[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many rounds of .50 BFG would you need to defeat a first rate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

How many rounds of .50 BFG would you need to defeat a first rate ship o' the line?
>>
>>33933944
Assuming perfect marksmanship, one per crew member
>>
didnt we just have this fucking thread
>>
2 Guys on pumps and the rest on holes.

Can't sink the S.S. little pooter.
>>
File: 20150328_144408.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20150328_144408.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Probably a lot. The hulls on those things were thick as shit.
>>
>>33933957
We totally did
>>
>>33933944
> Oy captun, one of the cannons just esploded
> Whip the cannoneer in charge Manderlay
BOOM
> OY CAPTIN , ANOTHER GUN SPLODED SER
> Ship on the horizon!
Captain grabs telescope from coat
> Bloody hell mates, it's like to be the Spanish can't believe the coming in a time like this with cannons exploding and whatnot
> There in for the Dickens I say-
No flag, small (metallic?) Boat with no sail
About ten men in all black with telescopes on thier black muskets
> Catholic heretical magic I say!
> Fire Full broadside!
> Aren't dey oot of range cap?
> No matter, show them the might of the Kings Navy! Prepare Marines for boarding, after the first broadside turn at them lads! We will make thier mothe-
SPLAT
> OH MARY MOTHER OF GOD, THE CAPTON EXPLODED
>>
>>33933957
Yes
>>
On a first rate they prob had 24 or 32 lbs long cannons. That's a 24lb or 32 lb ball with a velocity of around 1700 feet/sec. A 1st rate like the HMS Victory would carry 100 or more of these long guns (not counting the heavier caronades). That's 50+ 24lb iron balls slamming into another ship at 1700 f/s per broadside. 3 broadsides in 5 minutes was British golden standard. They would hammer away at each other for hours in close ship action (yard arm to yard arm). If a 1st rate can take that type of punishment amd still swim I dont think a .50BFG would do much.
>>
>>33934216
>Aren't dey oot of range cap?
A long 9 cannon had a range up to 3 miles.
Doubt seriously they are out of range
>>
File: oim8.jpg (70KB, 640x437px) Image search: [Google]
oim8.jpg
70KB, 640x437px
My favorite ship of line.

USS Pennsylvania, im not even a burger but god damn, this shit so fucking sexy. Sadly the Yankes put her on fire. ;_;
>>
File: painfully thicc.png (610KB, 630x418px) Image search: [Google]
painfully thicc.png
610KB, 630x418px
>>33934054
>>
>>33934405
Accuracy was the problem. Though you have a broadside of more than 50 guns (these are JUST the long cannons mind you) on a first rate, I guess your odds are still good.
>>
>>33934216
>>33934908

That would be a pretty scary scenario, but it isn't like a patrol boat wouldn't crumple like a piece of wet tissue paper against a broadside: they aren't actually armored, after all.
>>
>>33937025
Does not matter. Modern ships have far better damage control.
>>
>>33933957
Yes, and I think the best answer was : a few incendiary rounds fired into the powder room.
>>
You mongoloids do know it's .50 BMG right?
>>
>>33937614
I saw that and thought it might be some new cartridge I haven't heard of before. Nope just a shitty .50 bmg rifle from serbu.
>>
File: BFG2000.jpg (21KB, 550x174px) Image search: [Google]
BFG2000.jpg
21KB, 550x174px
>>33937614
>He has never played Doom
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.