[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good evening from /Poland/ My friend was searching in the forest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: luska_42.jpg (30KB, 600x510px) Image search: [Google]
luska_42.jpg
30KB, 600x510px
Good evening from /Poland/
My friend was searching in the forest for old WW2 shit, and found pic related (not his photo, but same headstamp-DEN 42)
The name of the forest is called Milówka. It's near the border of Slovakia/Poland.
Any idea how the hell am American shell casing ended up in southern Poland? Google didn't help. I can't find any info of American lend-lease of the m1903 or garand to Russia or poland
>>
File: 1493676033626.png (909KB, 506x762px) Image search: [Google]
1493676033626.png
909KB, 506x762px
Have a wholesome memes for your help
>>
He says it was in the center of the forest under about 10cm of cover, so we're sure it wasn't some hunter using cheap American milshit. I proposed it's either from a partisan who got the rifle in a "My Way"-esque struggling of events, or from an aircraft turret. Pretty unlikely though
>>
I forgot to say, I found that DEN42 means Denver ordinance 1942, and it's a .30-06 ball ammo
>>
Really interesting find. I'm digging around, trying to find anything about US forces going that far East into Europe, but can't find too many details. Hopefully another anon will be able to help, I'll keep looking though.
>>
>>33890957
If it is wartime, it was probably from the Soviets.
>>
>>33891067
Thanks Anon. I found stuff about USA doing a lend lease for airplane parts like engines and propellers, but nothing on small arms. It wouldn't make sense to give anything using .30 Springfield to anyone during the war
>>
>>33891096
Did the Soviets get .30 rifles? I thought that anything USA gave to them was in 7.62 motherland
>>
>>33891114
>Did the Soviets get .30 rifles

Some. Not a huge amount, and most of them never really got used on the front lines. I think the total number of small arms shipped to tghem was only something like 140k, and that includes everything from thompsons to M1 rifles/carbines.
>>
>>33891067
>>33891104
>>33890957
German captured M1903, M1, or BAR being used by auxiliary Volkssturm/Wehrmacht units fending off Soviets?
>>
>>33891164
I think it's unlikely. This place is pretty far from mainland Germany, pretty much right where Slovakia, Czech Republic, and Poland meet. Would the Volksturm have ventured that far? It's in the mountains, near some roads but no major roads to anywhere important. My WiFi is shit now, but look up the place on Google maps - gmina Milówka.
Gmina is something like a county, you can see it's pretty isolated
>>
>>33890957
Maybe it dropped out of a plane that had some .30 cals on it
>>
>>33891265
I was thinking the same. B 17s had 30cal in the earlier models
>>
>>33891265
That's what I was thinking too, from a bomber turret. I'm not sure if they would have send bombers that far behind lines, most factories were north/Northwest of this place. Maybe. I found this photo of a Polish partisan, there's a few of them holding BARs
>>
>>33891324
But it also might be a vz.1928 Polish that fires 8mm Mauser. Can't really tell
>>
>>33891343
it definitely is, those had pistol grips instead of the standard BAR rifle stock
>>
>>33891218
This is just stupid - this place was part of Germany from 1940 until 1945:

Landkreis Saybusch im Regierungsbezirk Kattowitz in der Provinz Schlesien
>>
It's a case from an alternate world where Operation Unthinkable actually occurred
>>
File: 1488657053729.jpg (69KB, 647x384px) Image search: [Google]
1488657053729.jpg
69KB, 647x384px
>>33891414
This

>And now for the news for 7th of August 1946
>The final ships of the Soviet Navy have been sunk by the US Navy in the Northern Pacific and Northern Atlantic. USS Iowa credited with kills against Soviet Cruisers and Battleship
>American, Finnish and Commonwealth troops recapture St. Petersburg (Formerly Leningrad)
>US and Free German forces clash with Soviet troops in Southern Poland.
>British troops make good progress in the Balkans driving out Yugoslavian Communists
>US drops 3rd Atomic bomb on Moscow
>US, Australian and Free Korean troops hold Soviets at 38th Parallel in Korea
>Chinese Nationalists with aid from the Allies secure another victory against the Chinese Communists
>>
>>33891401
You have a point. Was it common for them to use captured American guns though?
>>
Baseless speculation here, but couldn't it just have been a sportsman's rifle round? Is Milowka a hunting ground? Czechoslovakia had a moderate civilian firearms market before the war, I'd expect Poland to have one as well.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.