[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IF YOU PASS OVER THIS THREAD WITHOUT A RECOMMENDATION, YOU'RE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 17

File: whecg_7-tfb.jpg (81KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
whecg_7-tfb.jpg
81KB, 600x400px
IF YOU OVERLOOK THIS THREAD YOU'RE DEAD TO ME

What does /k/ think of the Trijicon TA648?

I'm the same FAG who has been pestering a few of you about a new optic. I started by looking at an ACOG TA31/RMR, and was convinced to go for a 1-4x scope. I was dead set on an Accupoint 1-4x24, but then was drooling for the Accupoint 1-6x.

Now I have come across this beast: TA648.
It's huge, heavy, and bulky, and totally not meant for an AR15.

At this point I'm just begging someone to tell me what to buy. I don't have any specific goals in mind, and no real budget (therein lays the problem). I don't shoot at night, I don't shoot too long range. My AR is set up for home defence, and I also have a substantial amount of property I shoot squirrels at.

I have an irrational hard on for Trijicon, and I need someone to come snap it in half. I'd like to stick to ~$1,000, but have honestly looked at buying a $2000 Elcan SpecterDR.

If you pass over this without a recommendation, you're a fag.
>>
>>33944511
>>
Major hardon for this setup, but can't explain why. It's obviously because I'm a fag.

I need a new optic. I fucking just need to do it. I am waffling every day on what my tastes, budget, and shooting style is.

I know you only use 1/4x on a variable scope, so why not cut out the fat and go straight to the good stuff with a TA31/RMR?

What are the real downsides?
>>
File: 1-4.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1-4.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
I almost bought this last night, under the influence of some Maker's Mark, but decided the 1-6x is not much more.

I don't like any of the reticles for the 1-6x, and the illumination isn't great.

Do I need an antidote for Trijicon Kool-Aid, or am I on the right track?
>>
File: best optics.jpg (29KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
best optics.jpg
29KB, 500x283px
>>33944511
>>
File: Trijicon-AccuPoint-1-6x24.jpg (27KB, 600x273px) Image search: [Google]
Trijicon-AccuPoint-1-6x24.jpg
27KB, 600x273px
I'm currently writhing on the ground in angst about this scope, or possible jumping to something even more expensive.

Can some /k/ockbags give me insight into what setups they run, why, and why it's better than dearest Trijicon.
>>
File: MAG276_2.jpg (272KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
MAG276_2.jpg
272KB, 800x532px
>>33944548
Already have some, now for scope ideas.
>>
>>33944511
And now it's time for fun facts with Mowerblade!

>#1
I don't own any optics, and can't adequately tell you what MODEL to get.
>#2
OP is the fag, not the people not giving recommendations.
>#3
What you seem to have here is a case of what I call "tacticalitis"
You seem to want an optic just for the sake of an optic, not for the added ability an optic can give you.

I recommend you git gud with irons and then get something cheap like an aimpoint to try out the waters.
>>
k16i
>>
File: rsz_elcan_specterdr_on_ar-15.jpg (54KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_elcan_specterdr_on_ar-15.jpg
54KB, 600x400px
>>33944586
Yes, I already said I was a fag, enough times to cancel it out.

I don't really want to be told what model to get, but instead want pros/cons of certain setups. I have done all of the research, and am tired of a journalist's opinion. I want to hear from some real users. I can't find any one setup that suits me perfectly, and it makes me want to just build more guns for each optic.

I have some MBUS irons, and I'm adequately good at it. I want something for accuracy at 100-300 meters. Yes, I need the cure for tacticalitis. I never thought I'd get it, but after countless months of you Marys making fun of my cheap setup (it worked, but wasn't tacticool), I sold it and need to start anew.

I use my gun maybe once a week. I have a large amount of land that I inherited, and I fix fences and check on oil wells. Every once and a while I'll evict a methhead squatter out back by BLM land.

It'd be fun to have a nice, fast optic that I can beat up while on my quad or dirt bike.
>>
>>33944511
This?

Looks nice and all. Would buy it... IF IT WASN'T 2 TO 3 FUCKIN' GRAND.

Seriously, unless you're into precision sports and dedicated to your rifle, don't spend more on the scope than the gun. But since it's YOUR money, do what you want with it.

Personally, I'd spend money on a decent barrel, maybe a good DI tube (or gas piston if you can harmonize it with the bolt and barrel), match make the ammo, and then add a fine scope on it. Alongside that, maybe add some nice smooth dark redwood furniture or standard black with the grip being made to your comfort.

That said, I've only used irons with my AR because they don't fog and I can get away with be rough with my baby.

I don't usually watch nutnfancy, no less suggest him, but he has an ok video for ARs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEE59GKnk2k

One from Supersect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHzvI6zu7Mo

Compulsion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6bo72A6VuQ

The Daily Shooter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oViJ0glasHE

And Trigger Time TV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwFGWWiGxkc

And some other obscure videos with people who are probably more knowledgeable of AR scopes than me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdDDOmsvl-A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQOZkxd027Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Fy1wKupWM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr9G9ZkJenI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69TYtVF_uiw
>>
>>33944630
I will say that multiple anons have reported wandering zero on elcans (I looked into one for my FAL a while back)

Any good eviction stories while anons come to help you?
>>
File: IMG_4336.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4336.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>33944565
Irons, because $1,200 spent on ammo makes a better operator than $1,200 spent on glass.

Sounds like you are just anxious and want some instant satisfaction. Do yourself a favor and go shoot a few hundred rounds at a respectable distance (300+ yards) and really ask yourself if you are even really capable of using irons correctly, let alone glass.
>>
File: whoosh.png (55KB, 600x570px) Image search: [Google]
whoosh.png
55KB, 600x570px
>>33944577
>>
File: Black_hole_Cygnus_X-1.jpg (1MB, 1728x1224px) Image search: [Google]
Black_hole_Cygnus_X-1.jpg
1MB, 1728x1224px
>>33944636
Thanks for the comment. I have done as much research as anyone can do, but a gun magazine can only tell you so much (and I feel a lot are bought off by the manufacturers). I'm the kind of person that needs to hold something to know what I want/need, so I need to average all of your answers into something that will be the most utilitarian. I live in the most commie part of CA, having moved here from AZ. What a fucking mistake (it pays well, though).

I have a Black Hole Weaponry 18", 1/7 barrel. I'm very happy with it. I have some good irons too that have never failed me, but I want something more.
>>
File: 3.jpg (235KB, 1200x803px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
235KB, 1200x803px
>>33944659
I do have some MBUS PRO irons, and they treat me well. I won't say I'm a sharpshooter with them at 300 yards, but I do shoot once a week (weather at targets or random shit).

I also do want the instant satisfaction of buying something new. I don't spend my money often. It goes into my IRA, index funds, and my booze account. If I weren't in CA I'd just build another gun, but I don't have that luxury for now. I figure it's time to splurge on something. It's either going to my cars or my guns.

I want a good scope that will last my lifetime, and will work great in general (not specialized) use.
>>
I hear great things about the ACSS reticle, but am troubled by the lack of availability. You basically have to buy from PA or Trijicon.
>>
File: IMG_3704.jpg (778KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3704.jpg
778KB, 2448x3264px
>>33944630
Also,
>beat up while on my quad or dirt bike

You just described irons.

But to be less fucking trollish, I love muh irons. Shoot the piss out of the acog in the Marin Crops and its a great effective optic and all but I never felt I pushed the optic to its limits. I'm pretty confident I could go clean on table 2 with irons, the whole speed thing is a moot point unless you're a competitive shooter who can acquire targets faster than irons would allow. But to appeal to your intro to philosophy logic heres the argument:
-Optics give performance advantages that you don't have the skill level to take advantage of.
-Iron sites are durable cheap and light weight.
-Iron sites have more advantages than glass.
You should give iron sites a second thought.

Splurge on ammo maybe? kek. I get the shiny toy thing, not like I'll ever use my cc but by god it will be a $1200 luxurious cc.
>>
>>33944794
almost like Primary Arms made the ACSS reticle or something
>>
>>33944800
Deep down I know you're right. My buddy has said the same thing, but I feel like it would be SUPER nice to have a crystal clear optic.

Yes, speed is a joke for someone like me who has ZERO interaction with gun hobbyists due to my location.

Thanks for the kick in the ass. I still would like something, but perhaps I should just consider cheaper options that will complete the bare minimum of what I'm looking for.
>>
>>33944842
>crystal clear
your going to need better glass than trijicon then
>>
>>33944824
No shit, but I wish other companies would license and adopt the reticle (like Trijicon has done).
>>
>>33944854
Demand.
Primary Arms ordered a lot of the ACOGs with it on there.
>>
>>33944853
I've used ACOGs before and have been content with their clarity. If it gets any more clear, I'm doubtful my eyes can pick it up. The difference between my friend's $250 scope and an ACOG is obviously night and day, and that's where my "crystal clear" observation comes from.

Trijicon quality is a standard I'm content with. I don't need to splurge for a Khales for clarity that I don't know I'm missing.
>>
>>33944886
Get the 1-8 then
>>
>>33944511

you're a FAG? or just a fag?
also if you get a site, make sure it is appropriate for the gun you intend to use it on.
>>
>>33944942
I'm a fag, with exclamation intended when reading.

And yeah, my current installed upper is an 18" 1/7 BHW barrel. Was intending it to be an SPR for close-medium range shooting.

I have a 14.5" upper as well, and am looking to build a pistol out of an 80%.

I really like the 18" setup, and /k/ has largely convinced me of the 1-4x scope arrangement. It's not as precision based as I had originally hoped, but then again I decided to go with an AR15 instead of AR10. My loss.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VXLQVT4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IB1V842/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A7ORLLB6NBMH1

Get that combo and be happy.
>>
>>33944994
That has been what I've been leaning towards, truth be told. Everyone saying "go with irons" is telling me what I don't want to hear. I have irons and I've used them for a while now, all while being called a fag by you shit lips.

I don't take it personally, but yeah, you guys a right, it would be fun to have a nice little optic. $1000 isn't an obscene amount of money either.
>>
>>33945025
Eh, I don't knock people for using irons, but yeah, you'll get shit on for not having gucci stuff on your AR.
>>
>>33944674
>Black Hole Weaponry

Not bad, not bad at all.

If you know any gun shops around, it doesn't hurt to come in and ask if you can examine the scopes. I wouldn't blame you for being a "hands on" sort of guy.
>>
>>33944511
Here is my recommendation: fuck off.
>>
File: 4d5b4fa.jpg (1MB, 2268x4032px) Image search: [Google]
4d5b4fa.jpg
1MB, 2268x4032px
>>33944511
Shot a 240 with it and while it is a nice set up even with the really high RMR on top, your better off with a TA33, one if the really low power ( as in 2x or 1.5) ACOG's or an ACSS ACOG.

What's your rifle like OP? What range do you plan to shoot it?
>>
eclans are garbage
regular ta31fs are pretty nice I have a lot of time with them. Not what I'd have for my civilian rifle
I have a 1-4 on my rifle currently. not trijicon, but leupold. the scope isn't that good, but the concept of 1-4 is, my favorite style of scope
I've tried 4x trijicons with red dots, but it's not all that. Giddy swears by them
Eclans are garbage
>>
>>33944511
Just use irons
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.