[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SHTF items that not everyone has thought about A linear fresnel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10

File: Fresnel.jpg (40KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Fresnel.jpg
40KB, 300x225px
SHTF items that not everyone has thought about

A linear fresnel lens is probably the most practical item that I've never heard anyone else mention in their preps. You do all the cooking and water sterilizing you want with zero fuel. Not exactly great for bugging out but if you're bugging in it's perfect
>>
>>33833615
Let me just fit that in my backpack.
Also
>not scavenging gucci bear grylls shit off all the dead preppers a week after anything happens
>>
>>33833672
>Let me just fit that in my backpack.
>>33833615
>Not exactly great for bugging out
>>
File: IMG_7006.jpg (121KB, 410x229px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7006.jpg
121KB, 410x229px
So we finally have a magnifying glass big enough to use on humans instead of ants. Let's see those Michael Vick faggots at the ATF try to ban this!

nb4 solarboarding isn't torture
>>
>>33833615
I briefly had one of these that was like 5x5 feet, shit was brutal. Could burn through rocks in no time even on a somewhat cloudy day.
>>
>>33833726
>YFW there are spot fresnel lenses that get hot enough to melt a padlock in two minutes
>>33833740
I've got a few linear ones and a spot one from old projection TVs I got for free off craigslist and facebook. I have one of the linear ones mounted but the spot one is too evil
>>
>>33833726
>solarboarding
Great idea anon, no way the hippies will bitch about that cause it's Eco friendly.
>>
>>33833753
Yeah the one I had came from an old busted TV. It wasn't worth the effort to move the giant 5x5 foot fragile thing around with me though so I just gave it to a friend's dad who does all kinds of wacky engineering shit. Pretty sure he ended up making a mount for it like the OP pic.
>>
You know most "SHTF" daydreamers are just using it as an excuse to buy cool shit they'll never have a reason to use
>>
>>33833775
I got all mine for free
>>33833764
I never see myself moving so all mine are just in a storage shed
>>
>>33833615
Rapid sun tea acquisition
>>
>>33833775
Definitely true

I am not a full blown "prepper" but I'm better situated than most because I have a couple week's worth of water and a month or so of canned food.

Defending it will be the hard part.
>>
>>33833803
>Defending it will be the hard part.

>What are guns
>>
>>33833824
I live in a large city suburb less than 5 miles from projects full of dindus, and I only have 1 friend here that I could count on to help defend the home. My wife/his GF might be good for reloading magazines and that sort of thing but I don't expect them to actually be much help in a firefight.

Bugging in is my only option, but I'm not going to pretend my chances are fantastic if 30-40 dindus realize that I am sitting on a stockpile of water and food.
>>
>>33833824
He's right though. In basically every SHTF scenario except nuclear war, there will still be LOTS of desperate hungry people in the first months. You'll be shooting families in your front yard, not half mutant bandits on the highway.
>>
>>33833855
SKS + shitload of stripper clips

It was good enough for a red genocide, dindus are cake.
>>
File: toptoiletpaper2.jpg (13KB, 341x341px) Image search: [Google]
toptoiletpaper2.jpg
13KB, 341x341px
>"SHTF"
>"TEOTWAWKI"
>"Prepping"

These are all code for "Hero-fantasist deep-LARPer competence insecurity stroking"

It's all about guns and gear and food and first aid and 4wd trucks, but it's never really about the kind of shit that you will really, really need to have around if the lights go out and the trucks stop rolling.

These people are so deep in their fantasy, they actually think they'll eat a months worth of food and water and never take a shit. It's kinda sad.

I put preppers in the same mental place I put furries and wiccans.
>>
>>33833883
kek, I have like 4 costco jumbo packs worth of toilet paper in my attic. Space is my consideration, I don't have room for anything. I've thought about digging a bunker/storage celler in my backyard, but haven't yet cause I'm not sure what cost would be and I don't like the idea of trying to clear out a flooded cellar

I'm not a true prepper, I just expect a couple months of instability, so that's what I'm prepared for.
>>
>>33833615
>the most practical item

um....

where is the sunshine needed to power this thing ?

ie, puget sound area
>>
>>33833982
>I just expect a couple months of instability, so that's what I'm prepared for.

Hey, quit being practical. this is /k/. you go get your gasmask and MREs
>>
>>33833615
>bulky
>heavy
>FRAGILE
>doesn't work during winter, cloudy/rainy weather, or at night

It MIGHT be useful for long-term water purification for storage but it would be extremely unreliable for immediate needs, and likely to break. Not to mention it must be used outdoors in the open, exposing you and/or your shit to observation and/or theft/attack.
>>
>>33834163
>>33834103
>could burn through rocks(!) even on a cloudy day
Solar energy != light.
>>
>>33834399
uh...yes solar energy is light.

Why do you think solar panels don't work at night and work at a significantly reduced output on cloudy days? Why do you think they work at a significantly reduced output when at the extremes of a hemisphere or during winter anywhere other than within a couple hundred miles of the equator even in full sun? Why do you think you don't get sunburnt at night?

Clouds block solar radiation. They don't block it ALL, but they block a lot. As does foliage (GL using a fresnel lens under a tree canopy).

This means that you'd need a humongous fresnel lens to do anything useful on cloudy or rainy days. Sizes that would be impractical, like 5ftx5ft.
>>
>>33834475
yeah i keep a 6x6 fresnel lens folded up in my BoB you never know when that thing will come in handy
>>
>>33833855
Get out of the city you retard, I thought land was 5c an acre in the states?
>>
>>33833883
>needing toilet paper to shit
what
>>
>>33833672
are you fucking blind?
>>
>>33833883
Some goofy digits you got there, also semi mountain hermit here, I go into town once a month and work on a nearby dairy farm on the weekends, but I think I could manage with no income, would hate it and I'd be living like a 19th century farmer with a dad player but I could still probably do it. What's your opinion on me? Would I just get shot a couple weeks in while I'm taking a shower?
>>
>>33833883
I put you in the same category of people who think JHP is a meme
>>
>>33834560
Its relieving to know that you're actually retarded and didnt read the post
>what is bugging in
>>
>>33834560
>yeah i keep a 6x6 fresnel lens folded up in my BoB you never know when that thing will come in handy

>shits on the exact same point that OP made
stay classy tripfags
>>
>>33834786
Its not even actually the real Zed either. The real one was amusing with his b8 posting. this one is just annoying
>>
File: image.jpg (61KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 443x332px
>>33833883
I just have a kawakawa bush growing next to the outhouse, works better then you'd think, also makes the shitter smell nicer, and doesn't build up like toilet paper does.
>>
>>33833615
>only works on the sunniest of days
yeah im not in commiefornia
>>
>mfw most of you will embarass your're are selves pronouncing it incorrectly
>>
>>33834947
>not just keeping 3 sea shells nearby
>>
File: Bill_Cipher.jpg (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Bill_Cipher.jpg
35KB, 600x600px
>>33834117
Talking about a couple months, if I was a chairman. Id avoid all steep shtf situation by minimally investing-in/patching the community I handle. Letting it ingloriously drag out will minimize vigilante groups and other sim types getting valuable community recognition. I'll be more than happy to sit in AC while I wait for Militia/Prepper/other-fringe-group to 'get tired of nothing being done' to try to do something about the slow degredation then ceremoniously fuck up. And if they don't fuck up, ill infiltrate them with my agents to sabotage them so I can get blame pointed at them, whereafter I will introduce my "foolproof community solution" where I will sit in the chair and profit.>>33834117
Talking about a couple months, if I was a chairman. Id avoid all steep shtf situation by minimally investing-in/patching the community I handle. Letting it ingloriously drag out will minimize vigilante groups and other sim types getting valuable community recognition. I'll be more than happy to sit in AC while I wait for Militia/Prepper/other-fringe-group to 'get tired of nothing being done' to try to do something about the slow degredation then ceremoniously fuck up. And if they don't fuck up, ill infiltrate them with my agents to sabotage them so I can get blame pointed at them, whereafter I will introduce my "foolproof community solution" where I will sit in the chair and profit from their fears.
>>
>>33833775
Well, kinda.

I felt that way when I started, but the more I learn about history and the current state of society the more seriously I take it.

It honestly scares me how many thousands of people have to do their jobs properly just so we all have food and basic necessities. Global interdependence is getting worse and worse, and if any part of this giant chain of people between the farm, the trucks, the warehouses, the retailers, and our table fucks up, we don't have anything to eat. I just hate relying on so many people just to not starve.
>>
>>33834696
Depends on where you live. Some places land is cheap, but in others (where I live, for example) not nearly so much.

I live in a large city that is heavily urbanized, and HUD has done an excellent job of moving nogs out of the projects and dispersing them everywhere. My wife's job is downtown, and since it's related to the stockmarket/investment etc she can't work from home (SEC rules or somesuch)

We could have maybe bought a house further out, but for it to be far enough to matter it'd be easily a 45 minute commute, minimum.

We'll probably do that when we start having kids though. But for now we're poor enough that 2 cars driving 80 miles a day would be a difficult thing to finance.

So for the next couple years I'm just crossing my fingers.

When I get out to the country though I'm going to have a fucking bunker and a shooting range.
>>
>>33833615
Do you have an old 27 inch crt "big" screen TV? If you said yes than you have a 27inch fresnel lens.
>>
>>33840796
Not CRT, projection
>>
>>33833615
I think the biggest limitations I can see with it is the simple fact I imagine it's not as fast as some other methods, as well as it's limited use such as bad weather.

If I was going to use solar power I'd simply run some lines from solar panels to batteries so I could cook on an electric stove thereby negating any possible weather issues. No point in relying on something that needs specific circumstances to work properly.

Pic unreated but are there any major law's on rainwater collectiom? In the USA that is.
>>
>>33837870

He doesn't know about the shells.
>>
>>33834947
That looks like English ivy
>>
>>33841089
>Pic unreated but are there any major law's on rainwater collectiom? In the USA that is.
Yes
>>
File: $_35.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
>that would be 30$ please

Or going full retard by trying to reinvent the wheel.
>>
>>33841089
Federal? EPA was trying to head in that direction. Trump's election put a stop to that for a few more years.

State? Depends on the state. Some of our more communist states (or states that have been forcibly colonized by communists, like Oregon) have decreed that All Water Belongs To The State, and will put you in jail for installing a gutter without prior permission, much less digging a small pond.
>>
>>33841089
I cook off a woodstove, and I have an earthen oven in the shed, still have solar panels but on a cloudy week they're barely enough to keep the freezer and Internet running, let alone charging shit. As for water I couldn't tell you, I imagine that the U.S. is such a big place that it wouldn't matter if you rigged up something like your picture because nobody would ever know.
>>
>>33843148

I've never heard of that being enforced except for that one guy who went full retard and built an artificial lake on his property.
>>
>>33843148
Oregon suburbanite reporting. We are encouraged to disconnect and capture storm water. Get a reduced bill by having it inspected. So, on a commercial level there are rules regarding water collection. Check with your local city (if you care) about residential rules or incentives as they may be different.

I keep 4 barrels. In Oregon having a good overflow/bypass routing is key. More water than we know what to do with this year. Stop with the rain ffs.

I'm totally adding a lens and mount to my shed. I can't imagine it will take up much space and its a nice idea. I wonder if there is a market for some sort of 100% solar made moonshine. (keep in mind this is the Pacific Northwest)
>>
>>33833883
Anon we didn't have toilet paper for millions of years, like 70-80 year ago we started using it. If you're wasting money on this I'm sorry. Just plant a tree with nice big leaves instead.
>>
>>33841089
>Pic unreated but are there any major law's on rainwater collectiom? In the USA that is.
In Australia, they were going to tax water tanks because the water companies complained about those people not having to buy water anymore.
>>
>>33843640
Do they tax the fresh water or do they tax the waste water.

I have all my rain gutters going into a tank and use that water for the toilet, i have to pay waste water fees for that.
>>
File: 1487467135210.gif (11KB, 211x211px) Image search: [Google]
1487467135210.gif
11KB, 211x211px
>>33843213
The stoves are a good idea, honesty if I was going to use solar I'm SHTF I'd also combine it with a couple of wind generators as well, I wouldn't be looking at trying to power my whole house but being able to power a small electric stove or even charge rechargable batteries for flashlights and stuff may be useful.
>>
>>33844307
What about the thoughts on hand powered washing machines? I feel a lot of people overlook general hygiene when it comes to SHTF, having an ability to wash your clothing/underwear/shit rags could help avoid infections.
>>
>>33833883
>not catching your shower water and using it in the bidet

>storing paper instead of just water
>>
>>33841089
>electric stove
>solar power
You really didnt do the math on that one, did you. Idiot.
>>
>>33833801
Tactical Rapid Sun Tea Acquisition
>>
>>33844327
I wash mine in a tub with a washboard.
>>
>>33844418
I'm not sure where my maths was wrong there?

Solar panels linked up to batteries, they will charge and keep a charge then j can run a small electric stove even on cloudy days/nighttime.
>>
>>33844307
Forget about the stove mate, it's not gonna happen. Also I've been thinking about a windmill for a couple years but they are just too fucking expensive, I'm already getting by and most cloud does last for any more then a couple days.
>>
>>33844523
Sorry mate, I don't see it happening, really the only way to go is a woodstove and an outdoor oven.
>>
>>33833615
Yeah, until some dickhead with a 22 walks by.
>>
I've been meaning to get a huge one. Hopefully somebody will toss a projector TV soon, I want the fresnel lens and the big focusing lenses

>>33844327
Pedal would be better than hand powered. I haven't used a washboard myself
>>
>>33833726
Simpsons did it! Simpsons did it!
>>
>>33844993
it's made of plastic. A .22 would just make a tiny hole and leave the other 99% of the lens functional.
>>
military bio-engineers have already developed weaponized malaria and other diseases. how does a bug-out bag and a Toyota pickup defend against that?
>>
>>33845136
Avoiding human contact would avoid many disease, although not malaria. In what situation would the US population be hit with a military engineered bio-attack?
>>
File: PIC_0032.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
PIC_0032.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>33845136
If a military deliberately releases a bio weapon like that your only real option is to head to the middle of fucking nowhere and shoot every living thing that gets within 500yds of you.

I recommend somewhere in the Nevada desert cause its EMPTY as fuck.
>>
>>33844523
Electric stoves, even small ones, are high-amperage high-draw devices. You'd pretty well need a whole-home solar system to run them (or keep your battery banks charged enough for continued use).
>>
>>33841089
Depends entirely on where you live in the states.

There is no rainwater collection regulation at the Federal level. Some states encourage it, to the point of tax breaks and shit. Other states outright ban it, to the point of having a single rain barrel being a felony (NM).

That being said, even if you live in a prohibitive area, getting caught is difficult.
>>
>>33844510
The hand washers are faster and higher capacity, and depending on design actually get the clothes cleaner.

They also don't tear up your clothes as fast.
>>
>>33845245
Holy shit there need to be some limitations on what can be deemed a felony
>>
>>33833775

thats the problem with guns as a hobby. its way too easy to make up weird shtf scenarios to justify buying shit you probably don't ((((need)))
>>
>>33840158
so much this, all supermarket and shops will be empty in 2 days if any link on that chain is broken. makes you think. I am sorry for all the people with a garden and no ability to defend it. bugging in for a month should fix most situations but still.
the amount of irresponsible people out there and river shitting assholes is very concerning as well.
>>
>>33845278
It's a law I actually understand the reasoning behind. And it's based on actual happenings and not just "well what if"

Back in the 70's and 80's there were people in the deserts of NM that were setting up HUMONGOUS rainwater collection sites. We're talking hundreds of thousands of gallons of capacity. It dropped the water table bad enough that these dozen or so people completely screwed over several large cities that were reliant on groundwater, and directly caused the deaths of 7 people who got sucked into a sinkhole caused by the artificially lowered water table.
>>
>>33843259
look on YouTube for retention ponds and private artificial lakes that fail. it's an eye opener. just bury that shit and keep your water in tanks or barrels, in my country everyone has rooftop units because of low pressure and altitude. look in to that.
>>
>>33833672
My budy used to have a lens off a red light, thing was light and around 1'×1'. He took it hiking one tine in boy scouts when we were like 11ish if I remember right.
Started all the fires on the trip for the whole troop and boiled soup for lunch one day in a pan.
You dont need a 5'x5' thing, just takes longer.
Id doesnt hurt to have something lime this kicking around in your garage.
Not all prepping is for the end of world. Sometimes the powers just out for 4 or 5 days. Or a gas lines broken for a week, or the water systems fucked up.......its ok to prepare for the highly more likely stuff than shtf/doomsday.
>>
>>33845174
Yeah and your like 1 hour at best outside reno in thos pic....
>>
>>33834696
All the places with affordable land arent anywhere near where jobs are.
>>
extra stash of can openers.
>>
>>33845423
Gotta love it when backyard engineers cause ecological disasters. One from my area: The legend of dirty slim.
>be 1950
>ww2 veteran "dirty slim" comes up with a neat thing
>he owns a gravel-pit and has found a mix of gravel, clay, and crushed rock that is as cheap as fill-dirt but when layered out 8" thick and run over with a hose and roller hardens up like concrete
>has kinda pleasing orangish-red ochre color
>dirty, poor, rural area
>folks jump at the idea that they can have one a them newfangled paved driveways without the cost of paving
>75% of the county buys one a slims driveway treatments
>local highschool builds a track and a set of tennis courts with it
>slims shit is the best, unlike other packed dirt shit dont grow thrugh it, and water doesnt pothole it
>slim makes a great living with his dirt, dies in '95
>2005 rolls around
>man, these driveways from the 50's are STILL in good shape, so are the tennis courts and track. Wonder what the fuck he was mixing into it
>EPA wonders too
>tests it
>the secret ingriedient turns out to be lead, antimony, and arsenic at 3,000 times the healthy level
>turns out ol' slim had been running these orange rocks from a forgotten mine-tailing pile from the 1800's
>he was grinding up pure lead and arsenic ore into clay and gravel to give it that pretty orange-red color
>EPA designates the entire town a superfund site

Its 13 years later and they are STILL trying to clean up the lead and arsenic contamination.

One illiterate dirt-merchant with a rock crusher and a dump truck contaminated half the county with arsenic.
>>
>>33845222
Fair point, I didn't think about the expenditure of power it would require to heat a hobb to sufficient temperatures
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.