[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many rounds on .50 BFG would you need to defeat a first rate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

How many rounds on .50 BFG would you need to defeat a first rate ship o' the line?
>>
About as much as it would take to defeat a modern destroyer.
>>
A single belt of mk211 ammo should do it.
>>
>>33926173
I'd wager you'd kill the crew faster than sink the ship.
>>
>>33926173
As many as it takes to pick off the officers.
Easy.
>>
>>33926173
Just take any mid to large bore rifle and shoot under the waterline of the ship.

It will sink in time due to the hole you put in it.
>>
>>33926758
Modern bullets disentigrate within the first 1-3 feet of water.
>>
>>33926758

>old.boats didn't have a way of preventing leaks

Nigga these things were out of port for months on end at times. A small leak isn't going to do anything.
>>
I really hope the new Pirates movie doesn't suck ass.
>>
You would have to use an AP incendiary round to the powder store. Also I don't think cast iron will hold up to FMJ very well and you could pick the cannons off one by one.

BTW, It would be so much fun to take modern fire arms back to fight the red coats.
>>
>>33926828
Every series that gets stretched out longer than it should, only to bring in money, is terrible.
>>
Maybe if you know where the magazine is?
>>
Couple hundred rounds
>>
File: Canonballs impacts.jpg (25KB, 663x441px) Image search: [Google]
Canonballs impacts.jpg
25KB, 663x441px
I'd say bring 10 rounds per enemy crew and it should be enough.
But >>33926830 really has the best idea.

On a side note related to this topic : I have stumbled upon a video of a live fire test in Denmark of cannonballs against a ship side replica. That is the first time I see the damage round shot does to a ship and I'm surprised how clean the impact holes look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvSDRCMuasc
>>
>>33926173
A couple dozen.

Take a good, accurate .50BMG precision rifle (something like a Robar) and start blowing apart the officers on deck.

Alternatively, shoot the rudder or wheel off, something like the 750gr A-Max would mush up those big chunks of oak bad enough they'd be unusable after a very small number of hits.
>>
>>33926173
They'd sail away or shoot back before you could do much.

They can deal with leaks, broken parts, and dead officers. Would take you way too long.
>>
>defeat

just demast her or kill enough of the officers, and the ship would surrender.

if you had a CROWS turret that was stabilized for the movement of your ship and the target ship. then you could accomplish either in a few dozen rounds.
>>
>>33926830
> Oy captun, one of the cannons just esploded
> Whip the cannoneer in charge Manderlay
BOOM
> OY CAPTIN , ANOTHER GUN SPLODED SER
> Ship on the horizon!
Captain grabs telescope from coat
> Bloody hell mates, it's like to be the Spanish can't believe the coming in a time like this with cannons exploding and whatnot
> There in for the Dickens I say-
No flag, small (metallic?) Boat with no sail
About ten men in all black with telescopes on thier black muskets
> Catholic heretical magic I say!
> Fire Full broadside!
> Aren't dey oot of range cap?
> No matter, show them the might of the Kings Navy! Prepare Marines for boarding, after the first broadside turn at them lads! We will make thier mothe-
SPLAT
> OH MARY MOTHER OF GOD, THE CAPTON EXPLODED
>>
>>33926772
Exactly

>What are hull pumps
>>
>>33926828
Wishful thinking
>>
File: 51d34ab9dfbd4.image.jpg (26KB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
51d34ab9dfbd4.image.jpg
26KB, 350x197px
>>33926173
As many as are needed to fell the masts.
>>
>>33928889
fuckin cool video, very nice find

my first thought was a 50 would take for damn ever compared to a cannon since it's so much smaller in diameter. a big cannon ball punching holes like in that video would let in a lot more water if it was near the waterline to sink it much faster.
>>
I never said the ship needs to be sunk. Just defeated, preferably taken as a prize.
>>
>>33926173

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G95g0vzTAKI

Probably cant before the ship either fucks off, blows you up or boards you
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.