[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how good are benchmade knives ? really thinking about getti

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 12

File: 15080-1_15080-2_pair_1000x1000.jpg (92KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
15080-1_15080-2_pair_1000x1000.jpg
92KB, 1000x1000px
how good are benchmade knives ?

really thinking about getting one of these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pUc-W39mFI
>>
>>33856880
Benchmade makes quality knives. Crooked River is bretty gud but massive. If you haven't held one I would before buying it. In that price range there are a lot of good knives.
>>
>>33856880
Dunno about that particular model, but I own a Benchmade Adamas and an Osborne. Overall, great knives. Great fit and finish, durable, hold an edge reasonably well (S30VN and their D2, that is. Dunno about their other offerings). However, I have had an issue with the axis lock on the adamas; the omega springs completely failed on it. The bar just kind of slid back and forth. However, I just recently sent it in for repair and if the thread is still up when i get the package back this evening, I'll let you know how the customer service is. (So far they haven't charged me for repairs or sharpening)
>>
File: 31cd06a0d0.jpg (22KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
31cd06a0d0.jpg
22KB, 750x500px
i need a new premium /out/, /edc/, /hunting/ folder. and i really like the design.

used an pohl force bravo one outdoor so far, but i want something a little more premium that isnt an overpriced piece of chris reeve shit
>>
File: IMG_4438.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4438.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I like mine.
>>
i was about to buy an mike five in bocote, but then i discovered the crooked river

>>33857217
i have to admit: i like the simple design of the 940 but they always look kind of cheap, if compared with wooden handle scales.
>>
File: IMG_4465.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4465.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>33857244
Then you havn't held one. Nothing about anodized aluminum looks for feels cheap in person.
>>
File: pf_mfb_001.jpg (150KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
pf_mfb_001.jpg
150KB, 1024x683px
>>33857293
i like some wooden furniture on my hunting guns and knives just makes them look more gentleman like.
its just my personal opinion
>>
They're fantastic, but BM is inconsistent with factory sharpening. Sometimes they pop hairs, other times they're toothy.

The Osborne series are fucking perfection.
>>
File: IMG_1078.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1078.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>33856880
Honestly for the money Benchmade does not impress me much. They carry like a $20-$40 premium over brands like Spyderco and ZT, and I really don't see why.

They are generally high end, and nicely made, but honestly they lack some of the quality control and refinement you should expect from knives of that price range, especially considering they use average or bellow materials for the price. I'm talking little stuff, like blade centering and play, little things that don't effect the functionality, but other brands get right for cheaper.

I, and many others, think the 940 line is the best regular folder BM makes. I've handled a few for sharpening, and I have a return customer with a 940-1 (from pic related). It's a great knife, but I agree with Nick Shabazz when he says, something along the lines of, "for $300, you are being ripped off".

Just note, in my pic related, that BM is the most expensive by $50. And I just don't see why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5KLc12VGqA
>>
meh for the price.
>>
i have 3 benchmades. 2 out of 3 broke within 6 months
>>
File: 20170504_143226.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170504_143226.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
I got a benchmade Triage knife. Holds an edge pretty well so far and it has a hook to shear clothing (haven't had to use it as of now). Also has a glassbreaker in case you need to break glass.
>>
I'd get a spyderco
>>
File: bm_14905SBT[1].jpg (107KB, 550x353px) Image search: [Google]
bm_14905SBT[1].jpg
107KB, 550x353px
>>33856880
I love my HK Auto-Axis, but can't carry it anywhere.
>>
>>33859341
Bull shit. Unless you have no clue how to properly use a knife, or are stupid and bought 3 shit fake chink ones and thought they are real.

I'm not a big fan of Benchmade, I think they are overpriced, but they are not that crap. Not to mention they have a good warranty. If you actually did have two break, and were not grossly abusing them, Benchmade would replace them on warranty.
>>
Iv bought a knife once a year for years. Carried it for 1 year and replaced. Bought a Benchmade 710 2 years ago, don't see a need for anything else. It's damn near perfect.

Only thing about Benchmade axis lock gets gunked up after a few months of pocket time, and clean/oil it back to new.
>>
File: IMG_5469.jpg (543KB, 2016x1169px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5469.jpg
543KB, 2016x1169px
>>33856880

They aight, but Spyderco is better for less money, though they have nothing that is like the 940-1 Osborne.
>>
>>33862159
>Spyderco better

I'd like to see a FRN knife someone carried for more than a few years... Have yet to as a old delica/endura that's been actually used for years, instead of collected, and pulled out a couple times a year.
>>
File: Spydercos.jpg (1MB, 2133x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Spydercos.jpg
1MB, 2133x2448px
>>33862286
Why, do you doubt FRN would last a year or something?

I don't own any FRN Spydercos (atm, I sold the Squeak and Centofante in pic related) only G-10 and Titanium, but I know quite a few people who carry and Endura or Delica, or even a Lady bug. My ex carries a purple ladybug on her keychain that I gave her 3 years ago, it still looks pretty much new (after cleaning gunk off the blade) besides a little wear on the back of the handle from rubbing against keys.

I have a friend who has been carrying a brown Endura for 4 years now, he rotates it with a Cold Steel Recon 1, last time I sharpened it for him, it looked in pretty good condition.

What makes you doubt it's not sturdy? There are tens of thousands of them sold every year, you honestly belive that every single one just stays in a collection? And if they are used they will fall apart, yet they have such high ratings. They aren't even that expensive, to the point that most users would keep them as a safe queen.

Have you ever actually handled one? They are pretty sturdy, but yes they are light use EDC knives.
>>
File: 20170504_213358.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170504_213358.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
In my experience, Benchmade knives are pretty good, but might not be worth as much as you're spending. They are quite nice, but you're gonna pay for it. The warranty and customer service at Benchmade is also quite good.

Also, a warning about the axis lock: the omega springs will break if you play with your knives too much like a retard.

t. retard who's broken multiple omega springs
>>
File: image.jpg (205KB, 1280x700px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
205KB, 1280x700px
>>33862425
Not saying there awful knives; just saying I have never seen one used for years on end.
>>
>>33857201
Get a fixed blade mate, you'll fuck a folder trying to split wood with it.
>>
>>33856880
I buy benchmade regularly. Good quality knives without breaking the bank.
>>
>>33862550
This.

Also, I love my RSK Mk1 (Doug Ritter griptillian) and carry it everyday.
>>
>>33862550

A lot of people carry folders while /out/, actually prefer that over a fixed blade. They do all the finer/smaller details with it, they usually partner that with either a larger fixed blade or a hatchet / midsize axe.
>>
>>33856880
Goddamn anon, I have a few benchmades for diff purposes and I think you just gave me a solid general purpose/slightly more formal wear carry option to my 710. that stabilized wood handle looks excellent.
>>
>>33862550

please keep take your memes back to /out/
>>
>>33861953
the axis locks broke on them, which are essentially guitar strings, and is an insanely common problem with BM

also, "fuck yeah man ur doin it rong" isnt gonna solve anything. banging it on concrete all day long wouldnt break 2 out of 3 benchmades within 6 months
>>
>>33856880
In my opinion, benchmade has one of the finest assisted open setups.
>>
>>33862550
>Split wood with a knife
>>
>>33864332
Do you not?
>>
>>33856880
Benchmade is probably my overall favorite knife company and the axis lock is GOAT. They are a little overpriced though I don't find other companies much better in this regard. I've never had a problem with fit and finish other than they make their pocket clip screws too long if you really crank them down in there. Doesn't affect anything, just an aesthetic annoyance. The only company I'd say does a noticeably better job at fit and finish is Zero Tolerance.

With that said it really depends on how much you like the the Axis lock. In my opinion it is just the most convenient lock for an EDC with how fast it is to open and close it while being fairly strong.

>>33864142
Not him but I own about seven Benchmade knives currently I and I haven't had an issue with a single one. My 943 is what I use most days and I do nothing but flip it while I'm on my laptop for the past 2-3 years I've owned it. And while I've seen a couple of pictures of broken omega springs I'm hesitant to believe it's that common. The only thing I can think of is you either have bad luck or maybe where you live the springs corrode faster. It's fairly dry in where I'm at so rust and similar issues aren't a problem.
>>
Just get a $2 ozark trail knife from walmart.

The blade will cut almost as good and you will have saved money
>>
>>33865048
>The blade will cut almost as good
...for about five hours. Then you'll wish you'd spent the extra money on a good knife.
>>
>>33865048
fuck off. they're not even v ground.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.