitimately would not fuck with the Indian military, those motherfuckers are on some anime bullshit on the battlefield.
>>
File: 8axM4gt.png (379KB, 470x589px) Image search: [Google]
8axM4gt.png
379KB, 470x589px
>>33950166
>civilians
>>
File: soap detergent.png (822KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
soap detergent.png
822KB, 1334x750px
>>33950958
Holy shit how bad did he fuck up to have to mop up RAIN!?
>>
>>33950166
>Civilian deaths
>Not getting rid of future (((refugees))) now
Do you know where you are?
>>
>>33950166
im not seeing the problem. there are no innocent civilians in the muslim world.
>>
>>33951574
>class A nice uniforms
SIX FUCKING COLORS IN ONE UNIFORM.
Way too much.
>>
>>33955810
The Marines have always been accepting of homosexuals, why are you surprised at the colors?
>>
>>33951006
It's a part of the military life my friend. Since ancient times, Soldiers, Marines, Airmen and Sailors have been doing dumb shit because their superiors told them to.
Thread posts: 221
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.