[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How good is caseless ammo? Is it just a R&D thing NATO does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: Gewehr_G11_sk.jpg (26KB, 789x365px) Image search: [Google]
Gewehr_G11_sk.jpg
26KB, 789x365px
How good is caseless ammo?

Is it just a R&D thing NATO does to jerk themselves off or does it have an actual use in the field?
>>
Its a meme. They had serious heat dissipation and durability issues, though HK shills like to claim that they totally solved all that just before the project was cut goy, honest just a few more million shekels and we might really have something here *rubs hands*.
Cased telescoping though, that shits the future.
>>
>>33811248
I've thought about it and I can think of one major reason why we'd want it:

Less moving parts in firearms. As the Moist Nugget has taught us, fewer moving parts make for a better, more reliable firearm. A lot of moving parts are required to eject the spent casing--caseless ammo could make that unnecessary.

Combining caseless ammo with electronic ignition could make absolutely fucking indestructible guns that would have almost no moving parts.
>>
>>33811248
The big thinf that drives caseless ammunition development is simply reduced weight, whatwith and the whole "ounces become pounds" effect that Long Range Patrols tend to become victim to.
Another big thing woth caseless is that it's smaller, you can fit more of them in any designed magazine with less waste, assuming the magazine is properly designed. Don't stick caseless in a doublestack and expect shit to work just fine, because those are designed to work with round bullets.
>>
File: LSAT_2.gif (69KB, 800x596px) Image search: [Google]
LSAT_2.gif
69KB, 800x596px
>>33811270
Yea man that plastic cased stuff or whatever seems pretty great, idk why it's taking so long to get the LSAT ready though.
>>
It would be extremely useful if they could resolve some of the standing issues associated with it.
Chief among them is moisture and dirt contamination, without a metal shell/casing protecting the ignition material, it can get dirtied and either not ignite/explode or do so sub-optimally.
Secondly it's an issue of overheating or heat dissipation, brass or whatever cartridges absorb a lot of heat from the explosion and are then ejected, removing much of the heat from the gun-barrel system and allowing it to avoid warping or damage from excessive heat exposure.

The upside to it if it could be perfected is much lighter ammo in bulk, since metal casings are very heavy, you could possibly carry 1.2-1.4 or so times the amount of bullets you could for the same weight with caseless vs. cased.
The second big advantage is the removal of the need for an ejection mechanism, which of course is a complicated mechanical device and therefore a potential point of failure within a gun.

Overall the advantages of caseless ammo are outweighed bythe disadvantages at the moment, but some breakthrough in materials science or caseless ammo design or production could change that.

Personally I'm partial to the idea of disintegrating/sublimating cases, or cases that go from the solid state to gaseous under the action of firing a bullet. Not only is sublimation/evaporation a heavily endothermic process which absorbs a lot of heat and would therefore deal with the dissipation or overheating issue, but the gas would also fly out the gun barrel, meaning the need for an ejection mechanism would be eliminated, getting the best aspects of both caseless and cased ammunition.
>>
>>33811248
It would be useful for decreasing weight. Increasing the amount of ammo that can be on a soldier at one time and the amount that can be in the weapon at one time without fucking up the weight, that is why the G11 was able to have three mags resting on the front of it.

But then there is the issue that it is brittle and designs either have to change significantly to keep it protected, or it has to be made very tough, which becomes a different aspect of design that has to be fucked up. The G11 probably pulled this off as best as it could be with the sealed plastic speed loaders to load each mag.

And waterproof munitions are nothing to make now, but would be challenging without the seal between case and round.
>>
File: G11Cartridge.jpg (222KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
G11Cartridge.jpg
222KB, 1600x1200px
>>33811331
Caseless round guns do still need an ejection system though, what if the round doesn't fire because of a faulty primer or something? Also, look at this, you still have got to eject the primer cup and that plastic thingy if i'm not mistaken.
>>
File: HKG11-action.webm (3MB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
HKG11-action.webm
3MB, 720x540px
>>33811374
Yes, but that's also not perfected, to get the full utility of caseless like what I was getting at you'd need something that was basically propellant + bullet. Also according to Wiki the G11 had no ejection or extraction steps or mechanism, although there was a way to manually handle improperly fired or stuck rounds using some of the gun machinery, so it must have just fired that stuff out of the barrel after the bullet or something since it apparently needed no ejection mechanism.
>>
File: 1478226965568.jpg (111KB, 588x588px) Image search: [Google]
1478226965568.jpg
111KB, 588x588px
>>33811270
>Claim
That was a problem in early prototypes using conventional nitrocellulose propellant. The G11 was just too complex and too ahead of its time to be worth replacing everything they already had.
>>
File: g11_feed.jpg (21KB, 255x344px) Image search: [Google]
g11_feed.jpg
21KB, 255x344px
>>33811435
The wiki is wrong then, the G11 had a mechanism to clear the chamber of leftover matter and in the case that the cartridge didn't detonate using the next cartridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv_eVojV2zo
>>
>>33811558
Ok, thanks for that information.
Was the ejection or extraction mechanism a lot simpler than a comparable one for traditional cased cartridges?
>>
>>33811587
I guess you could say so since as far as i know it just relies on the next cartridge pushing the last cartridge out, i suspect the same kind of mechanism will be used for plastic case straight wall ammunition for the LSAT and so on.
>>
Both caseless and telescoped cartridges are shitty pipe-dream ideas.
>>
>>33811661
Fuck off LSAT style plastic ammo is fucking great.
>>
>>33811661
> Self-Powered Flying machines are a shitty pipe-dream idea
Caseless and Telescoped aren't even super-revolutionary and would only require some technological innovation, refinement, and ingenuity to get working well.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.