[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 43

File: Uncle Shlomo.jpg (55KB, 349x483px) Image search: [Google]
Uncle Shlomo.jpg
55KB, 349x483px
Our Greatest Ally edition, part 2

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

>Should I go nuke???
No.

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253
>>
>>33921416
>/meg/ - /pol/ shits up the OP pic edition
ftfy

Your 'subtle' psychological warfare shit is getting annoying.
>>
File: 1426151079335.png (631KB, 700x605px) Image search: [Google]
1426151079335.png
631KB, 700x605px
Are you auto DQ'd from certain MOS/AFSC if you only have a GED? My AF recruiter said I don't have any problems with just GED but I feel he might just being saying that so I get picked for open field.
>>
>>33921532
Nope. Only means you have to get a certain score on your asvab but other than that you're fine.
>>
>>33921548
I need to study for it some more, how good is the ASVAB for dummies book? Its really just math I need a little refresher with..
>>
File: 1483071861267.jpg (94KB, 645x644px) Image search: [Google]
1483071861267.jpg
94KB, 645x644px
Does having college credits in electrical and mechanical engineering lend me any advantages in finding a cozy POG MOS (airforce)?

Also, is being too skinny an issue?
>>
>>33921465
I like it because it'd inb4 the usual shitposts.

G.I.s have a twisted sense of humor beyond mere 4chin trolls so no problem. Anyone who sincerely believes any political ideology is a dumbass worthy of tweaking. Triggery spergtards do NOT belong in the military (except as human sandbags) because they annoy everyone around them.
>>
>>33921586
I personally used the Kaplan strategies, practice and review book for my ASVAB a few months ago and it had a lot of examples and sample tests, I think it was pretty helpful. I got a 95 on my test compared to 85 on my EST. I bought it because it was cheap and math was the main thing i needed to brush up on and it was good for that imo.

>>33921600
College credits won't help you pick an MOS but it'll mean you can go in on a higher pay grade. If you have an associates degree you'll start as an E3 for example.

And yeah, there's a minimum weight requirement which depends on your height and age. So if you're too skinny you can't join until you put on some weight. There's a chart you can look up for that stuff.
>>
>>33921600
Can't hurt. I recommend an electronics-related field because you'll pick it up quickly. I'm biased towards aircraft maintenance since I was a happy avionics troop.

Work on valuable equipment and you'll usually have a comfy life. You don't want to be an Admin fuck unless you are fluent in ebonics.
>>
Any 68W's here? How bad/good is it?
>>
>>33921423
I chose national guard over active because I got to choose what unit I got into, plus I could become an officer while getting my BA. So even if I don't branch infantry as an officer, the background will give me a boost in whatever I branch. Unit choice was kinda big, because I got to go into a dismounted recon unit, with slots for ranger, sniper, pathfinder, mountain, SERE, air assault (which I go to this summer) and a plethora of other schools offered by the army. So if there are slots available, definitely go to one of those units if you can. Also, I enter active duty as an O-1, which makes breddy gud bank, and it only gets better. Also, if I decide that only I want 6 years then go guard again, there's plenty of slots available for officers, as well as good leadership/administration credentials from being an officer.
>>
File: 13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg (822KB, 1330x800px) Image search: [Google]
13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg
822KB, 1330x800px
If you aint infantry, you aint shit.
>>
>>33921708
Good to know. Working with tech all day seems like a good life.

>>33921684
http://www.military.com/military-fitness/air-force-fitness-requirements/air-force-height-and-weight-charts

I checked this chart and it seems like their minimum weights are skeleton-tier, so that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks
>>
>>33921791
this, infantry is goat
>>
>>33921791
light infantry>mechanized

Mechanized "infantry" use steel as protection, but light infantrymen are made of steel
>>
File: IMG_7111.jpg (647KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7111.jpg
647KB, 1280x960px
Question;
>wanted to join memereens
>/k/ as well as my other readings talk me into army
>going to talk to an army recruiter soon
>want 11x on a NCS 2 year active duty contract

What should i expect in basic? is it like muhreen basic, but a few weeks shorter?

>pic unrelated. just thought it was cool.
>>
>>33921832
it'll be 14 weeks of fuck fuck games and push ups desu. If you pay attention to detail, meet your time hacks, and come to basic being able to get a 240 on your PT test, you'll do fine. Just don't stand out. I did, and had to carry an M240B during our rucks. Which reminds me, do a bit of hiking to strengthen your legs.
>>
>>33921832
Just do a 3 year contract like a normal human being, get your GI bill and all that shit.
>>
>>33921868
>just dont stand out
what do you mean by this?

>>33921870
i might do the 3 year thing. im not decided yet.
>>
>>33921893
I stood out because I was the shortest guy there and also a bit chunky. I also have a stutter, which didn't make it any better. But I was thin AF by the end of it, and hittin 280's on my pt tests
>>
>>33921893
3 years might sound like a long time if you're fresh out of high school but it's really not. And most recruiters hate doing the extra work to get you the 2 year contract rather than a normal 3 year contract so it'll be easier to get in on a regular contract.
>>
>>33921913
>I stood out because I was the shortest guy there and also a bit chunky

im fucked. im 6'3, 24 in a couple days, and a little over weight. ive been working on losing it, and it seems to be working. Im still somewhat tall and older than most other people id assume.

>>33921922
i might end up just doing that then. im turning 24 in a couple of days, but im sick of the way things are going here on my end. looking to escape and better myself at the same time. who knows. maybe ill even stay longer.
>>
>>33921931
I was 19 when I went, and everyone else there either 18-19, with a few exceptions. Only 2 guys from our original 56 were over 23. But then we got the 18x's and they were all at least 24, with the oldest being 30.
>>
File: images(11).jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images(11).jpg
8KB, 225x225px
I'm looking to go AF SERE
I've read that I only need a secret clearance to join, but TS to retain. Is that true? I'd hate to be barred from reenlistment.

If GT is here, can you recommend a fitness program? And recommend some authorized boots to use?
>>
>>33921931
You'll be alright, Anon. Just remember don't take anything your DS says personally when he gets in your face and starts yelling insults. His job is to make sure you can take some abuse, as well as get you in shape. You can make it if you try. Just don't quit. They'd rather see you struggle and finish, than just wash out.
>>
File: 1485877383092.jpg (29KB, 480x411px) Image search: [Google]
1485877383092.jpg
29KB, 480x411px
Can i join reserves while attending to ROTC? I am guessing that would be the best option if i want to become an officer.

Also, seems like i would need a waiver by the PMS since i would get my commission between my 31-32 years old... Would that be difficult to get?
>>
>>33922722

>Can I be a cadet and enlisted at the same time
>>
>>33922722
>>33922741

Yes, it's called SMP.
>>
Hello, was directed here from a career thread on /Pol/

23 yo NEET with no real job experience in the UK. Is the military the only thing left for me?

I used to be pretty active and fit but have slowed down recently. What kind of fitness tests are required?

Anything I shouldn't mention at an interview? I think mental health issues get you blacklisted.

What is it like? I have a friend who joined at 18, all he seems to do is split his time between the fort and home and has trained overseas twice in Kenya and Cyprus. He has never seen active duty.

What trades are available? Assuming I survive I don't want to leave and be back at square 1 with no skills?

Sorry for the long post but I'm genuinely thinking about joining
>>
I'm dep for BUDS, what does /k/ advise to prepare? I'm corresponding with guys that work at st5 and get sparse advice. I also pt daily with other guys with some range work weekly.
>>
So, am I a tool for wearing my tags under my civilian t shirt? I don't show them off or anything
>>
>>33923663
yes, but if we don't know we can't call you out on it
>>
Anyone have any advice for my situation
>just graduated college
>not particularly in great shape but not in horrible shape either
>considering becoming an officer in either the USMC or the Air Force
>want to get into aviation
which is the better path? any advice for someone looking to go the officer route?
>>
I live in Spain rn and have no feasible way of becoming a us resident for a long ass time, should i join the ffl?
>>
>>33924705
Air Force, can't give advice on becoming an officer because I'm not one.
>>
>>33921818
This.

Used to be in a light unit, PCSed into mech. Holy fuck, totally different worlds. These cocksuckers bring pillows and shit to the field.

Light life for life.
>>
>>33921931
Unless you're potato tier you won't stick out. There /will/ be worse people than you.

I was horribly out of shape, having just recovered from a broken arm when I went through boot. Could barely get the forty two ups needed. Thought I was gonna be toast.

Nope, we had a dude who could literally do two pushups. We had a dude so dumb we all seriously considered Gomer Pyleing him.

Guess what, they both made it through.

You'll be fine.
>>
>>33925311
this. im preparing for basic right now.(have not signed contract yet, but i rather be prepared than sorry)
was fat as fuck.
started doing exercise between sessions of gaming.
day1: 30mins of playing videya = pushups untill you cant do more (first 2 days it was one/two pushups) but i decided to not be a quiter.
by one month i was doing around 50 pushups no stop in around one minute, and lost around 10 pounds (also did some diet, less food in general, and a protein shake at the end before going to sleep)
tning is dont quit, if ou do 250 pushups in toat in one day (evfen tho you did 5 fifty pushup sessions, next week you wil be able to double that number just because of how your body works)
and dont get me wrong, you wont want to quit because you are tired, you will want to quit because "i see no resuts, its been one week and i can only do 7 pushups" it does not matter, keep doing it, before you realize you can power thru 50 like its nothing.

all of this is called the power of testosterone. borught to you by your testicles.
>>
>>33922741
This is why retards who don't know what the fuck they are talking about because they're high school kids who haven't done anything but jerk themselves off shouldn't reply to posts in this thread like they know something.

Like this anon said:
>>33922781

SMP exists. You drill and do college+ROTC simultaneously. When you go to drill you wear your ROTC rank and you shit around with the officers.
>>
File: 1494463693801.jpg (76KB, 960x693px) Image search: [Google]
1494463693801.jpg
76KB, 960x693px
I want to enlist as 19D in the army

Should I start practicing my dick sucking now?
>>
>>33925205
why do you say air force? everyone says i should go air force due to doing really well in college and having an affinity for golf, however i partially want to challenge myself. is that all a meme?
>>
>>33924762
Bump
>>
How does washing out/being reclassed work? You go in to boot with an idea to say, become a SEAL or whatever, you inevitably find out you're mentally weak so you can't hack it; do they then assign you a job they want or do you get some say in that?
>>
Im a leaf looking to join the marines. How do i do this? What is the best way to get a green card?
>>
>>33924762
Just get married to me senpai
>>
>>33926207
It's not a meme
>>
>>33924705
>aviation
Do you want to fix planes or do you want to fly them? Because if you want to fly them you should go either the air force or navy. Why on earth would you want to go aviation in the marines when both the USAF and USN exists?
>>
Can I apply for the British army and RAF at the same time and chose whichever one I want after?
>>
>>33926201

you want to be the dude stuck doing infantry shit is what you're telling me
>>
>>33928369
I don't believe so. Each branch has access to your career and applications through a central MoD thing, so they'll contact you in regard to it and ask what you are doing.
>>
>>33928809
Thanks for letting me know!
>>
Any UK Royal Signals here? I'm thinking of going for a Graduate Commission (Computer Science) and i'm trying to get a feel for what the life is like
>>
>>33928943
Look at Int Corps instead. You'll probably end up being exposed to that anyway and decide you want to transfer, which is what a lot of people do.

Int Corps is very different to the rest of the Army and does its own thing, but the chances of getting a shit posting are minimal and the opportunities are massive. Sigs is too big.
>>
File: 1489955782347.gif (124KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
1489955782347.gif
124KB, 180x180px
Does chicks really like guys in uniform or is it just a meme?
>>
>>33928062
It likely depends on the circumstances. When I was going through AIT in mid 2007 there was a group of three guys who were just complete pieces of shit and failed the school house for different reasons. One was going through the process of being chaptered out but didn't finish before our class was over, one wanted to go to infantry and got reclassed, the third was Natty Guard and was being reclassed as a lab tech (68K).
>>
File: IMG_0546.jpg (63KB, 300x193px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0546.jpg
63KB, 300x193px
/k/, do you ever get so angry your balls hurt?
>>
I've got interviews for the raf and stuff and I'm so nervous

How should I act? How can I leave a good impression?
>>
I'm interested in becoming a tanker for the muhreens but I'm 6'1", is that a problem?
>>
>>33928985
depends on the type of chick. Generally speaking though, chicks who like guys in uniform aren't the chicks you should fug.
>>
If you are a college grad, do you come in as a higher rank, even if you aren't a commissioned officer?
>>
>>33929218
Yep. An associates will get you E3, a bachelors will get you E4.
>>
>>33929218
Yes, associates come in as E-3s usually and bachelors come in as E-4s. Ask your local recruiter.
>>
Going for OCS. MEPS is tomorrow. Leaving for the hotel later today. Wish me luck, /k/.
>>
>>33929144
Remember key locations, figures and time frames. Where you'll do your training, where you could be posted, the last major commitments of the RAF, how much you'll earn, how long training takes, etc etc.

They don't want to know a history of the RAF or a presentation on why you're going to make an ideal airman, they just want to see that you're presentable, clear, calm and know what you're getting into.

Knock on the door, don't sit down until you're asked, don't make any jokes and be honest.
>>
>>33929280
They're going to look at your asspussy and fondle your testicles. Have fun.
>>
>>33929288
Thank you.

Do I need general aircraft knowledge? What are some appropriate topics to do my presentation on?
>>
File: 1463447807255.jpg (48KB, 356x626px) Image search: [Google]
1463447807255.jpg
48KB, 356x626px
>>33929298
I'm asian so there's not much to fondle :/
>mfw a grower and not a shower
>>
>>33929770
If you showed up with a massive erection you'd probably get turned away for being a fucking weirdo. They just want to check that both of your testicles are in place and that your foreskin isn't fucked up.
>>
>>33929421
A knowledge of the aircraft in service would help, yes. You'll probably be given a topic.
>>
>>33922912
Bump.

Gonna speak to a recruiter on the British Army website tomorrow. Would like your guys input though
>>
>>33930234
Your medical records will be accessed early on, so it's not a case of withholding information. You'll provide the details of your GP, who will send your full medical history to the Army. Not just your history with them, but every interaction you have had with the medical system. Go through the process anyway and see, only one way to find out.

Fitness is trade dependent. Get fit, though. Running is all you need to worry about if you're a 23 year old man. Make sure you can easily beat the run time for the job you are interested in, but train with longer runs.
>>
All the responses to how to become a Green Beret, assuming you pass, are very confusing. What should I do with the belief that I wont wash out in order to get there?
What order of enlistment should I do, how do I do it, and what should i avoid?
18x seems like a mistake based on a couple anons but what is the chance assuming I pass SFAS that I will earn the beret, and based on what?
>>
>>33930420

The best thing to do is to get into shape and make sure that you are able to pass before you even go to MEPs and sign. Most people cannot be assed to do that, hence the chaff that must be ground from the wheat.
>>
File: 1494131361155.jpg (109KB, 641x694px) Image search: [Google]
1494131361155.jpg
109KB, 641x694px
>>33929789
I won't have to worry about having a boner at MEPS. I'm only attracted to soft anime girls.
>>
>>33930462
That's what I was saying, I'm a regular marathon runner and I've been training for this for approximately six years. I was wondering how to TECHNICALLY get in.
Thanks though
>>
>>33930505
Submit a packet for SFAS once you gain some stripes or go 18x. It's usually better to a submit a packet later on then go straight 18x, since if you washout you'll go back to your chosen MOS. If you washout with an 18x contract you'll be reclassed to infantry. If you think you can handle going straight 18x by all means go for it.
>>
>>33930420
Everyone talks about SFAS like its the only thing that matters and fail to realize a lot of people don't pass the Q course afterward. The language training and small unit tactics portion have a lot of failures.
>>
>>33929789
>get massive erection
>uh, why do you have an erection?
>do you not?
>>
>>33929178
Truer words have never been spoken. Your either going to have Jody at your house, or you will become the Jody doing this.
>>
>>33929914
Okay, thanks!
>>
Shipping in two months to be an HM in the navy. Does anyone have any advice on how to go greenside?
>>
>>33930632
>Jody
Da fuq is this?
>>
>>33929178

Now now, you can fug them, just wrap it up and don't do more than just fug them.
>>
File: 1494451649841.jpg (117KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494451649841.jpg
117KB, 1280x720px
>finally done with schooling
>getting ready to check into my boat

Guess it's time for me to find out how fun being on a submarine really is.
>>
>>33931393
What rate mate?
>>
>>33931665
ETV
>>
>>33921791
this, FUCK pogs
>>
Is 68W a grunt or a POG?
>>
>>33932007
technically POG but treated like a grunt
>>
>>33932007
If you're a line medic and your fellow lads like you you'll be an honorary grunt aka Doc.
>>
>>33932039
>>33932007
every medic is doc when you deploy. aid station or otherwise. but you're always going to be a pog, just strive to be super pog.
>>
>Guize, I'm a POG, b-b-but I'm the ok kind of POG. Please accept me!

Why are people so desperate for validation from infantry? Yeah, dude, you chose not to be in an MOS with the lowest possible ASVAB standards, don't apologize about it.
>>
>>33932144
88m actually has the lowest
>>
>>33932144

Fucking this
>>
Why do so many people have the opinion that the Army is the Marine Corps-lite?
>>
>>33932175
The Marine Corps has very good marketing, as well as an excellent indoctrination program to make every one of their fresh boots truly believe their own PR.
>>
>>33932144
Don't know why anyone would want approval from the meatheads desu.
>>
>>33932144
>dubs confirms
honestly, the infantry dudes that gave a bigger shit about grunt status while i was in were the shitbags and the mortars. i love my tube strokers, but damn most of the time they're sitting around with hq not doing shit with the rest of the pogs.
>>
>>33932190
>People actually believe this
Holy shit, you're clueless, but if that helps you sleep at night then be my guest. Just completely ignore the fact that Marine BCT is on-par with most Special Forces training. Just completely ignore the fact that Marines are some of the most elite ground troops on the planet. Just ignore the fact that the Marines are the most feared troops on the planet. If that makes you feel better about muh army and muh hooah, then go on ahead. Don't expect anyone else to believe your bullshit though.
>>
>>33932241
Oprah!
>>
Im shipping off to basic training in less than three months. How do I get over being pee shy
My dick is dysfunctional
>>
>>33930234
You can't hide your medical history from the army, It's far harder to sign on in the UK than it is for say the US. If you have any mental health issues you will be blacklisted so make sure you sort that shit out before you do anything.

Most common issue's are usually things like ADHD, Asperger's and anything that requires you to take med's. If you are on med's congrat's your fucked because you need to stay off them for 3 years before you join. If you have ADHD or Asperger's you are less fucked because you can get both of them taken of your medical record (takes about six months). If you have ever said you were depressed then you need to go see the person who diagnosed you and get a note so they know you won't fucking off yourself with a service rifle. Becoming a regular right now is difficult because they want reservists not regular's so you don't get the kind of leniency on certain issues that US army recruiters might have.
>>
>>33930234
Oh and for gods sake don't join the para's or the royal marines unless you want to join the SAS or SBS, the training is much much more difficult for little benefit over a regular army unit.
>>
>>33932144
I always find it really weird. Being in the Navy, there's no infantry culture. Grunts that are super proud of being grunts are like AOs that are super proud of the fact they carry heavy objects around all day.
>>
>>33932157
92F
>>
>>33921771
Don't forget that once you're an O1 you'll be at the higher pay grade due to time in service
>>
>>33928068
You can get a green card by joining if I'm not mistaken, had a few people get citizenship while I was at basic.
>>
File: sc.jpg (403KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sc.jpg
403KB, 1200x1200px
>born too early to enlist in the US Space Force
>>
>>33933760

USAF. They have a space operations AFSC.
>>
Are there any chances to join the US military for a non US citizen?
I'm Italian, and wanted to join but our army is more like a solution for unemployed people than a fighting force and if I'd join i'll probably never se a battlefield but just barracks life or in the better case stay rotting in a FOB for some months. A friend of mine who lived in America for some months told me he talked to some recruiters who told him that there isn't a chance unless winning the green card lottery or marrying. I once saw a usmc foreign unit that seemed something similar to the french foreign legion but don't know how it works
>>
>>33933986
if youre a permanent resident you can, but youll be limited as far as job options go
>>
>>33929156

max height for 19k m1 abrams crewmember for the army is 6 foot 1 if I recall. I imagine muhreens are the same
>>
>>33932383
Go piss in public places
Simple as that.

And even if you don't
You'll learn to piss or pee in your fucking BDUs in basic
>>
Let's say someone is an officer in branch X, serves their commitment, and is then honorably discharged. Assuming they are under max age, is there anything stopping them from attempting to commission in a different branch?
>>
>Be at future soldier PT today
>Some Hispanic sperg does horribly at all of our workouts
>Turns out he's joining as a cook
>He wanted to go cav scout or infantry but being a cook was basically the only thing they offered him and he took it

I thought these people only existed in stories, never expected people could suck so hard. What the fuck.
>>
>>33928788
I want to do infantry shit but not actually be in the infantry cause the folks are gonna be pissed if I go 11b. Being a cav scout sounds better to my family (even if it's the same shit, only gayer) than being a grunt.
>>
>>33935952

just lie and tell them that the Army/US Government forced you to do 11B because that was the needs of the Army or whatever bullshit they want to hear. Its not like they could ever find out.
>>
>>33936269
The problem is that I'm enlisting right out of high school so I still live with them. I normally wouldn't give a shit but my dad is pretty involved in the process and has gone to talk to the recruiter several times already
>>
File: 1483541919357.jpg (123KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1483541919357.jpg
123KB, 800x800px
How the fuck do you motivate yourself to RUN RUN RUN
>>
File: running.jpg (215KB, 780x1938px) Image search: [Google]
running.jpg
215KB, 780x1938px
>>33937015
can't help you unless you really want it
>>
>>33937015
Have a friend who goes running, the only reason I even started running was because I had a mate who shouted at me to keep going the whole fuckin time.
>>
>>33937015
Put yourself on a schedule. I prefer distance running to sprints. Running a sustainable pace at 3 or 5 miles is a good start. If you can run a sustainable 5 miles, your cardio is good enough for a short PT test. Add in a couple of days of sprint training (which I admit sucks) and you get your short distance time down.

For long distance running I recommend loading up an iPod with music. I've personally found that shitty, repeatative techno club type music is actually very good for running because it has a consistent beat that you can match your stride to.
>>
>>33936328
Nothing wrong with cav scout. A lot of them end up being assigned to an infantry unit instead of a scout unit anyways if you want infantry shit.
>>
I wonder, how many of you plan to stay in the military until retirement? And why/why not.
>>
>>33938387

Nope. I'll do it active for a bit, then reserves while in a federal job.
>>
>>33938387
signing up for 4 years since i'll start off as E3. will earn a bachelors before that finishes. going to sign up an extra 2 years just so i can get a masters and not worry about the civilian sector whilst studying.
who knows, retiring in my mid 40s could be nice
>>
>>33938546

Which branch are you joining?
>>
>>33935578
It's just future soldier PT, it's there to work them up till boot camp.
>>
>>33938597
Air Force
went to MEPS yesterday but I was a little fatty bon bon and have to go back once I lose some weight. was over by 1 lb
>>
>>33938643
>group pt in dep

get cucked faggot

youre supposed to smoke weed and be a degenerate while you still can
>>
>>33938387
>deciding to be a lifer before even going to basic
>>
>>33932505
Idiotic advice. Why write about a topic you have no experience of whatsoever?

The Parachute Regiment and Royal Marines have thousands of men who will never go anywhere near UKSF. It is nothing to do with it.
>>
>>33938719
Oh okay.
>>
>>33938719
Well I had to do the OPAT. Only reason I was there. Then I went home gorging on tacos and drinking beer since I'll be shipping on Monday.
>>
Is it only during training you're treated like shit or is it on deployment too? Seems kinda risky in a high stress environment even with the training.

Also if I were to speak to an army recruiter are they likely to sugarcoat things to entice me joining or will they be blunt?
>>
>>33939103
>Is it only during training you're treated like shit or is it on deployment too?

Why do people think military life is 24/7 boot/basic training conditions?

You guys understand that initial entry training is only a few months out of a multiyear long career, right?
>>
File: 1488957490279.jpg (64KB, 382x597px) Image search: [Google]
1488957490279.jpg
64KB, 382x597px
>>33939103
You're going to be treated like a mentally disabled toddler in basic, and treated like a child during AIT. Once you get to your first duty station people will treat you like an adult. It really depends on the recruiters, some sugarcoat things like used car salesmen whilst others are blunt. I was fortunate enough to have a recruiter that didn't bullshit me albeit he was a bit pushy. Take everything they say with a grain of salt and remember not to sign anything until you fully understand that it is what YOU want. If a job you're interested in isn't available then tell them you will come in at a later time. Don't fall for some bonus for a job that you didn't even want, they will try to entice you with bonuses. Just wait for your desired job. All recruiters will be pushy and try to pressure you since getting new recruits signed makes them look good.
>>
>>33921868
How hard is it to get a 240?
Also, is your APFT score permanent, or can you take it again to go into some Billy Badass unit if you needed 240 to get in and didn't make 240 the first time?
>>
Anyone here got to jump school? What can I expect?
>>
>>33939604
You retake the PT test at a minimum, every 6 months.

>240
>Billy badass

Nah dude, you need at least a 300 to even get looked at for a badass job. A 300 isn't even that difficult to get, but below it just isn't worth a second look.

A lot of units have incentives to do your own PT if you score a 270 or 280 on the test. I'd highly advise going for this if possible, since setting up your own PT is really the only way to get time to properly do core weight lifting (squats, deadlifts,) and build up important muscles that are neglected by the PT test.

A big problem with unit run PT is that it often hyperfocuses on gaming the test itself and focuses only on ways to up reps on the scored exercises. That an the majority of SNCOs have exactly zero understanding of weight lifting and you can not beat into their heads that a "rest day" is as important as a lift day; to these guys a rest day implies weakness and they take it as a challenge, which fucks up the muscle building cycle. Additionally unit run PT by guys like this can include moto shit like extended body armor runs which does nothing for you except blow out the cartridge in your knees and compress your spine.
>>
>>33935281
No, they may knock you down a rank so you can do a PL or DivO tour
From what I heard anyway for some branches
>>
File: Navy dependent Jackie Kennedy.jpg (75KB, 736x1086px) Image search: [Google]
Navy dependent Jackie Kennedy.jpg
75KB, 736x1086px
Who was the most self-important military dependent in the entire history of the world?
>>
I'm a cyber security guy but have my heart and mind set on being a ranger. Will I be forced into a cyber role because of my degree/certifications?
>>
>>33940381

No. Getting to cyber is more competitive than getting to RASP right now. If you don't apply for it, you won't get it.
>>
>>33938387
I'm planning on retiring.

>why
Because I have less than a year left.
>>
I applied for the RAF, and they sent me over a lot of paper work and I read through some of the job description and I'm just not %100 sure if I'll enjoy it.

I'm also so nervous. I have to sign for a 12 year contract and it feels so bad man.

Are these doubts normal?
>>
File: okch.jpg (12KB, 213x213px) Image search: [Google]
okch.jpg
12KB, 213x213px
>>33940640

>20 years in the military and still browses 4chan

I can respect that. What did you think on your time in? would yo do it again?
>>
File: 1492388923118.gif (458KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1492388923118.gif
458KB, 256x256px
>Want to go Marines
>the Army recruiter answers
>Decide what the hell and schedule an appointment with him anyways
Basically, I'm taking the PIECAT Monday, should I talk to the Marine recruiter as well?

Also, I scored 55 on the PASVAB, should I just end it now? My life that is.
>>
>>33940944
typically you'll score 10-15 points higher on the actual ASVAB. 65-70 isn't a bad score, it'll get you into most jobs.
>>
Just how hard is to become a Mustang?
>>
>>33940944
Army will have more decent living conditions than marines so you might want to stick to army anyways.
>>
11B, need a new pair of eye pro with clear and dark lenses, decided to go full gear queer with it and get Oakleys, what's the best in regs pair to get?
>>
>>33941138
Of the stuff actually on the APEL, the Oakley Racing Jackets are the best. I personally wore Oakley Gascans forever, but you can't wear them in a place stuck up on regs.
>>
>>33940667
>12 years

holy fuck dude
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-03-01-58-00.jpg (73KB, 720x612px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-03-01-58-00.jpg
73KB, 720x612px
>>33922071
Self bumping my own question
>>
>>33940667
It's not 12 years. Read it properly. What the 12 years refers to is something entirely different, it's basically the amount of time the RAF guarantee you if you meet all requirements. Anything after that is dependent on rank, trade and a whole host of other things.

You can quite easily sign off at the four year point.
>>
>>33941288
12 years if full service, but it also says I can leave after 8, and put in an application to leave before 8 with no right or guarantee to leave.
I also have the chance to leave during the first 6 months.

I've got all the documents and it says nothing about leaving after 4 years.
>>
>>33941338
>and put in an application to leave before 8 with no right or guarantee to leave.
This is legal fuckery, which basically means that if there's WW3 you can't just go "signing off now, see you later on."

PVR, or pre-voluntary release, is not only possible but common. 4 years, so essentially your training, posting then a tour before PVR is not uncommon.
>>
>>33941124

Usually a tiny bit harder than becoming an officer as a civilian, only because you could break yourself during your enlistment and become ineligible.
>>
>>33941440
Will it look back if I ask about PVR at my meetings / interviews?
>>
how hard is it to go through BUD/S, RASP, or SFAS? What do people do to prepare themselves for something like that? How would you even know if you could handle it?

Just how crazy do you have to be to try?
>>
>All 35Ms at DLI going to be considered careerists in a week or so
>35Ps will continue to be treated like kindergarteners

Fucking shoot me.
>>
>>33940728
>I can respect that. What did you think on your time in?
The early years sucked.

>would yo do it again?
I would definitely do it again if I could start with a different job.
>>
Anyone know if it's alright to bring insoles if you have flat feet? I don't wanna fuck up my knees
>>
What are the chances of joining the infantry and never going on tour for the 4 years? 0?
>>
File: explodingbkub.gif (151KB, 278x225px) Image search: [Google]
explodingbkub.gif
151KB, 278x225px
How do I make friends in basic? Armyfag if that helps.
>>
>>33942448
Its basic, who gives a shit. Its literally a blip of time.
>>
>>33942448
Just bee yourself
>>
>>33942448
>Volunteer for the last shift field food detail, which sucks because you have to bring all the garbage back and throw it away on a truck
>On your detail steal a bunch of left over snacks and hide them inside your body armor
>Gib snacks to your buds when you get back
>>
>>33942402
Why the fuck would you want to join the infantry if you don't want to be deployed?
>>
god i hope i don't get a shitty fucking mos
>>
>>33942566

So don't pick a shitty one.
>>
Are individual augmentee assignments still a thing? i.e. Navy dudes that are normally chair riders going out and doing boots on the ground stuff

Guessing no since there's been the huge drawdown in the last few years but just wanted to check
>>
>>33942623
what are some guaranteed-to-be-shit jobs?

things like excessively difficult or long-lasting work, or extremely technical/complex work

I'd like something somewhere in between
>>
>>33942670
usmc btw
>>
File: bee_hero.jpg (151KB, 1200x742px) Image search: [Google]
bee_hero.jpg
151KB, 1200x742px
>>33942469
What about active duty then?

I'm a sapper by the way.
>>
>>33942780
Why are you making shit up? Sapper isn't something you can guarantee pre-basic
>>
File: 1491975915831.jpg (87KB, 746x717px) Image search: [Google]
1491975915831.jpg
87KB, 746x717px
>>33941442

And is age an issue? Because my recruiter says it isnt but google says otherwise...

The thing is, i can get my bachelor's at 31, but i would also like to serve as enlisted first, i think it that will make me a better leader and it just feels right to work from te bottom... The issue here is, enlisting would make me take more time to graduate and as far as i have seen you absolutly need a bachelor's to become an officer.

What do? I want to have a full military career, and as an officer would certanly be ideal.
>>
File: drake.jpg (18KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
drake.jpg
18KB, 256x256px
>>33943002
>but i would also like to serve as enlisted first, i think it that will make me a better leader and it just feels right to work from te bottom

Stop fucking listening to bullshit from recruiters

Enlisted and officer are two completely different jobs and you have to decide what you want to do. I'd personally say you're retarded if you have the opportunity to become and officer and forego it
>>
How do you join the IDF as a foreign goy (willing to convert) ?
>>
>>33943392
Doesn't work that way. You have to have at least a grandparent who was Jewish to qualify for the Mahal and even then that's not going to be a combat role. Besides you will never learn Hebrew fluently enough without living in Israel to qualify. Grow the fuck up you fucking faggot and stop wanting to go fight for the fucking Kikes you fucking retarded Amerinigger cuck faggot
>>
>>33943492

>grandfather

Not even that, it HAS to be a grandmother because that is the only way for them to be sure you actually have Jewish blood.
>>
>>33943603

Also from your mother family only.
>>
File: 1486923327604.jpg (90KB, 957x621px) Image search: [Google]
1486923327604.jpg
90KB, 957x621px
Should you study for the asvab? Recruiters keep telling me I don't need to.
>>
>>33944060
>Recruiters keep telling me I don't need to.
That's because they want you to take it as soon as possible so they can meet their quota sooner and spend their time fucking bitches.
>>
>>33944060

Mine too

Study bro, postpone that shit until you feel secure
>>
What are some /meg/ approved youtubers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKxRT1v8V4I
>>
>>33943002
>wants 2 be mustang bc itd be kool

Youre a dumbass and probably wont get a bachelors in anything but underwater basket weaving
>>
>>33941687
Someone whos crazy enough to make career decisions based on an anonymous chinese cartoon image board. Just go for it scrub.
>>
>>33944060
I don't know if you need to "study" per se but I'd at least be familiar with what the test looks like before you go in
>>
>>33944280

>Having a vocation is the same as ''itd bekool lol'' now.

K
>>
>>33944501
Are you a retard? He's giving you the straight dope - wanting to go in to Mustang is fucking retarded, just go in as an officer in the first place. It's extremely difficult to Mustang and odds are you're going to waste your fucking time on a 6 yr enlistment and come out wanting to fucking end your life. For fucks sake have some fucking common sense before spouting some retarded fucking bullshit.
>>
>>33944591
Fact

Reasons to Enlist:
GI Bill
Medical and Dental (Military Medicine blows but i mean hey doc can give you motrin)
Certifications in job field
Life experience
Job security

Reasons not to Enlist:
To become an officer and get mad respekt yo
To get laid
3 hots and a cot
>>
>>33944792
I can't even imagine how much of a cunt the people who enlisted to mustang and then mustanged must be, they'd probably never shut up about it

>yeah well I was enlisted just like you once so you should respect me!

I can't even think of a context where the topic would even seriously come up.
>>
>The most dangerous thing in the world is 2nd lieutenant with a map and a compass
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>33945112

It's a meme. LTs are inexperienced in stuff like land nav, but they're the ones who decide which way to go. Their inexperience can put everyone on danger, but usually they'll get help from NCOs.
>>
>>33945270
And it's certainly NOT a reason to mustang, which is why I'd imagine that guy posted that
>>
So I'm reclassing to 12N in two weeks and I'm going to Fort Hunter Liggett. What's the barracks situation there, anybody know?
>>
i got a knee surgery couple of years back(busted meniscus). i got full range mobility, and no pain, will that be a desqualifier? will i be needing a waver?
>>
I wanna join the Aussie Navy. Which job lets me shoot machine guns?
>>
>>33930420
Here's the deal, you are very likely going to fail at some point in the pipeline, probably selection. Except if you aren't going to fail and you 100% know that. Those who are dedicated enough will make it. Most aren't.
>>
File: air force nco.png (535KB, 468x747px) Image search: [Google]
air force nco.png
535KB, 468x747px
An Air Force guy told me E-6 is essentially a warrant officer so they don't need warrant officers. Is this true?

Is it better to be an E-6 than a Warrant Officer in the Army, USMC, or Navy?
>>
>>33946924
Can't tell if that is a man or a woman so I guess that is par for the course for air force
>>
>>33946924
>E-6 is a warrant officer

Clearly this mo-fo has never met a Warrant Officer.

there are way too many retarded E-6's/E-7's out there. Warrant Officers are on another level as far as job expertise.
>>
>>33946924
There's nothing better than being a Warrant Officer in any branch outside of running the god damn company

Warrant Officers don't have to do shit
>>
>>33944060
No. If you're not a total potato you should do fine
>>
>>33941517
What is wrong with you?

You tell them you want a career. Same as any company you would go for an interview with. You don't walk in there asking someone to give you a job and ask when you can leave.

Why do people think about getting out of something they haven't even got into yet? Just go in, sign on the paper, do your training and go from there. Don't fucking start going on about when you can leave.
>>
File: thoughtful pepe.jpg (29KB, 640x519px) Image search: [Google]
thoughtful pepe.jpg
29KB, 640x519px
>>33946924
>>33946979
Doesn't the air force ban their enlisted from becoming warrants?
>>
>>33921416
Can anybody here give me some advice? I was already accepted to a university and as of right now thats where I'll be at in fall, but I'm honestly dreading going through four more years of schooling and then going into the work force without seeing the world. I just don't know what I want to do with myself but lately I've been thinking about joining the military before I go to college. Is it too late, should I just commit to university since it's right around the corner?
>>
>>33947903
What university? Is it a school of substance? What's your planned major? Lots of students travel as part of their studies.
>>
>>33947999
Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania, it's part of the state education system. I would be going for Criminal Justice but I'm not really that into it.
>>
>>33948040
International Studies, gets you your travel and your degree.

Have your cake and eat it.
>>
>>33947857

The Air Force doesn't have warrants, but Air Force personnel can apply to be warrants in branches that have them.

The idea that all AF NCOs are technical experts so they don't "need" warrants is mostly BS.
>>
What are the odds of being picked for open field when signing for AF?
I really don't want to get burned on a job I want
>>
File: 1483941198110.png (208KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1483941198110.png
208KB, 5000x5000px
>too dumb to bus up to MEPS
>>
>>33948752
100% if it's on your contract.
>>
>>33949126
How hard is it to get it on my contract?
>>
>>33923494
Run like a mother fucker. 5 days a week. Cardio is the absolute most important thing. Beyond that, some well rounded muscle building will help a lot.
>>
>>33929280
Don't worry, nothing goes in your ass
>>
>>33931303
Jody is your wife's best friend while you're overseas
>>
>>33937015
Bring friends.
>>
File: 1467921931795.png (1MB, 1326x1146px) Image search: [Google]
1467921931795.png
1MB, 1326x1146px
>>33949274
Turns out the guy at the station forgot to book the hotel and appointment at MEPS. Now I gotta go next week. I've also got to make sure I clean my ass and penis very carefully in the shower before I leave, now that I think of it.
>>
>>33949488
Should clean that shit thoroughly every time you shower you virgin
>>
>>33949126
>>33949133
I'm 100% serious btw, I am wanting to join but I really REALLY don't want to run the risk of getting picked for open and having to choose between 5 truly shit jobs
>>
>>33940381
Trying to get an option 40 contract as a POG is pretty hard.

I'm sure you can do it. Just tell your recruiter you want an option 40 contract or you won't join the army at all. You will probably have to wait 3 - 12 months before you could get it.

If you're trying to go infantry it shouldn't be too hard.
>>
>>33946029
Bumping also have busted knee that's fully healed
>>
I was at MEPS this past week and will have to go back another time to finish the process. I had the chance to talk to a Master Sergeant for the Air Force and he mentioned to me that since I'm so close to finishing my bachelor's degree that I could enlist and join some sort of accelerated officer's program. It's meant for those that are within a semester of graduation.
I'd never heard of anything like this before and was wondering if going back to school is possible during my first year while i'm still in technical training?
>>
>>33949958
No
>>
>>33949579
Open contracts don't just 'happen'. They're not random. The only way to get an open contract is to sign one. Almost any other contract either guarantees a job or a general job area (admin, infantry, etc.)
>>
How does special branches work on the Navy? Do you first get a regular rating and then opt to take Seals, EOD (for example) courses or you have to ask for them first? Does Asvab matters for those type of jobs?

Id like to try for EOD but if i fail, i would like to have a job i will not hate.
>>
>>33950435
I meant to say general area, my recruiter wants 9 AFSCs and 10th general area in a field of my choosing.
Why the fuck make me pick 9 jobs I want if I still run the risk of getting picked up for general?! It's really stressing me out.
Should I just talk to another recruiter?
>>
Tips for sit-ups?

Been sitting at 40/minute for a couple weeks now.

Can't seem to get any faster without breaking form.

Need to get to 50+/minute before BMT.
>>
>>33950687
Don't use your muscles going down, just slam yourself down and use the momentum of that to get back up
>>
File: 1470962959525.jpg (74KB, 600x865px) Image search: [Google]
1470962959525.jpg
74KB, 600x865px
>>33949523
I do clean carefully, but I'll do it even more carefully than carefully.
>>
Who leaves for Sill on the 21st/22nd?
>>
>>33951726
Of what month? I go to Fort Sill on the 22nd of August.
>>
I had PRK done a while ago, will this hinder by ability to enlist?
>>
>>33951821
May. I leave next week
>>
>>33929280
branch?
>>
>>33953923
I see, what MOS did you sign for? 35N here.
>>
>>33954631
35F. Have fun at Goodfellow
>>
>>33955268
Yeah I'll try man, have fun at Fort Huachuca.
>>
File: 1470962409921.png (315KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
1470962409921.png
315KB, 600x750px
>>33954120
Navy.
>>
>>33956165
I just came back from that, got any questions?
>>
>tfw ran for the first time in weeks and feel like im dying

holy fuck cardio was a mistake. niggers in sof running 5 miles in 30 minutes must be on drugs. there's no way that shit's human
>>
>>33956922
>dying
>mild discomfort
>dying

Come on, m8. Your pain rating system is fucked and you know it.
>>
>>33956931
i posted that literally 10 seconds after the first day of my couch to 5k workout

running is shit tbqh senpai
>>
>>33953063
I'm literally getting PRK to be ABLE to join the navy
>>
File: 1456538908107.jpg (59KB, 355x417px) Image search: [Google]
1456538908107.jpg
59KB, 355x417px
>>33956922
>Running 6 minute pace for 5 miles is inhuman
If you think that's the peak of human performance, the military isn't for you
>>
File: scooby.jpg (77KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
scooby.jpg
77KB, 300x225px
>>33921416
>always wanted to be a ranger
>would be ok with just a paratrooper badge or even ranger qualified, but my real dream is to get into the regiment
>dont want to make a career out of the army, would like to do 4-6 years tops
>maybe 8 if I had to
>also starting to get job offers from various LEO agencies (including federal level)
>want to do that after the army
>or do I want to not sign up at all because im getting red pilled on muh fighting for Israel,oil, bullshit politicians and the military is going SJW anyway and the benefits just arent there any more
>also the general risk of getting killed/injured and I cant take those jobs afterwards
>ive only got s year left of school and then I have to decide

genuinely freaking out a bit bros, I consider myself lucky because I at least have a plan while others I know dont have the least but idea on what they want to do. What im asking is

those serving right now, do you find it worth while or do you agree about being used for Israeli oil politics
is it possible for me to be a ranger and not make a career out of it and generally how long would I have to be in
am I an idiot for thinking like this and how do I go about asking a recruiter without coming off like a dumbass

I also was told I could go from active to reserves and get more benefits. How likely is that and could I do it from a ranger battalion?
>>
>>33950687
Exhale when you go up and just drop hard when going down. The momentum will bounce you off the mat for the next rep.

If your grader is shitty you can sorta lift your butt up a bit too when coming back up, but ONLY when you slam yourself back

t. PT warrior
>>
File: air force body.jpg (45KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
air force body.jpg
45KB, 600x400px
>>33950687
>BMT
its just air force, dude. Don't sweat it.

>>33957418
>air force PT warrior
Whatever the fuck that means
>>
>>33956944
Yes running is shit and it fucks up your legs and literally nobody likes doing it, but we still do it because running is the name of the game when it comes to military PT.
>>
>>33957374
>do you find it worth while
it is what you make of it, you are ultimately a tool of the government and nothing more to them but if you pick a job you like and have always wanted to join you'll probably be ok. In my experience the two kinds of people that sign up are those that want to and those that think they have to. Experiences will vary
>is it possible for me to be a ranger and not make a career out of it and generally how long would I have to be in
I honestly dont know, take everything a recruiter says with a grain of salt though. Nobody can give you a definite answer until you sign up, contracts and availability change frequently and a good recruiter will tell you that. Until you actually sign up the most they can say it was "could" happen
>am I an idiot for thinking like this
no youre just being cautious which is the smart thing to do. youd be an idiot if you were blindly signing up thinking youd be a SOF because mr. recruiter said so. Just do your research into different MOS's, and the benefits/qualifications of each. it shows maturity and youre not a dumb ass kid trying to play soldier

idk about the active to reserve thing, probably the same as my second answer though
>>
File: adasdd.jpg (22KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
adasdd.jpg
22KB, 600x600px
Friendly reminder Denmark has the best military
>>
>>33958184
Denmark has good cheese.
>>
What are the most important muscle groups to work for PT?
>>
What do you do with your car when you enlist
>>
>>33950687
If you fail a physical test due to push-ups or sit-ups, it's your counting partner's fault not yours
>>
File: IMG_1367.jpg (130KB, 550x733px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1367.jpg
130KB, 550x733px
>>33950567
Bump for this
>>
anyone got any good workout regimens for usmc basic?

want to be able to hit at least 225 or so on the PFT before leaving
>>
>>33958610
Just do push ups, pull ups, and sit-ups. Long distance jogging and sprints to build the legs.
>>
>>33959161
Do your running on a treadmill, it's more boring but you have less risk of injuring yourself. You will do enough outdoor running during basic m8
>>
How do I casually ask my recruiter if I'm allowed a dog in the RAF?

Its a serious question but seems inappropriate
>>
>>33921416
I just got letter back from the military.
They didnt want me, hold me close bros.
It was the only thing i really wanted to do with my life.
>>
>>33921416
I'm taking a class for my EMT-B cert right now and will enlist in the guard when I'm done.

Is it true that you get to go in as an E-4 if you have your EMT-B certificate? I also heard you get to skip 8 weeks of training.
>>
>>33961084
what did you do? score a 31 in the asvab?
>>
>>33961439
Nah man, it was th danish military, Got ADD and they dont want me cause of that, i dont even take medicine for it.
>>
>>33961479
well that is bad luck.
>>
>>33961572
yeah man, dont really know what im gonna do now
>>
>>33926207

Air Force OTS is a joke.

So long as you get accepted and you put in minimal effort throughout the program, you're pretty much guaranteed a commission.
>>
>>33948647

Yep.

The air force just likes fucking anyone who isn't an officer, that is why people usually do their eight years and jump ship to OTS or separate - getting paid shit money to work 12s isn't fun.
>>
>>33949958

Dude is making shit up, don't fall for it.

The only thing close to what he is telling you is a program where you compete with everyone in the entire air force for one OTS slot.
>>
>>33924705
navy
what platforms would you be more willing to fly? look at all the navy/AF platforms
>>
>>33921416
im looking to become a pilot. should i join the chair-force or the navy?
>>
Well /meg/, this is it. Tomorrow I head down to the National Guard armory before shipping off to BCT.

Thanks for the advice you've given me. When I get done, I'll be sure to advise and assist others any way I can.

I'm going to try for honors. Tough, I know, and probably a long shot - but I think I can do it. I'm going to give it my all and never let up.

If anyone else is headed to Fort Sill in the next few days, maybe I'll see you there. Would be nice to have someone from /meg/ in my platoon.

Anyone got final words of advice before I head off?
>>
>>33962151
if you have a GF, break up with her. you WILL get cucked, no exceptions. and if you think your not getting cucked, shes lying. break up with her
>>
>>33962151
I'll see you there, anon
>>
>>33957374
11x Op 40 contracts are generally 4 years active. You don't have to serve active any longer than that.
I guarantee that your questions aren't the dumbest your recruiter has heard that day
If you go reserves after active you wouldn't be in a Ranger batt anymore, beyond that I don't know.
>>
>>33961084
What happened? Why didn't they want you?
>>
>>33962224
I've got ADD but i dont take medicine for it, but they didnt want me
>>
My dad thinks the military will make me less of a slob.
>>
>At hotel before shipping out tomorrow
>No room mate yet

YEEES. Both of my previous room mates were black dudes who made noise all fucking evening. Now I can finally be on my own and just relax.
>>
File: 1494045306522.jpg (29KB, 367x364px) Image search: [Google]
1494045306522.jpg
29KB, 367x364px
I was in for 3 years and no one could explain the history of this picture to me. I need to know.
>>
>>33962309
where you going?
>>
>>33962403
Fort Benning
>>
>>33962832
>nigga gonna be 95f while im sitting under the rain in nyc
lucky you.
god speed anon. and good luck
>>
>>33962845
To be fair infantry osut in that heat isn't exactly awesome. So good luck to the both of us.
>>
>>33962865
>osut
that is why im signing that i agree to report for basic training within 30 days in july/august, so i dont have to do basic in the middle of the heat.
>>
Who here has actually seen combat?
>>
Does Navy CTR travel around a lot?
>>
I hope I get a black drill instructor
>>
>>33962968
What do you want?
>>
>>33964223
What was it like?
>>
>>33964230
Annoying, fun, tiring, or confusing depending on the engagement. Sometimes combinations of those.
>>
>>33964244
What years were you deployed, and where (if that even matters for combat). I've heard that the combat is nontraditional now, so I assume it's not as violent based off death tolls
>>
>>33964319
Afghanistan during the tail of the surge years.

Non-traditional means violent in a different way. I was at a small outpost in the mountains which took near daily mortar/recoilless fire, with full blown barrages not being uncommon. The only way of breaking them was having an platoon out to attempt to close in on the shooters and spook them, or wait for attack helicopters from the main FOB to come out.

Death tolls are low in part because we've got modern body armor and modern medical care. I've seen many dudes shrug off hits that likely would have instantly killed them in an earlier war. When the main outpost sent us ground convoys (rare because of how heavily the route was an ambush target), they used varieties of MRAPs and detection gear that either detected IEDs or shrugged off the blasts in ways Humvees near could.

The ANA, who rolled with much less body armor and armored vehicles were constantly getting absolutely fucking wrecked.

I've been close range deliberate ambushes, close range sporadic fights, medium range ambushes with MGs and launched explosives, medium/long range dealing with an enemy sharpshooter, and various IED situations to include suicide bombers.

Non-traditional warfare means you don't have to worry about enemy tanks or helicopters, but the tactics and fighting are a lot dirtier- IEDs, random civilians literally attempting to jump out and shank you, never knowing if the "friendly" local military guys are feeding info the enemy, "friendly" police forces shooting at you.
>>
>>33964429
I appreciate the info m8. I'm most likely going to enlist once I graduate college, so I wanted to know what I was getting myself into in the event I got deployed
>>
File: oh-58d-kiowa-warrior_006.jpg (38KB, 638x425px) Image search: [Google]
oh-58d-kiowa-warrior_006.jpg
38KB, 638x425px
So what are my odds of becoming a rotary-wing pilot for the Army if I have glasses? They state glasses are fine, only if your corrected vision is 20/20 which mine is, but I honestly feel like there is no way they'd select anyone with glasses over someone without them.

Should I get LASIK?

Would shelling out the money for helicopter flight school beforehand guarantee me a spot? I'd also like to pursue a civilian job as a helicopter pilot so if it doesn't help with the Army it wouldn't be a total waste of money.

Should I pursue a bachelor's or two in a related field? Would that help? What are some degree's that might help?

Or is it impossible for a four-eyes to sit in a pilot's seat?
>>
>>33961084
>>33962243
Go join the legion
>>
At NSA Naples, the MPs an eyesore to the navy. they:
>are all beansprouts
>have ego issues
>don't follow the rules they're supposed to enforce
A few don't know how to change a car tire.

Is this how all AE bases are?
>>
Is it naive/edgey of me to want to wait and see if something happens with Syria or Korea before I enlist?

Hear me out. I not expecting to be a frontiline-fightin', hardcore-operatin', one man army. I just cant stand the idea of of shipping out to some military base in germany or japan for 4 years to just train for something i'm never gonna do, and then go home with blue balls.

I'd take being a POG in a combat zone over being infantry stuck doing manual labor or pretend war games at a base somewhere.
>>
File: 1490442045496.jpg (59KB, 500x509px) Image search: [Google]
1490442045496.jpg
59KB, 500x509px
Dream sheets.

Is it:
>A list of 8 overseas bases
Plus
>A list of 8 CONUS bases

Or

>8 overseas & 8 CONUS bases on one list, ranked to your liking

Can't seem to find anywhere online that words this clearly.
>>
It isn't dead-silent when it's lights out in basic (USMC) right?

the sound of silence is literally maddening and i hope to hell that i get bunked with five rusty-chainsaw snorers on my sides and above/below
>>
>>33964507
easy. you can put in for prk after 2 years, but it's not necessary. as long as your corrected vision is 20/20 and you aren't colorblind you are good to go. your measurements, weight, and overall physical are more what they look at.

yes, pursue both a degree and a seat time in rotary. both will help you get selected. you can become a pilot from enlisted, but you need to be in for a while and have enough left on your contract. you'll become a warrant officer instead of being commissioned though. also, i don't know if warrant officers can fly combat birds. i think the commissioned pilots get first pick, which tend not to be the blackhawks and chinooks.
>>
>>33965935
everyone snores. you just haven't been in a room with 50 other sleeping people yet to know that. after 2 nights of that shit, you'll be sleeping with your ear pro in.
>>
>>33961237
>Is it true that you get to go in as an E-4 if you have your EMT-B certificate?
no, pfc at best.
>I also heard you get to skip 8 weeks of training.
yes, you skip emt phase in your ait at fort sam.
>>
>>33965972
So how would I pursue becoming a commissioned pilot? I read a little about the warrant officer flight training, but I think that's what you described. Serve for a bit, and then get selected for WO training. So that would make me a non-commissioned pilot if I did that, right? To be commissioned would I have to attend an academy before service? And if so, is that feasible if all I wanna do is fly a helicopter?
>>
I'm not enlisting but I do have a question

>kid I know with anger and motivation problems enlists in Army after 3 years of unemployment
>wants to go intel
>easily one of the most out of shape people I know
>doesn't run
>doesn't lift
>hasn't worked out at all in about 5 years
>failed his initial PT test but recruiter marked him down as passing so he can ship him off

He's currently in fort sill doing basic training. Based on the limited knowledge I've presented, what are the chances he actually makes it through basic and gets intel? He's not dumb but he's not especially smart either and like I said he has anger problems with a huge ego
>>
>>33966232
Why does it matter to you? As long as he doesn't quit he'll be fine.
>>
>>33966265
Because he's an unstable egotistical individual who couldn't even hold down a job at a grocery store and the thought of him having access to sensitive information is unsettling
>>
>>33966303
I don't see why you should care, especially since you're not even in the service. If he washes out then he's obviously not cut out to be in the service. If basic straightens him out and he comes out a better man then he is. I've known guys that were huge fucking pricks with inflated egos coming in and came out to be better men after basic.
>>
>>33966189
>So how would I pursue becoming a commissioned pilot?
go to school and get a degree. it'd be best if you got into a school with a rotc program. degrees that officers tend to pursue are mainly engineering; aerospace, mechanical, etc. you might be able to schmooze a physics degree.

>So that would make me a non-commissioned pilot if I did that, right?
yes, you go through warrant officer candidacy after you're packet got approved. keynote: you have to have some college in order to apply for a warrant officer packet.

>To be commissioned would I have to attend an academy before service?
yes, but you could go through flight school as a warrant officer and pick up your commission down the road after you got a degree.

And if so, is that feasible if all I wanna do is fly a helicopter?
yes.

side note: kiowas are getting phased out. so by the time you got your wings, you probably won't fly one.
>>
>>33966333
I was a SWO in the Navy for a little over three years before being medically discharged for a spinal injury. I went through NROTC in college. I kind of understand how enlisted training for the Navy is in Great Lakes but have no idea about Army since yall have a shit ton of different bases for basic training apparently.

>I don't see why you should care

Again, any intel MOS comes with a TS clearance and I don't really think this guy is emotionally stable. That's how you get a "Chelsea" Manning
>>
>>33966395
Well then my mistake. I see what you're saying, you're right that we don't need anymore unstable types. But if he always does what he's told, doesn't quit, and doesn't punch a drill sergeant in the face then he'll most likely pass since army basic isn't that hard. I don't know him enough to say how well he'll do on his AIT.
>>
>>33966429
Just a follow up, is fort sill really that much easier than fort benning or has every 11b I've talked to been speaking out of their ass
>>
>>33966448
Can't answer that since I've never been there myself, might be a little easier since Benning does have OSUT for those combat arms guys. However most infantry guys also like to speak out of their ass.
>>
>>33966448
benning, from what i gathered, is tough because of osut. when you have to put up with the same fucking faces and DS for 17 weeks shit tends to get retarded. i will say that the medics that went benning before sam houston were more fit than the rest of us. it's a lot easier to keep your privates in shape when they all have the same pt standards.
>>
Someone said to me that people who get promoted to admiral/make CNO etc are people with good "organizational skills," but what exactly does that mean in the context of the Navy?
>>
File: images (3).jpg (7KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
7KB, 275x183px
People that have been deployed repeatedly, or just once, what do they do with the money?
You'll have half a year or more of full-time pay, just sitting there, since you didn't have the ability to spend all of it it's a 100% savings rate.

What do they do with it?
What do the people wanting to be deployed as often as possible do with it?
>>
>>33967309
Don't worry, your wife back home has been spending it for you while getting fucked by Tyrone
>>
>>33967309
Just came back in March, I'm literally just chilling and enjoying it. Most people use it to travel or buy a new car.

People that deploy constantly either have no family or in the reserve's case, can't keep a civilian job
>>
I'm on the bus to Sheppard from Slackland.

AMA.
>>
>>33967387
Sounds chill man, congratulations on making it back safe and sound.

So you spend it on fun stuff while still doing domestic military work?

Does anyone invest it in any way? Seems like a nice opportunity to do so.
>>
How often can I get deployed in the ADF? Task Force Taji seems pretty small
>>
>>33965990
nah, I can't sleep unless there's some sort of repetitive noise to drown out my thoughts

ill be alright on that front I think
>>
>>33967988
>88
heil
also this, once you get used to it you cant sleep without it
>>
>>33967787
>Does anyone invest it in any way?

There was just a thread on one of the Navy subreddits about this. A guy broke it down that, even if you don't invest your base pay, but don't spend any of it, an E-3 after 6 years makes like $150k. That's not including bonuses or any extra pays. He advocated investing in one of those high interest accounts and at 4%, you'd come away with $175k after 6 years.

He also said that he doesn't know many people capable of always eating at the galley or not buying a new phone/car, but if you can do it, or at least come close, you'd walk away from the military with a lot of money in your bank account.
>>
File: bear aks about life.jpg (87KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
bear aks about life.jpg
87KB, 600x450px
Any Navy enlisted guys here? which job did you chose and why? I see a lot of army mos discussions here and some Chairforce but rarely Navy ;_;
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.