[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/ a poor as hell anon here. I was wondering looking on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1579.jpg (165KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1579.jpg
165KB, 800x800px
Hey /k/ a poor as hell anon here. I was wondering looking on gunbroker and you know PPS-43 parts kits. Only about 100-150 dollars. I was looking at them. I thought to myself "hey there's 7.62x25 16-20 inch barrels out there and most of these parts kits come without the barrel shroud." So if I was to buy a 20 inch barrel for a PPS-43 and make a super long barrel shroud with the various extensions. And most likely add a homemade bipod. With the wooden buttstock. For about 150-200 dollars I could have a basic suppressive weapon. Thoughts? Should I try it?
>>
No. In your situation, don't get fancy. We're in the middle of a bubble where ARs are dirt cheap. Get one of those and call it a day.
>>
>>33882343
I understand that. But the feeling of building something yourself, craving military surplus and something to fill the LMG bubble is so tempting.
>>
>>33882328
That's one hell of a project. You need to convert it to closed bolt (not easy) and making the shroud is going to be a PITA (Those were manufactured using specially made dies, not just a brake press). Hell, just drawing out the flat requires a solid understanding of sheet metal manufacturing, as the dimensions of the bend change with thickness. If you don't do it properly, features after a bend won't line up properly.
>>
>>33882328
No.

As a kit builder, you will NOT build a PPS-anything for less than $700 unless you have way too much time and a mill on your hands.
Sorry man.
>>
>>33882370
>I understand that. But the feeling of building something yourself, craving military surplus and something to fill the LMG bubble is so tempting.
So build your own AR. It's not that hard.
>>
>>33882343
>>33882394

AR fags are the worse.
>>
>>33882394
It's not even remotely the same anon.
Building an AR is like assembling a cheap shelf.
Yeah it takes time but it's neither fun nor rewarding.
>>33882370
Sadly anon, the days of cheap kits that are buildable without ridiculous amount of modification and cash are over.

You MIGHT be able to do something with a CETME kit for $150-90 and a new reciever, but I haven't built one and can't really offer any advice.

Well, I can say that SARCO and SOG both have pre-built recievers so you don't have to weld anything.
But I really can't offer anything else.
>>
>>33882418
Wow someone who isn't an AR fag but understands kit building. Thanks man, good to know. I'll look into the CETME kits.
>>
>>33882436
Just out of curiosity, you DO have a drill press and a shop press, right?
>>
>>33882328
I just bought a pm-63 kit I'm so excited all I need now is to find someone whos willing to let me borrow a jig.
>>
>>33882602
What method of semi auto are you using?
I have a lot I'm sitting on and I fucking love the feel of it.
>>
>>33882328
unless you have access to a machine shop and like, experience in this shit dont.

you can build an AR for cheaper, as many others have alluded to in this thread
>>
>>33882447
Not him but what would you use the shop press for?
>>
>>33882328
Anon as someone who has been down this road please listin. Buying parts kits is not the cheap way. You'll end up paying much more in the end unless you already have all the tools needed. Mostly a tig welder and 20 ton press and all the jigs needed.
>>
>>33883344
It's good for a lot of things, but namely pressing in retaining pins and making rivets.
If it's a press in barrel (I can't remember the method of insertion on a G3 pattern rifle) you CAN do it with a vice and a sledgehammer, but you probably don't want to.
A shop press makes shit a lot easier.
>>
>>33883361
As stated earlier, ARs are not fun.
However converting open bolt weaponry is a pain in the ass.

I would only recommend kit building if you are willing to wait years on end for your rifle, and you also are willing to work your ass off and cuss like a /k/ommando for hours on end.

An AK kit is actually the perfect kit building introduction.
>>
AK kit builds are extremely difficult to anyone who has never built anything mechanical in their life, but can be done much easier than those other kits.

Can't speak for a cetme, but google sensei says it's hard. I'd love to build one.

I have many parts kits in my garage rusting to death because I don't have the welding ability to complete them. Life sucks.
>>
>>33884696
Not really.
Just watch Flandres build video on it.
They're Simple, so long as you have a basic idea of what does what and why.

And as for a CETME, the main problem I have heard of is head spacing, and otherwise it's very AK like if you don't make your own reciever.
>>
>>33882328
do you have experience building parts kits? no? then dont waste your money
>>
>>33882611
I wont know til i get the receiver welded up.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.