[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My father is an idiot and cleans all of his gun bolts and handgun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: images (4).jpg (9KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images (4).jpg
9KB, 275x183px
My father is an idiot and cleans all of his gun bolts and handgun slides using a steel wool pot brush, water, and dish soap. How do I explain to him without hurting his feelings that he's a retard?
>>
>>33743867
Nothing, just laugh at him when his shit rusts. He's a grown up.
>>
>>33743867
Just accept it as an endearing quirk of your old man, and maybe just rib him a bit about it if you see him do it. Cherish your quality time with him
>>
Buy him a cleaning kit as a present and dont be a faggot about the situation.
>>
>>33744165

This

>>33746862

And this
>>
>>33743867
I do the same thing my guns aren't piles of rust. Maybe you just dont know how to clean guns....
>>
>>33748768
>>33743939
>rust
no more like his shit is going to explode. steel wool takes minute amounts of material off the metal and enough can cause a boom.

>>33743867
tell your dad NOT to do that shit, use a kitchen pad for cleaning dishes, or something NOT steel to clean the internal parts.

trust me, there's a reason why I use fine grit sandpaper to take .001 off the parts I turn on a lathe
>>
>>33743867
My dads gun cleaning method is to just pour oil over everything. The spatter that emerges from his 22s is funny. Old people gonna old, as long as he dries it off itll be fine.

These are weapons systems designed for use and abuse, not delicate Italian suits needing dry cleaning anon. It'll be ok.
>>
Just bring it up when he offers to hand them down to you.
>"Hell no I don't want them, you clean them with steel wool and dish soap. If I wanted something scratched to hell and covered in corrosion I'd fish one from the bottom of a lake."
>>
>>33749089
Are you a fucking retard? If he does that enough he will cause his firearm to explode in his hands.
>>
>>33748991
It takes a steel of equal or greater hardness to cause damage, tool steel and the steel used to make guns is WAAYYY harder than the low carbon steel in steel wool.
>>
None of my guns have ever known the rasp of a bronze bore brush. (I also don't shoot revolvers/un-jacketed rounds in that case exceptions can be made). My shotgun chokes are cleaned separate. High wear and fouling areas at most are scrubbed with a stiff toothbrush.

For the last few years all I have used is MPro7 as a solvent, Froglube as lube. Done my best to shoot in the cold, also done my best to leave a gun unused with Froglube to see if any ill-effects with regards to functionality arise... nothing yet, longest dormant period about 6 months.

"cleaning" guns with regards to most people's understanding IMO does more harm than good.
>>
>>33749106
Now that we got the autsitic kids opinion on how to break it to him without hurting his feelings, we can move on.
>>
>>33749119
>tool steel
lol no, tool steel isn't used in firearms. 9130 and C-158 are case hardened steels. the outside is hardened, but the inside is not. oh and steel cased ammunition WILL eventually wear out the chamber of a rifle, albeit it would be prudent to replace the barrel before that happens because of the pressures.

>>33749174
>"cleaning" guns with regards to most people's understanding IMO does more harm than good.
this, so much. unless you're shooting corrosive or straight up unjacketed lead then run warm soapy water down the barrel or any other parts that move. lube and store.
>>
>>33749109
>If he does that enough he will cause his firearm to explode in his hands.
Let's be honest, that's unlikely to actually happen. Lots of guns get abused, but few guns actually blow up. It's an unnecessary risk to be sure, but still not likely to happen.
>>
File: 1397209078233.jpg (82KB, 743x916px) Image search: [Google]
1397209078233.jpg
82KB, 743x916px
>>33749227
>unless you're shooting corrosive or straight up unjacketed lead

but i do
also i use white ammonia for cleaning, gets everything but leaves the metal exposed to rust in the air
so i use gun oil liberally and a little motor oil on some parts and for a few guns in key paces i use axle grease
and graphite and white lithium grease on one gun and only one part of that gun
>>
>>33749307
jesus, I was gonna suggest some hoppes 9, after cleaning but you're going above and beyond.
>>
File: JPEG_20170328_154657.jpg (3MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
JPEG_20170328_154657.jpg
3MB, 4128x3096px
>>33748991
>taking a thou off using sand paper
Confirmed for never even seeing a lathe..

It takes like 30 minutes to remove thou worth of material from even aluminum or copper. Use a finishing tool you fucking tool.

T. Machinist
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.