[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The katana is a simple, elegant, good-looking all-in-one weapon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: latest-10.png (116KB, 447x163px) Image search: [Google]
latest-10.png
116KB, 447x163px
The katana is a simple, elegant, good-looking all-in-one weapon that satisfies all your sword needs. Its versatility means it can be the user's sole melee weapon aside from a small sidearm, which doesn't really count. This combines with Japan's standardization on the katana to make it a very popular, iconic sword.

By contrast, there's too many western swords in play. More recent sabres are different from medieval swords, and when westerners think about swords, they think about knights in shining armor. Rapiers are totally different, and aren't very cool because they're needle-like poking weapons (cutting is way cooler than poking) associated with silly stances. The katana is associated with minimalist styles, which are inherently cooler.

Two western swords stand out ad being really cool: the Guts-like fuckhuge greatsword and Excalibur. The former is an exaggerated fantasy weapon which you can't replicate in real life, and which is obviously impractical to carry around on a regular basis unless you get attacked by giant monsters every day. Excalibur is the western equivalent of a katana: another simple, versatile sword that does it all and represents a category used widely by stereotypical knights. If anyone has any doubts as to whether an Excalibur-type sword is super cool, simply refer to how popular female King Arthur is in Japan.

Ergo Katana is superior to western weapons. I admit the quality if steel can be worse but as a design its superior
>>
>>33928115
You fucking triggeres me and I have one in my closet at home.
Katana is not superior and most of them nowadays are even worser quality than they used to be.
>>
Katana is shit.

The fact that it never evolved is evidence that Japan was backwards shit.
>>
File: IMG_2642.png (48KB, 924x560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2642.png
48KB, 924x560px
>>33928115
Made me comment/10
>>
>>33928149
This

Europeans knew how to make different weapons for different tasks. Japanese just made longer and shorter versions of the same basic blade using inferior steel and smithing techniques.
>>
>>33928149
>>33928172
>Its europans were better at weapons trope

Japanese beat mongol ass while you cucks got conquered. Really makes me womder who actually was better in medieval warfare
>>
>>33928115
But the katana wasn't used on the battlefield at all. It was the cut-down civilian version of a soldier's tachi.
>>
File: 500px-Patton_Sword[1].png (51KB, 500x196px) Image search: [Google]
500px-Patton_Sword[1].png
51KB, 500x196px
>>33928115
>Ergo Katana is superior to western weapons.
Katana isn't even superior to western swords.
>>
>>33928297
Excuse me sir, but dont Japaneese live on a FUCKING INLAND !??!?!
>>
>>33928405
Island. Fuckin drunk typing bad ideas.
>>
>>33928115
>all in one weapon
can't stab
can't slice through metal or cured leather armor
ineffective for parrying
swords are supposed to be cool they are supposed to be effective weapons. katana's were outclassed by yuris and used more for ceremony than fighting compared to any other japanese weapon including farming tools
>>
>>33928115
This is I assume bait?

Or you are a fedora who knows nothing about swords, or swordsmanship.
>>
>>33929257
I wonder if there are people who think like in OP's post unironically. Has anyone here in /k/ ever met one?
>>
>>33928297
>Japanese beat mongol ass while you cucks got conquered.
Japan was saved by a storm. Eastern Europe defeated several mongol invasions until they gave up (granted, that was for logistical reasons, but still).

Also, weapon design is just about the least important facet of warfare, but you'd already know that if you weren't terminally retarded.
>>
>>33928341
>A glorified spike that was never drawn in anger
>>
even if the katana blade shape possibly had better applications in some situations than western swords no one would ever even take the time to honestly consider it, let alone admit it to you. Just give up.

For example, I think katanas are the easiest full length sword shape to draw quickly and are obviously easier to draw than straight swords, but does that really apply to anything your average weapons enthusiast would think about?. Inb4 someone calls me a weaboo longswords blow nip swords out of the fucking water.
>>
>>33929318
Yea, my little bro. He said a katana could cut a broadsword in half. He also thinks plate mail would get shredded by it. He probably thinks there's some legitimate majik behind making a katana or something, because the physics of the sword is lost to him.
>>
>>33928445
>can't stab
what makes you think so? the katana can and is plenty used to stab.
>>
>>33928115
it's heavy, it's short, it's handle curves the wrong way, it bends and stays bent instead of flexes

it's a inbred weapon used by island midget for fighting other island midgets when they're not doing proper war
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.