[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm making plans to buy a suppressor. Can't decide

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: DSC03213.jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03213.jpg
25KB, 480x360px
I'm making plans to buy a suppressor. Can't decide between dropping cash on one for my 1911, or one for my 10/22. Thoughts? Advice?
>>
1911, so you can home defend without blowing your eardrums out
>>
I second the 1911 suppressor, more practical and looks cooler
>>
>>33715838
45. then you can shoot 45 down to 9mm. 22 cans are fun but 10/22's, at least either of mine, cant cycle sub sonic rounds which kinda takes away the fun. besides, you can save up for a 22 can before the 45 comes back
>>
Capitol Armory and some others occasionally have a buy a Hybrid and get a .22 can for the cost of the tax stamp.

No harm in shooting .22 through a .45 suppressor, as long as you don't mind the filth and can take it apart.
>>
>>33715838
Snake. Do you remember the basics of CQC?
>>
I'd suggest getting the .22lr can. You can often tweak spring strength and smooth out the action enough that subs will cycle. Heck, on my ancient all-steel Unique D4 pistol subs cycle just fine. Not quite down to CCI Quiet, but anything in the 800fps to 1050fps range works just fine. Just used a shortened Glock 19 firing pin spring for a recoil spring, with a polyethylene buffer. I say go with the more fun plinking can because while the big guy could certainly damage your hearing, it's not nearly so quiet for range time and thus nowhere near the giggle factor of a well engineered can for a .22" plinking session.
>>
I've got a bunch of cans. I first went for pistol cans and that was fun for a while but pistols become more unwieldy with a can attached and some have problems cycling. It also slows the action down dramatically. Rifle cans aren't as effective in the sound due to most rounds being supersonic but they affect the gun less. You'll get more blowback out of the action with some guns but overall I have more fun shooting suppressed rifles. If you get a tight twist 10/22 barrel for shooting aguila 60grain subs or a .300blerkert with subs you'll have a blast. If I had to sell my collection, those two would be the last two to go.
>>
>>33715838
"Hi, /k/ - should I buy a suppressor for my really loud gun, or for my really quiet gun?"

Ugh.
>>
>>33715838
Out of curiosity, of much do suppressors cost in the US ? I now they're pricy but not much more, what's the starting price for a .22 suppressor for example ?
>>
>>33717861
>what's the starting price for a .22 suppressor for example ?
I paid $238 for my Outback IID and $595 for my Octane 9 in 2014.
>>
>>33717918
Damn ! I can't seem to find the ones you have in my country, but the budget ones here start at ~25 euros.
>>
>>33718016
ITAR makes export of anything weapons related from the US a virtual impossibility. Couple that with the significantly higher skilled labor costs for domestic production and I'm not really surprised.
>>
As previously mentioned, you can shoot .22 though a 45 can.

Their is a video on jewtube of a rugged obsidian being tested on 45s, 9mms, and. 22 rifle and pistol.

I'm addition to being one of the quietest 45 cans available it also does great on the. 22s. It also has a short config, so for .22 you can shorten the can up to something much more weildy and still have great supression.

.22 cans are cheap though

I actually have an Obsidian and an element 2 in NFA jail.
>>
>>33717861

paid $800 plus $200 tax stamp for my silencerco osprey

just paid $400 plus $200 tax stamp for el camino from silencershop
>>
>>33715866

>nogunz detected
>>
>>33717861
I paid...maybe 20 bucks for steel wool, PVC pipes, mounting options, and glue, and still haven't built it because I haven't seen a response from the ATF after I sent off for my tax stamp.
>>
>>33718093
And also there's the fact that suppressors aren't that common of an accessory due to the NFA and there's also the cost of "fuck you, I have an SOT and thousands of dollars in tooling you don't."
>>
>>33723748
Oops...no longer OP
>>
>>33715838
1911, yes, you can you give me a quick rundown on a few factory models that come with a TB? 1911 is my next purchase, Should I just go with the Rem R1 with the thread barrel?
>>
>>33715838
put in two stamps or just hope and pray hearing protection act passes. Get a multi cal suppressor if you can only get one, something .45 - 9 like the rest of these cucks already basically mentioned.
>>
Is there a suppressor that registers the tube as the NFA item and has replaceable cores for caliber conversion?
>>
semi-related question

how much energy does subsonic .308 have? I have a bolt .308 with a threaded barrel that I'm looking to get a suppressor for, and looking online I can get subsonic 7.62x51 for about $1 per round. being a boltgun it would be damn quiet, but does it even have enough energy to take deer with?
>>
File: 1911 and can.jpg (680KB, 960x1279px) Image search: [Google]
1911 and can.jpg
680KB, 960x1279px
>>33715838
Get it for your 1911. Suppressed 1911 is stupid fun. My AAC Ti-rant is about flush with the top of my stock sights, have no problem shooting bottles at 25 yards with the can.

Only downside is that after 75-100 rounds, the gun gets incredibly dirty. Mine started failing to go into battery the first time I shot suppressed at 75 rounds. Last time I went I made sure there was zero oil on it and it made it until I ran out of ammo, about 150 rounds
>>
File: sbr and can.jpg (161KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
sbr and can.jpg
161KB, 1280x960px
>>33724613
This. I got my can about a month ago and Im kicking myself for not ordering a 7.62 can as well for my ARs and anything in 308 I might get later.

Seriously, buy two. My wait time was 10 months and I'm sure it's only gone up.

Speaking of that, I'm this guy
>>33724632
I have a 9mm SBR that I also put my can on. I want to get another pistol caliber can.
Should I just buy another Ti-rant 45, as I am very happy with it and already have pistons for .45 and 9mm, or should I go with something different, like the Rugged Obsidian? It was my first choice but was sold out when I was trying to submit my shit before 41f
>>
File: big poppa little babby.jpg (1MB, 2600x1733px) Image search: [Google]
big poppa little babby.jpg
1MB, 2600x1733px
>>33715838
.22 for sure. I don't get why people even try to suppress .45, it's uncomfortably loud. Even 9mm is pushing fun quiet. .22 for getting your toes wet then get something practical like 5.56 or 9mm!

>>33717861
They span a large range.

The cheapest of cheap .22 suppressors are around $100, and some of the most expensive might be around $500. Most are around $300.

Cheap pistol suppressors with linear compensators start around $400 up to maybe $1,000. Most are around $650. Subtract ~$150 without a linear compensator.

Cheap rifle suppressors start at maybe $300 and go up to $2,000. Most are around $700 for small bore and $900 for .30 cal.

There is usually a palpable difference in machining quality and especially materials quality between "cheap" and "expensive" suppressors in the US. The cheap ones can be pretty scary bad (Huntertown Arms, Checkmate, early YHM). Because of the difficulty involved in registration, waiting and taxation, most people won't tolerate super cheap throwaway suppressors and are willing to pay more for good quality.
>>
>>33724613
Not to my knowledge. As an end user, you could not legally posses extra cores without serial numbers and tax stamps for them, but a manufacturer COULD offer a caliber change service. I have not heard of one who does though.

The closest I've seen is different caliber end caps, but last I heard the ATF clamped down on that practice too, so you need to send your suppressor to the manufacturer to have the end cap changed.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.