[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who /hema/ here? To what extent can longsword technique be practiced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 15

File: Battle of Schwetz.jpg (379KB, 1600x920px) Image search: [Google]
Battle of Schwetz.jpg
379KB, 1600x920px
Who /hema/ here?

To what extent can longsword technique be practiced at home? I'm a huge fan of medieval history and I'd love to learn longsword fencing, but I'm about an hour and a half away from my nearest HEMA club, and it appears to be full of autists and little kids and is more about dressing up and LARPing than actually studying the technique.

So I would probably only be able to spar like once every two weeks or once a month. Would that be enough, combined with studying technique at home every day, to gain a competency in it?
>>
There is a lot of good YouTube channel outthere
You don't really need to go to a club for say, you need a friend near by who likes to practice it too, even better if they know what they doing, so you don't get any training scar.
Buy some books and practice footwork can be a good start
>>
I think HEMA is more of an /asp/ thing than /k/, so you might want to look there instead. As far as training at home, you can learn the basic techniques from study and solo practice. If you want to actualy be able to apply them properly in a fight/bout you'll need to have sparring partners, the more the better.
>>
File: Alt-Knight.jpg (56KB, 451x422px) Image search: [Google]
Alt-Knight.jpg
56KB, 451x422px
Alright, let's make this /k/. How useful would basic HEMA be to engagements like those at Sacramento or Berkeley? There's some stuff that wouldn't be all that great, probably, but Liechtenauer's Shortsword could be adapted.
>>
>>33760059
Depends if you can afford the practice equipment, and if you have the space to comfortably swing a sword in.
>Having access to an instructor is always best, to correct mistakes in form and action
>Alternatively, practice in front of a mirror
>Sparring with someone that wants to kick your ass, but not kill you is also nice

>>33761583
>sparring partners, the more the better
For diversity of skill and character, maybe. Fighting different numbers of people though, is a skill that changes with the number.

>>33762757
Individual skill is less relevant in this application, as formation combat would be the better option. Basic skill would be ideal, with the right discipline. The challenge is getting anons all together for practice, without legal issues. Maybe make a private martial arts school?
>>
For the record, I'm not HEMA, but I am a history undergrad with a strong taste for anything military.
>>
>>33762757
>Alright, lets make this /pol/
Fuck off
>>
>>33762757
>how useful would techniques designed for one-on-one combat against another skilled swordsman be for swinging a wooden club at a bunch of stoned rioters

Gee I fucking wonder, fuck off back to /pol/
>>
File: sword waifu.webm (1MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
sword waifu.webm
1MB, 640x640px
>>33760059
posting /hema/ webms
>>
File: sword guy.png (479KB, 613x623px) Image search: [Google]
sword guy.png
479KB, 613x623px
>>33763990
>>
File: slice and dice.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
slice and dice.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>33763996
>>
File: master swordsman.webm (2MB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
master swordsman.webm
2MB, 1000x563px
>>33764003
>>
File: knight fighting Q U E E N.webm (765KB, 616x710px) Image search: [Google]
knight fighting Q U E E N.webm
765KB, 616x710px
>>33764011
>>
>>33764011
That was his video explaining the basic combo of the Witcher 3, right?
>>
>>33763990
That isn't HEMA its some gay anime larping shit
>>
File: fit meals.jpg (413KB, 1776x1326px) Image search: [Google]
fit meals.jpg
413KB, 1776x1326px
>>33764023
yes and i belive he says that while it's fun and flashy for the game, he's just demonstrating it, not suggesting anyone actually do this since it involves you giving your back to your opponent constantly.
>>
>>33763990
Get this gay shit out of here
>turning your back to your opponent in combat
ded
>>
File: 1493151677733.jpg (63KB, 625x393px) Image search: [Google]
1493151677733.jpg
63KB, 625x393px
>>33764062
I guarantee you this girl could kick your ass unless you used your strength to overpower her technique asshole.
>>
File: 1469761378610.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1469761378610.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>33760059
There's a HEMA general on /asp/

>>33763990
>posting /hema/ webms
>posts cringy shit
You're doing this on purpose, are you?

>>33764097
low quality bait
>>
So to ask the eternal question: what is better, dodging or parrying?
>>
>>33764144
What is the point of what's going on in that webm?

If they're wearing protection like that then they can't simply be scoring based on a touch or a hit because the whole point of the armor is that not every hit is going to be life threatening or even result in an injury. So it follows that that means they need to literally be going balls-to-the-wall and trying to kill each other, which they obviously can't do.

Which means they have to be scoring based on a touch system like everyone else... so why the fuck are they wearing all the retarded armor instead of normal HEMA-approved fencing gear?
>>
File: 1469753817618.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1469753817618.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>33764169
>So it follows that that means they need to literally be going balls-to-the-wall and trying to kill each other, which they obviously can't do.
Says who?
>>
>>33764158
Probably depends on who you ask.

15th and 16th German swordsmen had a much more aggressive approach to fencing. Their whole style revolves around momentum and the continuation of it, not giving your opponent a chance to recover and collect his thoughts. They preferred parrying because it usually allows you to continue your momentum and keep it going by immediately transitioning into a strike.

Contemporary Italian fencers preferred a more defensive approach to fencing. They favored counter-strikes and using their *opponent's* momentum rather than their own. So in their old manuals you're much more likely to see dodging as a lead-in to striking your opponent while he's off-center.

I never read any French manuals so I can't comment on what their technique was. And of course, these are generalizations. There were obviously German masters that taught defensive schools of thought and Italian masters that were very aggressive in their technique, but in general this was the major distinction between those two styles of fencing.

t. history student who had to do an entire semester project on this shit
>>
>>33764185
Because you aren't allowed to kill people for sporting purposes. Again, in your webm, that guy can wail on him all day with that blunt sword. It doesn't prove anything in my mind, especially not enough to award a point. Wearing chainmail, that sword would never get through and do any serious damage to that guy no matter how hard he swings. You have to usually use piercing strikes to break through chainmail, and usually in vulnerable areas like the armpits and groin. That's not what that guy is doing.

It looks like they're just looking for an excuse to beat the shit out of each other and aren't actually concerned with who the better swordsman is
>>
>>33764201
Very informative, so both work, depending on the style.
>>
File: 1482650662254.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1482650662254.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>33764158
You should know both because they let you do different things.
>>
File: IMG_20161008_112118613.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161008_112118613.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>33764272
>people actually watch this shit
>>
its almost like /asp/ isn't a board.
>>
>>33764296

fencing of any kind is pretty homo and prone to cheese tactics
>>
>>33764248
Yeah, although I would say I much prefer parrying to dodging. Dodging tends to keep you away from the sword. In theory, that sounds nice, until you realize that it's much harder to hit someone that's right on top of you than it is to hit someone who's right at the pointy end of your stick.

That's another thing you see in Germany manuals. Some of the German masters allegedly would disqualify any students who took a single step backwards, but this is likely hyperbole.

I'm partial to the German form of fencing. Constantly moving forward, constantly carrying the momentum of your swing forward by parrying strikes and sliding down their blade, etc.

I don't have much hands-on experience with fencing but I do with boxing. And I know from experience that in many bouts where I tried to remain defensive and counter-attack a lot, I got my ass kicked. But when I stayed in closer and didn't leave big gaps in between by sets of punches, I tended to emerge out on top.

That's just anecdotal though. Either way works if you're skilled in that method.
>>
File: 1432317412092s.jpg (4KB, 125x82px) Image search: [Google]
1432317412092s.jpg
4KB, 125x82px
>>33764298
>talk about weapons on the weapons board
>turbo-autists REEEEE because it isn't the kind of weapons they like

I guess the threads on competitive shooting should go to /asp/ too. After all, they're talking about the sporting aspects of guns, not the guns themselves. Retard.
>>
>>33764349

you aren't talking about weapons, this thread is specifically about hema, which is an alternative sport and has generals on /asp/. besides this thread is ass anyway, it's just a trojan thread for /pol/ to talk about their stupid protest wars
>>
>>33764367
>you aren't talking about weapons
Yes we are
>it's just a trojan thread for /pol/
There was literally only a single post by some faggot from /pol/ and he got shut down real quick. Go fuck off to another thread if you don't like it, sperglord
>>
File: 1443630723770.jpg (499KB, 1080x955px) Image search: [Google]
1443630723770.jpg
499KB, 1080x955px
>>33764367
>Welcome to /k/, 4chan's weapons board. Our board centers around weapons, armor, and other myriad military technology. While guns are the primary topic, threads involving any other sort of weapons, from swords and knives to tanks and jet fighters, come up frequently as well.
>>
>>33764367
That was one fucking post
>>
http://www.gajardoni.com/product/diamond-800-n-jacket/

I've been saving up for this jacket, it looks sexy as hell. My old HEMA group was just a bunch of fucking dorks and retards, but I started going to a new one in Chicago that's a lot more professional. If I ever had the money it would be cool to open up a HEMA "school" or something.
>students all wearing these nice black gambesons
>instructor in white
>walls decorated with fleur-de-lis and illuminations from medieval fencing manuals
A man can dream
>>
>>33760059
>to gain a competency in it?
Maybe over the course of like 10 years.

It's about intensity over time. If you're training every day for a hours a day you're going to get to a greater level of competency in a shorter time. That training includes training against resisting opponents.

Which is why a kid in a decent high school wrestling program at the end of his first or second season will be eons ahead of the nerd who goes to Ameri-Do Kempo three times a week for an hour class for a year or two.
>>
>>33764272
>darksouls.webm
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.