[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just don't like the AR-15. It feels too light, too plastic,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 16

I just don't like the AR-15. It feels too light, too plastic, too tacticool, and it just...feels like airsoft. Is there something wrong with me? Does anyone else feel the same?
>>
Same.
>>
>>33863646
Nope.
You're not alone.

I have to wonder how many people drop shooting as a sport just because ARs and Glocks are so boring and they spent sonmuch cash that they just don't try anything fun.

It saddens me.
>>
Your tastes are your tastes, anon. Even if I didn't live in a ban state, I'd still favor the Mini-14 over the AR just because I like its aesthetics better. You may find similar things. Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>33863646
>>33863841
Now kiss.
>>
I completely disagree, but it's probably because I'm not an AR guy.

I collect boltguns, in all forms. so when I handle an AR, it feels to me like the the most cutting-edge modern weapon of war that the modern soldier carries. it's extremely light and fires a low recoiling cartridge. to you, that makes it feel like a toy, but to me, that's a fitting testament to how truly modern it is.

I agree that they're boring, but they could only feel cheap and flimsy to someone who doesn't regularly shoot 8lb bolt-action infantry rifles like I do.
>>
>>33863853

I was at the range the other day, and I saw some young guy in fancy safety sunglasses that looked like they cost more than my SKS, firing an AR chambered in .22 at a target about five to ten yards away from him, aiming for the head and boasting to his friends.

It was depressing on a level I wasn't prepared for. I've always firmly believed that deciding other people are having fun wrong is spergy and obnoxious and tried to avoid it, and reasoned that everyone learns guns in their own way, but this tested me. It tested me harshly.
>>
>>33863646
it's a phase

I was adamant about making an FAL my first semi-auto rifle, somewhat in spite of ARs. Once you try to lug one of those things around you learn to appreciate an AR.
>>
>>33863646

I feel the same way, I felt I was lied to about the hype over it.

I was caught off guard by how tiny an AR is irl.
>>
>>33863989
but that's what's so great an amazing about it! don't you see?

that fact that a weapon of war can be so nimble and compact is nothing short of inspiring
>>
>>33863646
lol wtf get a 20" heavy profile barrel then
>>
>>33864000
>so small!
>so much power!
>>
>>33863646
I like ARs but I like mine simple. I have a particular hard-on for the A2 style (not that "A2" with the removable carry handle crap).
>>
I like ARs for what they are but theyre far from my favorite. Bolt action with wood and steel will always be my favorite but i understand each has its place.

Just like i like pretty much all rifles over pistols
>>
File: 1483839032057.jpg (224KB, 1024x577px) Image search: [Google]
1483839032057.jpg
224KB, 1024x577px
>>33863646
>>33863841
fpbp plastic airshit get out of /k/
AK superior steel and wood for real man of gun
>>
>>33863646

Well you can always make it heavier by adding useful and useless stuff.
>>
>>33863646
AR-15s are barbie dolls for manchildren to play with it and add shit to.
>>
>>33864817
>back in my day we didn't need no fancy auto loading rifles and we sure as hell never needed those self contained cartridges - all they'll do is make you waste your ammunition. After all, how is anyone going to carry more than 40 rounds of .69 caliber ammo?
>>
>>33863646

It might feel weird at first, but when you have to carry it as part of a 90lbs loadout, you'll be glad it's that light.
>>
Feel the same way OP. Sold mine and don't miss it. It was bland and expensive and didn't shoot particularly well.

I get why people like them, but there are lots of other things I'd rather tie the money up for.
>>
>>33863646
that was the point of the design
its made of aluminum and plastic
>>
>>33864449
This, my AR heavy for a standard AR.
>>
>>33864784

AKs are unreliable and outdated compared to modern and well-built ARs and nothing you wannabe-slavs do or say will change that simple fact.
>>
>>33864508
A1 is triangle handguards fixed carry handle
A2 is round handguards fixed carry handle
A3 is round handguards removeable handle
A4 is round handguards flat top

>>33865908
They're cheap as shit now mayne
Not defending them but it's one of the cheapest semi autos available
>>
>>33866285
As someone who thinks AKs are outdated and ARs are simply better for combat, you're a fucking faggot and that mud test means jack shit
>>
>>33866713
Simplistic ARs are dirt cheap, sure. A tolerable trigger / optic / mount / handguard / sling / light adds up pretty quickly though.

My rifle wasn't anything super fancy by most standards and I was into it for well over a grand. That's a ton of money for a range toy given the price of a Glock 19/26 or Shield or J-frame.

I totally understand why people like them, definitely not saying they're bad guns. Just didn't serve much of a purpose for me at the price.
>>
Same feeling. My ar was a tack driver, easy to handle, simple to break down, and extremely customizable. But it wasn't fun for me. So I traded it for a .454 revolver and got a lever gun to match. Now I have heavy, high recoil funs that I can't customize and are complex (at least the lever gun is) and I'm happier than a pig in mud.
>>
File: P1070373.jpg (1MB, 1581x1367px) Image search: [Google]
P1070373.jpg
1MB, 1581x1367px
>>33863646
Nothing wrong with you. It's a great gun, but just bores the hell out of me to use.
It doesn't help that 556 is the least fun out of the main 5 nato/slav calibers IMO.
That's why I shoot every one of these calibers +12ga in either an ak or czechnology.
>>
File: AKS74.jpg (61KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
AKS74.jpg
61KB, 640x425px
I like my AR
I like to do 3 gun and moving and shooting stuff on my land
But it is boring AF, my SLR104 AK74 clone is WAY more fun to shoot, and load and oper8 with inna woods

It has a lot more character than the AR
The AR is like a civic si, it's tolerable and ok to drive with a 5 speed and is fine in weather, the AK is like an old turbo sports car that makes the same power but weighs less and has better handling, my 74 is the Mr2 sw20 of the rifles I own
>>
yea ARs are fuckin gay dude i wish the military would get a new weapon like the scar or something or make a new one. the slav guns are way cooler
>>
>>33866921
You can build a free float with optic and decent trigger and stock for $800

Hell I did it go $500 but that was cheap parts and did my own trigger job
>>
>>33863860
LEWD
>>
File: loliii.jpg (447KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
loliii.jpg
447KB, 1600x1067px
>>33866723
>that mud test means jack shit

Explain. I'm still on the fence whether to get an AK or AR.
>>
>>33868635
>I'm still on the fence whether to get an AK or AR.
You seriously need to just go to a gunshop and hold them both.
Or preferably have a gunfag friend that can let you fire one, or both preferably.
I think aks are more fun personally, but an ar could make a better paper puncher if scopes & tight groups are your main objective.
>>
the only thing i dont like about ARs is the 'sproing' noise from the recoil spring after every shot. makes it feel like im shooting a nerf gun.
>>
>>33868718
So you don't choose the gun. The gun chooses you?
>>
>>33868816
Sort of, yeah.
In the end, you should own both. But start with the best gun for your personal tastes.
>>
>>33863646
>Is there something wrong with me?
yes, you're a fudd
>>
>>33863986
This. I used to hate ARs and Glocks when I was a noguns underage b&. Then I started actually shooting and realized that they're popular for a reason.
>>
>>33868731
That's the reason I bought a JP silent capture

>>33868718
As a guy who doesn't much care for ARs I'd say an AR
Its cheaper, there's more parts, its more customizable, and better ergos for safety cheek weld, etc
99% of the aftermarket shit for AKs is AR stuff badly shoehorned in
>>
>>33868844
But what did that guy meant by "that mud test means jack shit?" I saw that video of the AK vs AR mud test; but mud will fuck up any gun if you're unlucky enough.
>>
>>33864817
t. sourgrapes poorfag
>>
>>33868878
That's exactly what it means
The mud test doesn't mean anything since mud inside the gun will fuck anything
>>
>>33868635
It was full submersion in mud and rigorous application to the action. AKs are not as closed as ARs so more mud got in. And equivalent test on reliability would be to submerge both, cycle the action, then attempt to fire.

But an AK is more susceptible to getting things into the action like mud if you dropped it than an AR. However the looser tolerances help out typically after doing a quick cycle as well as dust/sand build up (which is much more common). ARs can get really finicky if sand or dust works it's way in as the action has much tighter tolerances but is more resistance to stuff entering the action to begin with.
>>
>>33863646
Then you've probably never really done anything with it, and are just a range rat.

I have my beat around AR that's kept for the purpose of taking out on long hikes and dragging through the woods. I kept it purposefully cheap when I built it, knowing it'd be banging around trees and occasionally dropped.

Yet that fucker, for all it's scratches, is about as hardy as any weapon I've owned for all the shit I put it through. I've cracked wooden stocked rifles with the same treatment.

As for weight, it's a God send for anyone who actually does anything with their rifles instead of just finger fucking them at a store or a range.

Fudds are always going to hate improvement. Period. They won't have a solid real world reason, and when you explain to them the benefits of what they bitch about, they just ignore it and double down. Some people here wanted other rifles out of spite for the AR, I build ARs out of spite for fudds.
>>
>>33867790
God I hate summer K when the underage come around...
>>
>>33868925
I'm imagining that you can clear an AK just by urinating on it and shaking it out, while an AR will need a dedicated cleaning kit, liquids, and oils to get her working again. Correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>33869133
You're wrong. The AK's reliability is overhyped. Part Russian propaganda, part slavaboos trying to justify their treason.
>>
>>33869171
I know. I acknowledge the fact that mud can easily get in an AK, and its construction is ruggedly simple allowing for quick and easy clearing. But you'll have to rely on luck hoping mud and pebbles won't get into the breach, which will guarantee a malfunction in any rifle.

That's why I leaning toward an AR a bit, under the saying that "an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure." But I'm discouraged by it's complicated construction, but easily replaceable parts make up for it.
>>
>>33864784
I like wood and steel, but AKs have shit tier aesthetics.
>>
>>33869269
It's really not that complicated. Have you ever taken one apart?
>>
>>33869297
Yes. Its construction and design is undeniably foolproof and well-engineered. But it's still much more complex than an AK.

But a couple grains of sand in there will surely cause trouble, if they can get in there in the first place thanks to its tighter tolerances.
>>
>>33869339
>But it's still much more complex than an AK.
Not that much more, especially with modern trigger groups. KE Arms makes a trigger group that is almost completely sealed, making it nearly impossible for anything to interfere. The bolt carrier technically has one more moving part (the cam pin) but in practice this does nothing to affect reliability.

The AR also has more captive pieces. The recoil spring is captive in the buffer tube. The upper pivots instead of being removed. The bolt carrier is held together by the cam pin when removed. The receiver pins themselves are captive. The AK may be technically simpler, but the AR is much more user-friendly, which is more important to you as a civilian.
>>
File: ps_IMG_2048-660x440.jpg (15KB, 660x440px) Image search: [Google]
ps_IMG_2048-660x440.jpg
15KB, 660x440px
>>33869466
forgot pic

This design actually makes it more reliable than the AK trigger group, because it's impossible for grit or dirt to get in between moving surfaces.
>>
>>33869466
Now you've convinced me to get an AR instead on an AK. Congratulations.

Carbine length or full length? Looking at this chart, 5.56 is best for 20-inch barrels, but carbines are easier to carry and better for CQB.
>>
>>33869569
Really depends on what you want to do with it. Hunting? Competition? Prepping? Home Defense? Do you expect to use it while wearing armor?

That chart applies to 55gr bullets. New, heavier loadings of the 5.56 cartridge give better performance out of short barrels.
>>
>>33866723
Sorry slavboo but at the end of the day the AR is superior to the ak.
>>
>>33869657
Unfortunately, home defense and prepping are the most realistic use for a rifle in my country. Hunting and competition here is almost nonexistent.

I guess it'll be a carbine. Shame, I like the 20-inch aesthetic so much better.
>>
I was never a big fan of AR15s, but I only bought one because it was what I could afford right out of high school when I got into guns. I got rid of it a long time ago and never wanna go back, they're atrocious and boring guns.
>>
>>33869775
t. Hipster
>>
>>33863646
Well since your only a range queen it doesn't matter the weight but people who don't spend their time shooting at a range appreciate the lightness for carrying in the mountains and hills.
>>
>>33869794
call me whatever you want but I will never touch an AR15 again. I hate them so much I hope democrats ban them
>>
>>33869730
What country, if you're willing to reveal that?

I hate the M4 look too, but fortunately in this day and age you're not limited to it. Get a carbine length barrel with a mid-length gas system and free-float full-length handguard. Depending on your build you might be better off with a fixed stock as well, telescoping stocks are really only useful for manlets, women, fatties and people wearing heavy plate carriers.
>>
>>33869862
You might want to talk to a shrink, anon. That level of irrational hatred and desire to fuck over other people can't be healthy. You should get some help before you shoot up a school or something.
>>
>>33863876
This, they AR is a great weapon, however, it is pretty generic due to its overwhelming prominence. The only reason anon sees it the way he does is because it is one of the most prolific and modern weapons on the market to date.
>>
>>33869294
This!!! I hate the AK's aesthetics, it reeks of conscription.
>>
>>33863646
i dont feel that way about ARs but mine is all metal except the furniture.

BUT I SURE AS HELL DO FEEL THAT WAY ABOUT POLYMER FRAMED PISTOLS GOD DAMMIT !!!!

Metal frame pistols forever !!!!
>>
>>33869863
Philippines. Conveniently, AR-15's are somewhat popular in the civilian sector and the military and police uses sexy vintage M-16's and most of their other weapons are chambered in 5.56. But our government is thinking of signing weapons deals with China and Russia, so it's possible we might switch to slavshit, but it's unlikely since we are also warming up to The Trump.

I'm not a manlet, but I want my manlet family to be able to use the rifle too; so I'll be getting the adjustable stock. Shame, it sounds really satisfying to buttstroke someone in the face with a fixed stock.
>>
>>33869862
How does it feel to be autistic?
>>
>>33863646
I have the same feeling after shooting my dads ar-15. I opt for no muzzle brake because the lack of recoil already is enough for it to be boring. Only time I had a good amount of fun with it was at a 3-gun competition.
That is when the ar-15 is fun.
I prefer more manual guns, like bolt-actions or my ptr91. Which is why I am getting a fal next.
Maybe try an ar-10? I bet that feels a little bit better.
Also run more metal, like an aluminum handguard.... etc
>>
>>33863646

I hopped on the SKS bandwagon years ago for $150, and even now it still shoots just fine. I never had a time where I went "gee this gun sucks; I wish I had something better". I will fully admit the SKS is going to be beaten out by modern firearms, but I've never needed something better.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the "tacticool" AR-15 look, but giving it a nice classic look with a carry handle and the old cone makes it perfectly acceptable in my book.
>>
File: custom wood rail panels.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
custom wood rail panels.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>33870038
Me too. I also hate the 'tacticool' look. How do I make my rifle look 'practicool?'

I'm thinking of getting wooden rail panels like pic related. So fucking sexy.
>>
>>33863646

I feel the same about glocks.
>>
File: 3943.jpg (43KB, 750x387px) Image search: [Google]
3943.jpg
43KB, 750x387px
>>33870102

I have a personal bias to the Colt SP1's design. Wood looks a tad silly to me on an AR.
>>
File: my penis is erect.jpg (222KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
my penis is erect.jpg
222KB, 800x600px
>>33870102
That, plus the wooden grip and and buttstock of pic related. Just imagining what it'll look like makes feel moist inside.

What does /k/ think of my fantasy raifu?
>>
>>33863646
Not alone OP, I feel the same way, I got bored with my AR very quickly and never had a blast shooting it like I do with my AK or even my 10/22.

I don't think ARs are bad guns by any stretch of the imagination, I just prefer other rifles in different calibers.
>>
>>33868925
Tolerances mean nothing
Its about the clearances
There's a ton of room in an AK receiver
>>
>>33869481
They have drop in AK triggers as well
And even with shit on the seat of an AK trigger it will still work
Double hook yo
>>
>>33869973
Magpul makes telescoping stocks with a locking system that's sturdy enough for buttstroking.
>>
>>33870421
>They have drop in AK triggers as well
Yeah, shitty ones.

Competition drives the trigger market. AKs just aren't competitive outside of matches like Red Oktober where you're limited to slavshit.
>>
I feel the same, anon. Grew up shooting my fuddguns, SKS, and my dads CETME, and my god the first time i fired an AR the only thing i could think was stuff like "jesus christ this is so small, wtf i can hear the buffer spring, this doesnt feel right". Then a few years later i bought one *because* theyre so lightweight and easy to handle. I feel like using an AR in an actual defensive situation rather than rangetime makes a lot of sense, you can quickly move it around like youre a goddamn video game character

I still want to get a solid A2 style buttstock for it, and I'm saving up for a fullsize FAL so i can have semiauto fun with a "real" rifle. But, saying ARs are boring and toylike compared to other guns isnt an unfair statement.
>>
>>33863646
Get wood furniture for it
>>
They are lightweight and boring to shoot by design.
Easy to carry around and if you are actually shooting at things/getting shot at the fact it is so boring and easy to use will let you focus on the situation at hand and not your rifle.

The sproing sounds stupid though.

>>33870037
>I am getting a fal next
You will enjoy it.
>>
>I just don't like the AR-15. It feels too light, too plastic, too tacticool, and it just...feels like airsoft. Is there something wrong with me? Does anyone else feel the same?

No, I totally get it, I felt the same way until I built a rifle length AR with a collapsible stock and triangular handguards. What you said is also the reason why I sold my vz2008, what I'm saying is a large part of it not feeling like a toy is having your rifle be rifle length.
>>
>>33863646
felt the same way when I picked it up my first m4. but, you train with it enough you start loving it.

often I've found that the very things I hate about something turn into the things I love later down the road.

>lightweight
>how it loads
>mag shape and size
>after market parts
>ect

but really, it's hard not to enjoy anything that you can pull the trigger and it goes bang. if you can't enjoy the pew you're probably an insurable cunt.
>>
>>33869569
That graph is somewhat nonsensical.

These numbers make a lot more sense to me.

And yeah, 20 inch is the way to go if you don't need it to be extra compact or something.
>>
File: 15314799_1.jpg (53KB, 1200x398px) Image search: [Google]
15314799_1.jpg
53KB, 1200x398px
Well yeah it does the job with the least amount of nonsense possible, that can be a bit boring yes.
>>
File: K1DcFga.png (717KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
K1DcFga.png
717KB, 1366x768px
>>33863646
>posting best girl with shitty opinions
>not appreciating m a x i m u m weight savings in guns
Cease.
>>
>>33863646
same for me
you're probably an AK-fag or at least Kalash-curious
>>
>If you don't luv thuh AY-ARRR FIFTEEN you're a FUDD and a RANGE QUEEN
>Now excuse me as I struggle to lift my weakshit plastic toy gun with its babby caliber and pretend I'm military and this is about efficiency

This thread, fucking kek.
>>
>>33870649

This. The difference between a sexy cone-nosed AR, possibly with wood furniture, and an ultra-tacticool lightweight fuccboi gun composed of rails and ugly shit is humongous.
>>
>>33868923
The whole concept of mud test is nothing more than a bit of fun, but autists, shitposters and edgy fucks like to use it for more.

If one would actually want to do a mud test, which would produce something that might be actually useful from reliability viewpoint one would need at least 10 AKs and similar number of ARs from manufacturers of comparable quality. Then repeat test of various scenarios with rifles with each rifle at least 10 times.

Mud tests scenarios should include at least:
1. Mag inserted, loaded, safety on (to simulate situation when contact has not been expected).
2. Mag inserted, loaded, safety off (to simulate situation of being dropped during battle).
3. Empty mag inserted, simulation for situation of being dropped after emptying mag.
4. Mag removed, safety off (to simulate being dropped during changing mag).
etc...

And if rifle fails to fire one should test if it can be cleaned enough for it to start working in:
1. 15 seconds
2. 30 seconds
3. 60 seconds
4. 2 minutes
5. 5 minutes

That kind of testing might actually produce data that could be trusted statistics-wise.
>>
>>33876329
What does "SD" mean?
>>
>>33878005
Standard deviation.
>>
File: Carbines4.jpg (368KB, 887x738px) Image search: [Google]
Carbines4.jpg
368KB, 887x738px
>>33863646
They never were my favorite rifles either. They look to spindly and anorexic for me. That said, with the possibility of Hillary being president I built one just to have one.

I like mine. I wish I had built one sooner. I had fun building it. I have fun shooting it. I am glad that I now understand and appreciate how they work, but when I walk into a store and see three big racks of M4-looking AR's I want to nope out. The shit is so boring to look at.

As cliche as it may be, my AR is basically waiting for SHTF. Until then it won't get worked as hard as my WASR.
>>33870421
>They have drop in AK triggers as well
I put an ALG AKT in my WASR and I fucking hate it. The recoiling BCG catches the fucking dis-connector and causes trigger slap like a motherfucker. Needs modification.
>>
>i dont like ar's
don't buy one then
>just shot my friends ar..kind of want now
>>
>>33878142
Please explain further. I'm retarded.
>>
>>33869294
>>33869940
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1493377168386.jpg (177KB, 635x611px) Image search: [Google]
1493377168386.jpg
177KB, 635x611px
>>33876424

Sayaka a shit.
>>
>>33878221
The average varying fps of the rounds.
>>
File: B5Vq5pnIIAEvRje.png (305KB, 978x543px) Image search: [Google]
B5Vq5pnIIAEvRje.png
305KB, 978x543px
>>33878221
The average varying fps of the rounds.

>>33878529
We know Kyoko.
>>
>>33866285
Bait , major bait.
>>
>>33863876
my thoughts exactly. always been an AK guy and felt the same way as OP until I actually owned one.
>>
>>33876778
>this level of delusion
Cry more slavaboo.
>>
>>33863646
Get an AR-10 then.
>>
>>33879476

Sorry you have thin arms, princess.
>>
>>33863646
I feel the same way about polymer pistols

when you get a nice steel frame pistol or revolver you really get the sense you are holding a fine piece of equipment. something about the weight makes it feel better in the hand. Now I won't claim that steel frame guns are superior because they aren't. Polymer pistols are objectively better but I do enjoy my old style steel frame guns
>>
>>33881985
Get a USP
Its the best of both worlds
>>
>>33863646
Just buy AR without RIS/RAS or rail attatchment system.
>>
>>33864494
>Quoting Isabella from CoC
>>
>>33882035
Get a USP Compact. CIA approved.
>>
>>33883737
bane?
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.