[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ can you help me with some ideas to turn my 2008 Ford Escape

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: 2008-ford-escape-awd-system.png (1013KB, 1046x645px) Image search: [Google]
2008-ford-escape-awd-system.png
1013KB, 1046x645px
/k/ can you help me with some ideas to turn my 2008 Ford Escape In to a BOV (Bug Out Vehicle)
>>
>>33905157
Sell it and buy something with more ground clearance, torque, and cargo room than an asian sedan.
>>
>>33905222
Like a Toyota? Faggot.
>>
Sell it and get an actual utility vehicle.
>>
>>33905233
They don't make anything big enough, sorry.

Also:
>Toyota
>meaningful torque or cargo room
Pick one

I was thinking more like a large truck-framed SUV or an actual truck.
>>
sell it an buy a taurus
>>
It was a free hand me down.
>>
>>33905303
Don't talk to 4chan about cars. They hate everything and will give you a million different answers
>>
>>33905157
Seriously, trade it towards something pre '80 if you can. The older the better, within reason. You've got to think about EMPs as well as knocking things out of your way if your plan includes bugging out.
I'm bugging in. If nothing else is moving but you in your BOV, you'll become a target for everyone else along your way that would like to be elsewhere. Most won't make it 5 miles before their BOV is liberated.
>>
>wait for the happening
>fill car with supplies and weapons
>get in car
>drive away
>it is now a bug out car
>>
>>33905157

In the event of an EMP, the computer's going to fry and the vehicle won't run.

For any other scenario, the Escape and vehicles like it are what's known as a "soft roader". They're more capable than a car in snow and minor off road situations but they're not for serious trails, deep mud, deep water, etc. AWD doesn't mean it's a true 4WD. You may experience wheel spin and loss of traction in certain situations.

Another thing to consider if you're really going to use it a a bug out vehicle is to keep a second set of more aggressive tires mounted on rims. The worst thing I see in YouTube and in real life is people who daily drive their trail rig and then have no fucking tread left on the tires when they take it off road.

Seriously though, for a bug out vehicle, I'd rather build up an old Jeep with a 4BT Cummins or similar small diesel. Keep it as simple and easy to work on as possible because the last thing you need out in the middle of nowhere is to get fucked over by a 50 cent sensor which causes your engine to die.

Seriously though,
>>
>>33905157
I'd say put a duffel bag of food/water/other in the back. Blankets, a decent medical kit, maybe a change of clothes. Definitely have a shovel, full size spare and a fire extinguisher. You're very likely to use those.

If you want to keep a gun in it bolt a lockbox to the frame somewhere near the driver's seat. Make sure it's out of sight unless needed. Maybe on a hollowed out space in the armrest or under the driver's seat. Have some cheap but decent pistol in there like a $400 used Glock. Ideally some loaded mags too. Just rotate every range trip or so. Check state/local laws regarding driving around with a gun. Mags/ammo might have to be secured separately.

Definitely get a cover for the rear. You do not have an enclosed trunk so anything to provide some privacy for whatever is back there is good. Minimizes odds of a break in.

Objective in a bad situation are to maintain a low profile. Attempt to look like some confused normie. Find somewhere to shelter and move only if you must. Try to wait for whatever event to blow over.

Since that's unlikely, the food is always good to have for hunger, like if you're stuck out a while and all dining establishments are closed. Spare tire for normal flats. Fire extinguisher for fires duh. Aid kit for routine injuries. I keep that stuff in my car and it gets used sometimes.
>>
>>33905785

One more thing I forgot about it being a soft roader is that the suspension and drivetrain components aren't really heavy duty enough to take a lot of pounding. You could end up with broken parts though that's a possibility with any vehicle.
>>
>>33905157
Take the wheels out, pop open the trunk, put in bugs.

The Bugs will then get out of your vehicle after noticing it is not moving anywhere. Hence, a Bug Out Vehicle.
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 443x332px
How about selling it and buying a reliable suzukilet that runs of willpower.
>>
>>33905157

if you have to stick with the vehicle, remember that bug out is not bugging in.

your vehicle should just get you as far as you need it to go. if you got good tires and keep it well maintained, then just get a 5lb gas can, jack and tire iron, spare tire, and clean (so when shtf, you only have to do loading, not unloading).

you could do dumb shit like getting a cb radio, but thats a novelty. your best bet is to have a plan, and plan for the worst + traffic.
>>
>>33905785
Ah the great emp meme strikes again. Dumb faggot
>>
>>33905157

on top of my head

remove front and back bumpers

get a custom pipe build grills with metal plates mounted

re-wire fog lights

change the roof grills with something more sturdy

elevate the suspension either by getting bigger shock absorbers or by at least using a metal plate to do it

change the rims with something more durable

optional - re-paint it with scratch resistance paint
>>
>>33905855
crazy how I can just look at that image and know its NZ. A google image search confirmed it.
>>
>>33906630
Because we don't buy trash over here. Only cityfags buy pieces of shit like Ford Escapes.
>>
>muh EMP will kill all modern cars
This meme needs to die. Contrary to popsci 'wisdom', there is no telling what effect an EMP will have on your car. There are so many factors to consider; height, distance and azimuth from detonation, gamma ray output, local strength of the Earth's magnetic field, physical location (indoors, outdoors, garage) and even orientation of the vehicle, etc.

IMO, getting your hands on usable fuel is a more pressing factor to consider. In this case, its biodiesel or bust.

>>33905157
In order of importance:

You need to be sure the car will run and continue to run when you have to bug out:
>keep it well maintained (tune it up, replace fluids on time, proper tire pressure+spare, follow mfgs recommended maintenance schedule)
>learn how to perform low level maintenance; have tools to do it (correct size drivers, ratchets, a mallet and a breaker bar, jack and jack stands an OBD II reader, a powerful light source)
>have a spare battery, spark plugs, get jumper cables, duct tape, a fuel can or 2, stock fluids like oil and coolant

After that, I would perform these utility upgrades so you can do more with your rig
>off road tires so you aren't limited to paved roads
>suspension upgrade + 1-2" lift: will help your rig deal with the stress from terrain; the additional ground clearance is for curbs, debris, water, etc
>skid plate protects your undercarriage when you're off road
>off road bumper to protect the front (engine!) from brush, an impact, or just to push something
>lights - extra candle power (light bar or mounted lights) lets you navigate off road in the dark so you don't get stuck
>recovery gear (winch or tow straps if you have a buddy) - so when you get stuck you don't stay stuck
>roof rack/basket for carrying extra gear

And if you're really gangster, get an off road/adventure trailer to wrap it up.
>>
File: k prius.gif (1MB, 320x238px) Image search: [Google]
k prius.gif
1MB, 320x238px
>>33906935

And just because you're probably a poorfag and won't do anything I listed; here's some quality of life shit you can do relatively cheap
>get a power inverter so you can hook up electronics/laptop - fap away anon
>15-20% front side window tint, 5-10% everything else and a set of sunshades that cover the full windshield for max privacy
>foam mattress for comfy sleep time in the back
>side window deflectors so you can crack your windows and nobody can tell
>camo netting so you can hide your vehicle in the brush
>>
>>33905157
Yes, just keep it in A-1 pristine condition and keep some extra gas, food and water in the cargo area. Maybe 2 extra tires, also. Any car is worthless with a flat tire.

Number one for bug out vehicle is you want it to fucking work.
>>
>>33905233

I'd take any a Tundra over anything Ford is putting out at the moment.
>>
>>33908281
Why does it have to be new? It's like you want an overly complicated bug out vehicle?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.