[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm pretty new to the whole gun thing. Recently got my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

So I'm pretty new to the whole gun thing. Recently got my first (pic related). I'm trying to decide what ammo to load each tube with. I'm pretty sure I want the Winchester PDX1S in one tube - that's those slugs that segment upon contact with targets, and look like they are devastating. I think that a 00 buckshot of some sort is ideal. The Federal PD132 buckshot has really great reviews, but that's in many ways because of the tight spread, and I'm not sure that I need that when I have a slug already loaded. Thoughts?

Also, shotgun general, I'm curious what /k/ thinks about Remington 870 vs. the Mossberg line too.
>>
>>33851126
I've never seen this firearm and RIS reveals nothing. Whatcha got there, OP?
>>
>>33851218

That's a KelTec KSG anon.
>>
>>33851218
Hello newfriend
>>
>inb4 200+ replies
>>
>>33851232
Just because I haven't seen something doesn't make me new. Been shooting 30 years and own 15 firearms. You sound like a PC gamer.
>>
>>33851218
It's a FAMAS, Anon.
>>
>>33851218
I got a Kel Tec KSG. Pic isn't mine btw, but I did get the same AFG from Magpul for it (someone snapped a VFG and blew a few digits off). It's very compact, so I can go navigate doorways and around corners without lowering the gun, which I imagine should be a pretty huge plus.

I ask the question because it has two parallel mag tubes that you can choose to feed from, so you can pick your ammo on the fly.
>>
>>33851126

The PDX weighs about 1 1/8 oz of pellets. I have turkey loads that are at 1 5/8 oz.

Keep looking for a heavy buck in #1

I like that slugs can punch through cover. I wouldnt want them to fragment. If thats your angle, you might as well fill both tubes with them
>>
>>33851449
I'll look more into the PDX1S to make sure, but some reviews I watched showed that it can punch through hard materials effectively without fragmentation (behaving as a standard 1 oz slug at 1600 fps would), and even fragment in soft hydraulic materials afterwards. If it slows down from hitting too many walls, it sticks together, and buries in the gel like like a normal slug. I don't see a big downside other than a somewhat higher price.
>>
1)Federal Vitalshok P158-00

15 pellets of 00buck in a 3" shell. That is roughly 1 7/8 oz load.

Also, no flightcontrol wad, so you might geta bit wider spread,
though at anything close quarters the pattern is gonna stay pretty tight.

2) Federal Vitalshok PFC157-00 which is about 1 1/2 oz in a 3" shell. This is the flightcontrol wad...sortof my sweetspot for the Auto 5 Magnum.

Keep everything chocked IC if using flightcontrol, Full if using regular patterning pellets.

Not sure about frangilbe slugs. I shoot slugs to make giant holes, not to break up when it hits something.
>>
>>33851577
>I'll look more into the PDX1S to make sure, but some reviews I watched showed that it can punch through hard materials effectively without fragmentation

Sounds nice actually, if you want spread to compliment the slugs, get something very heavy and high velocity, and use a cylinder or IC choke. The high velocity tends to break up the pattern.

They make a high density vitalshok with flightcontrol for hogs. might be something to consider if you feel like it.
>>
File: 546457567647.png (135KB, 680x750px) Image search: [Google]
546457567647.png
135KB, 680x750px
>>33851126
>Angled foregrip
>On a ksg
You should load slugs so you don't reduce your entire hand into mince meat.
>>
>>33851688
Thanks for the suggestions! How is the recoil on those Vitalshoks, they look like they pack a lot of power? I won't pretend to know much about chokes, but I think a somewhat wider spread is good if I already have slugs for things further out than 25 yards.

As far as the segmented slugs, I've been watching the gel tests, and I like how they dump a colossal amount of energy into those three 12"-18" paths, along with huge cavitation. Probably wouldn't use them at a range after I'm satisfied they work well with the KSG, though.

Here's an example of someone doing a gel test with them (and one other kinda nifty fragmenting slug):
https://youtu.be/ANUnP_dfEyo?t=2m37s
>>
File: Frog.gif (11KB, 88x89px) Image search: [Google]
Frog.gif
11KB, 88x89px
>>33852040
kek, the people who blew their hands off with this toy all were using vertical grips
>>
>>33851126
>I'm curious what /k/ thinks about Remington 870 vs. the Mossberg line too.
They're cheaper, more reliable, and less likely to maim you then any of kel-tec's shoddily made overly complicated meme guns.
>>
>>33851126
Remington 870 is dogshit unless it's from a decade ago. Mossberg is pretty solid.

>>33851274
Well maybe you aren't very active in the shooting scene, that thing made the rounds a few years ago all over the web and media.

It's a pump-action shotgun with one barrel and two magazine tubes, a selector picks the tube to feed from. Bit of a gimmick, but most people are fascinated with them for the high capacity in a compact package. If you're using Aquila mini-shells you can fit an assload of shot in there.

>>33851393
That guy used a completely cheap and shitty, near airsoft tier VFG, he was a retard for expecting it to hold up.

>>33852234
>Remington
>reliable
Not compared to the KSG (which is damning it with faint praise, really). If you're getting failures to feed, you're shortchucking it.

>muh hand
Don't put toy parts on real guns.
>>
>>33852064
>How is the recoil on those Vitalshoks, they look like they pack a lot of power?

The High Density powershoks are brutal on recoil. Velocity rates at 1600fps, with no weight numbers that I can find. Id like to do some appliance destruction tests sometime, I bet they'd tear up a fridge pretty nicely.
>>
>>33851274
Try being less defensive about it. You can be new to /k/ and not new to guns. How the hell you could have been here more than a month and not seen a KSG idk
>>
>>33852267
That sounds great, you should make that a video. Mine has the extended recoil pad, but maybe I should still get a limbsaver over it if I go with those.

>>33852252
I know he used a crappy VFG, but I've heard other people have broken their bottom rail (which is plastic) using VFGs. If I find I don't like the feel after I practice with it, I'll get an aluminum bottom rail and a VFG.
>>
Get the metal rail for the lower picatinny rail
>>
>>33852234
remington a shit. i fired like three of those dragon's breath rounds out of my friend's 870, and the thing struggled to get a shot off after that
>>
File: 2017-03-31 03.01.47.jpg (614KB, 3004x2002px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-31 03.01.47.jpg
614KB, 3004x2002px
>>
>>33852432
Thats what I did. Trust me anon, the aluminum bottom ($60) was worth every penny. The KSG is a great shotgun. It just requires practice to get good with.
>>
Frankly I am a fan of the lighter buckshot loads. 12 gauge, when loaded to the hilt, gets pretty hefty in the recoil department. Alot of those mega heavy loads, especially slugs, and made with hunters in mind who will likely only fire a few shots. If you are going for a sustained fire defensive (Or recreational, for that matter) gun you might be better served with some of the lighter offerings.
If you are concerned with the efficacy of those loads on a defensive target, I think to say that it's not a problem is an understatement.

On a semi related note, I just took delivery of 100 rounds of S&B 2 3/4 inch 00 buck this morning. I have not shot them yet, so this is in no way a reccomendation, but SGammo had them in boxes of 25 for something like 38 crp, so I am intrested to see how this budget buck patterns.
>>
File: kel tec ksg.png (2MB, 1214x683px) Image search: [Google]
kel tec ksg.png
2MB, 1214x683px
you can find a picatinny mount ammo carrier on amazon if you're into that.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.