[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anything you fantasize about /k/? I constantly find

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 17

File: Arsenal_72.jpg (90KB, 850x430px) Image search: [Google]
Arsenal_72.jpg
90KB, 850x430px
Is there anything you fantasize about /k/?

I constantly find myself imagining the Navy reviving the Arsenal Ship idea, but also mounting fuck-off huge railguns on it to effectively produce a modern battlecruiser or battleship.
>>
Amphibious paddle-wheel tank. 650 tons. Would need a 737 engine to have the same horsepower proportionately as a large patrol boat or a tank 10 times normal size.

It would have to be buoyant, and the paddlewheels would need to also be used as tracks.
>>
>>33719858
why not have 3 smaller ships with a single mounted rail gun each instead of one ship with 3 railguns? 1 well placed torpedo sinks that thing, as opposed to needing 3 well placed torpedos to take out the individual ships.
Seems like a bad idea to have so many eggs in one basket.
>>
>>33719858

I spend my time worldbuilding a hard scifi world set in a future cold war between the powers of earth and rebel factions in the outer solar system, where the former groups are too busy spying on each other to really care about the rebels and the rebel groups are too divided amongst themselves and the depths of space to truly overpower the earth factions. So you have this stalemate where Earth could just nuke every piece of shit rock in the belt and the spacers could just drop a big rock on earth for the lols but neither really does so they just wave around their civilisation killing weapons at each other threatening to do it this time

And also pirates in rhe rings around saturn or something I'm not quite 100% on that bit yet

My interest in /k/ related stuff came from me researching modern military structure so I could make my space marine forces accurate
>>
Active defense field made up of lasers and railguns from hundreds of kilowatts to hundreds of megawatts and maybe beyond rendering conventional weapons including smart weapons completely obsolete. Missiles, bombs and artillery no longer work as none of those will ever reach their target. War as we've known it is no longer possible.

Only effective way to wage ground war is by large scale covert operations, otherwise your options are limited on something that can't intercepted, such as dropping a sufficiently massive object from orbit, relativistic kill vehicles or something.
>>
>>33720302
Assuming similar costs, the three small ships are less capable. You're also paying for three radar systems, three fire controls, three propulsion systems, etc. It's cheaper to put everything on a single ship.
>>
File: PUB_SSGN_Ohio_Class_Poster_lg[1].jpg (185KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [Google]
PUB_SSGN_Ohio_Class_Poster_lg[1].jpg
185KB, 1280x640px
>>33719858
The SSGN converted Ohio class submarines fulfill the arsenal ship mission.
>>
File: born to feel.jpg (31KB, 500x632px) Image search: [Google]
born to feel.jpg
31KB, 500x632px
I fantasize about owning a gun.
>>
>>33720394

I think that's The Expanse.
>>
>>33721480
found the yuro.
>>
File: NH43901-resized.jpg (494KB, 1500x1163px) Image search: [Google]
NH43901-resized.jpg
494KB, 1500x1163px
>>33719858
Zeppelins returning as drone or super tucano carriers. Never going to happen but goddamn would it be cool.
>>
>>33719858
There's no reason not to make that submersible, a few dozen meters of water makes the best armour and the best stealth too.

And once you do that, it's basically just a regular nuclear submarine but with deck guns.

>>33720302
>why not have 3 smaller ships with a single mounted rail gun each instead of one ship with 3 railguns
Because you'd need three huge powerplants to run them instead of one, plus three of everything else.

Railguns are going to need a huge powerplant of some sort, may as well consolidate that stuff.
>>
File: British M1 Submarine 2.jpg (781KB, 2678x1532px) Image search: [Google]
British M1 Submarine 2.jpg
781KB, 2678x1532px
>>33719858
>Is there anything you fantasize about /k/?
Imagine pic related, but with a nuclear sub and a railgun.
>>
>>33720302
Torp countermeasures are a thing.
>>
>>33721480
Some day anon. Some day soon
>>
I'm writing a military science fiction story and often vividly visualize the battle scenes I write, a well my take on futuristic armor, vehicles, weapons,and starships.

Granted, I'm not sure how realistic my battles and descriptions of tactics are since I don't have a military background, but I;m doing my research. I'm also a fan of more realistic science fiction, so I'm trying hard on that end too.

It's funny- I can perfectly visualize what I want everything to look like, but if you ask me to describe it, I probably won't be able to.
>>
>>33720302

Because those can't mount railguns. The reason the Zumwalt is the size of a cruiser is because smaller ships are physically incapable of being as well armed.
>>
File: 2a6.jpg (37KB, 509x619px) Image search: [Google]
2a6.jpg
37KB, 509x619px
>>33719858
a girlfriend
>>
>>33719858

living outside of commiefornia
>>
File: IMG_2162.jpg (232KB, 1466x1050px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2162.jpg
232KB, 1466x1050px
>tfw you will never be a glorious principes fighing tooth and claw with your blood brothers for the honour of the glorious Eagle
>never form ranks and brace for a charge impact
>never flawlessly execute testudos and survive a hail of arrows

I cri everytiem
>>
File: Consolidated-PBY-Catalina.jpg (257KB, 3000x1539px) Image search: [Google]
Consolidated-PBY-Catalina.jpg
257KB, 3000x1539px
>ywn inherit a PBY Catalina from your eccentric uncle that you didn't know existed.
>ywn fly around 3rd world countries performing strange tasks for stranger people.
>ywn live an adventurous life, flying from one body of water to the next in order to complete odd jobs

At least I can jerk it to anime tiddies though
>>
File: 1490324461408.jpg (202KB, 1200x897px) Image search: [Google]
1490324461408.jpg
202KB, 1200x897px
Power armor. If power armor were real I would enlist in the military immediately, just to feel the rush of hefting an LMG while enduring a hail of small arms fire.

Won't ever happen though.
>>
File: whynot.jpg (148KB, 960x831px) Image search: [Google]
whynot.jpg
148KB, 960x831px
>>33719858
Probably because it's not a good maritime ship. Navy would rather have cruisers or destroyers because they may operate independently, are more flexible, etc

Something like this always needs a fleet. I can imagine an wave of Arsenal Ships sailing behind a naval battlegroup.

I think submarines have this role covered. Less vulnerable, tested designs, etc.
>>
I want to go to space.

I want to maintain resource extraction systems for helium 3 on the moon, or water on mars, or asteroid processing in the asteroid belts.

I want to sign on with the PMCs that sort-of don't actually exist, who take money from the America funded corporations to go kick over the China funded corporations' refining dome with weapons manufactured and shipped by the scheming vatniks running the Russia funded corporations, because they blew our slag line yesterday and the interspace warfare treaties can go to hell.

I'm pissed off, I'm not paid enough, and if I don't get out of this goddamn tin can and see some stars with my own two boots in the dirt I'm going to go insane.

I want to fight hard and burn bright and be one of the first people to die on another planet in armed conflict after getting my lumps in

And a couple hundred years later I want archaeologists to dig up my bones and my gear and my weapon that have been well preserved by the martian dirt, and I want them to put me on display next to Old Glory as a reminder that regardless of whatever perfect faggot hippie communes they have it was good old fashioned tribalism and spite that put us in the stars.

I want them to respect that, and remember their roots.
>>
File: jgdnZCO.jpg (60KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
jgdnZCO.jpg
60KB, 700x700px
>>33724373
>>
I wanna see a mushroom cloud. I really do.
I'd love to be throwing the switch on an honest john, watching the contrail come up and the streak of the warhead come down, releasing a miniature sun upon advancing russians.
i'd love to grab an M60 off the ground and start firing into the advancing line with reckless abandon, just trying to hit something, because there is no victory in a nuclear war, and goddammit, if I die, I'm taking motherfuckers with me.
and as that last belt runs low, I'll see the rising streak from the scud fly up, knowing that soon I'll be baptized in nuclear hellfire.
and as that pig goes click, the airburst detonates, not that I would know.
and that all consuming fire destroys my existence in the greatest way possible, with no knowledge or pain or time for reflection, just being unmade.
and then, my soul shall be at peace, knowing it has either contributed to the world or it hasn't, and it never mattered anyway.

and then in 400 years when they rebuild that burned out hell, or if they don't, a consolation prize to our successful failure would be our names being traced over by men of the future, looking for solace in long lost comrades, harbingers of change and the future, and realizing that one cannot be reborn without dying.

that's the ideal existence.
>>
File: kids with lightsabers.gif (1MB, 228x152px) Image search: [Google]
kids with lightsabers.gif
1MB, 228x152px
I want a lightsaber. I've wanted one since I was eight.
>>
File: usa.jpg (75KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
usa.jpg
75KB, 640x360px
>>33720235

the marines actually did this
>>
>>33719858
I always wonder what happened to the MARAUDER project.
Did it succeed and make 2 milligrams of plasma reach three percent of the speed of light and explode with the force of five pounds of TNT?
Or did it die in its infancy, never to be seen again?
>>
>>33725681

That's some impressive scifi stuff right there.

That's something they could've used in Stargate and handwaved the failure of native earth tech plasma weapon being due to lack of proper high temperature superconductors and compact enough energy storage and generation.
>>
I daydream about being a MARSOC/SOCOM operator

Though realistically if I joined the military I'd go Air Force, BUT I'd try my damndest to get into K-9 unit EOD, I hear it's a greatly appreciated role in the field.
>>
>>33725014
I want to be in the killzone of an atom bomb, and when the ground around me gets bleached with radiation I'll hit a dab so I'll cast a nuclear shadow on the pavement of me dabbing that'll never wash out. Future generations will never be able to beat that shit and will hopefully abandon it for the god awful meme it is and instead spend time on more important things. Such as how to ensure the world never resorts to nuclear arms again, preventing the senseless death of thousands, if not millions of innocent lives.

That started as a shitpost I don't know what happened.
>>
Weaponized space elevators
>>
>>33722983
>>33723640
Depends on the energy of the railgun. GA is working on a 10 MJ system that it claims will be able to go on a LCS.
>>
File: KAI FA-50.gif (51KB, 675x584px) Image search: [Google]
KAI FA-50.gif
51KB, 675x584px
>>33719858
Trump goes full retard and a bunch of lefties, including myself, move to Africa and form a new country. I get put in charge of military acquisition and military strategy for the new nation.

Who can we purchase arms from? What weapon systems offer the best bang for the buck? Larger numbers of less sophisticated systems? Or small numbers of high-tech systems. Do we emphasize ground forces or air forces?
>>
File: jewish-man-laughing.gif (1MB, 300x289px) Image search: [Google]
jewish-man-laughing.gif
1MB, 300x289px
>>33728130
>lefites
>buying weapons

Don't sweat it, you'll be so busy working out gay marriage and environmental issues your country will have been invaded and annexed long before you even get to discussing defense.

Though hypothetically, you'd focus more on air forces while building up ground forces, as air superiority means you can raid overland convoys en route to cities/strategic locations, take down airborne reinforcements and battle the enemy's air force, and unless you're landlocked you can effectively counter Naval advances too. there's plenty of surplus F-14 Tomcats just sitting around, Iran's got a few I'm sure they'd be willing to part with. You could probably get the rest of what you need to supply ground troops from Generals of any middle eastern country's general, they're sleazy and underhanded enough to do deals like that for sure.
>>
>>33725681
For all we know it could have failed spectacularly at some point, delivering nothing.
>>
>>33719858

I wonder what it would be like to live in a country that won one of the wars it fought.
>>
File: Mirage 2000D 3x Mali Jan 2013.jpg (155KB, 1539x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Mirage 2000D 3x Mali Jan 2013.jpg
155KB, 1539x1024px
>>33728204
I was thinking about surplus Mirage 2000's. There shiuld be some of those available as France and other users transition to replacements like the Rafale.

There should be a decent amount of spares for the M2000 available, and it could be updated with Israeli AESA and ECM. Add a decent medium range AAM and viola! air superiority.
>>
File: Super Tucano.jpg (1MB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
Super Tucano.jpg
1MB, 1600x1067px
>>33728507
The M2000s would provide air cover for interdiction strikes by FA50s. If budget was available we could acquire Super Tucs or Air Tractors for CAS.

Ground forces would be relatively small and likely designed around mobility and slowing the enemy's ground advances while the AF does its thing. 8 wheel APCs and upgraded surplus M60s or T55s would make up our armored forces.
>>
Our biggest challenges would be slowing enemy ground advances and the threat to our AF from SAMs. With no dedicated Wild Weasels/SEAD, those FA50's could get torn up.
>>
>>33725681
It's been dark for over twenty years. It's a dead program that may have fed into other plasma physics related S&T work.
>>
>>33724373
Sounds a bit like Sully from Uncharted
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.