[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/. I don't know whether to ask you or /pol/ this (those

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: desiretoknowmore.jpg (41KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
desiretoknowmore.jpg
41KB, 640x512px
Hey /k/. I don't know whether to ask you or /pol/ this (those fucks will probably just ignore me) but let's say an EMP were to hit the US. Those such a weapon exist that it could knock out every piece of electronic in the nation? Lights going off, cars shutting down, planes falling from the sky, etc. And if so how long would it all last? Three days? A week? A month (would this one even be possible)? And also how would the population react? Realistically speaking of course. The civilians, the police/military, the government, etc.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>33860861
We would all completely lose out shit without our phones and TVs and computers and consoles. The military is coordinated through largely electronic means, as is the government, althouth I would imagine their devices are protected against such things by some means, or that they have backups that aren't reliant on circuitry, and have contingencies in place to deal with life until comms are restored. But civilians- especially soft ones who live in cities- will lose their fucking minds.
>>
>>33860861
EMP doesn't really work like in your videogames
>>
>>33860861
The US accidentally set off an EMP over the Pacific ocean in the 1960's. It knocked out all power in San Diego for a few hours.
nobody cared
>>
File: image004.gif (31KB, 565x435px) Image search: [Google]
image004.gif
31KB, 565x435px
there was a senator who tried to do EMP awareness day, a high altitude airburst nuke would set us back by months if not years, and casue the economy to be destroyed... This was a combat strategy during the cold war, where an initial burst would be used to kill all comms (why the internet now exists) and disable the ability to launch aircraft, some aircraft today are shielded due to operations in high radio wave saturation areas, but overall, if it takes batteries or a wire, count on it not working forever as a rule of thumb. The biggest issue is the widespread use of smaller circuit boards in modern tech, which is unshileded, and more susceptible to emp

http://www.heritage.org/defense/report/emp-awareness-day-the-first-step-averting-disaster
>>
>>33860861

It would shut off all the guns, too.
>>
File: 1490693315981.png (402KB, 452x510px) Image search: [Google]
1490693315981.png
402KB, 452x510px
>>33862422

only if they have commifornia smart locks
>>
>>33862421
Not how EMP works.
>>
>>33860861
don't worry son, your dildo will still work.
>>
>>33860957
The military has Faraday cages everywhere I'm sure
>>
File: Oppie EMP.png (209KB, 1853x931px) Image search: [Google]
Oppie EMP.png
209KB, 1853x931px
Here's a post from the board's best nuke guy. IIRC, when someone doxxed him, they found that he worked in the nuclear field. He stopped tripping a while ago partly because people were assholes and others worshiped him as a god.

I'm not too worried about it. Realistically, there would probably be mass panic due to "lol no normiebook or tee-vee."
>>
>>33860861
this is a pretty good question, and >>33862421
is on the right track but not QUITE there, so let me explain. Emps effect electronics, planes in the air that are not shielded will not fall out of the sky as electric power is not what makes them work, a combustion reaction is, however, if it has spark plugs or relies on electricity for start up, expect capacitors that store energy to power things to be shorted. The MOST vulnerable things will be those with the most circuitry, as the severity an EMP has is greatly effected by how much curcuitry it travels through. Your computer alone unplugged and unpowered won't be the problem, your computer plugged into the millions of miles of circuitry of the power grip, and the miles and miles of circuitry connected to those miles and miles... Different story. Anyhow, computers will be most vulnerable when powered, your NVGs or red dot optic will not be effected NEARLY as severely as they have relatively little circuitry in them. Engines powered by a non electric combustion will be unaffected. As for how people react? Well, people who have encyclopedias will be at an advantage, simple electronics not powered will also be unaffected. Those who are dependent on their computerized shit WILL be found wanting and unable to feed their dependency. that said, manufacturing of electronics will probably continue and a recovery can be expected to have at least began within the next couple years as the industry of electronics rebuilds the supply of power containment units. All circuitry in place will still be good, just power retaining items need replacement.
>>
File: 1493339908500.jpg (55KB, 440x341px) Image search: [Google]
1493339908500.jpg
55KB, 440x341px
>>33862514

He is correct on those points, genreally speaking, any disruption can cause the economy to collapse, moreso now that everything relies on the IoT (becasue your coffee maker needs to read you out hte trending twitter posts) >>33862537 was spot on, anything damaged would likely need to be replaced, and in order to repair infrastructure, we currently rely heavily on the internet and technology such as computers to make decisions. People would need to do things with their hands, and that would destroy society 10 times worse than the initial effect of the EMP
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.