[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what gas masks/filters would keep me alive if i ever needed to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 18

File: m40.jpg (40KB, 350x445px) Image search: [Google]
m40.jpg
40KB, 350x445px
what gas masks/filters would keep me alive if i ever needed to use one?

i hear alot about certain filters having asbestos or something other that will kill you in them
>>
>>33796178
Depends on what you're planning to protect yourself against. Pretty much any surplus mask will do fine against tear gas, maybe paint fumes if you're doing a project. For stuff like VX you'll really need a gasmask and full MOPP. While the mask will protect your most vulnerable parts, your skin can still absorb nerve agents.
As far as more basic stuff like mustard and chlorine gas, its still mostly survivable even without a gas mask so long as you get help for it, regardless a gas mask would suffice.
As far as masks go pretty much anything relatively modern thats western will do the trick. I would recommend an M40 like what you have in that pic and what filters were issued with it.

In regards with asbestos being in the filters, don't worry about that too much because those stopped being as prevalent around the 60's. Even the soviet GP5 filters are just activated charcoal.
>>
If you are serious about protecting yourself from lethal chemicals I would suggest just going for a scientific/industrial mask from 3M. They're not as cool or rugged as a military mask, but you can bet your life that the filters are up to spec.

>>33797200
>mustard or chlorine
>mostly survivable
If you call being blind and having serious lung damage "living", sure.
>>
>>33797226
You must have missed the part anon, where I said its mostly survivable if you seek medical attention.
>>
>>33797254
Medical attention can't really give you your eyes back or unfuck your lungs. You'd live, but you'd probably have serious vision problems and some difficulty breathing for life.
>>
>>33796178
fuck the retards screaming
"MUH ASBESTOS"
they're retards who don't know what they are talking about.
to start out...
Rumor has it that most Russian and other former eastern bloc countries that produced filters stopped using asbestos before the 80s
this of course hasn't been confirmed because no one speaks cryllic nonesense
However you should keep in mind even some recent US filters can be harmful that contain chromium.
For example the c2 filter (not to be confused with the c2 a1)
another thing you can look at is whether or not the filter is damaged. If it is a minuscule dent I wouldn't worry about it but if it is clearly unusable or if you think it would negatively affect the seal in any way disregard it and throw it away.

Despite the similar thread size the 40mm eastern bloc and the 40mm nato filters may fit but I wouldn't garantee it. I would suspect that the thread sizes may be slightly off so just stick to whichever filter is typical to your mask.

but if you are planning on facing anything more than nuclear threats such as biological, or chemical then you will want to have some sort of MOPP style gear. This is characterized by the activated charcoal/carbon lining on the inside of the fabric which will take care of that. As well as some gloves, hood, and boots.
Any filter that uses activated charcoal in it is good for NBC (within reason: don't think you can slap some charcoal into a normal respirator and think you are ready for the zone)

so its a lot to think about but build up your collection over time. Chances are if you were caught in an attack unexpectedly you would die anyway.
>>
>>33796178
this
>>33797200
is all solid, any blister agent or nerve gas is probably going to kill you whether you have a mask or not, but there are many chemical hazards they will protect you from. m40s are solid, it would be the one i grabbed of mine if there were an issue, but i have a box of these swiss filters that are pretty good too.
http://www.budk.com/Swiss-Gas-Mask-With-Bag-And-Filter-34268
they use to be cheap, like most surp they seem to have dried up however. an israeli mask would be another okay option.
>>
>>33797265
As far as the lungs go, doesn't the chlorine get absorbed and cause secretions to build up? You just need to intubate and treat the pneumothorax.
Kind of similar to mustard gas, except you'll have to make sure that the airway doesn't obstruct and GTFO. That one is a bit harder.
After reading up on it, most deaths from mustard gas are the secondary effects of pneumonia. I'm not saying it wont fuck you up, but in OP's fantasy where he's caught in a pinch in a gas attack without a respirator he can still likely survive.
The effects of pneumonia being a side effect was from WW1 mind you where medicine was far more primitive.
>>
File: Various chemical weapons.png (29KB, 619x449px) Image search: [Google]
Various chemical weapons.png
29KB, 619x449px
>>33797326
Here's just a follow up.
In short blister agents, blood agents and respiratory agents are survivable assuming you can get out of the area ASAP and if you aren't down wind.
Nerve agents will kill you quick, or at least rapidly incapacitate you, so you'll need buddy care with antidote and full MOPP.

OP, if you're just looking a respirator for general use, I'd recommend an M40 or even an M50 if you're feeling spendy.
I wouldn't recommend anything soviet, except for maybe a PMK, an MCU-2/p or even the Israeli masks.
>>
>>33797364
Yeah most of the soviet stuff looks cool but they have a different system of attaching
>aka pulling a giant rubber sock over your head
I don't think that they would be very comfortable so that's an issue but more importantly there isn't a very good way to attach filters without either taking off the mask or putting yourself at risk of inhaling some bad shit while you're wearing it. Also no drinking straw
>>
File: GasmaskPBFwhite1-800x800.jpg (56KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
GasmaskPBFwhite1-800x800.jpg
56KB, 800x800px
>>33797418
The PMK solves most of those issues.
I used to own a PBF, actually was my first gas mask in my collection.
Was surprisingly comfortable and did well for paint fumes, though I don't believe it was for more except for irritants.
>>
Pic is of a PMK, they have the straps and a canteen tube. I think there are several different versions of them though.
>>
>>33796178
Just by a 3M full face off amazon. Yeah, I know it doesn't look very operator, but the mask acts like a full-face replacement for safety glasses and it'll work when you need it.

The pink pancake filters are used when dealing with asbestos, so they'll filter the shit out of particals in the air. There's also chemical filters available too.
>>
>>33797444
czeched

and yeah I just got a good deal on a couple m10m czech masks from BudK

They are coming in a little.
I've heard the filters are a pain but that it is also one of the most comfortable masks to wear, but also that that was due to the style of filters used

the pbf looks a little funny to me but I don't have any problems with it. I would not like the sock style it uses though so I guess that is something to think about.
>>
File: M17 and M45.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
M17 and M45.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>33797720
Hey the M10 is pretty solid. I used to own one, but also had an M17 so I figured both were kind of redundant at the time.
At one point I had around a dozen or so different masks in my collection, a few being fairly rare prototypes. God stuff though.
Not sure if you're the OP or not but just remember the M10 isn't going to do a whole lot for you other than tear gas protection.
>>
>>33797755
I'm not op

But its fine I don't need it for much other than for looking cool.
And btw they actually do have NBC filters that are packaged in a plastic wrap and then foil. I bought a set along with my mask.

I wish m40 were still sub 40 dollars, I'm broke.
that's sweet m45 though.
>>
>>33797787
Oh cool, I didn't know they made those. Nice.
>>
>>
>>33797755
Do you have the whole kit for the M45?
Filter hose, microphone cable, hood, etc?
>>
>>33797226
>you can bet your life that the filters are up to spec
Why not get a cool looking gas mask and filters to fit it?
>>
>>33797226
>If you call being blind and having serious lung damage "living", sure.
I met an old guy when i was little that was a WW1 vet, this was in the mid 80's, and he survived a mustard gas attack, he was a cranky old fuck, even when my great grandfather was a kid, but he was alright. he was worse off from smoking pipes nonstop for 90 something years than anything the germans could have done to him.
>>
>>33796178
These threads come up so fucking often we need something about them in the sticky.
>>
File: 2qs2qvk.jpg (466KB, 1599x1098px) Image search: [Google]
2qs2qvk.jpg
466KB, 1599x1098px
Why were the drinking straws removed from variations of the S10, I would love to have an S10 able to connect a filter on both sides, reinforced lenses, drinking straw, outsert lenses, and the ability to seal when a filter is removed.
>>
>>33796178
anything milsurp is just for display. anyone that tells you otherwise is a sperg lord.

activated charcoal has a very limited life

go to home depot and get a 3m full face respirator
you're welcome.
>>
>>33800420
>implying the "mods" give a shit about having a quality board with quality info easily available

you're on the wrong chan, son
>>
>>33800738

Fucking awesome lineup. Got more of these?
>>
>>33796178
>what gas masks/filters would keep me alive if i ever needed to use one?

None. You have no training or support
>>
File: killsthemask.png (164KB, 285x302px) Image search: [Google]
killsthemask.png
164KB, 285x302px
>>33797755
>gp5 filter on an m45
h e r e s y
>>
Beep beep best respirator coming through.
>>
File: cc.jpg (1MB, 2325x1777px) Image search: [Google]
cc.jpg
1MB, 2325x1777px
>>33796178
>what gas masks/filters would keep me alive if i ever needed to use one?

They wont save you.
>>
>>33796178
Use for what, anon?
>>
FM12 is best for the money, they were 55$ brand new with filters on ebay a few months ago
>>
>>33803924
That's not an S10 or MSA millennium
>>
>>33804019
GSR's are good to go, don't be a bitch.
>>
File: gsr_proportions.png (148KB, 389x325px) Image search: [Google]
gsr_proportions.png
148KB, 389x325px
>>33804050
>gsr
>good
>>
>>33804019
also this
>>
>>33797457
Your pic is a PMK-2. PMK-1 (on right) doesn't have the ability to swap out filter position on left or right. PMK-3 (on left) has larger oval shaped lenses, a different drinking system, and an oronasal cup.

With the PMK-1 and 2, I'd reommend finding a better replacement for the drinking tubes. The rest of the mask is perfectly fine, but the drink tubes are made of an extremely cheap rubber. From personal experience, preinstalled ones will be warped and very leaky, and the spare ones tear easily.

Surgical tubing should be an excellent replacement.
>>
Buy something cool looking and old from somewhere in the former soviet bloc. Surely 50 year old brittle plastic and filters containing asbestos will be more useful than a modern commercial solution.
>>
>>33803924
I hear that this can be worn for 24hrs at a time when other models can only be worn for around 5hrs, They mean the filter right?
>>
>>33804373
You can use the mask with a single filter, so you're able to swap filters simultaneously without having to hold your breath.
>>
>>33804410
assuming you can get your hands on the M50's bayonet filters, of which no other mask uses, during shtf
this is why 40mm is and always will be surpreme
>>
>>33800746
^^^
see this guy
he's an idiot don't listen to him
>>
>>33803876
they're actually nato filters. They're old surplus
I t h i n k?
>>
File: umadbro.png (47KB, 121x130px) Image search: [Google]
umadbro.png
47KB, 121x130px
>>33804267
>>
File: stop says elmo.gif (2MB, 250x148px) Image search: [Google]
stop says elmo.gif
2MB, 250x148px
>>33804431
>during shtf
>>
>>33804363
anti russian shill
>>
>>33804449
pick a c2a1 for that shite senpai
>>33804458
okay yeah but have fun with your $200+ hype mask that uses a filter attachment method that was obsolete before it was introduced
>>
>>33804458
>protection from fallout
>not during shtf
>>
File: filterbrain.png (791KB, 680x727px) Image search: [Google]
filterbrain.png
791KB, 680x727px
/k/ on gas mask filters
>>
File: are you fucking serious.png (2MB, 1043x939px) Image search: [Google]
are you fucking serious.png
2MB, 1043x939px
>>33804472
Have fun spending your likely limited income on a bunch of stupid shit for a "shtf" scenario that's on the lower end of the list of "Bad things likely to happen to me".

Make a list of what could happen to you, then sort in order of severity AND likelihood. Stop thinking like a faggot mallninja.
>>
>>33803679
Kinda second this.
I heard once that gas masks are made so you live long enough to accomplish your mission, not to keep you alive in hazardous environments.
>>
File: heav.png (451KB, 660x434px) Image search: [Google]
heav.png
451KB, 660x434px
>>33804499
>i-it costs more so it's better...!
>>
>>33804513
>Hurrrr he buys gas masks for collecting and not muh spoopy shtf scenario lol what a fag
>>
>>33804528
>$200 modern mask
>"collection"
please tell me you at least copped it for way less than market value
>>
>>33804508
industrial practices say differently

gas masks have some practical uses, you're just being purposefully ignorant.
>>
>>33804545
I'm not even the same guy you dumb nigger. I don't collect masks nor do I spend money on them because my job supplies me with one.
>>
>>33804508
That's a bunch of bullshit.

>>33804545
Please trip so we can filter you.
>>
>>33798083
Wasn't there and Israeli gas mask filter that looked just like the russian M11 EO18 and EO1-8-1?
>>
>>33803924
You're missing a filter.
>>
>>33804574
GSR functions with a single or double filter config.
>>
Stepping back from the price or scenario arguments, looking at just 40mm vs M50 Bayonet alone, pretend you yourself are the one buying the filters, why would you choose bayonet, which comes from confined and limited soruces, versus 40mm which can literally be picked up everywhere? That's what I'm not understanding here.
>>
>>33804618
Anyone serious about getting protective gear for a scenario requiring a gas mask will have enough spare filters of each kind, so your questions is kind of moot, since the best choice would be something NIOSH certified.
>>
>>33803924
Everyone is saying this is over $200 when I can find them on ebay for as little as £70
>>
>>33804545
Hi, gas mask dood here. I got it the full $650 retail kit for $150. My bro in Georgia found some guy selling the full unissued kit for $150, so I got it from him. I'm not a mall ninja, although I am showing off. In my mind, filter abundancy is not a massive issue. Although backups are great, and I have four, my plan is to make it to safety, not to live in my mask. I doubt I'll ever need it anyway, but it's still cool as hell imo.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.