[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /k/, just bought pic related from an antique store for $20.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: File May 02, 7 07 04 PM.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
File May 02, 7 07 04 PM.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
hey /k/, just bought pic related from an antique store for $20. I can read the obvious markings but I don't know how to translate the lot codes, did this thing go to nam or did it barely miss it? (i say that because of the 4-75 loading date) thanks.
also general milsurp thread
>>
>>33839320
Missed it by at least 4 years.

You really don't decipher lot codes, AT BEST they'll tell you which arsenal produced them.

I'm surprised it has a regular date stamp and not a Julian date on it.
>>
>>33839366
ah well, still fuckin cool, thanks.
there's a few other code stamps on the side of it if that would be anything worth looking at.
mind telling me how you figured out how old it is?
>they also had M9 gas mask filters but I don't want hazmat kicking my door in and ATFing me
>>
>>33839401
Go ahead and post the other stamps.

Educated guess based on loading date, even under "wartime" production/transportation it takes a good while to get ammo from the plants to the front lines and the 81mm mortars were already pretty fucking old so we had a hell of a stockpile going in to Vietnam. I mean shit, I was still shooting WW2/Korean War vintage .50bmg in Iraq in 2006, side-opening 110 round cans and all.

If it has a 3-digit number proceeded by a single letter on it that is a DODIC (for example, A555 is .50bmg straight up ball no tracer linked--don't ask me why I remember that). I think I still have my yellow book around somewhere if you want that deciphered.
>>
File: MFW.jpg (7KB, 226x223px) Image search: [Google]
MFW.jpg
7KB, 226x223px
>>33839320
Thinking that equipment designated for the Vet Nam campaign doesn't actually end up with the Nicaraguan Contras.
>>
>>33839550
one code is C256, one is 05757, and there's duplicate stamps of the "lot-ma-138-26" on both sides as well.
>>
>>33839320

Did you by any chance buy this near Mobile Alabama?
>>
>>33839726
no I did not. I'm in NM. somebody lose mortar HE?
>>
>>33839628
C256 will be a DODIC (department of defense identification code, ammo version of an NSN). Will try to find my yellow book and cross-reference.

05757 I have no idea on, it's not a Julian date even though it's the correct format.
>>
>>33839739
don't bother digging, I found the reference, just a restate of what it says: M374 (all variants) HE mortar rounds.
I'm gonna try to see what arsenal it's from, the main code says that it's the 26th crate of the 168th lot from a manufacturer using the MA arsenal designation.
>>
>>33839726
Looks a lot like the crate my father brought back from nam. Lost it when I moved to AL and back about 10 years ago. I am sure there are many of these around but that looks VERY familiar
>>
I remember seeing a similar box at a goodwill when I was a child, it was blue.
There was an old, black and white picture of a bare breasted women.
I wish I had taken it.
>>
File: 20170502_210552.jpg (528KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170502_210552.jpg
528KB, 2048x1152px
Ya'll niggas ain't even got aperture sights on yer wheelguns.

Scrubs, the lot of ya.
>>
>>33839762
which, son of a bitch, gets us:
Milan Army Ammo Plant, Harvey Aluminum Inc. OP contractor, Milan TN.

thanks mil-std-1461
bit of a journey this fucker took.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.