[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't it have a dust cover over the ejection port and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 19

File: maxresdefault.jpg (112KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
112KB, 1920x1080px
Why didn't it have a dust cover over the ejection port and the charging handle channel? A few pieces of stamped sheet metal that would have cost literally nothing could have took care of almost all of the problems of the Sten gun.
>>
>>33929308
The name of the game was as cheap as possible. You think they didn't know it's weakness?
>>
Those peices wouldn't have cost nothing and even of they were only an extra dollar a gun that would still increase the price of manufacture by like 20%
>>
>keep dust and shit out
or
>keep it wide open so you can easily clear dirt away

it's a fucking tube with a spring in it
>>
>>33929375
it was designed when britain had pretty much nothing, every penny had the be saved. the things were made out of pots and pans for fucks sake.
>>
>>33929341
>sorry about your gun not working we couldn't afford to increase the price of the gun by a few tenths of a percent
>>33929375
>20% of the gun's prize for a few pieces of stamped metal
Yeah nah
>>
>>33929454
This

/Thread

Pick up a book once in awhile, mong
>>
File: DSC02180.jpg (406KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02180.jpg
406KB, 1400x1050px
>>33929418
>the charging handle channel is important for clearing the gun of dirt
No it isn't, instead it's a huge hole for shit to get in.
>you can easily clear the chamber if shit gets in
No, fuck off with that, also, with a proper dust cover design like in the M3 grease gun for example the chamber is easily accessible when necessary and very well blocked off when you don't need it open.
>>
>>33929467
It wouldn't stop the gun from working you deranged cock sucker.
>>
>>33929480
>>33929454
>literally a few penny difference between a gun being almost completely impervious to the elements or being open as fuck
>instead just uses those saved pennies to buy some Thompsons off of the Americans for like 200 dollars a piece.
>>
File: mp28-II.jpg (25KB, 650x187px) Image search: [Google]
mp28-II.jpg
25KB, 650x187px
>>33929308
The German original didn't have one either.
We simplified the design.
That must make the Germans stupidy stupidy too.
>>
>>33929467
>sten
>stamping parts
They'd tell you to fuck off and stop wasting machine time that they need for tank and aeroplane parts and to come back when you can make it in five minutes with hand tools from wood or tin.
Look at the fucking stock, retard. It's a STICK. WITH A LITTLE FLAP OF METAL. Three of your dust covers could make an entire receiver. The idea of putting little uneccesary bobbins on a LAST DITCH WEAPON is asenine.
>>
>>33929539
This.
>>
>>33929506
>shit getting in the chamber wont keep a gun for working
Oh i wonder why they carried them with their bolts closed in a very dangerous configuration where a bump on the stock was enough to have the gun fire then. Face it, if shit gets into your chamber the gun wont work and you've gotta clean it.
>>
File: 1430858402804.png (19KB, 220x300px) Image search: [Google]
1430858402804.png
19KB, 220x300px
OP is a certified retard nothing to see here, go about your day
>>
File: 010.jpg (33KB, 700x192px) Image search: [Google]
010.jpg
33KB, 700x192px
>>33929534
Note the Volkssturm didn't get a dust cover for their simplified Stens.
>>
>>33929555
>Stating obvious shit to validate your retarded lack of understanding manufacturing.
>>
>>33929594
>It wouldn't stop the gun from working you deranged cock sucker.
You said this, and i say that getting shit in your chamber obviously does stop the gun for working, a simple almost no cost part would have fixed this problem.
>>
>i watched every recent forgotten weapons video about smgs so now im an expert on smgs
>>
>>33929610
Read other post. They would never waste shop time on your gay faggot ideas.
>>
File: bolt.jpg (41KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
bolt.jpg
41KB, 480x360px
Locking lugs are for faggots.
>>
>>33929616
Nah dude i watched every forgotten weapons video about smg's and other stuff for like 2 years now.
>>
>>33929626
>a small stamped piece of sheet metal that would pretty much fix all the reliability issues with the Sten wouldn't be worth the shop time.
>>
>>33929712
even if you had a dustcover over the ejection port what about the huge gaping slot for the charging handle?
>>
>>33929308
Despite all the people ITT, I will say though that it'd be easy enough to make a semi-tubular dust cover that closed when the bolt was held and locked back. A grease gun/AR style dust cover would work pretty well over the ejection port.
>>
>>33929739
Something like the Arisaka dust cover but not.
>>
Bigger question: Why the fuck did they design it with the mag sticking awkwardly out the side, with no easy way of holding the damn thing, instead of the mag underneath?
>>
>>33929739
The charging handle channel is not as critical but it could still have a certain type of dust cover.
>>
>>33929777
The most common explanation i've heard is that it's easier to fire it while prone.
>>
>>33929569
>simplified
>stens
fucking how?
>>
>>33929777
Prone firing
>>
>>33929802
magwells straightup welded on instead of a slipover that rotates
>>
>>33929802
For example the mag well isn't some weird shitshow with folding away for storage or whatever with springs and parts, with the Volkssturm it's just welded on the receiver.
>>
>>33929739
I don't understand why you guys keep griping on about "keeping the dust out" it's a warzone. It doesn't matter how "tight your tolerances" are, how "sealed your system" is, dust will inevitably get in there some how. Whether it's from changing mags, dropping your gun with the bolt back, or just plain dirt and grime from use. I'd take ease of cleaning over "sealed system" bullshit any day now.
Stop sucking Ians and AR generals dick, they're not the second coming, they're just angry trip fags, and a pleasantly informative curator.
>>
>>33929825
The less time the gun is open the less time there is for getting shit into the gun and therefore on average less shit gets into the gun.
>>
>>33929844
what about dirty ammo though? Or magazines you might drop in the dirt while reloading? Or when one of the dozens of little springs and polymer bits breaks? Soldiers are dumb as bricks, I'd rather give them something easy to maintain.
>>
>>33929375
One dollar per gun is a lot of money.
>>
>>33929308

Dust covers trap stuff inside the gun more than they keep it out.
>>
>>33929887
The less chances there are for shit to get in the gun the less shit, on average, gets into the gun. The more chances of shit getting into the gun you eliminate without worsening the actual gun the better. A good dust cover is a perfect example of a design choice that doesn't make the gun worse in pretty much any way but eliminates one hole where shit can get into from.

Also
>AR being hard to maintain
>>
>>33929942
>implying a small piece of stamped sheet metal would actually cost more than a few cents even in current money
>>
>>33929947
Which is why the AR-15 failed so horrible with the competition in the inrangetv sandymudvag test, right? Oh wait...
>>
>>33929947
That's probably the most retarded shit i've heard all day actually.
>>
>>33929308
>A few pieces of stamped sheet metal that would have cost literally nothing could have took care of almost all of the problems of the Sten gun.
Actually no, the really big problems with the Sten was that the magazines were pieces of shit that would wear really easily and stop feeding right, the same style of mags used with the MP40, which had the same issues.

A dust-cover with a spring on both the ejection-port and the slot for the charging handle would add mechanical complexity, you need to fit it on there, make sure nothing gets in the way of ejection or the bolt moving, and given that these were designed to be as cheap and possible that anyone could make one in their garage or shop, anything that added significant complexity would get in the way of that. Consider that the Sten is ABSURDLY simple.
>>
Also it really isn't all that common to get a bunch of dirt in your gun, even in war.

>>33929947
Stop posting.
>>
>>33930768
You could actually cover both the charging handle channel and the ejection port with just 2 pieces of stamped metal and absolutely no springs.
>>
>>33929308
idk

the real question is why you dont just use famas little bitch
>>
>>33930820
So how does it stay closed/open?
>>
>the sten gun could be improved upon

What a fucking revelation.
>>
File: sten dust cover simple idea.jpg (85KB, 1098x1014px) Image search: [Google]
sten dust cover simple idea.jpg
85KB, 1098x1014px
>>33931032
Doesn't even require a spring. If there are doctrinal issues with having the weapons transported with an open and locked well there are still ways to do it
>>
>>33931204
Btw the charging handle slot on the dust cover would be wider than that on the receiver so the charging handle didn't catch all the time. It's using the main spring tension to it's adavatange, doesn't change the function in any negative way, etc
>>
>>33931204
great job you just doubled the amount of metal needed for a sten and made it harder to machine considering the tube needs a nice external finish so it rotates properly
>>
>>33931239
It can be loose as dick and it doesn't have to be the same thickness as the receiver you stupid fuck. You could literally cut a baking sheet up and make a few. I mean fuck, you could do that, get a hammer, a pair of tin snips, and just do it your self, hammer the thing around the receiver, lmao.
>>
File: Sliding dust cover.png (8KB, 1153x549px) Image search: [Google]
Sliding dust cover.png
8KB, 1153x549px
>>33931204
You could also have the charging handle channel angled in the dust cover so it slides along the curvature of the receiver when the handle goes back and forwards, keeping the charging handle channel in the receiver closed up all the time.
>>
>>33931239
Could people like you please leave my thread?
>>
>>33929308
its so easy to make one of those
>>
>>33931350
That could cause issues with cycling. The idea of the dust cover is to just close it up for transport/storage/etc while keeping it operational/fast to put into action. Plus you'd have to have a pretty precise cut for that to work. Meanwhile my design only requires a thin tube (doesn't even have to be metal, in the current year, could be PVC pipe or something) and a long cut with parallel sides.
>>
>>33931360
someone cant take criticism 4chan is not your safe space
>>
>>33931360
It's no use. Underage fags that have never dicked around with a firearm or made anything with their own hands are inevitable.
>>
>>33931381
I mean honestly the only problem i see with my design is that it has to be rigid enough to stay in the correct orientation. It doesn't really have to be any more precisely machined than your's.
>>
>>33929308
Why didn't they just copy the design of the Owen?
>>
>>33931382
Look, i don't give a fuck about criticism, what i do care about is idiots like you who clearly don't have any idea what the fuck they're talking about ruining my goddamn threads.
>>
>>33931423
What are you a child?
>>
>>33931408
You have to get the angle of the cut right otherwise it won't cover the whole hole at all.
>>
File: Owen-diagram.jpg (283KB, 1718x1102px) Image search: [Google]
Owen-diagram.jpg
283KB, 1718x1102px
>>33931409
because the Owen gun is a dumb aussie meme gun.
>>
>>33931465
It functioned after being dunked in muddy sand, unlike the Sten, Austen and Thompson sub-machineguns.
>>
>>33931642
>same fucking action
I'm doubting it.
>>
>>33931642
>implying that's just not some aussie propaganda
>>
>>33929308
Because the anglos didn't have shit to work with and they didn't know shit about SMG's and they didn't have any time to learn either.
>>
>>33929647
>locking lugs
>blowback

>>>>hurr durr
>>
>>33929532
it needed to usually work, not be impervious to the elements

also the irish bought those thompsons
>>
>dust covers aren't a thing in any capacity until the M16
>WHY DIDNT THEY DO IT ON GUNS THAT WERE MESNT TO BE DIRT CHEREP
>>
Oh forgot
>inb4 arisaka

They literally stopped making them to cut cost
>>
>why didn't the make dust covers on the cheapest garbage smg
>nearly no other smg had a dust cover
>>
>>33931933
Impervious > usually works

>irish
Lol what's the difference?
>>
>>33932125
you are saying that one is better
i agree
they were not looking for better
>>
>>33932125
>what's the difference

Oh you're just a faggot troll
>>
>>33929887
>dozens of little springs
Lets see, the ones essential to function are the hammer/trigger spring, disconnect spring, buffer spring, mag release, and BHO. On an AK, that's a hammer/trigger spring, disconnect spring, recoil spring, mag release. So it has a total of one more essential spring, and none of them on either gun are particularly vulnerable to breakage, and both are well less than a dozen, much less multiple dozens.

As far as polymer bits, there's the stock, grip, and the foregrip (maybe, but most are aluminum tubes now). Which one of these are easy to break? Furthermore, the modern AKs-74n's also are polymer for these three parts. And prior generations were wood or bakelite, which is actually for the most part LESS durable.

Frankly, both these guns are winners as far as easy maintenance. They both open pretty much completely and easily.

Also, mud in the magazine that gets transferred into the chamber can going to fuck both guns. Chamber clearances are low for gas seal purposes. So either way you'd be in danger of malfunction.
>>
>>33929555
>open bolt firearm with fixed firing pin
>carrying with round in chamber on closed bolt

Yea ok guy, its more likely they kept it amber then red and if came in contact would just cock it.
>>
>>33929825
Correct!
Regular cleaning with tools>self-sealed never clean

Also its important to teach soldiers that the firearm is their livelyhood and they shouldn't low crawl in mud with it underneath them
>>
>>33932225
Polymer is not more durable than wood you double nigger
>>
>>33932363
Yes it is.

Try making a magazine out of wood, any wood, and see how that shit holds up.
>>
>>33932363
But it is. It is stronger (almost double the ultimate tensile strength IIRC), and also has better strength to weight ratio. It is more resistant to the elements and requires less maintenance as well (namely, effectively zero). Wheras wood furniture depends on coatings or oil impregnation for water resistance. Also, wood will swell and warp when wet. Polymer will not.
>>
>>33932363
>angry fudd noises
>>
>>33929777

In addition to what others have said about prone firing, it's a little easier on the mag spring since it doesn't have to work against gravity.
>>
>>33932553
>>33932834
>>33932512
When you guys take your polymer out in -30 let me know how those drop tests work out
>>
>>33929802
I'm more amazed that the krauts actually managed to simplify something instead of the other way around.
>>
File: 20170310_000555.jpg (4MB, 1668x2942px) Image search: [Google]
20170310_000555.jpg
4MB, 1668x2942px
>>33929308
Ive been experimenting with the sten gun quite a bit and you are pretty off the mark.

Stens actually dont really have an issue with dust, theyre kinda like the AK in that regard, super loose tolerances so even when dirty theres just too much room for it to get caught on anything.

There are 2 major reasons why stens jam. Number one is the magazines. They are pure 100% shit. The walls are too thin, the spring tension is retarded high, and they 100% MUST line up at a precise 8° angle with the chamber.

Which brings us to our 2nd issue, no feed ramp. None. It just skips the rounds at a perfect angle into the chamber. So, if the thin walled mags feed lips are even a wee bit bent, or the mag itself lines up a degree off from the proper alignment to the chamber it jams.

So to really fix the stens you need to use better mags and add a feed ramp.
>>
>>33932913
Breeki bro! How's the raifu?
>>
>>33932897
Don't buy ProMags and don't get cracked plastic.
>>
>>33933219
Goin alright. Im kinda revamping the design and getting ready to begin construction on my final prototype. Probably start on it by first week of june.

Financial backing for the industrial laser and cnc equipment is holding strong, and I think I might have a welder lined up for part time hire.
>>
>>33932897

If that's Fahrenheit I dunno who'd be out fighting in -30 degrees below. -30 Celsius would be -22 Fahrenheit which is still so absurdly cold you're not liable to be fighting out in it unless you are out in the mountains or in Russia or the far north.

I mean it's completely possible since the lowest temp recorded in Germany is around -10 to -20 (and amusingly in some cases literally during WW2, though before the allies arrived), ignoring the unique extremes of some Bavarian mountainside getting -50 fucking Farenheit. Oddly France has much colder extremes measured, and not even just in the mountains. -31F in the middle of France,
>>
>>33932897
>>33933728
The Russians found that not only was Bakelite mags (actually phenolic resin) more sturdy than steel mags at less weight, but they were more dependable in the cold, as they found that frost could form in steel mags from condensation, which in time could cause rust, causing issues with feeding with enough time. The bakelite mags had no such issues.

I don't think they use phenolic resin as a material anymore, but polymer is the name of the game for AK74 mags in Russia. Likewise they have long since moved away from using wood on their military weapons in favor of the weight savings and durability of good plastics. Plastic with good tensile strength, which doesn't warp from moisture, and which requires significantly less maintenance.

There's a lot you can do with plastic to make it stronger, making it a compound with nylon or glass fiber for instance.
>>
>>33933636
Was waiting for you to show up, its good to hear that you are still moving forward and things are working out.
Best of luck Breeki-Bro
>>
File: 20170506_121921.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20170506_121921.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>33933971
Just doing more field testing. Thing is durable as a brick shithouse. I think once I add the hammer fired system in it'll be a lot more reliable too.
>>
>>33932242
Where the hell did i claim that they carried with a round kn the chamber?
>>
>>33929308

Too expensive and time consuming
>>
>>33929308
You obviously don't understand how the real world world works. The sten is an example a object being greater than the sum of its parts. For what the weapon offered in terms of fire power and basic reliability it truly is one of the
greatest weapons ever made. It cost next to nothing and armed a lot of soldiers when when a country was truly desperate to arm its men when strategic materials are at a premium. It beats the fuck out of a club. Just look up the sterling smg some time if you want a "fixed sten" It was far from perfect but when you just got to have a gun you can do a hell of lot worse then a sten and few mags.
>>
>>33931670
>>33931675
I hope you're just playing le ebin trol, because the Owen gun's reliability is well documented.
>>
>>33936296
>sterling
What the sterling was was an expensive polished turd.
>>
>>33936566
Your noguns is showing pretty hard. read a book sometime. The sterling is probably the most reliable SMG ever made.
>>
>>33936566
Wtf are you talking about? The sterling represented the pinnacle of the direct blowback "tube-gun" design that was charecteristic of SMG's of the era.

Yeah, better shit followed it, but just because it was eclipsed by more advanced designs coming out later doesnt make it a quote "polished turd."

It was probably one of the best SMGs of its era right up there with the Uzi and skorpion.
>>
>>33929777
>Why the fuck did they design it with the mag sticking awkwardly out the side, [...]
That was pretty common back before the war. The German MP35 and original Erma MP designs did that. The earlier British Lanchester was also like this, as was the Czech ZK-383 and Japanese Type 100.

>with no easy way of holding the damn thing, [...]
It actually was originally designed with a foregrip, but that was dropped when they went into production, because they needed millions of these, and they needed them last week, because this was at the height of the Blitz and they genuinely feared a full-scale invasion by Germany.

>instead of the mag underneath?

This was basically the first generation of submachine guns, they were still experimenting with them. I assume the horizontal magazine thing was influenced by light machine guns of the same period, some of which had the same horizontal magazine, eg. the Breda 30.

Also at that time, guns generally didn't have long magazines hanging from the bottom. They would by the end of the war, but rifles and pistols were mostly around ten rounds. Thirty rounds of anything was pretty uncommon before the war, and it's only because of the developments since that we see the vertical hanging magazine as an obvious choice, but that's hindsight for you.

Just look at all the positions magazines were located on light machine guns, sometimes they're on vertically on top, sometimes below, sometimes horizontally, sometimes they're on a 45 degree angle, then you have the Chaucat loops, the Lewis gun pans, they just tried everything they could think of.

>tl;dr fuck off, Mr Moneybags MacHindsight
>>
>>33932902
In true autistic fashion, the kraut engineers were probably told that simplified design was their goal and they took it to the next level

You really shouldnt be surprised
>>
File: 14945757531131027859137.jpg (2MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
14945757531131027859137.jpg
2MB, 2160x2160px
>>33936779
There is s very good reason for why they didnt have vertical magazines. Double stack mags were still a pretty new thing, the single stack mags on them were very long and if mounted vertically tended to impede firing from the prone.

Im not trying to brag or jerk my own dick, i've experimented EXTENSIVELEY with the sten platform. Ive been building and modifying them pretty much constantly for the past 3 years. Ive also read up on them to a staggeringly autistic level.

Heres a pic of one in a vertically feeding configuration I built. Its a modern mag but its just as long as the originals. Look how far a 32 round single stack mag sticks out from under it. Prone fire is next to impossible.

>inb4 "hurrrr curved mags, double stack mags!"

They went to war with what they had. Bombs were falling on london, the krauts could be massing for a land invasion just a few miles across the english channel. The STEN was not a weapon given years of development and made with the luxury of grade A matierials and a highly skilled workforce. It was a desperation measure that was cheap, worked reasonably well, and above all else, was easy to construct.

Nannies, teenagers, the elderly, and housewives could (and did) put them together in basements and scattered workshops as bombs were going off outside in the streets.
>>
>>33929375
i dont think you realize how poor and destitute they were, they literally changed their coin money to worthless zinc to save copper, people were on gov rations for almost everything, steel was at a fucking premium, it was like gold.

that said, a dust cover would have probably done jack shit, it fires from an open bolt remember.

what they should have done is not retardedly put the magazine well on the side and instead have it on the bottom like a normal fucking gun
>>
>>33929501
also it wasnt a gun for regular standing army combat forces, it was a gun for giving away to resistance fighters and secret agents, who routinely complained at how shitty the guns were and how unreliable they were
>>
>>33936857
See >>33936830

It was not a weapon given years of developement. It was an economized copy of the lanchester SMG, which was itself a copy of the mp28.

It was a desperation measure that was designed to be as cheap as possible with as little changes to tooling or operation principles as possible.

They needed atleast a million SMGs and they needed them 6 months ago. The STEN is the result. British military generals were retarded and referred to SMGs as "gangster guns." When proponents of the submachine gun tried getting british high brass to adopt them in the 30's the generals smirked and said shit to the tune of "they are just dirty criminal guns only good for gangsters to spray at eachother in back alleys with, who cares if the krauts got em, we'll just plug em from 800 yards away with our bolt action rifles before they ever get to use them!"

Such fuddtastic resistance to tech meant german units had a very dangerous edge on british forces when the war broke out. Aside from a few defensive examples of the lanchester onboard naval vesels to repel boarders the brits had virtually zero SMGs. They needed to match germany and put atleast 500,000 of them on the field in only a matter of months. The STEN fulfilled this role. It was a crazy close call for the brits. Poor virtually helplesd fucks with long clumsy bolt action rifles were being literally mowed down in close combat by the Nazis mp38's and mp40's.
>>
>>33936904
When people hear how resistant to tech countries like britain and france were to be going to war with weapons from ww1, one has to remember something.

France and Britain still had guys who had started their careers in the fucking 1890's running the show. To a lot of the high brass running the show smokeless powder was still a new thing when theyd started their careers.

To them bolt action rifles firing smokeless cartridges supported by water cooled machineguns in static positions were cutting edge tech. Its what happens when a nation gets too complacent and starts letting old has-beens who should have been retired a decade ago pile up at the top.

These were 70 and even 80 year old men running the aquisition and planning committes. If it didnt weight 12 pounds, have wood all the way to the end of the barrel, and fire something flat shooting to 700 yards they didnt want to even look at it.

These guys thought tanks and airplanes were just a fad, and only grudgingly accepted that machineguns worked well, and even then only seemed to view them as defensive emplacements.

Hitler purged the fuck outta his countries military, was obsessed with tech, and had his shit being run by new guys in their prime with a bad case of technophilia and bone to pick about the versailles treaty.

Quite frankly it took europe by suprise and made a lot of said old men who I previously mentioned shit their pants. The sten was a desperate scramble to correct the errors of the previous 2 decades and attempt to put SOMETHING, ANYTHING comparable to what the germans had on the battlefield.
>>
>>33936857
The M3 is open bolt and yet it manages to have an effective dust cover.
>>
File: arisakadustcover.jpg (6KB, 317x159px) Image search: [Google]
arisakadustcover.jpg
6KB, 317x159px
>>33932009
>>dust covers weren't a thing until the M16
>>
>>33933728
Nigger I live in Minnesota and -30 is common as shit
>>
>>33932009
What is arisaka
what is greese gun
what is ak
>>
>>33937656
Like he said, nobody is going to fight over Minnesota. :^)
>>
>>33937018
Oh wow a gun developed in a country not facing imminent invasion manages to create weapons that have more design and testing. Man you must be able to stump the experts, eh?
>>
>>33937984
Well expert stumper is middle name.
>>
>>33933636
>>33932913
Wait, what's going on here?
>>
>>33938022
Probably because it's how your family tree looks like. No branching out.
>>
File: IMG_0340.jpg (15KB, 650x199px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0340.jpg
15KB, 650x199px
Anybody else think the Sten is just disgustingly sexy? It's so basic, but there's a sexiness in that simplicity.
>>
File: 20170416_133104.jpg (3MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170416_133104.jpg
3MB, 2160x2160px
>>33938092
Ive been experimenting with the sten design, im planning on licensing up to manufacture and im gonna sell a modernized sten based 9mm carbine for about $425 a pop.

Its been an ongoing project of mine for a few years, lots of people on /k/ have helped.
>>
>>33939286
Honestly is it even worth it to keep the Sten style lower btw? You were gonna make it hammer fired, right?
>>
>>33929308
It shot bullets most of the time and that's all it needed to do.
>>
>>33940794
Im gonna change out the lower, probably make it use an AK or AR pistol grip too. Vagueley like the lower on pic related, only not crappily made.
>>
>>33940865
Are you gonna make proprietary trigger systems or just make the receiver fit something like the AR-15 trigger system?
>>
>>33936779
what does that make the thompson, then, 20 years ahead of its time?
>>
>>33940892
Definiteley not proprietary. Gonna go with the AR trigger group cuz its cheap, reliable, and people can find replacement parts or upgrades literally anywhere.
>>
>>33940928
That's like saying the AK is 70 years ahead of its time since it is still used.
>>
>>33940939
Yeah that's the smart route to take for sure, i wonder how well the AR trigger group does with a stamped receiver. Also, where the hell does that 425$ price tag come from btw? How much do barrels cost for example?
>>
File: 705_mk_2_wood.jpg (9KB, 600x170px) Image search: [Google]
705_mk_2_wood.jpg
9KB, 600x170px
>>33940939
Will it still retain the ability to use STEN furniture?

Because wood stocks are my fucking jam.
>>
>>33938321
The later marks with wood furniture and grips.....hnnnng, muh dick.
>>
>>33940965
Factoring in all expenses (not just matierials but also employee wages and shit) Its gonna cost me about $200 to $250 per gun to make em.

In order to break even on the total cost of investment ($50,000 to $75,000) i need to sell atleast 150 to 175 rifles at $425.

Im actually kinda highballing the retain price and assuming everything is going to be as expensive as possible. If during the process I find cheaper ways to lower cost like buying a machine used or working out a cheaper method or manufacture then cost of investment decreases and my retail cost will too.

Honestly, I need to get everything up and running but its entireley possible that the price ends up closer to the $350-375 range.

Barrel costs about $90 because Its the only part I wont be able to make with any quality on my own. (Excluding the AR parts i will be sourcing but thats small fry when you get it in bulk)
>>
>>33940983
Maybe. Its an evolving concept. My final product could just end up being inspired by the STEN's cheap and simple manufacture methods. I need to finish my next prototype to be certain.
>>
>>33941040
What kind of machinery you getting? Do you need a lathe for example?
>>
>>33936862
Yup. When the Brits needed a good gun for themselves, they copied the krauts and called it the Lanchester.

SOP for Le French Resistance Fighter
>Take free STEN from allied contact
>Stalk Wehrmacht soldier
>Murder him with STEN
>Steal Mauser
>Fight with good gun
>>
>>33938321
Colion is that you?
>>
>>33941065
Laser CNC cutter for the reciever, CNC mill for the bolt, welding equipment, metal press.
Not sure how im gonna finish them yet, probably duracoat.

Im hoping to be able to make 100 of them per week. Machinery costs might be able to be cut, chinas economic bubble popping means lots of industrial machinery for pennies on the dollar are available now from failed chinese factories. If I can get the machinery cheaper that way it would cut costs dramatically.
>>
>>33941142
>Laser CNC cutter for the reciever
What do you mean? Isn't the lower receiver gonna be a stamping and the upper just basically a tube?
>>
>>33936984
It's amazing how long shit hung around in the UK's armed forced. Here are those same WWI bolt actions in fucking Korea! I mean, shit, there were Lee-Enfields being used during the early days of The Troubles for fuck's sake!
>>
>>33941162
The laser CNC can do both rotary and flat work. So it would be cutting out the reciever tubes and cutting the flats for the lower. Additionally I could use it to crank out AK-flats (or flats for any stamped sheet metal type reciever really).
>>
>>33929308
Main problem was the double stack single feed mag. Not dirt in the receiver. Lots of other smgs ftom the time do the same.
>>
>>33941351
AR180
R

except don't make it shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9SJYJy1xuU
>>
File: philippines-m3-grease-gun.jpg (26KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
philippines-m3-grease-gun.jpg
26KB, 500x375px
>>33941218
Not suprising really. The glut of WW2 surplus arms pretty much killed small-arms innovation in many countries until the 70's, even today lots of countries just buy surplus ww2 shit and update it a bit.

If you are a small nation looking to buy an SMG do you develop a new one or just buy crates and crates of PPSH-43's, STENs, and M3 greaseguns for almost nothing?

Shit, the M3 grease gun was still being issued to some american tank crews as a PDW in the gulf war. Fuck theres STILL 3rd world police forces and soldiers carrying ww2 SMGs around.
>>
>>33941394
Maybe some day, Im going to use 9mm carbines to get things started up first though. If I ever make any real money it could happen.
>>
>>33941351
Would it be smarter to make your first few batches with a drill press? That way you wouldn't have to invest as much, although making the bolt would be quite tricky.
>>
>>33941409
Yeah well in the case of the grease gun modern smg's aren't really even much better.
>>
>>33941409
Grease guns with suppressors?

Looks pretty neat actually.
>>
>>33941762
>trying to make a company and a name in the industry
>lol just use a drill press
>>
>>33941762
No, it requires cuts with 90° turns and shit to work. Plus there isnt really any advantage to producing small numbers if you arent going to sell for a high price.

Its why some chucklefuck who runs a company called valkrie arms is selling closed bolt semi auto replicas of the STEN for $1300 a pop. Because he only makes maybe 100 per year and only has to convince a tiny number of idiots to buy for that high to make a living.

Im going for low price high volume of sale here.
Thread posts: 147
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.