[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/ I was thinking about buying a rifle soon but I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_6953.jpg (20KB, 550x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6953.jpg
20KB, 550x240px
Hey /k/ I was thinking about buying a rifle soon but I don't know what rifles are good and which to just walk way from do you guys have any recommendations for a noob
>>
>>33926771
Do you have previous experience in firearms ?
What's your budget, and what do you want to do famalam ?
>>
Give us a budget, experience level, etc.
>>
>>33926771
Knowing what action you are after and the application for the rifle really helps too.
>>
>>33926795
I was firing something akin to a ww2 rifle for half a year and my budget varies so I can't give any solid number but I was thinking 3-5 hundred dollars is good for a first rifle?
>>
>>33926811
Not OP but

>Give us a budget
Something reasonable, willing to pay for quality

>experience level
I've shot a .357 Magnum, m4 carbine, a Remington 870 express, a 9mm and a glock 40 at various times throughout my life. Not to say that im a gun expert or anything. I've just shot them whenever my father took me to the range.

>etc
Home defense and hobby shooting
>>
>>33926826
>ww2 rifle

Do you remember what action it was and maybe what country it was from?
>>
>>33926854
It was a bolt action. I live in Denmark but I don't know where specifically it was manufactured
>>
>>33926826

Perhaps an SKS?
>>
>>33926852
Shotguns are good for home defense, but so are handguns, so either of the 2, or both would be your best bet there. Perhaps you could get some form of 9mm for home defense and hobby shooting at a range.

However if your hobbies involved hunting you are in a different world all together. What hobbies are we talking here?
>>
>>33926872
The thing is the gun law in Denmark is weird at my age I can only get a rifle and not a pistol I don't think shotguns really are legal here either. Also I plan to go to ranges with this rifle
>>
>>33926870
Sorry I forgot to say it was a single shot so maybe it's more like ww1
>>
It looked a lot like this
>>
>>33926872
>However if your hobbies involved hunting you are in a different world all together. What hobbies are we talking here?

Eventually I would like to hunt, yes. In 5 years time Im looking to move to Montana or Kansas since California is a liberal shithole with high taxes.
>>
>>33926868
Apparently Denmark had a lease for the Springfield and another rifle, so it could possibly have been a Sprinfield. If it was it would have booted you pretty badly.

>>33926879
Well then I would look at any manufacturer that carries .223 or whatever the most common calibre in your country is.

>>33926882
If that is the case it was probably either a Springfield, Swedish Mauser, Lee enfield, or maybe an 8mm Mauser.

>>33926891
Sporterised maybe?
>>
>>33926868
Since you're a fellow Europeon I'll advise you to take a bolt action rifle ans stick ot it. We never know when the EU will pressure our governments to take the "scary semi autos".

Mosin Nagants and military surplus rifles. SKS if you really want a semi. They're a bit heavy and kick a bit, but you'll get used to it. Watch for wear etc. Poorfag tier since EU prices are not the same as US prices.

If you're looking for higher quality bolt action rifles, I would look for a nice cz in 308, see if you can get them second hand if that's legal in your cunt.
>>
>>33926894
Hunting what may I ask? I guess for all general hunting you could not really go past .223 or .243, unless we are talking hunting ducks or something else where they are a bit overkill. if you got something with not too long a barrel then it could qualify for home defense too.
>>
>>33926905
Thanks for the information. I was thinking of maybe importing a gun from Switzerland or maybe even moving there so
>>
File: IMG_1637.jpg (1MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1637.jpg
1MB, 3024x3024px
>>33926894
>Montana or Kansas
Montananon here. Took pic related just two days ago, can guarantee that Kansas doesn't have this.
>>
>>33926907
For hunting in the US I'd go for .308 or 30-06 for anything from a coyote up to an elk. Anything smaller is not worth shooting unless you want it to explode. One gun could do most any hunt, and those rounds are easy to find.
>>
>>33926974
This is why wife and me chose Montana. What city is that? We've been thinking of Missoula or Billings but then again we don't know much about Montana.
>>33926907
If I pick up hunting, I'd like to shoot something bigger than a poodle.

Also, can you post links/pictures of the guns you guys are talking about? Im not versed in the numbers and acronyms for all the guns.
>>
>>33927010
>>33927221
You do not determine your game by the size of your weapon but your skill in shooting. .223 and .243 are that only things you need in Australia for everything from bunnies to Buffalos if you have the skill. That being said I suppose those rounds may not be the most abundant to other people.
>>
>>33927221
I think you might be looking for something like a .243. If you have not shot that much before and you go straight to a .308 or bigger you will have trouble with flinching most likely. I dare say you get a .22 and practice profusely before continuing, but after that it is up to you.

If you are after a quality weapon that you can keep forever I would go for a new or well looked after SAKO of some description. http://www.sako.fi/ There site has info on all their old rifles as well as their current lineups.

If you want something just a tiny bit cheaper you could go for a Remington Model 700 or Winchester (I don't know Winchester very well).

Below that you have generic brands mostly, but keep in mind that most rifles if they are above $500 will probably shoot fine for almost anything so long as they are in good condition.

Any more questions?
>>
>>33926974
Hate college here in Philadelphia, already started applying to University of Montana. How liberal is Missoula really?
>>
>>33927383

Unfortunately the only sako distributor in the USA is on the opposite side of the country and they don't even post the trg 42 on their site
>>
>>33927516
Are you serious? Like one of the best manufacturers and only one distributor?
>>
Im a bit new to this board but Im wondering why there isnt a sticky with a guide that teaches newcomers how to buy guns, which ones to avoid, and how to learn about guns etc. Kind of like the sticky on /fit/ that teaches about diet and exercise.
>>
>>33927541
Yup, and that distributor seems to not give a shit either. Check for yourself
>>
>>33927551
Well the issue with that kind of thing is that it would have to be country specific, which would take forever to compile completely for all countries. You should be able to find out about laws and how to buy a firearm online.

Ones to avoid are ones that have been neglected, or ones with outdated calibres that are impossible to source or just plain useless (Carcano is one example off the top of my head). Learning about guns is curiousity: If you have a question then ask it to whoever might help, or look for the answer yourself. Friends and family who can pass their knowledge on would help.

>>33927557
That is bull honestly.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.