[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /k/. I don't know much about parts kits but I was wondering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_1380.png (375KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1380.png
375KB, 750x1334px
Hi /k/.

I don't know much about parts kits but I was wondering if you can assemble most surplus rifle part kits at home with the required tool. Or is a gunsmith needed in most cases for the build?

Pic is an example I saw.
>>
>>33836454
in most cases the required tools are roughly 300 or more altogether. the exception being the ar platform. at 300 its more cost effective to hire a gunsmith if its only one gun
>>
>>33836454
Do you have a drill press and a shop press?
And you'll need a no-go gauge for the caliber.

If not, then it'll cost a bit more than usual.

A Galil should be fairly easy on account of not needing rivets though.
Just headspace and pin the barrel and the rest of it's just pushing on and pinning the gas block and sights and whatnot.

I encourage you to go watch Flandres AK build videos (though he seems to think that a special tool is required for everything even though it's not)
And as I said, the Galil doesn't have any Rivets to my knowledge.
>>
>>33836639
>a special tool is required for everything even though it's not
You can just beat the barrel into the front trunnion with enough time right?
>>
>>33836639
Here's a link to his AK builds.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YKbkqgHhVSY
A Galil is pretty much a milled reciever AK.
Any riveting necessary can be achieved with a hammer and a punch or Tool Steel bolt.
>>
>>33836655
I don't recommend doing that without some kind of muzzle protector.

I dented the crown of my Polish build doing that before I got my press.
I feel bad because i used to have all kinds of how to shit on building AKs without tools but lost it all.
>>
>>33836665
>Any riveting necessary can be achieved with a hammer and a punch or Tool Steel bolt.
sure if you want the quality level of io
>>
>>33836669
>some kind of muzzle protector.
How's a penny sound?
>>33836678
The reason IO AK's suck dog-dick is because they cut corners and use cheap materials combined with sloppy build quality to get rifles out the door quickly and cheaply. Same thing with Century.
>>
Hardest part will be finding a good reciever.

Avoid Ohio rapid fire and assault weapons of Ohio revievers like the plague, they're not cut right and they aren't heat treated.

CNC warrior is good but fucking hard to find. Tortort is ok but they will need a lot of work to finish up
>>
File: 1305492607646.jpg (38KB, 604x483px) Image search: [Google]
1305492607646.jpg
38KB, 604x483px
>tfw I bought a PM-63 kit before they all started vanishing, but have no clue what I need to do to get it working and ATF compliant.
>mfw I'll likely be holding onto it forever until I can find someone to do all the work for me.

I just couldn't help myself, it's a cool gun.
>>
Appreciate the help guys
>>
>>33836710
I used a quarter, actually.
Washingtons forehead apparently hates crowns.
>>33836678
Get bent.
Just like their awful heat treating that caused the problems instead of awful riveting.

Oh, and one more thing OP.
I don't care how tired you are.
QUADRUPLE CHECK YOUR FUCKING SIGHT ALIGNMENT AND DO. NOT. FUCKING. EGG OUT YOUR HOLES.

DON'T.
>>
>>33836454
Honestly.. parts kit are just paying for the chance of making a ruined novelty to sell to a dummy for later.
If you are really into making something that works:
-3D printing plastics with metal reinforce, cheap if you read.
- aftermarket barrel & any mag in desired cal. More cheap decent parts
-build 3d print parts. Good fitting tolerances are short learning curve with good reading.
You don't need to follow novel designs if its firepower your after.
>>
>>33836710
>he reason IO AK's suck dog-dick is because they cut corners and use cheap materials combined with sloppy build quality
and you dont think a guy whose too cheap to buy the right tools wont do the same shit?
>>
>>33836738
Actually, I have to agree.
I forgot to point out that you're not gonna save money unless it's to sell a bunch of parts kits.

There really is nothing quite like going to the range and being able to tell people that you built that sexy AK in your own garage though.
>>
>>33836757
Riveting jogs achieve nothing a hammer and bolt and some time won't.

No it's not the best looking thing in the world and if aesthetics are what matters most to you, you ought to shell out the cash.
But you don't have to pay the cash to have an AK kit that works well.
>>
>>33836757
I meant cut corners as in cut corners when manufacturing components and using dogshit materials that mushroom or aren't heat-treated properly.

If you're buying a kit with the intent to build it you're getting mil-spec (but potentially worn-out) parts maybe including good quality rivets, your only issue will be with finding a good receiver and barrel.

And the build quality with any set of tools comes down to the craftsman at work. Someone who doesn't care will shit out a terrible rifle, someone who cares and takes their time may produce something great.
>>
>>33836795
OH, one last warning.

The furniture is supposed to fit ridiculously tight, so don't die on it at all.
You'all just end up having to buy a new furniture set and have a bunch of worthless AK furniture laying around.
>>
>>33836915
I've already done quite a bit of looking. Not a lot of info out there on PM-63 builds, unfortunately. I haven't started my own thread on any forums, though, so I could probably start there.

Not that I'm in a rush to build this or anything. I don't even know how to weld, let alone have any machining experience/tools.
>>
>>33836722
Check Youtube videos or sign up for a gun forum and make a thread. There would usually be a gunsmith or an experienced hombuilder online to answer any questions regarding them
>>
>>33836935
Wew, you may as well get a portable welder, dremel and join forums like weaponeer or home gun smith. Those guys would walk you through some things. Another thing is getting scrap metal and/or former deactivated receivers for cheap and practicing on them.
>>
>>33836972
Yup, that's pretty much the plan right now. Glad to hear the community is nice to noobs.
>>
>>33836972
Weaponeer is a good forum in terms of people.
The server or whatever it is causes it to do everything slow as fuck and the mods apparently have to okay every last fuckin' post.

But seriously dude, post a build thread every once in a while.
We'll all be here..
>>
>>33836731
George was just punishing you for buying slavshit.
>>
>>33837503
>George Washington hates capitolism
>he hates an American "do it yourself" spirit
Nope.
>>
>>33836731
You can exchange the quarter for a copper endcap, m8
>>
File: 20161117_160554.jpg (3MB, 4000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
20161117_160554.jpg
3MB, 4000x2250px
>>33836639

There is a lot of fitting to be done that a gunsmith should be doing.

A good barrel is basically impossible to find other than the craptastic Apex ones. I got lucky with a genuine virgin IMI 1-7 barrel.
>>
>>33841446
Just out of curiosity (never fiddled with a Galil before) is the barrel press fit or threaded in?

And where does apex get their barrels?
Are they made in house or are they sourced from somewhere (haven't even looked at building a Galil until this thread)
>>
>>33841446
>every company and thier mother with a lathe turns out decent AR barrels
>galil barrels remain shitty unless you find something hidden up the rectum of a jew who flew home from isreal
This is the worst.
>>
>>33841497
Here you go, it's threaded and the receivers really are fiddly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nb3wKdoRUw
>>
>>33841536
Fuck.
Press fit is way easier.

I guess it's just about time for my poor wallet to start kickin and screaming again...
>>
File: IMG_20160714_195837.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160714_195837.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>33841497

It threads in like an FAL.

This is great if its a virgin barrel, because you can just torque it in then do the extractor cut, gas port, and handguard cut.

What Apex/Green Mountain did was make them with worn out broaches, then do the hand guard cut and extractor cut. So if the barrel doesn't time correctly, you're going to spend 6 hours taking material off the shoulder to get it to time.

There is talk of a run of US made virgin Galil barrels to be made at some point, but who knows.

So obviously, you want a virgin IMI barrel if you're serious. I got mine second hand (never fitted) from a guy on a forum for $95. It's not impossible, but you've got to be quick.
>>
>>33841579
I wonder if someone with a lathe and autism could make a barrel from a bull AR barrel without a gasport
>>
>>33841611
Do we have Galil barrel dimensions?
>>
File: P1010038.jpg (3MB, 4288x3216px) Image search: [Google]
P1010038.jpg
3MB, 4288x3216px
>>33841611

Or you can just buy a barrel blank from Douglas and turn it town into Galil shape.
>>
>>33841635
That would make more sense.

>>33841627
Someone probably does or close enough that you could cross reference with your parts kit..
>>
>>33841656
I don't actually have a kit.
I've been posting shit to help OP, but seeing as the barrel is threaded on and not press fit it appears a good bit of my advice is worthless.

However this thread now has me thinking about Galils and how sexy they are. I just finished my FAL too.
I don't know if I'm going to start on one soon because of car shit again (same shit that made my FAL take three fucking years) but I can certainly hope I can.

I at least have a job now.
>>
File: 1445203546475.png (159KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1445203546475.png
159KB, 600x600px
>>33841684

It's a dark road that will end up costing you at least $1500 and months of your time waiting for each and every obscure part.

Guess how I know.

I'm having an R5 and an R1 built currently, and I'm getting impatient after 8 months of collecting parts and 4 months of waiting.

But I will have a milled receiver AK that shoots 5.56mm and is incredibly rare. So there's that.
>>
>>33841751
Which parts were fucked? main thinking is that unless you have a lathe and mill or are good with files and a die grinder you would be out of luck but the kits were complete.

Also FUCK IMI for seeing the market for galils and then making the ACE like fucking dumbasses instead of just doing what every AK importer does.
>>
>>33841751
My friend, I built an FAL over three years (maybe more now that I think about it)

I wasted so much cash and then just gave in and bout a parts kit.
I probably have $1,100 in it right now.
I have hours of my time, shitloads of tears and waiting, and a few smashed appendages from it (and kids of lost sleep from arguing with people as to wether or not I could do it)

I now proudly wear the name Mowerblade because of this.

A Galil will be expensive and a pain in the ass but not something I can't do physically.
The only problems I have are monetary.
It'll simply have to wait a little while.
>>
>>33841841
FUCKING MOBILE KEYBOARD.
>>
>>33841841
Mel's vid covers most of the bullshit to get around fucked up receivers what you mainly need to do is have a mill and a lathe to fix the out of spec dimensions.
>>
File: sandf.jpg (60KB, 800x605px) Image search: [Google]
sandf.jpg
60KB, 800x605px
>>33841806

The kits numrich sells are in good shape, being demilled Israeli. Stay away from Apex, as they beat to shit Guatemalan surplus.

I'm building an R5, a South African variant of the Galil SAR. There are numerous small differences between it and a normal SAR. So I to spend some time looking for very rare parts. See how the stock is polymer? That's one major difference, in addition to the gas tube, the handguard retainer ferrule, the gas block, the pistol grip, etc.

The hard parts to get for a normal SAR/AR/ARM build are:

CNC warrior receiver (they will do another run soon-ish, get on their in-stock email list)
Barrel (good luck lol)
Bullet guide (i THINK you can fiddle with an AK one, but I'd want an original)

Builder's I'd use:
Jeff Miller / Hillbilly Firearms
>he can build a galil better than any arsenal, seriously. he's doing mine right now
ARS/gunplumber
Two Rivers
>>
>>33841904
I can't afford this right now but thank you for the future help anon.
>>
>>33841935

Read akfiles and uzitalk for more info.
Also great place to scrounge parts.
>>
>>33841974
I intend to, having first scrounged the cash up, purchase one of the Numrich kits.

But one question.
Wood or Plastic?
I mean, the plastic goes for that 80's operator appeal, but wood gives me wood.
I like them both equally.
Damn you guys. I'm never gonna be able to easy anything but Ramen.
>>
>>33841904
Also he's pretty active on AKfiles so you can find advice and other threads from other builders there too.

>>33841928
I really want one but the whole thing seems like a massive time and money sink compared to literally anything else.

What does Miller normally charge for each build?
>>
File: timetoslot.jpg (530KB, 1755x1115px) Image search: [Google]
timetoslot.jpg
530KB, 1755x1115px
>>33842006
I think only the ARM had wood handguards, and they don't really interest me. The SAR is where it's at.

I think Ironwood Designs is making ARM replicas so you could just get those.

Plastic is the most practical in terms of cost and availability.

>>33842033
It is. Though it also is the ultimate evolution of the AK, without being gay like the ACE.

$750 with black nitride finishing IIRC.

Also almost forgot 24hourtactical for galil/r4 parts. Good stuff, but a little $$$.
>>
>>33842109
750 before or after the parts kit and everything?
>>
>>33842109
The wood and plastic both cost the same.

I'm leaning plastic because 80's operator.
I'll be doing all assembly myself.
>>
File: 1493405247688.jpg (240KB, 368x563px) Image search: [Google]
1493405247688.jpg
240KB, 368x563px
>>33842132

Lol, just labor.

If you want a plain jane galil with no lightening cuts, etc. it might be slightly less.

He also does sell barrels. Custom made green mountain 1-7 as well as Douglas stainless blanks that he'll turn down.
>>
File: ivan-thumb-570x1016-117178.jpg (161KB, 569x1016px) Image search: [Google]
ivan-thumb-570x1016-117178.jpg
161KB, 569x1016px
>>33842199
Welp, that went from a hopeful maybe to blown out.
>>
>>33841928
Ive been considering building an R4 for awhile now. If I can get one of those green mountain barrels apex uses then there are a few barrel companies out there that will copy the dimensions of it and make a new one. Then I'd just need to find a south african anon to mail me some furniture...
>>
>>33842276
The R4 variant is easier to build than the R5.

24hourtactical will have most all the parts you need. They also come up on akfiles and GunBroker.

>>33842220
The receiver is $600 alone anon.
>>
>>33842371
Do you know offhand what is different between the R4 and galil kits on nurmrich? im sure it would be far cheaper to substitute than to purchase parts individually. and would you know what miller charges for his barrels? Im going to email him soon so if you dont know I might be able to find out and post here.

Ive got a few parts kits coming in soon hopefully, if this thread doesnt die tonight I might be able to post images and say what all will need to be done with them. A DPM, Ppsh-41, Vz. 26, and Uzi specifically as well as an FAL depending upon how fast gunplumber ships kits and how fast the money order I sent clears. If it dies I might make a new thread later anyways.

Paging Dr Zasta
>>
So why a Galil and not just an AR? They're cheap as fuck right now.
>>
>>33842826
So why a Corvette and not just a Mustang? They're cheap as fuck right now.
>>
>>33842877
>So why a Corvette and not just a Mustang? They're cheap as fuck right now.
The problem is that /k/ has a huge problem with "champagne tastes and a beer budget".
>>
>>33842905
that sounds like a personal problem to me.
>>
>>33836669
can just BEAT the fucking barrel into the trunion... you know, that actually makes sense. I saw his build video where they install the locking shoulder on the FAL with a press. I was surprised as fuck to see that you could just use a hammer and punch...
>>
>>33843973
you could potentially go too far though couldnt you?
>>
>>33842810
I can't remember, but I think a Douglas barrel is roughly $300.

You're better off calling his phone.
>>
>>33842810

Between it and an ARM kit:

Polymer stock
Pistol grip
Gas tube
Front sight
Hand guard
No carry handle
Flash hider is older birdcage type with grenade spring

There's a 90 page thread on uzitalk detailing the differences.
>>
>>33842810
Take heart, /k/omrade.
As long as your money order is in the mail he ships quickly.
Mine actually arrived a day early.
>>33842826
Because it's more fun to build something that's actually challenging instead of Legos.
>>33843973
You can.

Still not the best method though.
I'd only do it if I seriously couldn't use my shop press.
It has a tendency to inspire what I call "bent barrel paranoia"
Constantly checking and cussing about bent barrels.
>>
>>33841806
>Also FUCK IMI for seeing the market for galils and then making the ACE like fucking dumbasses instead of just doing what every AK importer does
You can try converting one with OG parts, there are threads on the AK files where users managed to successfully fit handguards and buttstocks of the ace with the OG galil.
>>33841928
Apex is out of stock
>>
>>33842006
Numrich has wooden handguards in their parts kit for the Galil AR
>>
Is it recommended to grab several deacticated receivers and reactivate them by rewelding? I have some experience using a welder and have some machinist friends that are interested to help in my project
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.