[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm not a history guy but I've recently started playing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

I'm not a history guy but I've recently started playing Company of heroes and one question came to my mind: Why was the battle of Normandy carried out using infantry, why not use the ships near the coast to destroy the german's defenses or deploy more tanks or use some sort of mounted machine guns on the boats? Anything would have been better than sending 1000 or so men to a suicide mission.
>>
>>33919180
They shelled i for a few hours, and also had destroyers running close to shore to offer pinpoint naval gunfire support. But the fact of the matter is, sometimes you need infantry to take positions.
>deploy more tanks
Most broke down or sank before they got to shore
>mounted machine guns on the boats
They did, but they were immediately targeted.
>>
>>33919263
I guess that answers my question though it looks like a very bitter victory for the allies. I wonder what the soldiers were thinking when they were being picked up one by one as soon as they were deployed. It was close to being a fubar scenario.
>>
>>33919390
one by one....
>>
Actually, D-Day went very well. Yes, Omaha beach ran into difficulties, but on every beach the landing forces made it off. The DD tanks worked to a degree on every beach except Omaha, and subsequent waves did bring tanks.

The reason for the relatively short air and sea bombardment, is because from the moment the invasion force committed, the clock started ticking on German reinforcements. The deception for the "real invasion" at Calais was keeping some of the German's best troops in reserve. The coordinated forward dropping of paratroopers, French resistance sabotage, and air strikes against transport infrastructure was all to buy extra time for the break out of the landing area.

Squandering even half a day for heavier bombardment of defences would have cost even more lives as German reinforcements were brought to Normandy. Mistakes were made, especially with Omaha and the later break out, but the landings themselves were a success.
>>
>>33919180
>why not use the ships near the coast to destroy the german's defenses
There was a massive bombardment by both naval guns and bombers, both were ineffective at Omaha. German bunkers didn't face out to sea but pointed down the coast and the larger ones were constructed to withstand cruiser fire.

>some sort of mounted machine guns on the boats
Only a few craft landed within machine gun range of the Germans, those unlucky enough to be directly in front of defense nests on a beach five miles wide.

>Anything would have been better than sending 1000 or so men to a suicide mission.
Even with the horrific losses among the first few waves, total casualties were lower than anticipated.
>>
>>33919180
add me

nekropoopsecks

been playing that shit 1000 hours and i haven't played other games for like 3 years
>>
>>33919180
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQaartthWME
>>
>>33919509
>Omaha Beach ran into difficulties
Bit of an understatement there.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1960/11/first-wave-at-omaha-beach/303365/
>>
>>33919390
They simply got their own taste of WW2.
After hearing stories from the Eastern Front, it must have been pretty much their worst nightmares coming true.
>>
>>33919878

Sure, but they still won the day.

When D-day is judged by the brutality of the war in the East, and even the senseless waste of life against the defensive positions on the Italian front (like Monte Cassino, Anzio, and the Gothic Line), all the dead to gain a foot-hold in France in June 1944 was pocket-change.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.