[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I have a dumb idea. Takedown rifles in centerfire cartridges

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: dumb idea.jpg (39KB, 800x275px) Image search: [Google]
dumb idea.jpg
39KB, 800x275px
So I have a dumb idea.

Takedown rifles in centerfire cartridges are pretty much unobtanium for most of us who don't have a few grand lying around.

With one notable kind of exception: Single shots.

Now, they're not GOOD guns, per se. At least not off the rack ones. They're definitely not going to hold their own against bolt actions or even most semi's, but they do have one major advantage. They're fucking tiny, and easily break down. They're fantastic as ad-hoc takedowns, and some are even purpose built for it. (See pic related).

What I'm thinking about isn't a change in doctrine for anyone, since no shit. BUT as a purpose-built weapon, one that could be

>Fit into almost any backpack
>Be lighter than anything other than a handgun or the most carbon-fibered ARs.
>Assembled quickly in the field.
>Exist in a variety of chamberings to suit various needs(.243 and .45-70 seem particularly popular)
>Cheap as dirt, even when extra work like cutting or threading barrels is accounted for
>Either disassembled and stashed after use or discarded, depending on the legality of the situation

I'm not suggesting single shot rifles make good fighting guns. I am suggesting they make a fantastic KILLING gun, for food (or at least one target if you choose the murdery path).

Thinking of starting with pic related (CVA Scout Takedown in .243, ~300 bucks on the high end), having the barrel chopped to 16 and threaded, and fucking around with an impromptu suppressor.

I call it the Tactical Hobo Objective Takedown.

Thoughts?
>>
>>33714186
>>Be lighter than anything other than a handgun or the most carbon-fibered ARs.
if you shoot anything with real recoil a lightweight gun is a disadvantage
>>
>>33714222

Not if you're only shooting once.

Also, most of them are chambered in either intermediates or the lower end of full-size (.308, .270, etc). Not really an issue.
>>
>>33714222
It doesn't matter how much it sucks if I only have to deal with it for less than a second.
>>
>>33714234
I actually found .270 to be more brutal on the shoulder than .30-06
>>
>>33714242

Really? Not my experience, but I believe you. It's a little sharper, less of a push, but it's kind of the same with .45 and 9mm I think.
>>
>>33714186
>2017
>Still owning guns

Wow.....
>>
>>33714247
Keep in mind I'm a 194cm lanklet and the last time I shot .270 was when I was 16 and just barely started lifting weights so it was right on bone. Maybe it'd be different now.
>>
>>33714186

... so backpack assassination gun?
>>
>>33714281
>... so backpack assassination gun?

"Yes" would be the wrong answer for a variety of reasons, but none of them are the validity of your assumption.
>>
>>33714186
Kel Tec PLR 16 is like 450 bucks.

Can build an AR for really fucking cheap and slap the takedown pin into a pistol upper when you need to deploy it.
>>
>>33714254
>1488
>Still owning liberals
>>
File: IMG_3545.jpg (229KB, 800x1289px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3545.jpg
229KB, 800x1289px
>>33714186
>Takedown rifles in centerfire cartridges are pretty much unobtanium for most of us who don't have a few grand lying around.
AR15
>>
>>33714186

Trying to come up with tacticool arguments for zany SHTF scenarios where a single shot would be the bestest.. look, just buy guns you like anon. Not everything has to be a Glock and an AR15.

Single shots are fun, just fucking buy it and go hunting with it. Or don't, or whatever.
>>
File: IMAG0769.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0769.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
Here is my take on what you are suggesting. Iver Johnson 12ga cut down to 18.5" and cerakoted. Breaks down to about 2x 20" pieces
>>
>>33714294
I like the way you think. Stylish post.
However, bear in mind that for this idea you're describing, practice with the weapon will be more important than ever, given that you only get one shot, so shooting it a lot will be an inevitability. If you lighten the gun, you will feel the recoil the next morning.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.