[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best of the simple blowback submachine gun designs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: Owen-SMG.jpg (138KB, 960x710px) Image search: [Google]
Owen-SMG.jpg
138KB, 960x710px
What is the best of the simple blowback submachine gun designs? Everyone uses the STEN as a building reference, but surely of all the different cheap blowback designs from the era, one was the best right? Why not just copy that one?

How can I figure out which one it was?
>>
Uzi. Bolt over bore is best.
>>
>>33752201

How much difficult would that be to machine at home HYPOTHETICALLY than a traditional STEN design?
>>
>>33752209
No clue. I don't know shit about making firearms. I wouldn't think much harder though you just need mass tacked onto the bolt that goes over the bore instead of stacking all your bolt mass behind the bolt.
>>
>>33752209
Mac10/11 would be fairly easy if you have a welder (which can be a hundred bucks for a shitty harbor freight model).

It's basically just folded sheet metal welded into a shell and a barrel/bolt/simple trigger. Real uzi's have a lot more detail.
>>
>>33752189
THEORETICALLY

Uzi parts kits are $150

IDK how their receivers are made though. I suppose it's possible to look it up.
>>
>>33752189
>Why not just copy that one?
Not-invented-here-syndrome
>>
>>33752189
I've seen this camouflage on a Lee-Enfield at a gun show, what is it and who used it?
>>
>>33752189
>>33752209

Not from that era, but the simplest of all is the Luty (from a home gunsmith perspective).
>>
>>33752502
That is an Australian Owen gun from WW2 and they were spray painted like that at the factory.
>>
File: tmp_9639-1492971537535921054355.jpg (51KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_9639-1492971537535921054355.jpg
51KB, 480x480px
>>33752573
I knew what the gun was, but what about the actual camo of it?
>who used it in what campaign
>>
>>33752538

I own his book, which is actually the inspiration for me asking. Can't recommend it enough to anyone who doesn't own it

>>33752775

It was an Australian SMG that was actually pretty great. Australian personnel carried it and despite it looking like a piece of garbage, it was reliable and well liked. It had a full auto and semi selector, which was very unusual for the time. Apparently feeding from the top allows gravity to assist but I'm not sure if there's any actual science behind that
>>
>>33752260
other than all the custom machining you have to do
>>
>>33752775
its generic rhodie baby shit camo
>>
The Sterling and the Owen were well liked
>>
>>33752502
where do you live, i want to buy that enfield
>>
>>33752843
i don't see how having your rounds being pushed down from gravity assisting your spring wouldn't help?
>>
>>33752189

Sterling SMG or Uzi

/thread
>>
>Using an (((Uzi)))

No.
>>
>>33752843
>but I'm not sure if there's any actual science behind that
That'd be Newton's law of universal gravitation.
>>
>>33757067
Grow up
>>
>>33757067

What's the difference between an Uzi and a MAC-10?
>>
>>33752843
With modern mags gravity-assist is negligible, but back in an era when magazines were of a shitty quality with iffy QC it was a bigger factor.
>>
>>33757096
Same as the difference between a STEN and a PPSH-41. Both use a similar design philosophy and principles of operation but they are made in different places.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.