[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any Officers or former O's on /k/? Currently in the process

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Any Officers or former O's on /k/?

Currently in the process of preparing my packet for Navy OCS. Recruiter keeps pushing pilot school hard. Not against it, but it's a long commitment. Also not sure if he bullshit me or not, but he said that the 6 years active starts at training, and online the 6 years active starts after pilot training.
I'm 24 now. I'd hate to get out at 32.
Havn't really discussed other options for jobs. I initially said intel/SWO/Supply.
Honestly just trying to experience some new fun shit while I'm still young, get paid well (decent) and get my masters paid for.

Flight school worth it?

Also any other general advice?

I'm between 3-6 months before shipping out to Newport. Just really started the process. I'm serious about the service, but just trying to go about it smart.
>>
Air Force officer. Trained in Pensacola. Fly - it's a pretty transferable job skill. SWO and supply suck. Intel means your phone spends its day charging or in a cubby in the front lobby/in your car.
>>
>>33755723
Any major tips about OCS? Also hows your social life?
>>
>>33755770

I can't speak to the navy side much.

I have a girlfriend, we met as she was finishing her doctorate. I got out on nights and weekends. I try hard to have a social life outside of work. It's difficult given how long your days can be. Have a hobby. I shoot USPSA, do BJJ, work out, game, and an active at church. Others work on cars, wood work, etc. But have a life when you take the uniform off.
>>
>>33755682
When I joined it was wings plus 8 years for pilot so it sounds like my info is out of date. Depending on your pipeline it could take a few years to even get your wings, so you would be looking at around ten total.

NFO is a shorter commitment but the clock starts when you get your wings.
>>
>>33755998

Part of that is that the navy has seemingly no sense of urgency to get people from API to primary to advanced. Your break in the Air Force between phases is maybe a week.
>>
Pilot is probably the coolest job you can get in the Navy, but if you get it you should plan to retire as a pilot. You are going to get to that point where hey I've already been in for 8, what's 12 more?
That 12 more is a paycheck for the rest of your life. If you give up a cool job with the option to be completely retired at 44 then you're a fool.

If you really want to be able to walk away, intelligence can lead to a pentagon job after 6-10 years. SWO is easier to walk away from after 6 and do your own thing but still has good options if you stay in, Supply will be all foreigners and the most retarded enlisted under you
>>
>>33757202
Well my long term goal has been to knock out my masters and possibly even a doctorate and work as a consultant for BCG or Bane. I'm from Mass so it fits for me to basically go back home. I have considered the prospect that I might absolutely love the job and just sick with it. But I'm also just generally concerned about my own personal life, family, friends, love interests etc. and the type of commitment it takes to be a Navy pilot
>>
>>33759398
If you want a lot more school don't go military.
GI Bill is great for getting out at 22-24 and getting a bachelors. You don't want to be getting out of school at 36 with no relevant work experience
>>
>>33759398
You sound like a whiney cocksucker. Flying in the navy is a lifestyle and if you're too worried about peripherals you don't have what it takes.
>>
>>33759554
Its nearly a decade of commitment. I'm not going to sign that much time of my life away without considering all the pitfalls.
You sound like a HOORAH Marine who doesn't know how to do anything else with his life except shoot kids and jack off all day.

>>33759470
It's not that I want more school, It's basically a requirement for those two consulting firms.

I'm planning on serving one way or another. And I am definitely going Officer route because I have a Bachelors, and I met all the requirements by long margins according to my recruiter. Squeaky clean record, athletics, Academics, volunteering etc.

And just as you mentioned that's why it's such a hassle. I'd love to fly, but it's a very long time, so I'm just weighting all my options.

Might go and talk to Army recruiters again.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.