[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does the US military use self propelled artillery in any capacity?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: XM2001_Crusader.jpg (43KB, 512x330px) Image search: [Google]
XM2001_Crusader.jpg
43KB, 512x330px
Does the US military use self propelled artillery in any capacity? I'm not sure why but I always found the idea of a vehicle driving around with a big gun that can shoot miles away kinda neat.

I did a bit of googling and it seems like we mostly just use the leftover paladins, although I don't think they see much use overall. The crusader was supposed to replace it but the project got cancelled.
>>
>>33874424
>I did a bit of googling and it seems like we mostly just use the leftover paladins, although I don't think they see much use overall. The crusader was supposed to replace it but the project got cancelled.
/thread
>>
>>33874424
>what is the M-109 Paladin
>>
>>33874449
>>33874438
I know about them. I was just curious if they still get any use out of them or if they're all just kinda sitting in a parking lot somewhere
>>
>>33874456
As it happens, I am a former 13B who was part of a paladin crew. (cue thread full of WHAT DID YOU SAY).

As far as self-propelled tube artillery, quite a few Paladins saw use throughout the Iraq War. During the opening invasion we did exactly what you'd expect, rolling with the advance and providing artillery whenever needed.

After that, we still saw a lot of action though. Any time a major operation was planned, we'd get moved into the area to add more cannons to what the local firebases had.

There were several times where the locals would put unarmed observers on a firebase and any time counterbattery started going out, they'd tell the mortar guys to move. So we'd send Paladins to some random point and send our own counterbattery unobserved.
We get used a lot, you just don't see it because a big tube sitting in the mud and farting black smoke doesn't look as good in the media as MLRS barrages or her fighters.
>>
>>33874456
Paladins are in combat in Iraq and Syria right now, they see a lot of use.
>>
>>33875010
>a big tube sitting in the mud and farting black smoke doesn't look as good in the media
What can be done about such pleb taste?
>>
>>33875010
Are you prepared for Railgun Paladins in the future Soon™?
>>
>>33875010
>*incoming alarm sounds*
>CRAM begins fireing

I don't want you to break opsec, but I assume you know the origin of the incoming rounds before they hit, do you hunker down and wait for them to hit before you begin counter fire, or do you just start shooting and hope you don't get it?
>>
>>33874449
>>
>>33875010
Thanks anon, that's neat.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.