[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am going to France for ~20 days (its part of a broader month-long

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: FRANCE.jpg (11KB, 226x223px) Image search: [Google]
FRANCE.jpg
11KB, 226x223px
I am going to France for ~20 days (its part of a broader month-long European trip) and I need some /k/ approved war memorials and museums. I'm arriving to France in Cherbourg, so the Normandy memorial is obviously already something I've committed to. I'm also only really bothering to go to Paris so I can visit Les Invalides, so that's on the list.

What else fellow /k/ommandos? I would really like some WW1 stuff too but barely know where to start.
>>
Some parts of the Maginot line are still up, as are some of the Atlantic wall defenses.

Also, catacombs of Paris.
>>
>>33828260
the Holocaust museum is a great visit and very educational you won't regret it
just letting the horrific atrocities soak in your head through the experience is just mind boggling. Truly shows the evil in the world especially the danger of right wingers
>>
>>33828410
I'm sure if OP wanted to see some high quality historical fantasy he could just watch HBO.
>>
>>33828410
>>the dangers of overbearing government

daily reminder that Stalin killed way more than Hitler, and that Communism has killed more people in the 20th century than any other form of government or idealogy.

lefty/pol/ plz go.

>>33828260
Anon, see if you can visit Bastogne, Belgium isn't far, I think there's a museum there about the battle of the bulge.
>>
File: Somme_scars.jpg (179KB, 964x641px) Image search: [Google]
Somme_scars.jpg
179KB, 964x641px
>>33828260
Nice thumbnail.
>>
File: Zone Rouge.png (441KB, 2000x1341px) Image search: [Google]
Zone Rouge.png
441KB, 2000x1341px
>>33828816
>>
File: WW1 Map Western Front.jpg (176KB, 1004x615px) Image search: [Google]
WW1 Map Western Front.jpg
176KB, 1004x615px
>>33828835
>>
>>33828649
>thing A is worse than thing B, which means that thing B isn't bad at all
>>
>>33829088
no he's pointing out that you failed to grasp the source of those atrocities because you're a mental child
>>
I rode a bicycle kinda along the Somme several years ago, there are war memorials literally every couple kilometres for hundreds of kilometres there.
>>
>>33828260
Go see Le musée de blindés. Its a huge tank museum with pretty much everything from WW1 to wierd war cold war. As well theres a shop where they actively fix the tanks. Usually you can ask to go to their tank archives, as only about 30% or so of their collection is out at one time. Plus its basically on the way to Paris from Cherbourg. The city is Saumur, their last calvary school as well.
>>
>Verdun
>Maginot Line
>Somme
>Fucking everything in Normandy

Do not buy surplus souvenirs whatever you do at those sites: it's all marked up for tourists. They do have some rare shit for sale, overpriced of course but one of a kind.

>>33828649
Belgian Army Museum in Brussels is awesome. It was half closed when I was there but it should be open entirely now.

>>33830963
This. A lot of the shit in World of Tanks is in there.
>>
>>33831028
Also WW2 museum and Airborne museums in Normandy.
There's pre modern age war there too:
>Napoleon's tomb
>Bayeux Tapestry in Normandy
>Agincourt
>>
>>33831055
>>33831028
Can i visit the actual d-day beach?
>>
>>33830963
This.

However:
>on the way from Paris to Cherbourg
No, not at all...
>>
>>33831055
>Napoleon's tomb
>not mentioning the army museum in the same building with a huge collection
>>
>>33831091
The actual beaches are really just beaches. You'll see a bunch of ruined bunkers and firing positions with litter in them and not much else outside of actual expositions and museums.
People take swims in the sea there nowadays, and the areas have essentially been picked clean.
>>
File: Chateau de Coucy.jpg (74KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Chateau de Coucy.jpg
74KB, 960x540px
>>33828260
Vimmy Ridge and the Newfoundland memorials are fantastic.

Musee de Somme in Albert has some good shit. Nice people.

Locknagar Crater

Chateu de Coucy is a must see

Went to France and Belgium this spring break as a Dept. of History WWI uni trip. Fantastic time. Definitely plan to go back.

I can recommend more if you'd like. Just let me know.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.