[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

US Army Showcases New 3D Printed Grenade Launcher Prototype After

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1432785841927.jpg (262KB, 700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1432785841927.jpg
262KB, 700x1000px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZgoG9pIyDM

Thoughts on this?

Will this revolutionized weapon production?
>>
>>33908048
No it's for prototyping weapon designs.
>>
>>33908048
Look, a lot of people don't get the point of 3d printing. Its for rapid prototyping, not manufacture. It sucks as manufacturing technique, but if you want a single or small batch batch of plastic parts, its great. 3d printing will not revolutionize mass production.

And you're a faggot op.
>>
>>33908048
CNC milled receivers and 3d printed lowers have been around for a few years now. I'm not entirely sure what they're trying to prove here.
>>
>>33908048
Now when are the files they use don't going to be leaked? That's what I want to know.
>>
>>33908088

Define manufacture.
>>
SpaceX uses laser sintering to print their escape rockets from inconel alloy.
>>
>>33908091
>I'm not entirely sure what they're trying to prove here.

Independent POC for the US army?
>>
>>33908122

NOOOOO.

You've fucking done it now.

Someone is going to say those rockets aren't manufactured that way and they're lying, that the rockets aren't real and that NASA is a CIA Black Program focused on COINTEL, or flat earthers who say the rockets don't go anywhere.

God damn you. God damn you to hell.
>>
>>33908136
If jet fuel can melt steel beams then how are rocket pads not destroyed?

Fucking sheep, rockets don't real.
>>
>>33908117
sifnificant, high quality, and controlled production of a finished product.
>>
>>33908155

I swear to god, if you somehow summon that Norwegian fuck from /pol/ I will commit a thousand days to the desecration of your family's lineage via shitposting on 4chan.
>>
>>33908136
kek
go to /sci/, there are like 3 moonhoax-treads up now
>>
>>33908187
Jokes on you, I am a faggot, my father a faggot, and my grandfather was a faggot. I come from a very long line of faggots.

My shitposting lineage is as strong as it is long. Killroy? Great great gramps in WW1. (x) was here? Uncle faggot.

Your attempts are laughable.
>>
>>33908122
Laser sintering is very different from the filament technology most people are using.

Also, space applications are typically small batch series. It's "production manufacturing", but on a very small scale, where economy of scale is not really a thing.
>>
I know the term is overused as hell, but 3d printing is one thing I can confidently call a meme.
>>
>>33908187
>Norwegian fuck
Who is this "Norwegian fuck" that you speak of? Fellow Norwegian here, just want to know what my country is exporting
>>
>>33908088
>>33908117
>>33908168
Nah thats bullshit. 3D printing has its place in manufacture as well in prototyping. When some performance metric (weight, efficiency, whatever) is more important than cost and production time increases, then its viable. You can make geometries with additive manufacturing that are otherwise impossible to machine - sometimes this means not having to make sacrifices elsewhere to allow for that method. SpaceX as an example doesn't print valves for shits and giggles.

What its not is some fancy magic that will replace traditional manufacturing processes.
>>
>>33908088
>>33908822
I forgot to add
>but if you want a single or small batch batch of plastic parts,

3D printing/Additive manufacture doesn't just do plastic. Gold, silver, inconel, titanium, copper, aluminum, tungsten, resin, chocolate, ceramics, glass, a bunch of different steel alloys and a shit ton more I can't remember have been printed in.

>>33908220
Additive manufacturing is additive manufacturing. In OP's fucking video they use both laser sintering and FDM. Both are 3d printing.
>>
>>33908880
As a mechanical engineer, this stuff gives me a slight erection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndx-amkf4qU
>>
>>33908048
>Will this revolutionized weapon production?
No.

3d printing isn't cost-effective, just very good if you want to make 1 or 2 things of given type, aka prototyping.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.