[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/ I found out an old AOR AR-2500 Radio Decipher, does anyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: images (51).jpg (18KB, 495x297px) Image search: [Google]
images (51).jpg
18KB, 495x297px
Hey /k/ I found out an old AOR AR-2500 Radio Decipher, does anyone knows how do can I get to tune cellphone calls? Pic related
>>
>>33820905
yes, all you need is time machine and go back to 1989.
>>
>>33821124
How so?
>>
>>33821163
Cell phone communication has been encrypted since 2G came on the scene in 1991.
>>
Very nice receiver, them AORs are good and expensive.

Is it the 5 - 550 MHz model or the 100 KHz - 1500 MHz model?
SSB/AM/FM/Broadcast FM scanner, great for SHTF
>>
>>33820905
Probably takes sum complex software to demodulate and decode gsm.
I think gsm uses both tdma and fdma and a cipher that's not very strong but still hard to crack without knowing the matter pretty damn well.
>>
>>33821724
It's very much possible with an HackRF and Linux with the correct GSM Rainbow tables. You can decode voice and text, although not in real time. But if someone uses GPRS or better, you are out of luck.

Post SHTF radios. Pic related, my general coverage transceiver. HF/6 meters/ Broadcast FM/Airband/VHF/UHF. Now I just need a soundcard interface for RTTY/PSK31/WEFAX etc
>>
TYL: you can decode P25 digital two way radios (albeit if unencrypted) with 10 bucks of hardware and 0 dollars worth of software.
>>
>>33821759

What kind of antenna do you have for it? I already have the meme-tier Baofeng for the VHF/UHF bands, been thinking about getting something for longer-distance comms. The prices aren't the issue, having to build what seems like 30 foot tall antenna mast in my yard feels like too much work.
>>
>>33822120
Sensitivity and selectivity sucks compared to a real scanner. And a scanner sucks compared to a real Motorola or Harris P25 rig.
>>
>>33822280
I'd have to reply to your question with another question. What is the range you'd like to work? What kind of terrain? Mainly reception (listening to others for news etc) or two-way communication between family/preppers/groups etc? Maybe VHF or UHF (maybe even using SSB instead of FM) with directional yagi antenna's could be your saviour instead of HF.

I use a 36ft endfed wire antenna around 10 feet above ground, I currently still only use it for reception.
NVIS operations would be your best option like me. 0-200 miles range skywave communication without any skip zones. Bummer is it only works between 3-8 MHz. All you'd need is a dipole for 40 meters at 10 feet according to this article. I haven't tested it (no license yet), but that should work rather reliably in the evenings.
http://www.voacap.com/documents/Straw1205.pdf

SSB phone is easy to use (just talk), but digital modes like PSK31 are much more robust in bad propagation/antenna conditions. Easily encrypted too. Just requires a computer to decode at both sides.
>>
>>33820905
You could, it would just sound like a bunch of random noise something like a 56k Dial-Up modem.
>>
>>33822370
Listening to the same ham radio repeater on a commercial Motorola rig when compared to a Boafeng is like having an angel pissing in your ears. Too bad that programming them costs an arm an a leg, and there aren't a whole lot dualband Motorola's
>>
>>33822396
Absolutely. If you're a ham you should just pirate the software and buy or make a cheap programming cable. Shouldn't cost you too much.
>>
>>33822404
I was under the impression you'd need unobtainium software that only runs museum grade computers?
>>
>>33822524
Not him, and don't know much about ham radio, but I do know there's plenty of software out there, even plenty of free software, eg. on Linux.
>>
>>33822562
We are talking about goddamn Motorola here. They are the HK of the radio world. Great shit, widely used by commercial organisations but horrible towards hams/private users.

Don't come at me with that CHIRP shit. Great for Yaesus and Baomemes, no support for Motorolas.
>>
>>33820905
wrong board
>>
>>33822593
Some software works fine if you just boot a modern computer (with a real serial port) off a DOS flash drive. This works for the MT2000 RSS for example.

Other software such as Maxtrac RSS is known to work well in DOSBox (slowed down emulator).

Some CPS is even for windows XP or windows 7. I have a lot of success running these in virtual machines.

Mostly it doesn't need to run on museum grade computers. And most of the software can be found with some google-fu. Hardly unobtanium.
>>
>>33822379
If you operating under a US FCC amateur license, other lics and muh freedom can I guess. Don't op with obvious full blown crypt. Lesser you can say it was for error checking.
>>
>>33820905
Interesting, but just how is this in any way /k/ related?
>>
>>33822607
>>33822652
Radio threads are a semi-regular occurrence on /k/ though
>>
>>33822637
Cool beans.
'Capped & many thanks

>>33822645
Oh yeah, cleartext during normal rule of law type events, crypto'd whenSHTF. Good point, you don't want to get nailed by the FCC for running crypto as a ham

>>33822660
This
>>
>>33822645
You can get around the crypto thing by using steganography hiding encrypted text into legitimate files.
There are several ham file transfer protocols.
>>
>>33822826
>crypto as a ham
Not really necessary. In most countries you can legally transmit encrypted voice and data on the ism bands as long as yoi adhere to the rules regarding output power,bandwidth and on air time.
Even in places where voice is illegal on ism bands,a lot of traffic is encrypted (telemetry etc.) so it's impossible to tell what's voice and what's data.

Btw I've been using encrypted 1W lora modems to transfer data between computers and to open my garage door for a year now and nobody seems to give a fuck.
>>
ITT: word and numbers I don't understand
>>
>>33823775
Anything I can do to change that?

Ask away f.am
>>
Is there a radio one can buy that transmits in the GHZ band?
>>
>>33825240

What, you mean like the 2.4GHz band?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.