[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How often does /k/ clean their guns? I recently bought a 1911

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1911.png (424KB, 800x510px) Image search: [Google]
1911.png
424KB, 800x510px
How often does /k/ clean their guns? I recently bought a 1911 R1 and wanted to make sure everything is in working order by emptying 1 or 2 mags into some old soda bottles/cans but don't really want to spend 25 minutes stripping it down and cleaning it afterwards since I'll definitely being doing that anyways on Sunday when I get back from range with family. Also it's not like it's gonna be collecting any dust during the next 5 days since it's got a case that it sits in when not in use.
>>
My dad's R1 starts malfunctioning between 50-100 consecutive rounds on the range. Keep it clean, dude.
>>
It's a Remington so it's going to rust regardless. Just don't worry about it.
>>
>>33759632
I clean them after every trip since I'm not a lazy slob and cleaning guns is therapeutic. Also, then my guns are ready if I ever have to use them or for spontaneous range trips
>>
>>33759632
LUBE
U
B
E
I've played around with 3 R1s and they consistently lock up within an hour of range time. Even quicker with WWB. Get you a bucket of white lithium grease and go to town.
As for cleaning, wipe it down, brush out the barrel, wipe it down, take a q-tip to the internals, wipe it down. You're good to go. I use Hoppes wipes because they're cheap and smell good.
>>
I rent so I don't need to deal with cleaning and storage.
>>
File: Pistons.jpg (884KB, 1600x1599px) Image search: [Google]
Pistons.jpg
884KB, 1600x1599px
>>33759632
>How often does /k/ clean their guns?
Maybe once or twice a year for noncorrosive firing guns with chromed bores. I just make sure the internals stay oiled to keep moisture away.
I pay more attention to non-chromed bores to make sure they stay clean and rust free. But don't touch much else that often.
And of course, corrosive ammo guns need a cleaning every time, not that it takes all that long. It's just annoying. On the plus side, it ensures that my round count never goes below about 10-11k, since I normally shoot noncorrosive.
>>
>>33759632
Bud with a Remington R1 you're gonna have to clean that fucker immediately. My buddy had one and it was an utter piece of shit, multiple types of failures, instant rust finish it was handled and not wiped down. Couldn't even leave it in his glovebox without it collecting major rust
>>
>>33759632
Sell the R1 and you won't need to clean every time you shoot it. Get an SR1911 if you want a good entry level 1911. Mine has eaten 800-900 rounds of dirty steel case and has yet to fuck up without cleaning.
>>
Oh wow, sounds like R1s seize up something fierce. Take the advice of the other posters, OP.

Talking about cleaning generally, it honestly depends on the firearm how often you should clean. I tend to clean stuff I bring to the range right after a range trip, but for safe queens and even stuff I carry around on the farm (like my 10/22 and Savage O/U), cleaning three or four times a year keeps stuff in great working condition. I would suggest that you go over the externals your collection at least that often (regardless of use) with Hoppes wipes or Lucas gun oil applied with a soft cloth.
>>
I clean them every time I shoot. Don't think I could sleep if I didnt. Except for .22s. Those are usually only every 3 or 4 range trips.
>>
>>33759632
How are R1 Remington 1911 mags?

I have a Colt and Springfield and lately I've seen 4.5 to 5.0 stars for Remington 1911 mags but it's only guys with R1's or Kimbers posting reviews saying they function well.

The spring and follower looks different.
>>
Just clean it every 300-500 rounds. If the rails get dry from shooting or just from leaving it in a case for a mont or two, just lock the slide back and spray some clp in it and let it work its way down the rails. Thatll be good enough. Also get an idiot scratch prevention tool. Very cheap and effective.
>>
>>33759632
I enjoy cleaning mine so every time after the range

I don't need to but it's fun, I also shoot a lot of Tula which is dirty as fuck so it's slightly more warranted.
>>
File: 1492211080532.png (551KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1492211080532.png
551KB, 1280x720px
>>33759905
>>
>>33761252
I shoot a couple times a decade, so it's not worthwhile to buy one.
>>
File: Light my Fag.jpg (145KB, 464x259px) Image search: [Google]
Light my Fag.jpg
145KB, 464x259px
>>33761369
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.